Menu

Would you still use this?

I wouldn't.

But first I would smell it, and then shrug my shoulders and throw it away.

That's what I'd do, too. I wouldn't feel that I'd investigated fully if I didn't smell it first. I wouldn't actually open the package or anything, though, because it might actually smell and I wouldn't like that. :ack2: I'd just sniff it a couple of times through the packaging, convince myself that it might possibly smell a little "off," and then I'd throw it out.

Realistically, it's probably fine if it was frozen the whole time, but I would never take a chance on my family getting sick because I didn't want to spend a few extra dollars on a replacement chicken.

I hate it when I accidentally forget to refrigerate stuff, though!

Below freezing the whole time? I'd probably use it.

:iagree:, unless you were in the car w/ the heater going full blast for much of that time. If it never got above freezing, then it was probably colder in your trunk then in a cooler if you had been camping, so I think it's fine!

Bad chicken smells bad.

I'm not sure that's always true. You can't always smell the bad bacteria for a while; that's why I don't take any chances. (I am more paranoid than most, though, because I know what food poisoning feels like, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm sure I throw a lot of stuff away that would actually be fine to eat, but I would rather be safe than sorry.)

I'm not sure that's always true...

Maybe, but even if it wasn't frozen all the way, it was at least as cold as if the OP put it in the fridge when she got home.

There's nothing about being in a car trunk overnight that that contaminates a package of chicken lol.

That's just my take - I too try to be careful but within reason.

I hadn't thought about it being colder than the fridge. Yeah, I'm sure it's fine then. The car sits outside all the time under a bunch of tree cover so the sun wouldn't even have been shining on it had it been warm enough to matter. I told ds he should thank his lucky stars it was so cold. We've had a very mild winter but the last 24 hours were pretty cold. I would hate to throw it away (though I would if it was bad) because I get my chicken from a co-op so I can't just go to the store and replace it.

Absolutely, I regularly use my car/garage/the outside for extra fridge space when my kitchen fridge is too full. It's one of the few benefits of living somewhere that has cold snowy winters.

When we first got married, dh brought home a huge ham and turkey. His boss gave them to him. I didn't have room in the fridge so I stuck them outside in a snow bank. They were already frozen and stayed that way until I was ready to use them. Can't do that in Arizona...but we can cook hot dogs outside with solar heat! :)

Maybe, but even if it wasn't frozen all the way, it was at least as cold as if the OP put it in the fridge when she got home.

There's nothing about being in a car trunk overnight that that contaminates a package of chicken lol.

That's just my take - I too try to be careful but within reason.

:iagree: