Menu

Is there a SECULAR homeschool magazine that's worth the cost of subscribing?

QuirkyKidAcademy

This is only one I've seen, and I didn't find it until the editor went on indefinite hiatus. Might have been interesting. Perhaps she will come back to the job...

I emailed her to ask if she intends on starting it back up. I'll let you know about any response I get! It was a pretty good magazine.

HEM is secular but includes ads for religious products and IIRC also allows mentions of religion in articles - as in, their editorial position is secular but they may publish writers that mention religion... Again, if I'm remembering that right.

I was never that fond of Secular Homeschooling Magazine. A good effort, but the articles were often wordy and in need of editing, IMO.

I'm not offended by the two I've read. I just don't find a lot of value in their articles for my family. I get my religion at church and thru my personal walk with God. I am a newish homeschooler and need *homeschooling* information.

:lol:

I feel the same way. I subscribed to a bunch of magazines my first year and was surprised at how little information there was on homeschooling. If I wanted a religious magazine, then I would subscribe to a religious magazine of my own religious persuasion, thank-you-very-much.

We also had a subscription to HEM for a while, but I found some of the articles (and a particular columnist) to be so aggressively pro-attachment parenting that I let that subscription lapse, too. If I wanted a crunchy parenting magazine, then I would subscribe to one (and I say this as a very crunchy mom who homebirths and breastfeeds). I just don't need that from a homeschooling magazine.

I just wish there was a homeschooling magazine that was primarily about . . . homeschooling.

The Secular Homeschooling magazine shut down. It was a one-person shoestring operation and I think it just wore her out. I loved it and was sad to see it fold.

HEM itself does not have a religious orientation, but there are religious ads and some of the articles end up coming from authors with a religious orientation toward homeschooling and that does show up in the articles. And what I find most disappointing about HEM is that they beat the unschooling drum ad nauseam. I wish there was a secular publication that addressed the actual work side of homeschooling.

If there was a magazine with a secular editorial stance (I wouldnt mind some religious perspective from authors in some commentaries, as long as it wasn't heavy handed or the main focus overall) that published quality articles about methodology, educational research as applied to homeschooling, homeschooling legal issues, homeschool research articles, etc I would totally buy it. HEM just isn't quite it.

If there was a magazine with a secular editorial stance (I wouldnt mind some religious perspective from authors in some commentaries, as long as it wasn't heavy handed or the main focus overall) that published quality articles about methodology, educational research as applied to homeschooling, homeschooling legal issues, homeschool research articles, etc I would totally buy it.

Exactly.

I checked out HEM online and noticed the unschooling bent immediately.

Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, this WAS on my wishlist and I finally swallowed my pride and subbed to TOS (we're religious, but not Christian; other people's views don't offend me and I often find them helpful if they're OT-based) only to have them announce in my second issue that they're going all-digital. :cursing: $#!% :cursing:

If I wanted to read a magazine on the computer, I could probably find one that's FREE. I have a Kobo but it can't handle complex PDFs like their back-issues or whatever they have planned for future digital editions of the magazine. I felt so ripped off.

:banghead:

If you're Canadian, there's a new publication here, Homeschool Horizons, that has published one of my pieces, with a second coming up. I mention this because, to me, it proves that though the publisher is openly Christian, they are also at least open-minded (ETA mission statement here). I know nothing else about the magazine; I didn't even get a complimentary issue. :-)

Yeah, this WAS on my wishlist and I finally swallowed my pride and subbed to TOS (we're religious, but not Christian; other people's views don't offend me and I often find them helpful if they're OT-based) only to have them announce in my second issue that they're going all-digital. :cursing: $#!% :cursing:

If I wanted to read a magazine on the computer, I could probably find one that's FREE. :-)

I am a former subscriber of TOS. I was very unhappy about the digital format. I emailed them about my disappointment and received a refund for the remaining issues in my sub.

I still haven't found anything else I care to order.

Several people have indirectly commented on my post by saying that religion doesn't offend them or whatever. So I want to clarify that the reason the one issue I looked at of one Christian homeschooling magazine offended me (which is a bit of an exaggeration) was because there was at least one article in it that was openly denigrating to others and other religions. It is not the case that Christianity or views different from mine offend me. I regularly find religious homeschooling material very helpful and very thoughtful, such as Mater Amabilis, which I have suggested many times.

I wish there was an inclusive HS magazine with an academic bent. Something like TOS only without all the problematic content and associations and whatnot.

