Menu

I'm pregnant (and sick) and I really need independent Kindergarten ideas

JRmommy

I feel like I am doing a disservice to my 5 year old son. I am 12 weeks pregnant, and I've been so sick for the last 5 weeks or so, that I can barely do anything but lay down on the couch all day. I am really hoping that this is just a first trimester thing, and will go away soon.

My son is not very independent. He likes to do things with me. But, I just can't right now.

I really need ideas to help keep him busy instead of watching tv all day long. Before becoming sick, he only watched a half an hour a day. I am too embarrassed to say how much he watches now. He is a strong reader, maybe 3rd grade level, but still will not read for more than 15 minutes at a time. For math, we are doing a mix of Miquon and Rightstart, but Rightstart is just too teacher intensive for me right now. I've stocked up on audio books from the library and educational DVDs. I've thought about purchasing some workbooks (even though I dislike busy work). I heard about Lollipop Logic. Any other good ones? He has Mighty Mind which he likes a lot. He does play with his cars and stuffed animals. I just can't seem to keep him busy enough.

Any ideas that can help me get my son from watching so much tv right now would be most appreciative!

Lollipop Logic is great, but not necessary right now while you are sick. Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling would be great for you two to snuggle up on the couch and do some school. Others like Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading instead, you could do either one. However, while you are sick I wouldn't worry about more than reading. You can always pick up on math, etc... when you are feeling better.

If you want to make his TV time productive I highly recommend:

LeapFrog: Letter Factory

LeapFrog: Talking Words Factory

LeapFrog: Math Adventure to the Moon

Edited by Bloggermom

Any ideas that can help me get my son from watching so much tv right now would be most appreciative!

Just because he can read on that level, I'd still bring home as many beautiful picture books as I could get hubby to find at the library.

My son loved David Attenborough at that age: Life of Birds, etc. He learned a great deal. The Vox Music Masters were a favorite then, too.

Can you lie on the couch and read aloud?

Can you lie on the couch and play War (cards).

Kumon workbooks were bright and attractive to my son at that age, too.

I have the same problem. I am also 12 weeks pregnant. I am starting to feel better, but my son got a 6 week vacation between holidays and me feeling sick.

A few.weeks of tv won't cause permanent damage. Have him bring you a book or two to read. Tale turns reading out loud to each other. Buy some new arts supplies. My kids will play with paint and playdough for hours!

I know you say he isn't very independent, but is it possible for him to use a computer? DD was about that age when she started with a little help, and she is a pro at it now.

If so - I'd highly recommend the Jumpstart pre-k and K programs - we mostly unschooled the last year or so using these, and DD learned just as much as she would have in school with formal lessons. They are a lot of fun too!

Okay, I know people hate hearing this so muxh, but I'm going to say the usual anyway, lol. He's very young, and you can relax about school right now. My dd was also 5 when I was pg w/# 2. I didn't qualify as having hyperemesis, but I was very sick. I vomited 3 to 5 times a day, every day, for about 15-17 weeks. That went from week 8 or so until week 23 or so. Before and after that I was horribly nauseated for many weeks. The last time I vomited was at week 38 or something, so I totally understand feeling terrible.

I couldn't snuggled up and read a lot, because all the talking made me sick. I let her play a lot on Webkinz (this is how she learned to read numbers into the hundreds or thousands) and I got Time4Learning, which she did sporadically. She watched lots of Magic School

If he can use the computer, register at The Head of the Class. It is a FREE complete curriculum for Prek-5th with worksheets, activities, experiments, videos, stories, etc, for every subject.

You can customize each subject for any level he would need. So you could have 3rd grade reading, 1st grade art, 2nd grade math, K science: whatever grade level he is in for each subject. The best part is that it is FREE! :D

Even if he only did it until you are feeling better, it would definitely keep him constructively busy and entertain him at the same time (my ds started to think TV was his mom/dad when I was pregnant with dd & had hyperemesis gravidarum, so don't feel bad about too much TV time :grouphug:)

Reading Rainbow Videos are great because they are real people taking clearly and slowly with a short "field trip" video and then a clear presentation of the book (but it's not silly cartoons)

Starfall has interactive storybooks since your son is already reading well.

Picture books by the dozen. My kids loved them.

Have dh stock up on art supplies and let your ds create whenever he wants.

