Menu

IMO - Bathroom humor and lewdness in latest Disney films

I went to see The Muppets Wednesday night, and, for the most part, I enjoyed it. Yes, I like pratfalls, sight gags, and stupid humor. One thing that bothered me though was when Fozzie Bear had to resort to "bathroom humor" for laughs. I don't recall Fozzie's character ever doing anything like this. I was disappointed.

Then there is PIXAR's Brave. I saw the trailer on this same Wed night and was shocked that one of the scenes was an old man in a kilt "flashing" another person. In the real world this would not be called a laugh, but a felony. I do expect there to be bathroom humor in some of these movies. However, this is lewd. Very disappointed and not going to see it.

Claire in NM

Then there is PIXAR's Brave. I saw the trailer on this same Wed night and was shocked that one of the scenes was an old man in a kilt "flashing" another person. In the real world this would not be called a laugh, but a felony.

Since when is one grown man mooning another a felony? I took it as a nod to the movie Braveheart.

eta: Nothing is shown on film, the shot is from the front. Here is the trailer in question:

the shot is at 1:40. Edited by Mrs Mungo

I'm having more and more problems with children's movies, nowadays. We took our kids to see the Smurfs and HATED it (lots of occult practices, etc.). I'm not surprised there is lewd humor... it's like the makers are trying to desensitize young children to immoral things.

Since when is one grown man mooning another a felony? I took it as a nod to the movie Braveheart.

IIRC, it was cut to make it look like she was mooned... but I couldn't tell.

In any case, yeah, it seemed more like a nod to Braveheart. I thought Brave looked really good.

IIRC, it was cut to make it look like she was mooned... but I couldn't tell.

I eta the link. :)

In any case, yeah, it seemed more like a nod to Braveheart. I thought Brave looked really good.

Brave does look really good.

I *do* agree about certain types of humor. I think showing a mooning in a scene like that from the front is no big deal. But, we didn't see the Smurfs or that Easter bunny movie or other movies that are trying too hard to be "edgy," or whatever they think it is.

I'm having more and more problems with children's movies, nowadays. We took our kids to see the Smurfs and HATED it (lots of occult practices, etc.). I'm not surprised there is lewd humor... it's like the makers are trying to desensitize young children to immoral things.

um, had you ever watched the Smurfs cartoon? Of course there were occult practices....the show has witches and such!

my 11 year old, the target audience of The Muppet Movie, laughed so hard at the fart shoes that I thought he was going to hurt himself.

He is not one for 'potty humor' but that slayed him. It didn't stand out to me from the rest of Muppet humor. What made my son laugh so hard wasn't the passing of gas, it was the fact that Fozzie was doing something so totally pathetic for a laugh. It wasn't the fart sound, but the idea of someone going to the trouble of making such a silly thing.

I don't think passing gas counts as lewd.

Ugh. I really hate seeing adult humor (most of which I don't think is funny in any circumstance) in children's movies. I don't know why filmmakers think it's cute to put it in there.

I think the intent is to hold the attention of parents when they take their kids to the movies; otherwise, the parents probably wouldn't be as inclined to go. I think the lewd humor also makes a kiddie movie more appealing to some teens who want to go just for laughs. EK's favorite movie ever is Toy Story, which she first saw when she was 2. She's 17 now, and just the other day when we were watching Toy Story, she commented, "There were so many things in this movie that just went right over my head when I was little." For example, Woody called Buzz "Mr. Light Beer" at one point. And there are other examples that I can't remember right off the top of my head.

um, had you ever watched the Smurfs cartoon? Of course there were occult practices....the show has witches and such!

I was wondering the same thing. Are we talking about "silly occult" or "creepy occult?" Because the term makes it sound like there's something sinister going on there, when I don't recall anything offensive in the Smurfs cartoons.

Of course, if you're completely against any kind of magic, even the silly pretend variety, I would understand why you would might be anti-Smurf, but unless the movie is a lot different from the TV show, I think Smurfs are about as harmless as I can think of. (Well, OK, maybe the Care Bears are sweeter... but they might be magical, too -- I can't remember any more! :001_smile:)

Again, I haven't seen the movie, so maybe there's more there than I'm imagining.

I guess it's pretty normal for kids to go through their "potty humor" phase. I am literally in the middle of it right now with my kids to an obnoxious degree and I really do try to roll with it but I do hate when shows inject it when it really isn't necessary. But then again, I guess that's just my opinion.

When my dds ages 3 and 5 saw the trailer that clip had that ROARING with laughter. In fact, when we got home they had to tell Nanny and Grandpa all about that one little scene.

I just think shows don't need it. They can be entertaining and funny on so many other levels I just don't get why they have to go there. :001_huh:

I also rolled my eyes during the Muppets at Fozzie's "fart shoes" because I knew that inevitably my dds would be saying "fart" and cracking up hysterically for the next week. :glare: I didn't care for the Muppets at all and wouldn't subject my kids to it again...but there are some shows I will see past and judge if the pros surpass the cons. Like the Despicable Me dreamworks cartoon. That one was packed with fart jokes and bum-slapping dancing -- but I like the message and think the good outweighs the bad... So I have allowed repeated showings of that one.

I will be taking them to Brave and hoping for the best.

I went to see The Muppets Wednesday night, and, for the most part, I enjoyed it. Yes, I like pratfalls, sight gags, and stupid humor. One thing that bothered me though was when Fozzie Bear had to resort to "bathroom humor" for laughs. I don't recall Fozzie's character ever doing anything like this. I was disappointed.

Then there is PIXAR's Brave. I saw the trailer on this same Wed night and was shocked that one of the scenes was an old man in a kilt "flashing" another person. In the real world this would not be called a laugh, but a felony. I do expect there to be bathroom humor in some of these movies. However, this is lewd. Very disappointed and not going to see it.

