Menu

What's your 2 or 3 year old getting for Christmas?

I'm all set shopping for my six-year-old, who has tons of interests and also obligingly wrote out a Christmas list. ("Critmas list for Alex age 6: cemistey set, lots of candy, Amarakin gril dolls Kanai and Jule books incuded.")

My son is harder to shop for. He likes books and puzzles and tagging after his sister, but it's hard to think of what would make a good "wow, Santa!" present. I was looking at a train table and Thomas trains, but even on Craigslist they're very expensive.

What will your preschooler be getting? I'd love some ideas. Our budget is about $150 per kid, which should cover a big Santa present, a medium-sized Mom & Dad present, and maybe a couple of small things.

I'm still deciding for my 2.5yr old boy, but I will say this....he LOVES Imaginext toys. LOVES them. Maybe something to look at anyway :)

I have a friend with a 6.5yr old son who still plays with them, so I'm hoping to have a lot of longevity in the few he got for his bday back in June.

Other than girly things, DD2 is getting the citiblocs rattle blocks, some Playmobil 123 (zoo or farm haven't decided), and maybe some duplos. She loves magnatiles but we have to help her build the houses for her animals. She doesn't quite get snail's pace race but she tries to play it with her siblings and is always stealing the little snails and dice to play "by herself."

I have heard nothing but good things about the Imaginext Batcave if your son is into superheroes. Unfortunately none of mine have been.

Christine

My 2 y.o. little guy is getting the Melissa and Doug Wooden Railroad and some Thomas characters to go along with it. Also, a magnetic fishing set (from Lakeshore Learning) and a toolbox toy.

Oh and some Megabloks. He played with these at someone's house and loved them.

Imaginext has been a HUGE hit here as well...even my 9-month-old scoots up to the nearest Imaginext toy and fiddles with it for a while. If your DS doesn't like superheros much, there's still the jets or astronaut toys or Cars. Go to the Fisher Price website to see the full line. We're adding more jets so everyone can have one--DH loves playing with them, too!

Also, about Thomas the Train...don't worry about getting a train table. Put some money into a couple of track sets and half a dozen trains, and you're set. My kids build tracks all around the living room, in and out of furniture, and can crawl all over the set as they're building and playing with it. I thought I was depriving them by not putting money into a train table, but then I realized it's so much more fun to be able to spread out all over! We use the Wooden Railway system, and these are such high quality toys, I plan on keeping the whole set for my grandkids one day. I'll add a track set or a couple of trains every few months so it earns fresh attention. But like Legos, this is a real keeper...forever and ever. :)

For a stocking stuffer, check your local Wal-Mart for a cape and mask set. I found one for $5 at W-M just before DS's birthday in Sept, and he LOVES it. He has a Mater Pillow Pet (another good idea!), and one of his sisters showed him how to put the cape on Mater. Now we have Super Mater, LOL!

Don't forget old standbys, like a cowboy hat or cowboy boots or rain boots. Buzz Lightyear is a celebrity at our house, as is Shaun the Sheep.

HTH!

Thought I would add...my DS loved Megablocs, too, but they got more attention when he was about 18 mos to 30 mos (1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years). Now that he's 4, they don't get much love. If your DS is coming up on 3, I'd invest in the trains and Imaginext instead, or maybe something like Kid K'nex or the Duplo blocks.

And another idea...a car mat (aka, road carpet). No boy's room is complete without a car mat, LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Carpets-Giant-Road-Carpet/dp/B00001P4YD/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322931748&sr=8-3

Edited by By Grace

My 2-year-old is getting from us:

miniature power drill/screwdriver set (real!) to work with Daddy

3 Imaginext planes

large toy helicopter

Christmas pjs and monkey slippers (family tradition to open on Christmas Eve)

from relatives:

Design and Drill (I can't wait to play with this, lol!)

Tonka Toughest Mini fire engine

Some recent thrift store purchases that have been major hits around here have been: Magna Doodle, Aqua Doodle, toy guitar, remote control robot and train.