I flip through HEM at the library from time to time, but it's got too much of an "unschooling" flavor for my tastes.

:iagree:

I would be willing to pay generously for an inclusive, academic HS magazine . . . if such a thing existed.

Several people have indirectly commented on my post by saying that religion doesn't offend them or whatever. So I want to clarify that the reason the one issue I looked at of one Christian homeschooling magazine offended me (which is a bit of an exaggeration) was because there was at least one article in it that was openly denigrating to others and other religions. It is not the case that Christianity or views different from mine offend me. I regularly find religious homeschooling material very helpful and very thoughtful, such as Mater Amabilis, which I have suggested many times.

I understand what you are saying. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

I think the best summary of what I was thinking is just above this - I'm looking for an academic magazine.

I would take ANYTHING, at this point. Somebody, sell me a magazine!!! :lol:

The glossier, the better. I love the ads, for what it's worth; love 'em... I find cool stuff that way all the time, not necessarily to buy, but to think about and spark ideas.

Reading on the computer, reading on the Kobo, it's not the same. A newsletter is NOT the same. There is a SMELL to a magazine, and a luxuriousness of cracking it open and diving right in...

Really, I would even be interested in a magazine about educational and developmental issues just geared toward parents in general. Obviously, homeschooling would be better, but sometimes I feel like I get the best thought provokers from stuff written in the NY Times or other publications about educational studies or brain research and kids or something.

I would be willing to pay generously for an inclusive, academic HS magazine . . . if such a thing existed.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It could be called "Teaching at Home". People could write articles on resources. There could be a monthly column on the "field trip of the month", a museum, e.g. with pre-reads, don't misses, and best times to go. There could be a "math corner" on how to teach a tricky something or other. And another, an editorial, on "mistakes I have made" or "if I only knew then what I know now". There could be a dad's column, book reviews, a free resources page, a kid's editorial or book review. A My Nifty Project layout. And as a monthly centerfold: a school room. And a humor page of single paragraphs of hs screwups, a la Laughter is the Best Medicine, or whatever that page in Reader's Disgust is.

(I'm dreaming again, with a mist in the background and my typing fingers on fire.)

It could be called "Teaching at Home". People could write articles on resources. There could be a monthly column on the "field trip of the month", a museum, e.g. with pre-reads, don't misses, and best times to go. There could be a "math corner" on how to teach a tricky something or other. And another, an editorial, on "mistakes I have made" or "if I only knew then what I know now". There could be a dad's column, book reviews, a free resources page, a kid's editorial or book review. A My Nifty Project layout. And as a monthly centerfold: a school room. And a humor page of single paragraphs of hs screwups, a la Laughter is the Best Medicine, or whatever that page in Reader's Disgust is.

(I'm dreaming again, with a mist in the background and my typing fingers on fire.)

:001_wub: I am in love with your fantasy magazine. If there is anyone out there reading this who has any inclinations towards starting a magazine, we are willing to pay!

If you print it . . . we will come.

This is awesome. The bolded is my favorite part. I'm seriously LOL. :lol:

I'm not offended by the two I've read. I just don't find a lot of value in their articles for my family. I get my religion at church and thru my personal walk with God. I am a newish homeschooler and need *homeschooling* information.

:iagree:

I would SO BUY THIS!! :D

Really, I would even be interested in a magazine about educational and developmental issues just geared toward parents in general. Obviously, homeschooling would be better, but sometimes I feel like I get the best thought provokers from stuff written in the NY Times or other publications about educational studies or brain research and kids or something.

Sometimes I try reading articles or books about education, brain development etc. that are for general (not homeschooling) consumption...but I get so frustrated because they end up being all about how to manage it in a school population or classroom setting, and parents are completely left out of consideration as part of the equation. I get upset.

Sometimes I try reading articles or books about education, brain development etc. that are for general (not homeschooling) consumption...but I get so frustrated because they end up being all about how to manage it in a school population or classroom setting, and parents are completely left out of consideration as part of the equation. I get upset.

I used to as well, but lately I've been more able to just let it go and be like ahhh, that's why we homeschool.

Clearly we know what Kalanamak needs to do now. Write up your business plan and get to it!

If you create it, I will do the design work. That would be awesome!

If you create it, I will do the design work. That would be awesome!

I'd love to write articles for it! There are enough of us here that we really could come up with something great!

I'd love to write articles for it! There are enough of us here that we really could come up with something great!

