Menu

So let's hear it from you McCain supporters....

Since every thread about politics seems to end with the Republicans warning about global collapse should a Democrat be elected president, and the Democrats attempting to defend their candidates by pointing at the last eight years, I'd like to know something.

Those of you who plan to vote for McCain......why? For example, yOu (collective 'you') slam Obama and Clinton's policies on health care and the economy. So let's hear what it is about McCain's health care and economic policies that really blow your skirt up?

Clearly we Democrats are in the minority here, so really, we should be hearing a lot more about what makes the Republican nominee the better choice for America.

Honestly.....I'm really looking to understand McCain better, not start a battle.

So if you are a McCain supporter, what is it about McCain that earns your support?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since every thread about politics seems to end with the Republicans warning about global collapse should a Democrat be elected president, and the Democrats attempting to defend their candidates by pointing at the last eight years, I'd like to know something.

Those of you who plan to vote for McCain......why? For example, yOu (collective 'you') slam Obama and Clinton's policies on health care and the economy. So let's hear what it is about McCain's health care and economic policies that really blow your skirt up?

Clearly we Democrats are in the minority here, so really, we should be hearing a lot more about what makes the Republican nominee the better choice for America.

Honestly.....I'm really looking to understand McCain better, not start a battle.

So if you are a McCain supporter, what is it about McCain that earns your support?

Oh, Astrid, you rabble rouser!;)

McCain is not my first choice either. This election year is hard for me. Do I vote party lines because it's my party or do I vote my conscience? I really wish that we had a man like Reagan again. I really wish that there was somebody, anybody that I could get behind and say, "I am proud to be associated with this guy!"

Well, since McCain is the Republican nominee, I'd like to hear from those who support his candidacy, but by all means, jump in! This is an equal-opportunity rabble-rouse! :D

And I always value your thoughts and opinions, Kelli!

Is McCain a republican? Oh wait his dance card says he is but he sure doesn't look like a elephant but then he doesn't look like a donkey either.... more like a elekey........ or donphant or maybe ....... :confused:

Whoops this was for McCain supporters sorry ;)

:leaving:

Maybe I shouldnt ring in, because along with being an educational anarchist, I am apolitical.

My dh, is a staunch Repub. and feels as the others has posted. Loyalty to a party, therefore vote Mccain.

My feeling is vote for who you believe in, or dont vote at all. Just like the brew ha ha, where Repubs were voting for Hillary to cause turmoil. That should be illegal, you cant switch parties to mess with the polls.

I personally do not vote, sorry. I havent found anyone to truly believe in. When I do I will be the first one there. This is why I stay out of politics. I dont think this is what our founding fathers wanted.

Hope I dont get too much flack,

Jeannette:confused:

Is McCain a republican? Oh wait his dance card says he is but he sure doesn't look like a elephant but then he doesn't look like a donkey either.... more like a elekey........ or donphant or maybe ....... :confused:

Naah, he looks like an a$$ to me...

:leaving:

I'll be voting for McCain. Why? He's maginally less obnoxious than the Dems. :tongue_smilie:

I would prefer a small governments conservative, but as I've mentioned on other treads, it's usually a choice between the lesser of two evils. This election year, that's McCain.

Obama has no national political leadership experience. One year in the US senate, prior to beginning his presidential bid, doesn't qualify him to run my dishwasher. I think some people are so eager to "break the barrier" they're willing to overlook the most obvious deficiancies. As for "CHANGE", how vacuous. If McCain wins it will be because Dems were so willing to throw Hillary, or any really qualified Dem (like Joe Biden), under the bus in exchange for the illusion of moral superiority (in the Obama choice). Good luck with that.

In the end, we'll get the government we deserve. Either way, I'm NOT moving to Canada or France. God Bess America.:D

I really wish that we had a man like Reagan again.

I voted for Reagan in 1980 -- the first time presidential election in which I was old enough to vote. And I voted for him again in 1984. I think he was a tremendous unifying factor in American politics. Even my BIL, who had always voted Democrat, voted for Reagan.

He was held as a prisoner of war in Vietnam for a long time enduring torture, broken limbs, hopelessness, depression, and starvation. He had the chance to go home because he was an admiral's son. He refused because he knew it would cause the other service men he was imprisoned with to lose faith. He stayed for his country.

To me, John McCain cares about this country and would make an awesome president. Barrack is too young and inexperienced in diplomacy. McCain a lot of experience here.

This country needs someone who can work with everyone to rebuild the situation in Iraq - and see it through. Someone experienced in diplomacy.

Personally, I am glad Barrack won the nomination - now McCain has a better chance of winning in November .

<<me ducking and running :)>>

I will be voting and campaigning for McCain. Why? Because he is a strong supporter of national defense and the battle against terrorism and rogue nations like North Korea. Furthermore he has voted for and will be much more likely to nominate Supreme Court candidates I agree with. He is not as conservative as I am, however he is not a raving liberal like Obama. Obama wants to cut and run from Iraq. That will embolden our enemies. Lastly, McCain has experience and Obama has virtually none. I disliked Hillary Clinton as a candidate but she did not disturb me as much as Obama.

This is an equal-opportunity rabble-rouse! :D

And I always value your thoughts and opinions, Kelli!

