Menu

What can you tell me about the UCC (United Church of Christ

I am going to attend a UCC church this Sunday, and would love more information on it! I have spent some time on their main site, but personal experiences are welcome :)

Thanks so much.

UPDATE on Page 4 of this thread.

Edited by Halcyon

The one I have visited believed that they were the only real Christians. They even talked about it from the pulpit while I was there that Sunday.

They don't have instruments, so all songs are sung without accompaniment.

I don't think all of them adhere to the above anymore, but I don't know that for sure.

Dawn

The one I have visited believed that they were the only real Christians. They even talked about it from the pulpit while I was there that Sunday.

I don't think all of them adhere to the above anymore, but I don't know that for sure.

Dawn

Are you sure it was a United Church of Christ congregation? This sounds more like Church of Christ (totally different group).

My uncle is a pastor in that denomination. They are VERY liberal. The have gay clergy, for instance. Nothing wrong with that that all, I have gay friends and am glad there is a Christian denomination in which committed gay couples can raise families and be totally welcome, but it offends some people. The are very multicultural, which I love. I do think they are a little silly when they refuse to ever refer to God as "The Lord" because God might be a woman.:lol::lol::lol: But my apologies if that offends you.

I live in Portland so I find liberals fun and quirky. If you do not find them so this might not be the church for you. But you never know 'till you try.

Dawn

I grew up in a UCC and I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong denomination? Church of Christ, probably?

To the OP: To be honest, although I attended one well into my teens, I honestly can't tell you much about the church's doctrine or any specifics. It just seemed like a normal, run-of-the-mill church to me. I was just never all that interested, I suppose. I do remember babysitting for one family who was rather involved in the church and they suddenly stopped attending. When I asked they explained it was because the church was too liberal for them, something about the church not taking a strong stance against abortion as I seem to recall...?

As an adult I've attended services at a United Methodist church a bit here and there. They seem fairly similar, IMO, at least with regards to how the service is run.

It's my understanding now that the many of UCC churches are openly welcoming the LGBT community. The one I attended as a child was started by a group of German immigrants who were all quite elderly by the time I was there so I have a hard time imagining this, LOL, but I suppose they've changed with the times. I don't recall all of those old German folks being some bastion of liberal activity, but apparently, that's the reputation that the UCC denomination now has in some circles...?

We loved the UCC church we belonged to. Then the pastor retired and a group of people in the church got control of the Council and hired an "intentional interim" pastor.

It certainly was "intentional." It was this man's mission (and clearly that of the majority on the Council, though they only represented THEMSELVES and their families) to that our church from a wonderful, inviting, friendly, welcoming church to one the opposite end of the spectrum. Conservative, divisive, and things got ugly. We left along with most of the families with young children.

To be honest, that hostile takeover was one of the catalysts for us leaving organized religion altogether. If anything, the convervativism being shoved down our throats made us MORE liberal. It still makes me sad to think about it. We had a lovely family church there for a while.

astrid

I grew up in a UCC and I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong denomination? Church of Christ, probably?

To the OP: To be honest, although I attended one well into my teens, I honestly can't tell you much about the church's doctrine or any specifics. It just seemed like a normal, run-of-the-mill church to me. I was just never all that interested, I suppose. I do remember babysitting for one family who was rather involved in the church and they suddenly stopped attending. When I asked they explained it was because the church was too liberal for them, something about the church not taking a strong stance against abortion as I seem to recall...?

As an adult I've attended services at a United Methodist church a bit here and there. They seem fairly similar, IMO, at least with regards to how the service is run.

It's my understanding now that the many of UCC churches are openly welcoming the LGBT community. The one I attended as a child was started by a group of German immigrants who were all quite elderly by the time I was there so I have a hard time imagining this, LOL, but I suppose they've changed with the times. I don't recall all of those old German folks being some bastion of liberal activity, but apparently, that's the reputation that the UCC denomination now has in some circles...?

very similar experience from my life as well.

I attend a church that is a member of the UCC conference.

I am happy with our church. We are in a conservative part of the country, so it is not so liberal.

We have a song we sing that says something like: when God is like a grandfather he does this, when he is like a mother he does this. That is different than saying "God might be a woman." (Which I have not heard.) It is just saying God is also loving and nurturing to us -- when we might think those are not masculine traits, and only associate masculine traits with God.

Our church is very involved in social issues. They have a big feed-the-homeless ministry. We go to gay rights things sometimes with our banner - we do affirm and welcome gay people in our church. We get people who visit and say "Wow! I didn't know I could go to church!" It is sad to me. Our open and affirming statement is not just for LGBT -- it is also for anything where someone might feel "less than" in another social context.

Our church was a Congregational church before joining the UCC, so it is still a Congregational church, but we participate in the UCC mission drives and can go to a camp that the conference runs.

For me I want to agree with the doctrine but mostly I want a place to grow in faith. I recommend visiting a few places!

My dad is a UCC pastor...and I can vouch - VERY liberal pastors and church members usually. My dad conducted a same-sex marriage long before it was a more common event. Some UCC churches still identify as "Congregational" especially in New England I think.

Hope you have a nice experience!

Dh's cousin is married to a UCC minister. She works a lot with inner city homeless people and addicts closer to the suburb where they live.