You're going to be skipping over the Canterbury Tales, I expect? ;)

You're going to be skipping over the Canterbury Tales, I expect? ;)

I don't hear too many teenagers randomly interjecting quotes from Canterbury Tales into conversation. I *do*, on the other hand, often hear young kids randomly tossing out crude quotes from popular movies. Therefore, no Disney/Pixar crudeness at young ages, but lots of exposure to Canterbury Tales/Shakespeare/Gilgamesh at a more advanced age. ;)

I'm not much of a potty humor kind of girl. I couldn't watch Seinfeld because I found it too embarrassing. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Some people think that stuff is funny. Those people go to the movies too.

I don't hear too many teenagers randomly interjecting quotes from Canterbury Tales into conversation. I *do*, on the other hand, often hear young kids randomly tossing out crude quotes from popular movies. Therefore, no Disney/Pixar crudeness at young ages, but lots of exposure to Canterbury Tales/Shakespeare/Gilgamesh at a more advanced age. ;)

I can only recall a handful of "crude" jokes compared to lots of funny lines in Pixar movies. On the other hand? LOADS of crude jokes in Shakespeare. Lots. Pistol was a favorite character of the queen. His name sounded like "piss." He's the only one of young Hal's friends who live through the carnage of Henry V because you can't kill the queen's favorite character. Of course, the queen's other favorite, Falstaff, died and as a result Shakespeare had to write a play just for him.

If your teens aren't spouting off Shakespeare insults, it's because you haven't exposed them to enough of them. ;)

http://www.insults.net/html/shakespeare/

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html

http://www.bachelorsdegree.org/2011/05/22/20-epic-shakespeare-insults-every-drama-geek-should-know/

I can only recall a handful of "crude" jokes compared to lots of funny lines in Pixar movies. On the other hand? LOADS of crude jokes in Shakespeare. Lots. Pistol was a favorite character of the queen. His name sounded like "piss." He's the only one of young Hal's friends who live through the carnage of Henry V because you can't kill the queen's favorite character. Of course, the queen's other favorite, Falstaff, died and as a result Shakespeare had to write a play just for him.

If your teens aren't spouting off Shakespeare insults, it's because you haven't exposed them to enough of them. ;)

http://www.insults.net/html/shakespeare/

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/shake_rule.html

http://www.bachelorsdegree.org/2011/05/22/20-epic-shakespeare-insults-every-drama-geek-should-know/

That's *exactly* my point! Young kids don't have the discretion that teens (or at least my older teens) do. Therefore, no Disney/Pixar crudeness when the kids are younger, but *plenty* of it in due time. We like our crude to be "classy", lol! :D

I was wondering the same thing. Are we talking about "silly occult" or "creepy occult?" Because the term makes it sound like there's something sinister going on there, when I don't recall anything offensive in the Smurfs cartoons.

Of course, if you're completely against any kind of magic, even the silly pretend variety, I would understand why you would might be anti-Smurf, but unless the movie is a lot different from the TV show, I think Smurfs are about as harmless as I can think of. (Well, OK, maybe the Care Bears are sweeter... but they might be magical, too -- I can't remember any more! :001_smile:)

Again, I haven't seen the movie, so maybe there's more there than I'm imagining.

When I read what I assume to be REAL people saying the Smurfs are "occult," I swear I hope to snatched by aliens and lifted out of here. :lol:

When I read what I assume to be REAL people saying the Smurfs are "occult," I swear I hope to snatched by aliens and lifted out of here. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're saying you've never been abducted by aliens? ;)

Here's a little tip for you: If you go willingly, they're a lot nicer to you, and they give you a lovely gift basket as you get off the ship they bring you back home. (And it's a good gift basket, not the kind with stale crackers, aging fruit, and some brand of cookies you've never heard of.) :D

Of course, maybe I've only met the higher-class aliens... :tongue_smilie:

I don't think it is just the latest Disney movies -I have noticed it for many years. There are a lot of Disney movies I don't let my kids watch because of this. I thnk it is for the benefit of the adult veiwers because from what I have seen the little kids don't get it all.

There are a lot of Disney movies I don't let my kids watch because of this.

The lewdness aspect has never entered my mind. I didn't have my ds watch most Disney movies when he was little because it seemed like the Mom Always Died. :glare:

I mean, couldn't Bambi's mom just have been away on a cruise or something? ;)

When I was a kid I had a friend who was not allowed to watch the Smurfs cartoon because of the "occult" practices it showed. I don't think this is a new issue.

I don't love potty humor and I think some kids movies try to hard to entertain the parents, but I remember watching a lot of stuff with my parents and watching it again as an adult. Almost everything went right over my head and they never called attention to it. Yet I was allowed to Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, re runs of SNL, but Full House, Family Matters, and Blossom were banned.

I've been thinking about what is and isn't appropriate for my kids in regards to movies and humor. So far, I'm drawing a blank on any sort of standards.

The lewdness aspect has never entered my mind. I didn't have my ds watch most Disney movies when he was little because it seemed like the Mom Always Died. :glare:

I mean, couldn't Bambi's mom just have been away on a cruise or something? ;)

:lol:

The hunter decided instead of shooting Bambi's mom to send her away?

DH brought Dumbo home the other day because DS loves elephants. Well, I couldn't watch it without sobbing!

Well, my 11 year old, the one who almost bust a gut laughing at the fart shoes can toss off a good Shakespearean insult with the best of them. He is currently reading The Canturbury Tales (in translation) and finds it plenty of crass moments.

And Shakespeare wasn't always considered 'classy'. Not by a long shot. It is classy now because it is old. Same with Chaucer. Read "Highbrow/Lowbrow" by Massey. He provides some interesting history and context.