But, who would the moderator be? :smilielol5:

Seriously, I would love to subscribe to the type of magazine you all are describing. :thumbup1:

I, too, was annoyed at TOS going all-digital. I love the ads. I love the glossy. I can't read magazines (or newspapers) on the 'net. I want to flip through them in bed or at the kitchen table. I want to tear out articles to keep or pass them onto a friend.

Print magazines are going the way of the telephone switch operator. They are too expensive to snail mail anymore for how many people subscribe.

That being said, I would love such a magazine as you describe. Think SWB wants to offer such a thing out of Peace Hill Press? :Angel_anim:

:biggrinjester:

I'll offer to copy-edit.

I, too, was annoyed at TOS going all-digital. I love the ads. I love the glossy. I can't read magazines (or newspapers) on the 'net. I want to flip through them in bed or at the kitchen table. I want to tear out articles to keep or pass them onto a friend.

:iagree: I was disappointed too. It was hardly an ideal magazine for me, but it was the best I've seen. I won't be renewing.

HEM does have a very strong bent towards unschooling. That's totally inappropriate for my family. My son would never work on anything.

I wish there was an inclusive HS magazine with an academic bent.

I would adore this; that's what I've been looking for.

:drool5: Don't forget a monthly science experiment column too!

By the way, this dream magazine sounds a lot like what you might get if you put a bunch of brilliant homeschooling blogs together. If starting a magazine is too much hard work for now, how about starting a blog? Have several contributors and call for submissions for school room of the month and other photos and articles?

I would be interested in helping create this. I have thought about doing this many times, but it would need to be a collaborative effort. Also, I was considering doing an online magazine as print is so very expensive and effortful.

As if I don't have enough projects on my table... but I'd be interested in that.

I'd be in! I don't know anything about how one goes about putting together magazines, but I've been looking for a project for the next few years.

I personally would be willing to pay a lot for a really good beautiful homeschooling magazine. Probably up to $30 a year.

I don't even need the glossy color pages - or even full size - a small zine type thing would be fine. I just don't want to have to read online in pdf or some other type of reader program. When I try to look at catalogs in that type of software, I always hate it. I would never read an online magazine in that sort of format.

I do feel there is a real need for a periodical for homeschoolers that puts some focus on an academic lifestyle and does not have any specific religious alignment. I am happy to read about homeschooling from all religious perspectives, or none, but I will never read a homeschooling magazine that is specific to one religion. I also do not need to read any more articles about unschooling or raising chickens.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Mmmm... magazine!

I now have $8.88 to put towards whatever I want, thanks to a pending refund from TOS. I got the January "issue" in my inbox and told them I didn't want it, so that's a credit for the remaining 2 issues from my one-year subscription.

Can you give me something for $8.88? :lol:

Did I mention I write...?

The new Canadian homeschooling magazine only pays $10-15 for an article and I have written 2 for them so far. I usually don't think about anything this low, but if it's for homeschooling, I'll take anything.

:drool5: Don't forget a monthly science experiment column too!

By the way, this dream magazine sounds a lot like what you might get if you put a bunch of brilliant homeschooling blogs together. If starting a magazine is too much hard work for now, how about starting a blog? Have several contributors and call for submissions for school room of the month and other photos and articles?

That might actually be feasible!! There are already happy, active blog-writers who might well think submitting a best entry of the month worthwhile. That way, if a blogger wanted to wax poetic about politics, homeschool rights, and religious beliefs, s/he could still do so on their own blog, submitting only the more academically oriented material

Do this! Do this! DO THIS!!!!! Please? :D

You might like this one: http://www.brainchildmag.com/

I used to subscribe and really enjoy it. At least then, it was geared toward moms of younger children (younger than teens).

I, too, wish there were a better academic homeschooling mag option.

I would take ANYTHING, at this point. Somebody, sell me a magazine!!! :lol:

The glossier, the better. I love the ads, for what it's worth; love 'em... I find cool stuff that way all the time, not necessarily to buy, but to think about and spark ideas.

Reading on the computer, reading on the Kobo, it's not the same. A newsletter is NOT the same. There is a SMELL to a magazine, and a luxuriousness of cracking it open and diving right in...

:iagree: completely!

I am Catholic and don't mind a Christian bent, but it seems like the HS magazines have more articles refuting evolution or about purely Christian issues. I just want to learn more ideas about HSing. I really like TOS for the part, but completely agree about hating the new digital format. I bring magazines with me to appointments to read and just love holding them in my hand at home. Maybe we should all pool our funds and start a really good homeschool magazine!