Menu

Anyone care to tell me about my new baby girls?

I apologize up front for the link but no matter how hard I tried I could not get a pic to attatch, so for anyone willing to go look I appreciate it very much!!

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc437/mommypayed/Puppies/

My neighbor found four wondering the highway and didn't want them killed so they came home with him. Two came over for the night to help him out we are calling them Shiloh in honor of the movie and Kyloh to rhyme LOL.

Does anyone know what they are possibly? I mean I know they are mutts but I really can't see anything in them, but again I am not all dog smart either. Thanks for looking!!

Can you guys tell me what you are looking at to see that? I am really wondering what you are seeing to say pit. Like I said Unless it is obvious I can't tell. Their paws are not very big not to me but maybe I don't know what I am seeing lol.

The 'shortness' of their snout. Does that make sense? Our lab/pit bull puppy (from years ago) had a short snout like that -- years later, and having become more dog savvy, I can look and tell. But, it's something one doesn't spot immediately without lots of practice.

I kind of see it maybe. I don't know much about breeds though. Do you guys think they will get big I read if their paws seem very big they will be big dogs.

Our lab/pit mix was about 50 lbs. THAT was another way to tell - labs are typically larger -- but the pit bull kept her smaller in size.

She had a good disposition -- socialization is important - being around other dogs from an early age. By the time we tried to bring another dog into the picture, we had waited too long.

Ours was a good dog -- a good watch dog, very protective, not aggressive. Her problem was that she would chew EVRYTHING -- no matter how we tried, she was always chewing on everything - for years! THAT was what did her in - as far as we could determine, she ate a golf ball, began to bleed internally and had to be put down. Except for the chewing thing, she was a good pooch!

Our lab/pit mix was about 50 lbs. THAT was another way to tell - labs are typically larger -- but the pit bull kept her smaller in size.

She had a good disposition -- socialization is important - being around other dogs from an early age. By the time we tried to bring another dog into the picture, we had waited too long.

Ours was a good dog -- a good watch dog, very protective, not aggressive. Her problem was that she would chew EVRYTHING -- no matter how we tried, she was always chewing on everything - for years! THAT was what did her in - as far as we could determine, she ate a golf ball, began to bleed internally and had to be put down. Except for the chewing thing, she was a good pooch!

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear that!

Pit bulls are GREAT dogs!!! The dog on Little Rascals was a pit, if that helps :)

Very good with kids.

Check out the picture in my signature....the dog on the right is a pit mix. Great with my toddler and the love of my son's life. I am a vet tech, and LOVE Pit Bulls.

Edited by ktgrok

The one with the brown ear looks remarkably similar to our lab/pit mix that we adopted last Christmas. Here is a pic of her at about 8-10wks old, beside my youngest dd, who had just turned two.

DSCF2005.jpg

She is now fully grown, at around 50lbs. MarianNOVA, I can SO relate to the chewing stuff! Rosie drives us crazy with her urge to chew, particularly on expensive wooden toys! She is a wonderfully sweet dog, though, with a heart of gold. She just has very little brain, bless her heart. :)

ETA a recent pic:

DSCF1007-1.jpg

Edited by ravinlunachick

Oh wow I am so sorry to hear that!

Awwww, thank you. She was a good dog. When we first got her, she was a surprise Christmas present for DD31 who was 13 at the time (good grief, that's a long time ago). Anyway, the dog practically lived in DH's jacket, huddled against him for the first two weeks - everywhere dh went, the dog went. they really bonded -- she was very protective of me when I was pg, and she treated all three kids as if they were her puppies -- she would sleep outside of their rooms, she was very protective.

Pit/beagle was my first thought as well. The muzzle and the color (think about it--there are not really that many big white dogs) are what I am basing the pit on; the beagle is from the ears. My second thought was, "Cute!"

There also is the possibility that they have different fathers.

Terri

The one with the brown ear looks remarkably similar to our lab/pit mix that we adopted last Christmas. Here is a pic of her at about 8-10wks old, beside my youngest dd, who had just turned two.

DSCF2005.jpg

She is now fully grown, at around 50lbs. MarianNOVA, I can SO relate to the chewing stuff! Rosie drives us crazy with her urge to chew, particularly on expensive wooden toys! She is a wonderfully sweet dog, though, with a heart of gold. She just has very little brain, bless her heart. :)

ETA a recent pic:

DSCF1007-1.jpg

She's beautiful -- she does look like our 'Puck.' Yes, beautiful and brainless, THAT was Puck -- but sweet.

You will want to have them scanned for micro-chips to make certain they don't belong to someone else--

and,if they become yours, will you homeschool them? :tongue_smilie:

Well of course they will be homeschooled!!! I will have to wait a few days till I go to town for the humane society to scan them though

DSCF2005.jpg

ETA a recent pic:

DSCF1007-1.jpg

AWWWW i love her she is so sweet looking

Pit/beagle was my first thought as well. The muzzle and the color (think about it--there are not really that many big white dogs) are what I am basing the pit on; the beagle is from the ears. My second thought was, "Cute!"

There also is the possibility that they have different fathers.