My impression of her church friends that I met is that they were mostly intellectuals, generally liberal, with strong interest in social justice issues, and cautious to avoid legalism in following the gospel (the concept behind the rules is more important than any rules themselves). They reminded me a lot of my UU friends, but with a more distinctly Christian feel than UU (I've had UU friends that have been Christian, and others that have leaned more toward Buddhism or Wicca in their spirituality).

PERFECT discription! Christian UUs - that is just how I think of them too!

The joke is that UCC=Unitarians Considering Christ.

I think that is true for many people in UCC churches here in New England, and the UCC and UU national denominations have worked together on social justice issues and some curriculum. However, UCC is a non-creedal denomination, so the beliefs of individuals can vary widely within the congregation, and I know some UCC pastors and members really dislike the joke.

PERFECT discription! Christian UUs - that is just how I think of them too!

:iagree: LOL we live just a couple blocks from a UCC and my daughter attended preschool there. We have many friends that attend there and they describe themselves as Christian UUs and it seems to ring true. We are UU, and I would agree with that. If we were ever in a position to look at a church community again, we might look at a UCC (we are very happy with our current UU church however!).

I know that several folks who were part of our UU church but wanted a more Christian focus went to the UCC. The UCC and UU denominations worked together on developing the Our Whole Lives human sexuality education program that I have heard all kinds of good things about. They have a curriculum that covers the whole lifespan, but our church usually just does the 7th/8th grade portion, which my daughter will be part of soon. http://archive.uua.org/owl/

I was going to trot out the "Unitarians Considering Christianity" line, but I see that someone beat me to it. :D

I have nothing but good memories of my childhood and youth in a UCC church. I found it to be a very loving, inclusive/respectful, social justice-oriented church.

At a UCC church I would expect:

- Strong focus on the social gospel and on Jesus' teachings during his life, as opposed to a focus on salvation and atonement.

- Little talk of heaven and no talk of hell.

- A view of the Bible as containing a mix of historical and metaphorical, eternal and time/culture-bound truths.

I was going to trot out the "Unitarians Considering Christianity" line, but I see that someone beat me to it. :D

I have nothing but good memories of my childhood and youth in a UCC church. I found it to be a very loving, inclusive/respectful, social justice-oriented church.

At a UCC church I would expect:

- Strong focus on the social gospel and on Jesus' teachings during his life, as opposed to a focus on salvation and atonement.

- Little talk of heaven and no talk of hell.

- A view of the Bible as containing a mix of historical and metaphorical, eternal and time/culture-bound truths.

Thank you Rivka! I will post back on Sunday about my experience :)

Dawn

That's Church of Christ, not UCC. Two completely different groups. And no - they don't all follow your experience anymore ;)

oops...should have read a little further.

Edited by TXMomof4

\

Wabu Sabi, you didn't by any chance to go a UCC church in Baltimore, did you? My dad is a UCC minister (however, I am now Orthodox), and his church in Baltimore was started by a group of old German immigrants. Unless that's normal for the UCC, I don't know.

Each UCC church makes up their own minds about important subjects, so each church can be very different. They are usually very liberal (which I didn't mind). Otherwise, they are a very normal church.

Wabu Sabi, you didn't by any chance to go a UCC church in Baltimore, did you? My dad is a UCC minister (however, I am now Orthodox), and his church in Baltimore was started by a group of old German immigrants. Unless that's normal for the UCC, I don't know.

Each UCC church makes up their own minds about important subjects, so each church can be very different. They are usually very liberal (which I didn't mind). Otherwise, they are a very normal church.

Well, I'll find out this Sunday ;)

They had me then strongly considering movin' on over.

Here's a link to the most famous/controversial spot:

But here's another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zLzwo7QV4

And this one honestly makes me tear up:

The UCC church near us also has a reputation for having a wonderful music program.

If my kids weren't resistant to leaving our UU church, I'd be at the UCC in a heartbeat.

There are several different church groups that came together to form the UCC. One of those was the German Reformed Church, so I imagine there are multiple congregations started by German immigrants.

They had me then strongly considering movin' on over.

Here's a link to the most famous/controversial spot:

But here's another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zLzwo7QV4

And this one honestly makes me tear up:

The UCC church near us also has a reputation for having a wonderful music program.

If my kids weren't resistant to leaving our UU church, I'd be at the UCC in a heartbeat.

Nice! Thank you!

Update: went today to our nearby UCC church and I liked it. They had a local Boys and Girls Club steel drum band play and they were very sweet....some people even got up to dance in the aisles. The sermon was uninspired but I think that's because he primarily wanted to introduce the history of steel drums to the congregation. I liked the vibe overall, and there seemed to be a nice mix of people.

I was too shy to go to the Coffee Hour afterwards, especially when I found out they were having a potluck today:blush: After shaking the pastor's hand, I walked out to my car...had a change of heart momentarily and walked back to the potluck...and then walked out again..I am really not good with a large group of strangers, but hopefully I'll be braver next time and get a chance to talk to people.

My kids didn't come this time with me; I told them I'd "scope it out" for them. There seemed to be a nice number of kids there, all different ages, so that's good. And the handout had a big paragraph on their Open and Affirming stance: I think it's the first time I've seen lesbian and gay couples in church down here.

Thanks all for your advice and input. I really appreciate it.