Menu

Pain! (TMI, Women Issues)

I hurt. I hurt, I hurt, I hurt.

And its not RSD for a change...although that hurts too :lol:

TMI to follow....

Ever since Baby Boo was born, I haven't had 'normal' post partum discharge. Its been very sporadic, very, very light, a lot of times none at all. He'll be 2 wks old tomorrow, and from what I remember with my other kids, that's totally abnormal.

The visiting nurse who came out the day after we got home said my fundus was still high. He's the first baby I haven't nursed, so I'm not used to this being an issue at all. I *think* that my uterus is still huge, sitting under my belly button, but since I've never checked for placement before, I'm not 100% sure that's actually what I'm feeling.

After pains are still happening now and then. My lower back, mainly on the left side is killing me right now. I *know* I shouldn't still be having after pains at this point, the uterus should be normal size by now...but I have the sinking feeling its not.

Boo has an appt with our GP on Wed, so I'm going to get seen at that time too.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm telling you...btwn RSD, suspected blood clots, and now this, if Boo wasn't going to be our last baby before, he is now!! :lol:

:grouphug::grouphug:

sorry. After DD17 was born, I had a similiar problem even though I was nursing. Finally passed a really huge (painful) clot and then everything proceeded as normal. But I am pretty sure it didn't take me 2 weeks to do that - probably the first week. It's a good thing that you have an appointment in a couple of days, I think.

A nurse did a phone check up on me this aft. She suggested the ER. NO! I did mention the issues I was having when I was there for the suspected blood clot in my leg, as per the phone link's instructions, but they didn't even touch my abdomen...and I mentioned it several times. :glare:

If I pop a fever, start hemmorraging, or the pain is so bad I can't cope, I'll go in...short of that, it can wait. I'm not spending more time in the ER if I can help it!

your uterus was massaged and they got the full placenta out, didn't they?

It's definitely not normal. Have you placed a call into your dr?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I heard that the placenta was 'complete'. I was shown to massage the belly, but nobody did it for me.

I haven't called the OB. Today has been dealing with the van issues. Friday and Sat was dealing w/potential blood clot. I can get in to see the GP on Wed...Baby has an appt tomorrow that can't be changed, so I figure I may as well wait to see the GP. Chances are, if he's worried, I'll be sent back to the stinking ER, which is also likely what the OB would do as well, since I doubt this is something he could do anything about in the office.

ARGH.

I heard that the placenta was 'complete'. I was shown to massage the belly, but nobody did it for me.

I haven't called the OB. Today has been dealing with the van issues. Friday and Sat was dealing w/potential blood clot. I can get in to see the GP on Wed...Baby has an appt tomorrow that can't be changed, so I figure I may as well wait to see the GP. Chances are, if he's worried, I'll be sent back to the stinking ER, which is also likely what the OB would do as well, since I doubt this is something he could do anything about in the office.

ARGH.

I'm surprised they showed YOU how to massage the belly. I had mine massaged, even against my protest, all three times.

Hang in there. It will all work out!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm surprised they showed YOU how to massage the belly. I had mine massaged, even against my protest, all three times.

Hang in there. It will all work out!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm guessing b/c I'm not nursing is why they showed me. I've had to continue it at home.

Why can't things just go smoothly for a change? I'm really sick and tired of all the carp that's happened in the last 2 wks. MIL flipping out, Wolf frying the van, 2 trips to the ER...I've had enough. :crying:

I'm literally hunched over in my chair b/c my back is that sore.

Are you emptying your bladder? Did you have an epidural? I can't remember... Sometimes women can have trouble emptying their bladder after baby. That can keep the uterus from clamping down because the bladder is in the way. Either that, or it could be a clot. Do you not have a follow up with an ob?

Nevermind... just saw the GP follow up. I'd want to be seen by an ob. I'd call and see if you can get an appointment. If the baby is fine, reschedule her appointment.

Edited by staceyobu

Are you emptying your bladder? Did you have an epidural? I can't remember... Sometimes women can have trouble emptying their bladder after baby. That can keep the uterus from clamping down because the bladder is in the way. Either that, or it could be a clot. Do you not have a follow up with an ob?

Bladder emptying, yes. Epidural, yes. OB appt won't be til 6 wk mark, normally. Easier and faster, generally speaking, to get in to my GP than the OB.

