Menu

What do you think, reading this tutor's response?

Weird. I would first ask for referrals and call those before a 'meet and greet'.

Good idea.

What he is saying is that he will not do a free session. He expects to be paid if you even meet with him.

So meet with him for one hour if you think he might have the best credentials or be the best fit, pay him, and then proceed if you wish to continue with him.

Okay....<big heavy sigh>

I think he definitely sounds arrogant, not just confident. But it probably really is just because he was a little too informal. Additionally, I absolutely have found that people (like employers) really like how I come off in person while I don't do as well in writing. *I* wouldn't have said it though. Well, I *have* said it, but not to a potential employer :) And I think that it *does* say something if all but four people have ever not hired him (assuming that is truthful). He probably thinks it says enough to mention it. I would not.

Anyway, so I have a mixed feeling about him. Honestly, he may be THAT good and wants you to be confident you'll like him and his ability. In that way, I'd give him a chance. However, I definitely see how his arrogance is off-putting and may be a consideration.

BTW, if you DO give him a chance and hire him, maybe after you get to know him a bit better, you can offer him some constructive criticism about how he came off initially.

Just to be fair? Math and science types are not always the best at communicating their intentions. I'm great at communicating, but you don't want me for a math tutor. Just sayin'. ;):lol:

I agree. Science and math people tend to geeky. And the ones that I know STINK at grammar/English. I'd at least give him the 15 minutes. If you don't like him, you've only lost 15 minutes. If you do like him, you've got a great tutor.

But he is not just supposed to be a math and science type, he is supposed to teach. Which requires communication.

A teacher who can't express himself in his initial communication would mean an automatic no for me.

Also, someone who is so full of himself or at least comes across that way would not be among my choices.

While I'm not a fan of the note, I don't think I'd write the guy off entirely just yet, especially if you're having trouble finding someone with the proper credentials. However, I would not hire a tutor -- or anyone else, for that matter -- on the spot, Obviously, I'm not you, but my own inclination would be to write back something along the lines of:

"Thanks for your message. I appreciate the information about your usual practices, and that is certainly an impressive approval rating! However, I'm afraid that we would need to arrange for a 'meet and greet' without the expectation of a tutoring session immediately afterward, as my son and I will want to discuss the matter a bit before moving forward. Would it be possible to set up a 20-minute appointment for us all to meet, go over expectations, and look at some materials? if so, please let me know."

And then see what he says. If he gives you a hard time, then he's probably not the tutor for you.

While I'm not a fan of the note, I don't think I'd write the guy off entirely just yet, especially if you're having trouble finding someone with the proper credentials. However, I would not hire a tutor -- or anyone else, for that matter -- on the spot, Obviously, I'm not you, but my own inclination would be to write back something along the lines of:

"Thanks for your message. I appreciate the information about your usual practices, and that is certainly an impressive approval rating! However, I'm afraid that we would need to arrange for a 'meet and greet' without the expectation of a tutoring session immediately afterward, as my son and I will want to discuss the matter a bit before moving forward. Would it be possible to set up a 20-minute appointment for us all to meet, go over expectations, and look at some materials? if so, please let me know."

And then see what he says. If he gives you a hard time, then he's probably not the tutor for you.

I like this! A lot! Thank you, Jenny.

Wow, this guy has had 400 students over 11yrs (99% excluding the 4 students)-sounds fishy!

You know what, I hadn't even thought about that. The tutoring site says that he has 132 ratings from students. Students can rate each session so some of those at least are repeat students. So no, he has not had 400 students, at least with this agency.

I interpret it as: he will not charge you for meeting with you for a 5-15 minute meeting. He expects you to decide on the spot. If you decide to hire him, then he wants to do an hour+ tutoring session immediately following the meeting.

:iagree:

You know what, I hadn't even thought about that. The tutoring site says that he has 132 ratings from students. Students can rate each session so some of those at least are repeat students. So no, he has not had 400 students, at least with this agency.

Every person who uses him *has* to rate? If they "can" each session, must they at least once?

When I am pushed into rating, or have to make a mandatory comment, my comment is always "please don't make this mandatory" or "this rating is unreliable because it was forced, not volunteered".

Every person who uses him *has* to rate? If they "can" each session, must they at least once?

When I am pushed into rating, or have to make a mandatory comment, my comment is always "please don't make this mandatory" or "this rating is unreliable because it was forced, not volunteered".

Well, no one is going to come out to your house and hold you at gunpoint unless you do. But you get a reminder to do so after the tutor logs in his hours after each session. With our former tutor I only rated him a couple of times for a couple of month's worth of lessons. They did ask for a posted review on him when we started to look for someone new. I hesitated at first because while I didn't want to hurt his chances for tutoring, there were problems. I ended up saying, "XXXXX was very good at explaining mathematical and scientific concepts to my son but had a problem with punctuality." I came to the conclusion to share that because I realized that other parents/students rely on these comments just as I do, to find a good fit.