I was so ill, I was nearly hospitalized with first and my second wasn't much better. But with both of them the sickness was gone like the switch of a button at 18 weeks. There is hope!

Have you talked to your doctor? Have you tried to eat crackers in the morning and do prenatal exercises? Have you found certain things that trigger feeling sick? I would just be worrying. If I was that sick for that long I would speak to the doctor.

I had a pregnancy like that. There's not much you can do.

Can you unschool this year? He's only 5. I would just let him play and if you feel up to it, do some read-alouds with him. I wouldn't feel guilty at all about it. Didn't Charlotte Mason say that she wouldn't start academics with a kid under 7? 5 is just so little-especially boys.

I had a pregnancy like that. There's not much you can do.

Can you unschool this year? He's only 5. I would just let him play and if you feel up to it, do some read-alouds with him. I wouldn't feel guilty at all about it. Didn't Charlotte Mason say that she wouldn't start academics with a kid under 7? 5 is just so little-especially boys.

I don't think 5 year olds need so much either but what if you had a job? I mean what if you had to go to work? 5 weeks on the couch is a pretty big thing.

If it were me, for K I would only focus on doing Math. phonics and handwriting. I would do ABEKA "A handbook for reading" it's very simple and gets the job done. I do 1 small page a day. I would also use the Leapfrog videos for phonics while you lay on the couch and rest :001_smile:. I like workbooks because I think it helps to learn when you write it down. So this is what I do for my K. You could even set her up a little lapdesk on the floor by the couch so you could help her while you rest. I remember when I was prego and schooling.

This is what I do for K (I don't think you need to do a bunch of stuff for K, just the basics)

Phonics: ABEKA (Handbook for Reading)

ABEKA K workbook

Explode the Code

Math: ABEKA Math workbook

Handwriting - Using Zaner-Bloser (next year for my K, I think I'm going to do "A Reason for Handwriting"

I like ABEKA for K, but will move to CLE for 1st. Keep in mind you could do videos that would help. If you wanted to do a history or something like that, my kids like "Liberty Kids" I get it off Youtube and hook my laptop to the TV to put it on the big TV for all of them to watch. Leapster has taught great phonics and Magic School Bus they love for Science.

These are just a couple ideas that you could do while you're not feeling well. Don't forget about just taking time to read and snuggle. :001_smile:

And what if space aliens invaded her bedroom to find out if she's working hard enough? ....

Perhaps you never had a pregnancy like this, but I had two. I can assure you that the OP has talked to her doctor, tried every trick in the book, and is so miserable that it's just a good and blessed thing she doesn't have to go to work, and if her dh is like mine, he was heroic and manly enough to understand and it's OK for her to just "get by" right now.

:chillpill:

I have a K'er in ps. He brings home a ton of papers everyday, most of them filled with practicing writing numbers, simple addition, letters and words.

One thing they do frequently is "write the room", walking around and writing down everything they see that begins with a particular letter. Another worksheet he frequently brings home is a simple "book report". He writes the title of the story at the top, draws a picture about the main idea in a blank area, and one sentence under the picture (on lines). They also do a lot of journaling books (blank at the top for pictures, lines at the bottom for a few sentences) and all stapled at the sides to resemble a book.

I know that the above seems like busy work, but I can see SO much improvement in handwriting and spelling since he started school.

Maybe you can set up a small table near the couch for him to work on activities such as these. It would probably not be difficult to find templates online for practicing writing.

HTH! :grouphug:

ETA: I would truly not worry so much at his age! It's okay if he does not get much done! I also second the play-do idea. That keeps my kids busy for a very long time!

Edited by magnificent_baby

I'll admit how much TV my son watched if makes you feel any better...on a good day 3 hours on a bad day 5 hours. I felt totally awful too. We had strict rules about tv time. I didn't have any family nearby to help. My son was 3 at the time.

He's now 5 and you'd never know he came close to brain damage from watching that much tv! There is nothing wrong with him and we are back to normal TV allowance.

He is def old enough to have quiet time on his own. Give him an hour that he has to play by himself after lunch etc.

Does he like puzzles? He could do those on a little table near you.

After he watches a show turn it off and give it your best to talk with him for as much as you can, then when you can't do it anymore turn on a show again.

A neighbor I knew I asked to come over to just watch him for a bit while I took a nap, don't feel embarrassed to ask for help from people at church or your greater circle of friends.

