Menu

East Coast HS regulations

Florida has 3 options -

1. Register with your county as a homeschooler. Submit an annual evaluation in the form of a standardized test, or portfolio review by a Florida certified teacher.

2. Register with a private "umbrella" school.

3. Hire a tutor.

It's a pretty easy state. Even if you choose #1 which has the most regulation, it's not hard. The portfolio review which is recommended by homeschool groups, only has to state that your child made "progress commensurate with his ability". No minimum number of days/hours, and no oversight of your curriculum choices.

Virginia:

There are several options under which one can homeschool. You can be a certified teacher, or use an "allowed" curriculum, or you can provide the district with a copy of your high school diploma and provide a curriculum listing.

You test annually, providing results to the district. You can also choose to have an evaluation instead. If you fall below a certain stanine, you are required to work with your district (but I don't know anyone who has admitted to this happening; I think it's pretty rare).

I have such mixed feelings with the reporting requirements. They are unconstitutional, and yet I've seen enough homeschoolers here that I feel the requirements might be necessary--but how far does that go to being anyone else's business? I don't know quite where I think the line should be drawn.

The other choice is to take a *valid* religious exemption, which excludes you from mandatory testing/evaluating. While we could fall under this category, I didn't feel comfortable about doing it until the last year or two. At this point, my reading of the law says my high schooler should also be providing a statement to back this exemption, and as a family, we decided we weren't going to put out the effort.

I live in VA also and there are 4 options, I believe. I just use option 1 because it's the easiest for me.

I have to send in a Notice of Intent each year before Aug 15th, that includes a "description of curriculum" which depending on your local SI can be pretty simple to a list of what you plan to use. For mine, the list looks something like this

This year child x will cover grammar, spelling, writing, penmanship, grade x math, history of the modern times, geography, chemistry, and art.

So as you can see it's more a listing of subjects than anything.

Then I have to either give them a standardized test ( I can choose any test that has been nationally normed) or have an evaluation and send it in by Aug.1

I just do the testing because it's easy enough to get one and they only want to see the Math and LA scores, they don't care about the social studies or science. The child has to be in or above the 4th stanine (I believe it's the 23rd percentile) as their LA and Math composite scores, so even if one subtest score is below that, if their composite is above then you're good.

I've known nobody that's ever not made it over that hurdle. There are a lot of homeschoolers in VA. I don't really feel that it's to hard here.

I used to live in FL and the testing/eval part was harder because it had to be done by a state certified teacher. Here I can give the test myself.

In Delaware, my vague impression is, at the beginning of the year you have to tell the state the names of your students and promise to do 170 days. At the end of the year you have to tell them you did 170 days. That's it, two simple little letters. Not bad really.

That said, they don't have the right to participate in public school extracurriculars, they don't have public cyber-charter schools, and they don't have inexpensive diploma programs similar to PA's. They're currently going back-and-forth about driver's ed. through the public schools. (You might not need/want any of that stuff, of course.)

I am in NC and you mail a "Notice of Intent" you can print off from NCHE. They used to send you an orange card but I think now it is all online.

You are supposed to keep an attendance record, immunization record (or exemption) and test scores for the previous year.

That's it.

We are looking to move to PA as soon as we find a rental and I am quaking in my boots (not to mention getting my dander up) because the regulation in PA are *SO* much more than here. I am going to hate it, it is eating me up already let alone when I have to bend over backwards and conform to the states demands. I know, I know I have heard they really aren't all that bad but coming from NC it is restrictive and invasive to me.

Sorry *steps of soapbox*. Didn't mean to rant :)

Here in NH:

~ Letter of intent to home school to Superintendent of Schools in your district.

~Yearly evaluations of nationally normed standardized test,or portfolio evaluation of student's work by a certified teacher, or other agreed upon method. I think evals are due in early July.

~Keep a yearly portfolio of student work.

We used to have to submit our curriculum choices to the school district each year, but no longer need to do this. Yippee!!! It was so incredibly redundant to do this in addition to yearly evaluations. I'm sure the Superintendent's office was also glad that they no longer had to deal with all of the extra paperwork. :tongue_smilie:

Three options in SC:

1. Register with your school district, they have to approve curriculum, give you testing, meet with them on a regular basis.