Ugh. You shouldn't be able to feel your fundus 2 weeks postpartum. Is it tender when you palpate it? It does sound like you've either got a clot in there or that you have an infection starting. Are you taking tylenol and/or motrin? If so, that could be masking a fever. I know you have an appt with your GP Wednesday, but I think you need to see your OB really soon...like tomorrow.

Ugh. You shouldn't be able to feel your fundus 2 weeks postpartum. Is it tender when you palpate it? It does sound like you've either got a clot in there or that you have an infection starting. Are you taking tylenol and/or motrin? If so, that could be masking a fever. I know you have an appt with your GP Wednesday, but I think you need to see your OB really soon...like tomorrow.

Pay attention to Nurse Nakia! :grouphug:

I'll call his office tomorrow. They'll probably tell me to go to the stoopid ER though. :glare:

Yes, my abdomen is tender.

Did I mention that Wolf fried the van? Which means no personal transportation, have to cab it everywhere. In the -bazillion degrees C here.

I wanna cry.

I just had a baby in July. I had pre-eclampsia and I had a c-section with vertical incision due to previous medical issues. I was in intensive care for 5 days with 4 units of blood. I was released after 5 days. I went back in 5 days later to the ER and had to be admitted for not feeling well.

Looking back at my experiences, I would recommend the ER if your uterus isn't feeling right. I tried dr. appts before going the the ER and they really couldn't do much with the uterus. I needed a ultrasound and CT scan done and it had to be done at the hospital.

I just had a baby in July. I had pre-eclampsia and I had a c-section with vertical incision due to previous medical issues. I was in intensive care for 5 days with 4 units of blood. I was released after 5 days. I went back in 5 days later to the ER and had to be admitted for not feeling well.

Looking back at my experiences, I would recommend the ER if your uterus isn't feeling right. I tried dr. appts before going the the ER and they really couldn't do much with the uterus. I needed a ultrasound and CT scan done and it had to be done at the hospital.

My OB, if I can get in to him (seriously doubt it on short notice) has both portable and other u/s machine in his office. He'd be able to tell if there's something wrong.

The GP will at least be able to confirm or deny that what I'm feeling is the fundus.

I get the sinking feeling I've got another trip to the hospital in my near future, but would really, REALLY rather not head to the ER again.

sorry. After DD17 was born, I had a similiar problem even though I was nursing. Finally passed a really huge (painful) clot and then everything proceeded as normal. But I am pretty sure it didn't take me 2 weeks to do that - probably the first week. It's a good thing that you have an appointment in a couple of days, I think.

***TMI ALERT****

I passed a large clot a few days after Boo was born, but nothing like that since.

Did I mention that Wolf fried the van? Which means no personal transportation, have to cab it everywhere. In the -bazillion degrees C here.

I wanna cry.

I gonna smacka you!

Call me. If I can you know I will. If I can't then you'd have taken a cab anyway. Might as well try! So... CALL... it's 780-CAL-LMEE!!! :D

I hurt. I hurt, I hurt, I hurt.

And its not RSD for a change...although that hurts too :lol:

TMI to follow....

Ever since Baby Boo was born, I haven't had 'normal' post partum discharge. Its been very sporadic, very, very light, a lot of times none at all. He'll be 2 wks old tomorrow, and from what I remember with my other kids, that's totally abnormal.

The visiting nurse who came out the day after we got home said my fundus was still high. He's the first baby I haven't nursed, so I'm not used to this being an issue at all. I *think* that my uterus is still huge, sitting under my belly button, but since I've never checked for placement before, I'm not 100% sure that's actually what I'm feeling.

After pains are still happening now and then. My lower back, mainly on the left side is killing me right now. I *know* I shouldn't still be having after pains at this point, the uterus should be normal size by now...but I have the sinking feeling its not.

Boo has an appt with our GP on Wed, so I'm going to get seen at that time too.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'm telling you...btwn RSD, suspected blood clots, and now this, if Boo wasn't going to be our last baby before, he is now!! :lol:

I had retained menbranes with baby #4. They were blocking the cervix so that the fluids could not discharge properly. I went to the hospital twice because I was running a fever and had a foul smell but no discharge. They ran U/S both times but couldn't see anything because it was just a very thin membrane blocking the cervix. Bacteria started growing in the fluids and at about 3 months post partum I became deathly ill. I was rushed to the hospital where they discovered that I had a severe case of septicemia. I was literally on death's door step. The dr. said that if I hadn't come in when I did, I definitely would have died and my odds weren't so good when I showed up. I spent two weeks in ICU on multiple IV antibiotics. I was also pretty much unconscious most of the time due to the morphine for the pain. I remember almost none of it. I would get a check up if I was you.