Terri

Yeah we have no idea where they came from like I said the neighbor just found them playing on the old country back road that all the truckers use so he picked them up. They were in the middle of no where so we just assume someone ditched them. Sadly that happens alot around here.

There were 4 Two of the ones all white with brown on the ear and the other two were the brown white mix. They are all about equal in size. They would not have lasted long on this road I will tell ya that.

My oldest daughter her bestfriend took one that looks like the brown white one we have. My neighbor will take in anything God love him, I know he is overwhelmed so I am hoping to find a home for the boy he has over there!

Those doggies were fortunate you took them in -- bless you!:grouphug:

Yeah I will keep that in mind when they have chewed something up LOL. I know it is stupid but my heart just goes out to animals because they are just so mistreated by some people. I also have a soft spot for some pretty adorable kids too lol!

Gosh, I hate to break up the lovefest but there is NO WAY I'd let dogs/puppies/animals of unknown origin to crawl all over my kids and house like that.

What if they have parvo? Or fleas? Or worms?

I would have found a safe, warm place to use as a holding area until I could get them checked out by a vet.

Definitely pit bull (American Staffordshire Terrier) - you can see it in the snout of the white one.

The other one looks like more of a beagle to me ... maybe they are not full siblings, or maybe each favors different genes in the pool.

I would be extremely leery of taking in abandoned pit bull puppies. Who knows how they were bred (more likely than not for aggression) and all the love in the world can't make up for aggressive breeding. Not when you have kids.

ETA: I'm not saying all Pitt Bulls are aggressive, but some are bred that way and with the ones being likely abandoned ... I would worry that that's the environment they came from.

Edited by ondreeuh

Definitely pit bull (American Staffordshire Terrier) - you can see it in the snout of the white one.

The other one looks like more of a beagle to me ... maybe they are not full siblings, or maybe each favors different genes in the pool.

I would be extremely leery of taking in abandoned pit bull puppies. Who knows how they were bred (more likely than not for aggression) and all the love in the world can't make up for aggressive breeding. Not when you have kids.

My guess is the pit bull had an unwanted mixed litter and the owner abandoned them. More than likely, especially with the beagle mix, they wouldn't be aggressive enough for the pit bull owner, or they would have been kept. Personally, I wouldn't trust a full bred pitbull, but wouldn't have a problem with a mix - especially since they've been taken in at such a young age.

Gosh, I hate to break up the lovefest but there is NO WAY I'd let dogs/puppies/animals of unknown origin to crawl all over my kids and house like that.

What if they have parvo? Or fleas? Or worms?

I would have found a safe, warm place to use as a holding area until I could get them checked out by a vet.

Well, parvo can't be spread to humans and fleas can be seen and I have been told by every vet that all puppies are born with worms which is why at the first appt. for shots they are given dewormer. I gave them that today:D

They also didn't handle them until they were bathed. They only slept with them a bit before being crated. I was always under the impression that it is good for pups to play for socialization issues.

But raised in a loving home means they will be loving right??? I mean I shouldn't be afraid or anything just because there might be some pitt in them? I was raised with rots I never been around a pit before but I mean it is not exactly the dog but more how it is raised isn't it?

They can be *great* dogs! My dd (who absolutely *loves* pits) thinks there is some pit, but also some hound of some sort too. You can find some good info on pits here: http://www.chako.org/ and pictures too to help you figure it out. They have some good videos on their youtube.com site that is linked from their website.

Enjoy your puppies! :001_smile:

Well, parvo can't be spread to humans and fleas can be seen and I have been told by every vet that all puppies are born with worms which is why at the first appt. for shots they are given dewormer. I gave them that today:D

They also didn't handle them until they were bathed. They only slept with them a bit before being crated. I was always under the impression that it is good for pups to play for socialization issues.

I never said parvo COULD be spread to humans. If those puppies had parvo, THEIR lives are in danger. Plus parvo can live in your soil.

You don't ALWAYS see fleas.

But you seem to think you've got this all covered so best of luck to you.

I'm sorry. I am just worried about the puppies and your family. I know a family that lost a puppy to parvo and the kids were devastated. Then she (the mom) found out her soil could be contaminated. It's just awful, what it can do.

We lost a dog years ago too and it sucks!! I totally agree. I was reading about it lastnight and the page I was on, of course can't find it now since I cleaned the computer files thing, but in puppies it will show up fairly quickly since they are so young. I know they were at neighbors for two days and they seem active and healthy.

I know I also didn't think this clearly which always happens when the two youngest are involved. They just looked so happy it was hard to say no lol.

We lost a dog years ago too and it sucks!! I totally agree. I was reading about it lastnight and the page I was on, of course can't find it now since I cleaned the computer files thing, but in puppies it will show up fairly quickly since they are so young. I know they were at neighbors for two days and they seem active and healthy.

I know I also didn't think this clearly which always happens when the two youngest are involved. They just looked so happy it was hard to say no lol.

:grouphug: I really want everything to be OK.

Please forgive me: I can see tragedy on the a trip to the grocery store sometimes. Our family joke is not that I see the glass as half-empty, it's that I see it as half-full of poison.