Edited by AndyJoy

My 3yo is getting a ukulele. A pink one. :D She's been dying to learn a string instrument, and you can get a durable, nice-sounding ukulele for thirty bucks. Also, she'll never outgrow it- they're supposed to be small.

It'll make a good stepping stone to more difficult string instruments, too.

I agree with the other posters who said just get the train and track and don't worry about the table. I found my daughter a set of wooden tracks that had 8 pieces, 4 trains, and formed a circle last year when she was 2. She has played with it every day for the last year and this year she's getting some more tracks with a bridge. She still doesn't have a table, we just don't have the room, but it has been used and loved anyways.

My 2 1/2 year old and 4 1/2 year old both love the magnatiles we got my 4 1/2 year old for his birthday. They are used daily here. The train set is also big here. Another items that is liked a lot here are Automoblox, DS got 2 last year for the holidays and we added a 3rd full size one for his birthday, he also has a bunch of the minis.

My 2 1/2 year old is getting a stringing set of alphabet letters, some my little ponies, a couple of books, and a doll, which probably doesn't help much.

My 3 year old is getting these items~I didn't buy them from Amazon but thought I would share from one place :001_smile:

BatCave

Memory Game I got this for $3.99 at Target the day after Thanksgiving

Spider Man Playset

Captain American Mask and Shield

Dominoes(Super heroes in a tin box)~bought from Kohls($5.99..can't find a link for them)

Not sure what he is getting in his stocking yet(I'm thinking a few golden books and I always get my kids one thing of candy for their stocking)

Might see if I can order this and have it here in time

Edited by Kristafish

Our 2yo has so many handed down items from big brother -- many things he loves more than brother ever did. Not to mention he just had a birthday in October. So, he is getting a big metal Tonka dump truck and front loader, a Blue stuffed dog, and a Blues Clues DVD. He loves trucks and "Boose Boose" so that should be about right.

I'm getting my 3 and 4 yo nephews a Thomas the Tank Engine pop-up tent this year. My kids have one, and a similar one shaped like a school bus, and they have been played with over and over by my kids as well as any other kids who come over to play. They pile them full of blankets and pillows and have all kinds of imaginary games, train-related or not :D It is on the big side when it's fully popped-out, but folds down flat.

A green Bilibo! I'm guessing it's primary uses will be as a drum, a helmet, and a spinner. [He'll be getting it on Dec. 6 -- if I remember, I'll post and let you know how it goes over with him.]

Also, a little baseball glove and ball ($10 at Target) and a picture book.

Your daughter's list is adorable! Save it!

If he likes trains then Brio trains are great, and you can keep adding to the set for many many years :D. And I agree with PP don't bother with a train table, just let him play with them on the floor in the living room or play room.

My niece who will be 17 months by Christmas is getting a Pippi doll

My ds3.5 is a train track maniac; he is the only one of my dc who could effectively build complex tracks by this age. I agree, don't fool around with a table, as the floor provides WAY more scope for the imagination. :D he asked for and will receive this set of lincoln log-type blocks. I chose these because they include more long pieces to allow for better building.

My 3yo is getting a ukulele. A pink one. :D She's been dying to learn a string instrument, and you can get a durable, nice-sounding ukulele for thirty bucks. Also, she'll never outgrow it- they're supposed to be small.

It'll make a good stepping stone to more difficult string instruments, too.

I like that! Neat idea!

My almost 3 yo is getting a little bike w/ training wheels and probably a bike helmet.

I agree that a train table isn't really necessary. It takes up a lot of floor space and limits the size of the layouts they can build. (We've considered giving ours away, but it turns out that it's just the right size to hold the guinea pig cage. :))

We're maxed out on trains already, so our little guy is getting a Duplo set and some books.

Playmobil 1-2-3 is also great. We'd be looking at the Family House, Large Farm, and Countryside if we didn't already have older sets that are similar. The new versions have some very appealing features, such as the bridge, the slide, the pulley system, and especially the extra baseplates. Baseplates are always in high demand!