As long as he's not watching sponge bob he will be fine. :)

My first trimester hits me this hard every time. When my oldest were little, I would literally lay on the floor while the kids played around me. School for a 5yo would not be on my radar.

I also worked through my first trimester two times. I sat down most of the day at work, and I had my employees come to my office when I needed to talk to them. After work I walked into the house and went directly to bed.

We are just coming off this stage. I am 12 weeks, and just started to feel human again. If it makes you feel better, it has only taken me 4 days to wean my 5 year old off screens( tv, iPad and computer). And he can now magically do subtraction. So I will add to to everyone else, he will live, it's only a very short time in his life. Is there anytime when you feel a little better? If so I would add some good books there and call it a day. I was able to read early in the morning when I first woke up, as long as I didn't get out of bed. So we would read from 7 to 8 or so, and then he would play on the computer while I went back to sleep. Then we just muddled through the rest of the day as best as we could. I was honestly more worried about feeding him, because I just couldn't stand the sight of food ever. So I promise it's ok, he will be ok. Good luck I hope you feel better really soon.

And what if space aliens invaded her bedroom to find out if she's working hard enough? ....

Perhaps you never had a pregnancy like this, but I had two. I can assure you that the OP has talked to her doctor, tried every trick in the book, and is so miserable that it's just a good and blessed thing she doesn't have to go to work, and if her dh is like mine, he was heroic and manly enough to understand and it's OK for her to just "get by" right now.

:chillpill:

So you know the OP? I asked a simple question and for your information no I never had pregnancies like this. Mine were ten times worse requiring bed rest or being in the hospital most of the time. If I wasn't in the hospital I still had to take care of my other kids. I have no idea why you are taking what I said as a rude remark when I plainly stated I would be worried.

Being that ill could be the sign of many problems.

Just select quality tv shows. Keep reading to him or listen to books together. See if you can swap toys or puzzles with a friend so he has some new things to do. This too shall pass.

:grouphug:

This. Between severe pregnancy sickness weeks 3 through 21 (at least I stayed out of the hospital that time), bedrest for early labor from week 25 on, and then a c-section, we didn't get a lot done the year my older dc were 4, 5 and 6. I was careful about WHAT they watched on TV (lots of PBS, with some Animal Planet, TLC, Nick Jr.) -- we won't discuss of MUCH they watched ... sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. We got books on tape to listen to from the library, and when I felt up to it, we read together. Games like Go Fish, Monopoly Jr., Memory got a lot of play. I was dreading end of year testing, but both my K and 1st grader improved over a year's worth without ever really having the opportunity to do any of the school I'd planned. A lot of the stuff I bought for that year didn't get used until the baby was in K.

Just wanted to encourage you that he will be fine even if all he does is watch TV all day--I promise. Just do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. :grouphug: It is an awful, awful thing to feel so sick for so long.

I am 20+ weeks along with our fourth baby, and I have had hyperemesis with all four pregnancies (this time was better thanks to better medications), and during that horrific early stage, all I could do was lie in bed all day and pray for time to pass. It did (I'm feeling much better now!), and the kids are no worse for the wear. My youngest is in 2nd grade, and while I totally stressed over my inability to do school with her for a few months (other than handwriting and various workbooks), she has since made up for it in spades! We've not only caught up to where I had wanted to be at this point in the year, but we've surpassed it. TV weaning wasn't difficult either--once you're feeling better it's a lot easier to keep them otherwise entertained.

I'm thinking of you and hoping that this time will pass quickly for you. Hugs to you!

First of all just wanted to give a :grouphug: ... having morning sickness is miserable. I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have just come out of it. Try not to be too hard on yourself ... I had the same feeling (I felt like I was letting my 5 year old down because she wanted to do 'school things' but I was just too sick). Hopefully, it'll be just for a little while longer:grouphug:

Suggestions:

My dd liked playing reading eggs and learned quite a bit from it while having fun.

Starfall is another hit here. Read aloud books (DD likes Winnie the Pooh, Librevox has a bunch of free audio books).

Both my little one's like watching leapfrog. Letter factory is great for teaching the sounds of letters. Math Circus and Math Adventures to the Moon also caught their attention and taught dd skip counting.

I also let them play around with glue, scissors (cutting things out of junk mail is a favorite for some reason). Lego's ... ds loves playing with these and is engrossed at least an hour.

