Menu

vegetable side dish for Christmas dinner?

many things go well with prime rib:

plain cooked veggies of some variety (steamed green beans for instance)

green bean casserole

3 bean salad

big tossed salad

layered salad

cauliflower casserole

steamed broccoli and cauliflower

raw veggie platter

Personally, I would avoid carrots or corn due to their high sugar content if potatoes are already being served. Not sure about other starchy veggies such as lima beans or peas. Having said that, my mother always served green peas cooked with pearl onions and button mushrooms with prime rib.

Creamed spinach is good (pioneer woman had a good looking recipe on her site), or fresh green beans cooked (boiled) until tender, then dressed with sauteed onions and bacon (mmmm...). I am being really lazy this year and serving caesar salad with the prime rib and potatoes, and a vegetable tray with dip. If I had my first choice, I would serve roasted brussells sprouts drizzled with lemon juice, olive oil, and finely grated parmesan. Even my dd likes them this way.

Roasted asparagus would be nice too.

If you like carrots then I would suggest grated carrot salad.

Grate carrots

Grate apples (at the last possible minute).

Pour orange juice over it all. (as much or as little as you want)

Delicious, fresh and healthy. Easy if you have the use of a food processor.

I tend toward simpe veggies dishes....plain butternut squash or garlic and butter fried broccoli. I do not like my side dishes too complex.

We often have brussel sprouts (not canned) as a treat for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Add butter or olive oil to a skillet, add well brussel sprouts that have had the outer leaves removed, stems trimmed, and cut in half. Cook until browned. Add 1/3 cup of water and cover, turn down heat and cook until the desired doneness. Salt & Pepper to taste.

roasted root vegetables - yum!

grilled asparagus - can season with sesame or garlic, or plain pepper

garlic spinach (sauteed) or bok choy - both quick, easy to make on-site but wouldn't travel well

saute some snow peas with some sliced red bell pepper, then drizzle with sesame oil and seeds - yummo.

shredded red cabbage, sauteed in broth and sprinkled with red pepper flakes for some kick

ginger broccoli

cucumber salad - dice cukes, drizzle with a (rice-wine or regular) vinegar, some sugar, some pepper

You could actually make a few salsa-type 'salads' .. the cuke one above, maybe a mango, corn, tomato ...

maybe some kind of veggie soup - minestrone? tomato?

My sister made a great side dish last year. She grated Brussels sprouts and sauteed them in olive oil. She then fried bacon, chopped it up, and served it on the side. Their were vegetarians present at the meal; otherwise, she would have stirred in the bacon bits. It was delicious.

Regards,

Kareni

I make something like this often and it's always a hit.

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower combination

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

1/3 cup sour cream

1 (2.8 ounce) package French-fried onions, divided

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cook vegetables according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl combine vegetables, mushroom soup, 1/2 cup cheese, sour cream, 1/2 can fried onions and pepper. Transfer to a deep pie plate.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and fried onions; bake 5 minutes longer.

This summer squash casserole was a big hit at my parents' at Thanksgiving. My SIL even asked for the recipe. :)

I substituted croutons for the stuffing mix, because stuffing mix makes me gag...lol. (I blame it on being spoiled with homemade stuffing growing up.) Even the kids ate it. Which, of course, guarantees nothing about whether your family would like it or not. ;)

Just about everything goes with beef. I'd probably bring a green vege and an orange one or a salad and a hot vege. I would also keep them light as beef and potatoes is a heavy meal to start with. Sliced carrots steamed and then sauteed in butter and frozen orange juice concentrate are easy and very yummy.

ohhh! That sounds yummy! :drool5: I'll have to try that this spring when my asparagus pops up.

Soooooooo beyond jealous of your asparagus patch! I can't wait until I am in my forever home...

The recipe is a staple here. Give it a trial before guests though. There is a slim margin between nicely browned butter and burned butter. :tongue_smilie: DH and the kids like it barely browned.

I am boiling up some beets tomorrow, then Christmas will make a glaze with orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, butter, in a skillet, get it bubbling, then add sliced cooked beets to reheat/flavor them.

Brussel sprouts, trimmed, sliced in half, and sauteed in a bit of olive oil/garlic, and then when nicely browned add a tad of water and put a lid on to steam then a bit (I hate CRUNCHY sprouts!) with crumbs/sliced almonds added at the last moment. (saute them first, then remove and use same pan for sprouts)

The sprouts are very good and not at all bitter cooked this way.

I'm making a cheesy spinach dish as a side for our Christmas dinner. We're also having beef.

We first made a spinach dish a few years ago for the holidays that instantly became "tradition." Ours is frozen spinach mixed with a white sauce and pepper jack cheese. My family are not particularly vegetable fans, but they love this.

Other ideas:

"Caesar" salad -- chopped romaine, croutons, shaved parmesan cheese, bottled creamy Caesar dressing

Mandarin salad -- romaine and iceberg, sugared almonds, can of drained mandarin oranges, sliced celery, sweet dressing

Salad with romaine, mozzarella balls, tomato, croutons, and (bottled) balsamic vinaigrette.

roasted asparagus or squash

squash (or other vegetable) soup

marinated mushrooms

Reading through the responses, though, I'm casting my vote for Kristina's Asparagus with Balsamic Brown Butter recipe that she linked.:drool5:

And if you do a browned butter trial run ahead of time, you can serve it over hot pasta with grated parmesan cheese for dinner. (The Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant has my favorite Spaghetti with Browned Butter and Mizithra Cheese.)