I gonna smacka you!

Call me. If I can you know I will. If I can't then you'd have taken a cab anyway. Might as well try! So... CALL... it's 780-CAL-LMEE!!! :D

I know, Hon. These things tend to crop up in the worst times, though!

I had retained menbranes with baby #4. They were blocking the cervix so that the fluids could not discharge properly. I went to the hospital twice because I was running a fever and had a foul smell but no discharge. They ran U/S both times but couldn't see anything because it was just a very thin membrane blocking the cervix. Bacteria started growing in the fluids and at about 3 months post partum I became deathly ill. I was rushed to the hospital where they discovered that I had a severe case of septicemia. I was literally on death's door step. The dr. said that if I hadn't come in when I did, I definitely would have died and my odds weren't so good when I showed up. I spent two weeks in ICU on multiple IV antibiotics. I was also pretty much unconscious most of the time due to the morphine for the pain. I remember almost none of it. I would get a check up if I was you.

Calling my OB today, promise. And will see the GP tomorrow if the OB can't get me in (which I figure he won't)

I know you're not breastfeeding this baby, but did your milk come in at all after he was born? Lack of milk can be a sign of a retained placenta.

I agree with the others that you probably ought to be seen soon :grouphug:

I did have some aching and such, so yeah, I'd say my milk came in. Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting though. I did hear the Dr say that the placenta was 'complete', so I'm guessing its not that.

Thanks for asking!

Wasn't able to get in to the OB, as I expected. So, seeing GP today.

I figure one of 3 things will happen:

1) Uterus is fine, I'm a whackadoodle, no further steps required.

2) Fundus is high, they scramble to find me an u/s appt for today.

3) Fundus is high, no u/s appt, send me off to the hospital for u/s.

Sorry. I came home and went straight to bed. Btwn RSD, and baby up at night, I'm exhausted these days.

What I was feeling is indeed the fundus just below my navel. However, my GP isn't worried about it. He says it feels firm, not 'boggy' (did I mention he's Irish, and used to deliver babies there?), no fever, no foul smell, and takes the lack of discharge as a good thing. Since it has come down since the nurse checked me, he's going with 'every woman's body is different, and this is your 5th baby. Your body obviously hasn't read the manual of supposed to happen.' He says without signs of an infection, etc, there's really nothing to be done but wait anyways. He actually described the pattern of the after pains I've been having before I said a thing, the on again, off again stuff, so it seems like he's seen this before and has a clue. I hope.

So, I guess I wait and see if I develop an infection, or if things slowly meander their way back into place.

On the bright side, both he and his office assistant were completely agog over Boo. Pronounced him 'perfect', 'beautiful' and 'wonderful', LOL.

Boo was weighed with clothes and diaper on (he was just circ'd the day before, so Dr didn't want to mess with him too much, listened to lungs, heart, but stayed away from the diaper) and has gone from 7 lbs even at birth to 7 lbs 14.5 oz. I figure minus clothes and diaper, he's probably about 5-6oz lighter, but since he's probably lost weight as most babies do, its still a good gain.

With each baby I had worse and worse and WORSE afterpains.....serious...some worse than my labor pains. I hope you are feeling better soon. Mine took a few weeks to clear up. I thought I was fine...then blammo....ouchie!!

Baby 5.... Oh, your poor uterus....it is just doing it's exercises.

Faithe

I didn't have the issues of my uterus staying big, I don't think it had a chance, due to issues with the delivery of Izzy within 20 minutes of being the hospital I had a shot of pit, a shot of morphine and a nurse laying across my belly (placenta would not come out and I was bleeding a lot). That said, my afterpains were insane. I needed T3s for almost 2 weeks to deal with them, and then regular motrin for another couple weeks. I was bfing her so I don't know if that made it worse, but oh my word, they lasted a long time and were very painful. I never went back for my 6 week check but I know they had stopped by then.