Hope you feel better soon!

I would not worry about school at his age. Instead I'd focus on keeping him occupied. Playdough? Lego? Cutting up paper? Audio stories (try kiddie records weekly and/or story nory for short and free)? Dry Beans in a tub with toys to sort of have sandbox type play inside? Time for books and videos interspersed?

Could you hire a mother's helper to come and play with him?

Well then im even more confused about when you asked "What if she had a job?". I'm very sorry because I must have misunderstood. I thought you were implying that, if she had a job, she would surely soeak to the doctor about how to get herself going, and that homeschooling her five year old is as serious as having a job.

But surely being that your pregnancies were even worse, that must not be the case. So I must have misunderstood.

Everyone can take a break now and then...that's what I want to impress because it's so important for mothers of little ones not to run themselves ragged for no good reason.

Things I've done in the past when I've been on bedrest with a 5-6 year old:

work on fine motor skills: legos, lacing fruit loops, scissors book (Kumon), mazes books, watercolors

work on hand strengthening: playdoh, paper punching with a hole punch, etc.

attribute blocks

tangrams

measuring rice into bowls with measuring cups

All of those things will help play off into academics.

You can also have him count out blocks, and then add or subtract a few of them and have him count them again...it's concrete addition and subtraction and it will help him prepare for next year.

I would do as many audio books as you can stand.

I would caution you against just having all day tv time. It'll be harder to get him back into the structure of a school day. Do what you have to to get by, but it was hard for me to wean my children back off of tv.

Well then im even more confused about when you asked "What if she had a job?". I'm very sorry because I must have misunderstood. I thought you were implying that, if she had a job, she would surely soeak to the doctor about how to get herself going, and that homeschooling her five year old is as serious as having a job.

But surely being that your pregnancies were even worse, that must not be the case. So I must have misunderstood.

Everyone can take a break now and then...that's what I want to impress because it's so important for mothers of little ones not to run themselves ragged for no good reason.

What I meant was What if she had a job? Her employer would not care period. There should be something a doc could do if it is simple pregnant I feel icky. She would not have that choice of the couch. No matter what I did with number 1 I would go into preterm labor. Finally at 16 weeks I was bedrested.

I was so sick with number 2 I had developed something along the lines of lactose intolerance which is the way it was explained to me but only because of pregnancy. Number 3 was a nightmare he was just a huge baby and me being only 4ft11" gaining almost 100 lbs. put major major problems on my body I was finally put on bedrest at the end.

The last again the bleeding issues and tired. Come to find out I was anemic. I just feel someone should be able to help her if it is that bad. I would be so worried that there was a bigger cause for it to go on that long. 5 weeks seems a long time to feel that bad. If she had a job she would be in trouble, it seems there should be something.

I wouldn't care if I got to lay at a beach all that time I still wouldn't want to feel like that.

Would that be considered high risk then? I just hated the way I felt and it was beyone normal pregnant type things, I just feel if it is that bad I would hope there was something that could help her. I would hate to feel like that for so long. It must be very annoying to deal with that. I hope she can find some relief. I mean he is 5 there really isn't a need for a major scedule but to feel that way ewwww!

I know with number 1 when I felt sick for some wild reason mashed potatoes and chicken gravy calmed my stomach. With the other babies it was a semi warm bath and relaxing music. Some people say those crackers before you get out of bed may help.

I know she is worried about her little guys schooling but I would still want to feel better regardless. I also think Head Of The Class is a great program. My kids have used that during summer and such so they still get some thinking in and not just lazy days lol! Also possibly the old ginger ale or 7 up to settle the belly. Make sure your iron levels are good as well.

Would that be considered high risk then? I just hated the way I felt and it was beyone normal pregnant type things, I just feel if it is that bad I would hope there was something that could help her. I would hate to feel like that for so long. It must be very annoying to deal with that. I hope she can find some relief. I mean he is 5 there really isn't a need for a major scedule but to feel that way ewwww!

I know with number 1 when I felt sick for some wild reason mashed potatoes and chicken gravy calmed my stomach. With the other babies it was a semi warm bath and relaxing music. Some people say those crackers before you get out of bed may help.

I know she is worried about her little guys schooling but I would still want to feel better regardless. I also think Head Of The Class is a great program. My kids have used that during summer and such so they still get some thinking in and not just lazy days lol! Also possibly the old ginger ale or 7 up to settle the belly. Make sure your iron levels are good as well.

