Menu

I made my first sock!!!

I did it! I knitted my first sock. I risk embarrassment at showing it to you all, but I am pretty impressed with myself! I used the recommendation I got here for Ann Budd's book and made it. Before I made it, all I knew about knitting was the basic knit stitch, and not even how to purl. Now I know how to purl, do a heel turn (sort of) and even the kitchener stitch! I think now that I understand how to knit, the next sock should go much better! This sock was kind of an intro to knitting and sock-making, lol.

Now to explain what sticks out like a sore thumb - as I was doing the leg part, I kept trying to figure out why my stitches seemed wrong. (The v's were on the inside of the leg.) I just shrugged and turned the whole thing inside out when I got to the heel. Well, after the heel, I started stitching again and again my stitches were wrong. But, this time they clashed with my leg stitches. I then knew I was doing something wrong. Turns out I was knitting my sock inside out. :001_huh::001_rolleyes: So, once I got that figured out, I was knitting correctly. The perfectionist in me wanted to start over at every step until I got it perfect, but I knew if I did that I'd never get a finished sock. I decided to plow through and just "try" every step.

Crossing my fingers that the next one comes out better! How fun. :)

ETA: Don't say it looks great, because it doesn't, but it sure was fun!

Good job!! Are you going to knit the mate the same way?

I love handknit socks. I'm wearing some right now :D

I'm going to try and make them the same size (ha), but I do want to stitch it correctly so it won't have those rows of inside out stitches by the heel.

I am addicted to knitting socks. Once I finally conquered it, I never wanted to quit. I don't get much time for it, but there is always a sock on my needles! Although I have also done fingerless gloves/gauntlets too. I am not ready to attack 'fingers' yet!!

Congrats - your first one is great!!!:)

:party:

Good job for persevering! I remember with my first sock being totally in awe after I turned my first heel. Wow--what genius even thought of that? So clever! Anyway, I knit at least 6 pairs of socks before I learned how to Kitchener properly. I love hand-knit socks. :001_wub:

:hurray: Yay for you! I have an ongoing battle with double pointed needles and was told I should learn to use a circular needle. What did you use?

I have only used double pointed - it was tricky to learn & keep stitches tight. But keep trying, I promise it gets easier.

I have only used a circular needle for hats. I have thought about trying to knit socks from the toe up, but I'm scared. :tongue_smilie:

I used the double pointed needles. It was really weird, because in the book (as well as here) I read that you could use the circular ones, but the woman at the yarn store said I couldn't. :confused: Hence, I bought the ones she suggested. The first few hours with the DPN's nearly brought me to tears. I was so frustrated trying to figure out those! Then I went to Michael's and bought the cheapest circular needle and got even more frustrated. I went back to the DPN's and didn't look back. I actually feel kinda comfortable with them! Maybe one day I will try the circular needle again.

I have only used a circular needle for hats. I have thought about trying to knit socks from the toe up, but I'm scared. :tongue_smilie:

I use 2 circulars for socks and knit them toe up. You're an intelligent adult and could figure it out. :) It's possible a local yarn store by you offers a class in it (or would give a one-on-one lesson).

I don't want to go back to one at a time socks.

I used the double pointed needles. It was really weird, because in the book (as well as here) I read that you could use the circular ones, but the woman at the yarn store said I couldn't. :confused: Hence, I bought the ones she suggested. The first few hours with the DPN's nearly brought me to tears. I was so frustrated trying to figure out those! Then I went to Michael's and bought the cheapest circular needle and got even more frustrated. I went back to the DPN's and didn't look back. I actually feel kinda comfortable with them! Maybe one day I will try the circular needle again.

Well tsk tsk to the yarn store woman! And the cheapest circs may not be flexible enough. I highly recommend Knit Picks circular needles. Try about a 40" for Magic Loop. I promise, it's way better than DPNs!

I have only used double pointed - it was tricky to learn & keep stitches tight. But keep trying, I promise it gets easier.

The only difference in toe up is the cast on, which wasn't too hard to figure out. :)

The first few hours with the DPN's nearly brought me to tears. I was so frustrated trying to figure out those!

Keeping the stitches tight from the first needle to the second is giving me fits. For some reason I can get the others, but just not that first one. I'm going to have to pick them up and try again. I plan to just use some yarn scraps for practice, then I'll have less frustration if I'm not messing up a project.

Way to go! :hurray:

There's actually a pattern towards the back of that book where you are instructed to turn the sock inside out in order to get a cute little ruffled cuff. So now that you accidentally learned how to do that, you're a step ahead when you try that pattern!

I'll second the suggestion for Knit Picks needles- I use the double pointed ones, though. The wood feels so smooth and warm. I'm not sure I can ever go back to metal needles!

Way to go! :hurray:

There's actually a pattern towards the back of that book where you are instructed to turn the sock inside out in order to get a cute little ruffled cuff. So now that you accidentally learned how to do that, you're a step ahead when you try that pattern!

I'll second the suggestion for Knit Picks needles- I use the double pointed ones, though. The wood feels so smooth and warm. I'm not sure I can ever go back to metal needles!

I wanted to thank you for the recommendation for that Ann Budd book! I'll have to check out those needles for my next pair.

:party:

Doesn't it feel clever? That never, ever goes away, just so you know.

Turning a heel is pure magic! Congratulations on your first sock. May it find a partner very soon! :thumbup:

For the record, I knit socks, mittens and all small round things on 2 circular needles

I find working on 2 circular needles MUCH less frustrating than working on dpns.

Edited by kck