Menu

Kindergarten - how often

Way back when I did K, I used My Father's World and thought it was wonderful!! It took us about 1/2 hour a day and we did it 5 days a week. BUT I was also in the process of proving to dh that I could follow a schedule and homeschool. I covered everything they said to cover each day.

Now if you aren't Christian, you won't like MFW. But I loved it.

4 days/week. Maybe 2 hours/day. But, that includes me reading to her for quite a while.

We do:

Math (Horizons)

FIAR (this includes a lot of art, geography, etc, etc)

poetry memorization (right now - Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening)

handwriting (copywork. Occasionally dictation)

Read alouds (Wizard of Oz right now)

Phonics (Phonics Pathways, and Pathway Readers)

Bible - Telling God's Story

For science, she goes to the library and finds books on animals she wants to learn about. So far, she's picked a lot of animals I don't like! Bats, bees, snakes. LOL

We do 5x a week, 30-45 minutes. I think a little bit everyday is better than a lot 3 days a week.

Her subjects:

Math

Phonics

Writing

Spanish

And she tags along for any subjects her older brother does.

She also does Tae Kwon Do twice a week and piano once a week

We do 5x a week, 30-45 minutes. I think a little bit everyday is better than a lot 3 days a week.

Her subjects:

Math

Phonics

Writing

Spanish

And she tags along for any subjects her older brother does.

She also does Tae Kwon Do twice a week and piano once a week

That makes sense to me. I was wondering how people were doing K 5 hrs a day the whole week!

We did 4x/week.

About 1 hour a day, not counting read alouds or projects.

Phonics/reading

Math

Handwriting

Bible

We did history in the context of holidays and science/nature study as we found it in our back yard or at the park. Lots of outside time.

Lots of creative playing, arts and crafts, listening to music, going to concerts, plays, puppet shows, library story time etc.

Wow, compared to you all I don't do much... but that's the way I choose to. I really don't feel like they need to do much "school" in Kindergarten, they certainly don't in public school. We do FIAR when we get a chance to, that might be 30 minutes. He does 100EZ lessons for reading, 15 min. Handwriting when we feel like it with some free printouts or a lined white board. Math is just practicing counting up to 100, counting by 2, 5 and 10, sorting, catagorizing, etc. We also do plenty of read alouds as a family. I really don't schedule anything but the FIAR, and at this moment, I haven't picked it back up from Christmas break just yet.

We do math and handwriting pretty much every day. Also, minimum 15 minutes independent reading and at least as much time being read aloud to. If she wasn't reading, we'd work on that every day. We're taking a year to really solidify reading, and won't introduce spelling until first grade.

Other than that, she will occasionally sit in during history studies with my older child. Her book selections tend to co-relate to our current history study's era, so she's getting a bit of pre-exposure.

Oh, she's also been doing a state study with my older student. Just one state each week or so, using Simply States. We read a book at her level, write the capital and state name for penmanship practice, locate the state on the map, and re-inforce all of that with some board games (Nat Geo, Sequence, etc.)

And lastly, we follow Catholic Mosaic program which schedules books for the church year. We usually do a craft and discussion with the books. It's not a regularly scheduled thing, though, just "extra" stuff.

We are going to do the same thing in the coming year as we have done this year. We don't do the same time each day. I just fit things here and there into our week where they will work.

Reading - 5 days, 15 minutes of reading aloud to me to check pronunciation (I don't even try to keep track of what she reads on her own.) Our planned time was closer to 20 minutes when we were beginning instruction.

Writing - 5 days scheduled but about 3 actually happen, 5 minutes or so to write a sentence for copywork

Math - 5 days, 15 minutes of working through one of our two current programs or playing with manipulatives

French - 4 days scheduled but usually 6 happen, 15 minutes to 1 hour, shorter time is reading together or talking and longer is some kind of media in French

Science - 1 activity/week, lots of reading together

History - lots of reading together

Music/Art - 5 days with at least one messy or noisy activity

30 min/day

reading, math, handwriting

read-aloud 20 min/day

drawing or something artsy 30 min/day when I remember

When my olders where little we did so much more. It makes me sad actually. We used to read for hours every day. We did geography and science and history.

My little guys are getting the short end of the stick for sure.:tongue_smilie:

Math, Phonics, Handwriting. Maybe 30 minutes to an hour a day? But that wouldn't count me reading to her or her doing art/crafts or piano practice. Or another sibling reading to her, or participating in our family "together time" when we read the Bible, pray, read and memorize poetry/Bible verses/creeds, etc. I can't imagine those who are doing 5 hours of K a day. I find if I keep the tv off, education happens for that age.