No, I don't think it counts as high risk. Many of us had bad morning sickness. There is nothing they can do. Some B vitamins helps some people but Dr.'s look unsurprised when told about the bad sickness. I've tried so many old remedies, none helped. I just had to wait the sickness out. My Grandma was severely ill her entire pregnancy, some people just are that way during pregnancy. Not everything has a quick fix, sadly.

Could your spouse head to the library on a Saturday and consult with the children's librarian for resources? More audio books, along with some things to keep his hands busy. I agree with those who say good TV is just fine for this short period! I'm 20 weeks with my first, and spent weeks 6 through 14 miserable with exhaustion and nausea on the couch. The minute it let up, I felt so much better and picked right back up where I left off.

:grouphug: HUGS, HUGS, hope you feel better soon.

I have 7 and one on the way and don't always have the sickness, but this time it was severe, and I have had other issues. If you read some books each week, let him watch some educational shows, have computer time (if he likes that) and definitely some kind of craft or play dough for him it may fill some time and he will be developing motor skills. Coloring or workbooks may help if he likes that. I know it is hard for me, but I also remember having sickness with a 2 year old and it is tough to go all day and night feeling sick, and I read books over and over to my son, let him paint, watch tv, play computer ( Little People) ( Freddy the Fish).

Try not to feel guilty, this too shall pass.;)

Set up a little table for him (or have your dh do it;)). Keep the cuisenaire rods and whatever other math manipulatives handy, and just let him play. He will learn a lot that you can build upon when you start feeling better.

Have him read to you daily (you can lie down for this).

Read to him daily (you can lie down for this too).

Audiobooks. Let him play or color while he listens.

Okay, I know people hate hearing this so muxh, but I'm going to say the usual anyway, lol. He's very young, and you can relax about school right now. My dd was also 5 when I was pg w/# 2. I didn't qualify as having hyperemesis, but I was very sick. I vomited 3 to 5 times a day, every day, for about 15-17 weeks. That went from week 8 or so until week 23 or so. Before and after that I was horribly nauseated for many weeks. The last time I vomited was at week 38 or something, so I totally understand feeling terrible.

I couldn't snuggled up and read a lot, because all the talking made me sick. I let her play a lot on Webkinz (this is how she learned to read numbers into the hundreds or thousands) and I got Time4Learning, which she did sporadically. She watched lots of Magic School

I'm quoting my own post because I had been up for hours with a sick toddler, so I was typing on my phone, which for some reason only posted half of my post. When I tried to fix it, nothing happened at all, so I ended up sounding crazy with my half-finished post. lol

What I was saying was that she watched lots of MSB and other educational shows - whatever sparked her interest. She also played lots of Webkinz, which I first thought was a waste of time, but it did teach her to read numbers into the hundreds (and possibly even the thousands, but I can't remember for sure). I did do actual lessons in Phonics Pathways, MEP, Rightstart, and BFSU when I could, but cumulatively, I'd guess there were a few months (not weeks!) of her K year where she just did whatever she wanted all day. I was very sick.

Despite all of that, we had her tested at the end of first grade (we were getting a full work-up) and she was over the 50th percentile in everything except for writing fluency (which is to be expected, given her fine motor issues), and her overall scores for reading and math were in the advanced range, with her overall written language scores in the high average range. It sounds like your son is starting off far ahead of where my daughter was, so I think he will be fine, even if you have to take a lot of time off. My kid was, and she didn't start off advanced in anything other than perhaps verbal abilities. :)

It's really not a good idea to seek out a high risk label unless one has some major problems. That will lead to all sorts of unnecessary interventions, and in the end, there is no magic cure for morning sickness anyway. Even some women who end up hospitalized on Zofran pumps due to hyperemesis gravidarum don't really feel any better. They don't throw up as much, but they still feel terrible (some of them - for others the meds make all the difference in the world).

When you're experiencing terrible morning sickness, it can get really insulting hearing all the unsolicited advice people give you about what they're so sure will make you feel better, as if you never thought of any of it yourself. You didn't do this, I'm only saying that most of us who've been through it have tried everything. It's simply that nothing worked for us. It's a cruddy situation to be in, but it will pass, and in the meantime not much can be done.