Menu

What do you look for, or like, in purchasing a Bible?

Dh recently started attending church. I would like to get him a bible. If I ask him for input, he will say that he will just use what is available in the pews, but I would like to get him his own to have at home, and then he can decide if he would like to take it with him or not.

I also want to buy dd13 a new Bible. She still has the same soft pink, cheap version that I bought her for Awanas when she was a Cubbie. I bought a cheap one, thinking that she would ruin it and we could replace it with a nice leather copy when she was old enough. LOL Well the pink one is still going strong, but I would still like to follow through with replacing it with a leather copy, that she can keep into adulthood.

All of our other copies in the house are not easily portable versions.

What I want: thin (or at least, not thick), lightweight, leather (or similar long wearing material), and NIV. There in lies another question...the newest version or the pre-2011 version?

You asked which version. I'd try to choose the one used in church so that when the pastor reads from scripture, the Bible you are holding matches. I also asked a pastor what they recommended we look for (in our case, it was cross-referencing). I'd avoid a study Bible because it's possible it may conflict with what your church is teaching. It's good to know other possibilities/beliefs, and I wouldn't want to be looking at something different in my personal Bible.

I like study Bibles; I think the discussions are interesting to read. I often find the notes at the bottom of the page helpful in figuring out context/meaning. I also like the cross-reference notations.

I like black-letter Bibles, not red-letter. The red-letter hurts my eyes.

If you go to Christian Book Distributors you can search Bibles by version and features (like font size and binding).

Probably the same version he'd hear read at church so he can follow along. I'd go with a study bible so he could get more understanding of passages but you'll want the editors to reflect your theological system: Armenian, Reformed, Neo-reformed, etc... Getting them engraved with their names will make it more special.

Dh recently started attending church. I would like to get him a bible. If I ask him for input, he will say that he will just use what is available in the pews, but I would like to get him his own to have at home, and then he can decide if he would like to take it with him or not.

I also want to buy dd13 a new Bible. She still has the same soft pink, cheap version that I bought her for Awanas when she was a Cubbie. I bought a cheap one, thinking that she would ruin it and we could replace it with a nice leather copy when she was old enough. LOL Well the pink one is still going strong, but I would still like to follow through with replacing it with a leather copy, that she can keep into adulthood.

All of our other copies in the house are not easily portable versions.

What I want: thin (or at least, not thick), lightweight, leather (or similar long wearing material), and NIV. There in lies another question...the newest version or the pre-2011 version?

I far, far prefer the 1984 NIV to the tNIV. I haven't really compared the NIV 1984 to the 2011 NIV yet. Translation is very high in importance to me. I like my NIV1984, and dh, a Southern Baptist minister, prefers the HCSB. We also like the NASB and the NRSV. We love the beauty of the KJV, but it's not very readable. The NKJV is okay, but not as good as the others I've mentioned. The God's Word translation is pretty good; that's what we got for EK when she was about your dd's age. Dh & I prefer to steer clear of paraphrases, such as the NLT. or the Good News Bible. The easy-to-read versions (NIrV, CEV, NCV) are pretty good for kids, but the context isn't as full as the others, and may not be best for a teen.

After 1) translation, I look for 2) study notes, preferably detailed. I'd definitely want a study Bible (I LOVE my NIV Study Bible--I've been using it, really using it, for 20 years now); I like study notes at the bottom and I like center column references. I'd also want a good concordance and plenty of maps and charts.

Font size is next (I'm 51, you know!), and then a quality cover. I do NOT like bonded leather. I prefer genuine cowhide, but that's expensive. I like the new synthetic leatherette stuff, but that's kind of thick, which you said you don't want. I don't like hardcover Bibles, but they're better than bonded leather or paperback.

Words of Christ in red is good, but not a deal-breaker if the Bible doesn't have it. And I would never buy a Bible that is thumb-indexed; I despise those things!

If you want info on a specific translation, PM me and I'll ask my dh, who knows even more about these things.

Edited by ereks mom

All of those things are important to me too. Additionally, I like a Bible that gives some study notes, with cultural explanations and cross-references to other scripture. I like a topical index and a variety of maps. I think you'd be fine with any NIV in the past decade. It's likely to be up to date on scholarly information in the study notes.

I much prefer single column Bibles, but those are really hard to find. The Message, the HCSB Minister's Bible, the Life Application Study Bible, the NASB Inductive Study Bible, and some of the Harper Collins NRSVs are single column, at least in the prose sections.

Wide margin Bibles are also quite exciting. The HCSB Minister's Bible and the NASB Inductive Study Bible are both wide margin. You can also find wide margin editions of other translations, but they tend to be more expensive.

If you want to know about really nice Bibles (leather, etc.) I would suggest the Bible Design Blog.

I prefer a study Bible with lots of good notes and cross-references. I like John MacArthur's study Bible. I enjoy reading either King James or New King James but also have the NASB because that's the version our church uses during worship.

ETA: many years ago when I first started attending church with my husband my parents who are atheist Buddhists bought me a very nice leather study Bible with my name embossed (is that the right term for writing on leather?) on the front. It was one of th nicer and mor thoughtful gifts my parents have given me. It was kind of their way of saying we think you are crazy but since you're an adult we'll support this whole religion thing for the sake of relationships.

Edited by acurtis75@yahoo.com

I think I prefer the 1984 NIV, but that might be because I am used to it! If I am used to reading a verse a certain way (particularly if we have memorized it!) I want it to stay that way!

You can go to Biblegateway.com and look up several passages in both, and you can get a feel for the differences.

I like study Bibles, with the notes at the bottom, but that might be overwhelming for your dh if he's new to all this. I would go for a really basic version for him. DD--it depends. Is she ready for a study Bible yet?

NIV has many thinline versions available. You can get deals on the 1984 versions right now.

I like the Concordia Self-Study Bible in NIV, the hardcover version, a lot. It has been my workhorse Bible for over 15 years. It has study notes, essays at the beginning of each book, maps, charts, diagrams, etc. But it's a nice amount of information, not overwhelming. It's the best single volume Bible of its kind that I have seen. It's fine for 7th grade and up, I think.

Concordia has a newer study Bible that has more extensive notes, and it's good, but I don't know that I would recommend it for someone who is sort of recently churched. It's so much more complicated. It might be a little over the top. It is also only available in ESV, and you wanted NIV.

Edited by Carol in Cal.