About 1.5-2 hrs, 5 days a week. That might include Saturday instead of a different day if we were out, etc.

Daily:

30 min on phonics (only b/c she is dawdling constantly- could be done in 10-15)

15 math

15 bible/devo

15 handwriting/ETC/worksheets

Probably every other day:

15-30 Science/Art

4 days/week 4-5 hrs/day. On the fifth day, she has a home school class, which is mostly just fun stuff.

I wanted to add that during those 4-5 hrs, we take many breaks. This includes 30 minutes on Starfall or another educational computer game, lunch and a couple of breaks. We do a great deal of hands on, reading and arts and crafts type stuff, so it is not just work, work, work. =)

Wow, compared to you all I don't do much... but that's the way I choose to. I really don't feel like they need to do much "school" in Kindergarten, they certainly don't in public school. We do FIAR when we get a chance to, that might be 30 minutes. He does 100EZ lessons for reading, 15 min. Handwriting when we feel like it with some free printouts or a lined white board. Math is just practicing counting up to 100, counting by 2, 5 and 10, sorting, catagorizing, etc. We also do plenty of read alouds as a family. I really don't schedule anything but the FIAR, and at this moment, I haven't picked it back up from Christmas break just yet.

I do more with my younger ones now than I used to. It is the price they pay for having older siblings. :001_smile:

If we are doing seat work, everyone is doing seat work. The 4th grader will be done long after the pre-k, but everyone will have done thier work. Everyone has either foreign language or speech work, math (even if it manipulative games or pre- math skills), english or pre-reading skills, a logic assignment, and a fun activity or game.

We do at least 30 min/day on math and handwriting. When he started reading the directions in OPGTR to me instead of his part of the lesson we quit that and will start a spelling program with phonics rules soon. He listens in for history and science with his older sisters. I would love to get back to FIAR but I'm having a hard time getting everything done with the older kids and can't get it to fit.

We do it 5 days a week for about 30 minutes. We do phonics/reading, math and handwriting. Occasionally, we'll do A Beka's "Social Studies" curriculum if I have a little extra time. I guess it would do for her to know what the Statue of LIberty is and who George Washington is. My goals for her are to learn to read, and be prepared for 1st grade math.

So what are you guys doing for K?

Are you doing 3 days a week?

Are you doing full days?

What subjects/activities?

We do 5 days/wk. We spend about 1 to 1-1/2 hrs doing math, our learning to read program (which includes penmanship, spelling, etc), and phonics readers. She also tags along with DS during science, math, art, and readalouds... so that's another 1-2 hrs/day BUT during that time she comes and goes as she pleases. Then there is piano practice, dance, AWANAS homework (memorization and readalouds), and her AHG Pathfinder stuff (more memorization, reading and readalouds, art, etc).... That's probably another 1-2 hrs/day....

But what I truly consider as kindergarten is the 1 to 1-1/2 hrs focused on the 3 R's.

We spend about an hour to an hour and a half 5 days a week on K.

She does:

Math (MEP)

MFW K program (phonics, science, bible, writing, some math)

Memorization (I am kind of embarrassed to say that I failed to teach my baby any nursery rhymes, so we're making up for it now)

And that's about it. I've never worried about kindergarten.

I manage to cover reading, writing, math, language, counting, reading number words, sign language, writing in a journal and additional reading in under 2 hours at the most. You have to remember that they do not spend a huge amount of time on any subject in Kindergarten in ps. My ds went to ps for K and the amount of true seat work was minimal. He went for a whole day but he had lunch, an hour to rest or look at a book, health(videos), music, gym, outside time, working with manipulative, circle time(teacher reading aloud), time for practicing counting, and some light social studies and science. Oh and plus they had one of the older kids come in to work one on one with each kid to practice reading with them. You would be surprised what you manage to teach your child in a day. Besides each child is different. If I asked my ds to sit still like my daughter does in K there would have been a riot. Don't stress yourself out on trying to cram everything you can into a day. I learned a few important lessons over the past 8 years. One is that you will be surprised what your child is learning that you do not even realize they are grasping and two don't stress yourself out because they will learn what they need to by the end of the school year. Good luck and enjoy this first year on a journey of exploration together!:)