2...ummmm, I completely can not remember what this is!!?!??!

3. This is the one that EVERYONE I know uses. You sign up with a "accountability association" (I've known this as a umbrella school in FL). We send them attendance records (180 days required) and grades (that I created). Done.

Here in MA:

- Have to send an education plan to the local school district

- Have to send in an annual evaluation, which can be either:

___Progress Report

___Portfolio

___Standardized Test

It's only one form of evaluation, not all three.

HSLDA likes to make a big deal that we're one of the last "approval" states, in that the school district approves our plan every year, but in reality once you send in your plan, the burden of proof is on the school to prove that your plan isn't "equal in thoroughness" to the school's - which would take lots of $$ and a court case for them to even attempt to prove. Usually the worst is they may come back to you asking for a few more details. There are lots of unschoolers here, so really it doesn't even have to be that specific.

I've only ever sent one letter a year to the school (I send my ed plan and progress report in the same envelope). I find this way less onerous than the states that require you to meet with certified teachers or other evaluators (how is that not approval?) You do not have to ever meet with anyone in person here. There's also no need to register with an umbrella school, charter, or outside organization for oversight.

Edited by matroyshka
Edited to fix bad formatting

In MD, you send in a Notice of Intent form the first time, then notify then annually that you're continuing (I think the HS coordinators prefer email; that's their preferred venue for my umbrella enrollment roster, anyway).

When you fill out the form, you select whether you'd like to be reviewed a) by the local school system reviewer or b) enroll with an umbrella program. Either route, the reviewer is reviewing YOU (not the children) for evidence of "regular and thorough instruction" (samples of work).

Standardized testing is optional. We are not required to keep grades or hours.

In NY the regulations look pretty oppressive but they are not too bad

1) Send in a letter of intent

2) Send in an IHIP (Individual Home Instruction Plan) where you list what curriculum you are going to use or how you plan to school, and when you are planning on sending in your quarterly reports

3) Send in quarterly reports that just give an overview of what you have done and the number of hours.

4) complete a minimum of 900 hrs for grades 1-6, 990 for grades 1-7, this is really easy to do since you include all educational activities not just your actual school day.

5) Send in an end of year assesment: grades 1-3 written narrative, 4-8 standardized test every other year/written narrative other years, grades 9-12 standardized test yearly

6) there are certain subjects to cover but they are the basic:

elementary- English, US History(at least 1x between 1-8th grade), Math, Science, Phys Ed, Art, Music, LA,Geography

high school- 2 units (classes =108 hours) Science, 2 units Math, 2 units of Phys Ed, 1/2 unit health, 1 unit Art/Music, 4 units English, 4 units Social Studies (1/2 unit Gov't, 1/25 unit Econ., 1Unit US history, 2 electives), 3 units of electives.

Like I said looks complicated on paper but it really is what you normally do any how.

I'm in FL and we registered with the county (once - don't need to re-register every year if we continue to homeschool), then meet with a certified teacher for a portfolio evaluation and submit her written evaluation at the end of the year. No attendance records. We have the option to submit standardized test scores as an alternate to the portfolio review.

Because we meet with our evaluator at the end of the year, I keep a document on my computer with a list of curriculum, test scores, and extracurricular activities and update it throughout the year. Like an earlier poster mentioned, what I do already would likely fulfill the requirements of most of the more "difficult" states.

Here in NH:

~ Letter of intent to home school to Superintendent of Schools in your district.

~Yearly evaluations of nationally normed standardized test,or portfolio evaluation of student's work by a certified teacher, or other agreed upon method. I think evals are due in early July.

~Keep a yearly portfolio of student work.

We used to have to submit our curriculum choices to the school district each year, but no longer need to do this. Yippee!!! It was so incredibly redundant to do this in addition to yearly evaluations. I'm sure the Superintendent's office was also glad that they no longer had to deal with all of the extra paperwork. :tongue_smilie:

Can it be any certified teacher?

