Menu

What are your 9-11 yar old daughter's favorite reads

Mine is reading Little Women right now and loving it. Other favorites of hers are the American Girl books, including the new choose your own endings ones, the Dear America series to go along with our history time periods. She liked the Ballet Shoes series, the Little House series, and the Ramona books. She likes the girlier children's classics like A Little Princess too.

This is the age when a lot of books need a little more time setting up the story, so it may just be that she needs some encouragement to hang in there til it picks up. We've had a run of stories lately that DD2 was really not keen on, but based on recommendations from friends she persisted and ended up loving them! Sisters grimm, Mysterious Benedict Society, Wolf Brother, and Momo were particular favourites.

She recently read a book that headlined horses called Paint the Wind (Pam Munoz Ryan). Two more simple animal-focused books by Meindert DeJong were also hits: Shadrach (about a boy wanting a rabbit) and Along Came a Dog (chickens and a dog). Oh yeah... and American Girl books. :tongue_smilie:

Harry Potter, Sisters Grimm, Percy Jackson, the other Riordan series (Kane Chronicles?), A Little Princess, The Penderwicks, How to Train Your Dragon, youngest likes Warriors, I think they still read Roald Dahl and Ramona books. They just pick up books they've read 50 times and read them over and over.

My DD10 just finished this book, In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord. She randomly picked it from the library last week and said she loved it. Normally she's into series books, but we've been searching the stacks for more. She reads so fast, I feel like it's a full-time job to keep up with her.

My daughter is 9 and changing from avid reader to almost non-wanting to read at all. She claims everything is boring now what ever she starts. She can't stand fantasy and aliens (it scares her - fear of death). Other than that -please share what do your daughters love. Lena

My daughter also has a fear of death... because of our past religious experiences. She loves Percy Jackson. She also likes American Girl books, especially the mysteries. My mind is a blank, but I might think of some later.

I have a hard time finding books dd likes. Some of the books that have been hits are:

the American Girl books - she loves these

Narnia

The Secret Garden and A Little Princess

Heidi

Pollyanna

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (this was too sad for her a couple of years ago)

All of A Kind Family

Ella Enchanted