Menu

Slippers!

In the cooler months particularly I wear slippers all the time around the house.

Problem is, the $10-$20 slippers tend to wear out within a month or so. The dear foams I started wearing in November are already threadbaren.

I do have a pair of Lands' End that have held up better and those are on sale right now, but I was curious if I could get suggestions.

I do see a pair of Ugg slippers for $56/shipped and that seems outrageous to me, but if they last several years that would be a savings over my $30 per season on the cheaper ones.

Any other suggestions, particularly from you who are heavy use slipper wearers!

Thanks,

Dawn

LL Bean's Wicked Good Scuffs or Slippers. They are toasty warm and hold up GREAT. DH has a pair that is a few years old and he walks around outside in his. I just got a pair and they are delightful.

They are usually $50, shipped, but I got mine on sale for $30, shipped. TOTALLY worth it :)

ETA: I used to go through a pair a year, until these. They aren't the cutest things, but everything else about them is perfection.

I looked at those briefly last night.

They are $60 at present, but I can hang on with my current slippers until they go on sale. If they go to $30 in the next month or so that would be great.

Lands' End slippers are already half off.

Dawn

LL Bean's Wicked Good Scuffs or Slippers. They are toasty warm and hold up GREAT. DH has a pair that is a few years old and he walks around outside in his. I just got a pair and they are delightful.

They are usually $50, shipped, but I got mine on sale for $30, shipped. TOTALLY worth it :)

ETA: I used to go through a pair a year, until these. They aren't the cutest things, but everything else about them is perfection.

I have a problem with even expensive slippers holding up. I've had a few pairs with the shearling inside and within a few months it starts wearing down to the sole. My current pair has a rubber sole and can be worn outside so are still useful (others without rubber sole I've put holes right through them) but the lining wears uneven and bunches up so is slightly uncomfortable. I have extremely rough feet and I wear them without socks so YMMV.

I wear slippers that look like Uggs but are not. Many stores carry similar styles. I usually get them off season, on sale, for the next winter. I paid $18 last spring for the ones I have now and they will last me till next winter. I like that style because it has a thicker sole, a fleecy lining, and the practically indestructible suede upper. I wear mine with socks.

Edited by Onceuponatime

LL Bean Wicked Good slippers are wonderful! It's really cold where I live and these things keep my feet toasty warm. Mine are in their second year and I wear them all day for about 5 months a year. They look like new.

My only complaint is that I wear a size 7 in nearly every shoe and these are size 7 and feel too large for me. I don't think they felt large when I first got them or I would have returned them for a smaller size. I guess they stretched.

We have hardwood floors, so good slippers are a completely necessity in my book. I have had Ugg slippers. I watch sierra trading for deals on good slippers. I often end up with slippers like this (Acorn) and they hold up very well!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/acorn-boiled-wool-mule-slippers-for-women~p~3731y/?filterString=womens-slippers~d~270%2F&colorFamily=04

Super tempted to order this pair at this price! I don't bother with really cheap ones any more. I am too hard on them. I literally wear them for hours and hours every day. More than any pair of my shoes.

Right and I don't mind a good knock off, but I keep reading poor reviews for the knock offs, the lining/shearing bunching up or even coming off and leaving bald spots.

I really don't care WHAT brand they are as long as they are really good and will last.

I don't own a pair of UGG boots and don't care about the name, but I do want quality.

Dawn

I wear slippers that look like Uggs but are not. Many stores carry similar styles. I usually get them off season, on sale, for the next winter. I paid $18 last spring for the ones I have now and they will last me till next winter. I like that style because it has a thicker sole, a fleecy lining, and the practically indestructible suede upper. I wear mine with socks.

Have you had this brand? Those are really nice looking.

Dawn

We have hardwood floors, so good slippers are a completely necessity in my book. I have had Ugg slippers. I watch sierra trading for deals on good slippers. I often end up with slippers like this (Acorn) and they hold up very well!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/acorn-boiled-wool-mule-slippers-for-women~p~3731y/?filterString=womens-slippers~d~270%2F&colorFamily=04

Super tempted to order this pair at this price! I don't bother with really cheap ones any more. I am too hard on them. I literally wear them for hours and hours every day. More than any pair of my shoes.