I think Maryland is very easy, considering that we're uptight liberals around here. ;) I like no standardized testing, even though I do test for my own awareness of how my kids are doing. I go through an umbrella; it is much nicer to go that route than to deal with not-necessarily-homeschool-friendly board of ed reviewers, though some are fine with the county review process.

In South Carolina, children ages 5 by September 1st through their 17th birthday must be schooled, although you may file a waiver to exempt your child from kindergarten. Homeschoolers must provide 180 days of instruction and teach the subjects of reading, writing, math, science, and social studies (and add composition and literature in grades 7-12). The homeschooling parent must have a GED or high school diploma.

To legally home school you have three options.

Option 1 is to home school through your local school district. Your school day must be at least 4.5 hours. You keep records of evaluations, a portfolio of the child’s work, and progress reports. They test your child annually beginning in third grade.

Option 2 is to join the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS). They are the state-mandated accountability group. You keep your own records (portfolio of child’s work and attendance) and provide them with what curricula you are using and two progress reports per year (progress reports may just state how much of which books you've finished, not necessarily grades). There is no requirement on hours of school per day. The parent must provide at least half of the instruction. SCAIHS requires members to sign a “Statement of Faith.” Beginning in third grade, SCAIHS requires annual testing.

Option 3 is to join any “third option accountability group” that has at least 50 members. Most only require keeping portfolio, attendance, and submitting progress reports. The differences between a third option group and SCAIHS are that most third option groups do not require annual testing, do not ask what curriculum you use, half parental instruction, and/or do not require signing a statement of faith. Third option groups are also much cheaper (can be around $25/year as opposed to over $300/year for SCAIHS).

Option 3 is what the vast majority of homeschoolers do in South Carolina, though quite a few switch to SCAIHS for high school because they offer an air of legitimacy, being the state-mandated group. They also offer curriculum counseling and a full-time staff for help.

ETA: as an example of progress reports (since most think of grades), here is what our Third Option group requires at 90 and 180 days of instruction be signed and turned in:

We have completed ninety (90) days of instruction. Our curriculum includes, but is not limited to, reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies, and in grades seven through twelve, composition and literature. We have maintained a plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and activities engaged in, and a portfolio of samples of each student's academic work. We have also prepared individualized documentation of the student's academic progress in each basic instructional area.

Edited by kebg11

• 9 months later...
In Delaware, my vague impression is, at the beginning of the year you have to tell the state the names of your students and promise to do 170 days. At the end of the year you have to tell them you did 170 days. That's it, two simple little letters. Not bad really.

That said, they don't have the right to participate in public school extracurriculars, they don't have public cyber-charter schools, and they don't have inexpensive diploma programs similar to PA's. They're currently going back-and-forth about driver's ed. through the public schools. (You might not need/want any of that stuff, of course.)

There is no promising 170 days part, but otherwise, that's it-- no testing, no portfolios, etc. All can now be handled online, as well. In Sept/Oct you register the names/grade levels (or ungraded status) of your students, and in July you record how many days they attended.

Sometimes you can make a quiet deal to do some extracurriculars at the PS with a sympathetic activity advisor (I don't want to name specifics and get any particular one in trouble, but I've gotten my kids into a program here and there with the permission direct from the coach/activity director. Obviously this would not apply to high school sports).

I've never seen a need for a third-party diploma-- we have DE homeschool friends who have granted their own recent diplomas, and their kids have all received scholarship offers from very well-known schools with no problem.

Delaware students can register for classes via PA Homeschoolers for AP courses, and take courses at Del Tech or the University of Delaware. The compact size of the state means that many homeschool gatherings or co-ops stand a good chance of being within driving distance :). Northern Delaware is also an easy drive or train ride from Philly, DC, Baltimore, or NYC, and a very short drive from an amazing amount of culture and history available in the Brandywine valley and in Delaware itself, from Chadds Ford to Gettysburg to Fort Delaware and of course the beaches (which are about to be torn asunder by a hurricane).