I wear mukluks slippers and boots. I wear my slippers 6/7 days! I'm home so I wear them as my main "shoe". I go outside to take the dogs out, I go to the end of the drive everyday to get the mail, I wear them all around the house, and even wear them out on the deck to take the trash out.

:001_smile:HTH!

I've owned the ones from Walmart that are always available on black friday. They have held up GREAT BUT they leave my feet smelling like they rotted. I never have this problem with any of my shoes or other brand slippers! I thought it was just me until I asked my dear friend who got a pair the same time I did and she said she threw hers out because of this! Thank goodness! Plus I notice that in the ladies version they don't have memory type foam in them and are hard on the foot, but warm. My dh has a pair of the mens version and his have held up, they are the type with memory foam inside and they are warm. However I find him in his mukluks more often too! They are just comfy and warm.

Edited by mamaofblessings

I bought mine at Thanksgiving after never owned any. They are the warmest slipper I've ever worn (no they are not supposed to be slippers, but that is how I wear them). I have Raynauds syndrome (poor circulation) so I am always cold, especially my feet. I have not had cold feet at all t his year, and we live almost into Wisconsin! I also love that I can wear them outside if I need to let the dog out, and just wipe off the sole with a paper towel!

Three suggestions:

One is to get some heavy down booties from a camping store. They are often used by hard-core winter campers, so they are tougher and warmer.

Another suggestion is to get a pair with soft rubber soles. My husband got me a pair on some internet site. The rubber soles hold up way longer than cloth slippers.

Finally, you could consider Crocs as house shoes. Get the kind with a fuzzy liner, or you can wear thick wool socks with regular Crocs. They last nearly forever.

Mine HAVE rubber soles, that isn't where they are wearing out. They are wearing out inside, where your foot goes.

Crocs are definitely in the running.

Dawn

Three suggestions:

One is to get some heavy down booties from a camping store. They are often used by hard-core winter campers, so they are tougher and warmer.

Another suggestion is to get a pair with soft rubber soles. My husband got me a pair on some internet site. The rubber soles hold up way longer than cloth slippers.

Finally, you could consider Crocs as house shoes. Get the kind with a fuzzy liner, or you can wear thick wool socks with regular Crocs. They last nearly forever.

Guest Lianne69

Hi there, from a Uk perpective i suspect we make the best slippers around here. So if any of you are over here then I suggest you pick up a few pairs. We have companies that sell their own hand made slippers, yes they are expensive but they last for a very long time. For women's slippers I suggest that drapers of Glastonbury are just about the best ones to buy. They cost around £80 a pair for sheepskin slippers and even though they have soft soles they do last. But don't remember that over here the majority of people still have wall to wall carpets in their homes rather than hardwood. My huddy wears church slippers. These are all leather hand made and last for years. However I do insist that he gets a new pair every year as they can get a little "stinky" We don't allow shoes in the house(expensive carpets) so unless you want frozen feet for most of the year, then slippers are a must. Its possible that the slippers I mentioned are available in the USA but may be subject to heavy import duty. However if is possible that they are superior(and a lot more expensive )than anything that's generally available in the USA.

I also went through several pairs of acorns and other brands. I finally settled on crocs. Love them. I have the ones with the fleece liner...but the liner eventually wore out. I took out the liner and now I wear them with warm socks and they are still going strong. I think this pair is going on 3 years or more.

I looked at those briefly last night.

They are $60 at present, but I can hang on with my current slippers until they go on sale. If they go to $30 in the next month or so that would be great.

Lands' End slippers are already half off.

Dawn

The Wicked slippers are worth every penny!!! If they go on sale, post it here, please!!!! I'd love to buy a few pairs for gifts. I've had mine for 3 years now.... and wear them daily, October-March.... they are wonderful!