Well, thank you. The diversity of this board is what keeps me around. My real life friends are all pretty much like me! May I call you my internet friend?

Anyway, for all of my life I have had certain litmus tests for a candidate. These litmus tests had everything to do with my faith and what my faith teaches about sin and redemption, right and wrong.

(Let's please, everyone and anyone, don't go into what is right and what is wrong because this could be a very interesting thread if it does not get hijacked by an abortion debate or a lifestyle choice debate or what have you)

My views have not changed. My faith and the traditions and teachings of my faith have not changed. But I am looking at these two candidates and I am saying "Will either one of them really share my values where the rubber meets the road? If not, which one might make our country better in other ways?"

And, here is the biggie for me and I could incur the wrath of my conservative friends on here.......who's more likely to bring our soldiers home the fastest? Because if I am pro-life I have to consider the unborn life and the grown up life and I have to grieve equally over the loss of either.

And all of this has put me at odds with my traditional election day choices. It has put me at odds with my daughter. It has put me at odds with my husband. And if I had the nerve to discuss this with my friends in real life, it would put me at odds with all of them too.

I am feeling pretty lonely these days.

Obama has no national political leadership experience. One year in the US senate, prior to beginning his presidential bid, doesn't qualify him to run my dishwasher. I think some people are so eager to "break the barrier" they're willing to overlook the most obvious deficiancies. As for "CHANGE", how vacuous. If McCain wins it will be because Dems were so willing to throw Hillary, or any really qualified Dem (like Joe Biden), under the bus in exchange for the illusion of moral superiority (in the Obama choice). Good luck with that..:D

Interesting......I asked for what it is about McCain's positions or policies that earns your support. What you wrote was all the reasons you feel the other candidates are not qualified. Hmmmm.......

So what is it about MCCAIN that makes you want to vote for him?

that he is NOT Obama. Honestly, Obama scares me to death. His policies, his support of the UN Rights of the Child (something ALL parents should be afraid of), his religion, his views, etc.

McCain is certainly not my first choice, but he will win my vote because he is the lesser of 2 evils. I would like to see Ron Paul up there!

He was held as a prisoner of war in Vietnam for a long time enduring torture, broken limbs, hopelessness, depression, and starvation. He had the chance to go home because he was an admiral's son. He refused because he knew it would cause the other service men he was imprisoned with to lose faith. He stayed for his country.

:iagree: I agree with this paragraph. He deserves honor and respect. He is an amazing hero.

Well, thank you. The diversity of this board is what keeps me around. My real life friends are all pretty much like me! May I call you my internet friend?

I, too, appreciate the insight and diversity of this board, on topics from crockpots to rashes to national politics. We are an amazing group, no?

I have always respected Senator McCain for his service to our country. Four years ago I was certain that I wanted him to be my president some day. I met him when he was campaigning for a candidate in our state back then, and I had the chance to tell him as much.

Recently, though, I don't find that his voting record reflects the same values I had previously appreciated in him.

I don't know who'll I'll be voting for in November.

I voted for Reagan in 1980 -- the first time presidential election in which I was old enough to vote. And I voted for him again in 1984. I think he was a tremendous unifying factor in American politics. Even my BIL, who had always voted Democrat, voted for Reagan.

Yes. I have two uncles, both democrats who voted for Reagan. A good man is hard to find anymore. :001_smile:

for what he did for this country. It's sad that men like him (and tons before, and tons since) have given what they have to have people abuse the freedoms they have here.

I also agree that we need to WIN Iraq, not duck and run. I realize people lose their lives, and I am not happy with that, but they do volunteer to stand up and support our country, and many volunteer to return over and over again. THEY believe in what they are doing, and I support them!! We cannot let the terrorists win!!

Barrack is too young and inexperienced in diplomacy. McCain a lot of experience here. This country needs someone who can work with everyone to rebuild the situation in Iraq - and see it through. Someone experienced in diplomacy.

So could you outline McCain's vast experience in diplomacy? I didn't read his book, so I don't know. I know he was a senator from Arizona, POW, etc. But can you detail his experience for me?

No, in my OP, I asked about his policies. I haven't read much about McCain's policies, so I'd like to know what it is abou this health care and economic policies, for example, that make the better choice in the estimation of his supporters.

I've heard all the rhetoric about Obama and Clinton, but what I"m interested in is the nuts and bolts of McCain's platform, KWIM?

Well, I'd love to say that I really love John McCain, but to be honest, this year it's a lesser of two evils for me. I wouldn't have chosen McCain to be the Republican nominee. I voted for another candidate in the primary, and would have preferred several others over McCain. However, my values and philosophies are much more aligned with the Republican platform than with the Democrats, so unless a candidate veers strongly away from where their party generally stands, I'm generally going to vote with the Republicans, because they better reflect my opinions about how the country should be run, on just about every issue. So, I will vote for McCain, simply I believe he's a better choice than Obama.

I was just discussing this with my children this morning, how a lot of people really LOVE Obama, but that I don't know many people who LOVE McCain. I think that might be a big help to Obama, and that it could be a factor in helping him win this election.

Erica

I was just discussing this with my children this morning, how a lot of people really LOVE Obama, but that I don't know many people who LOVE McCain. I think that might be a big help to Obama, and that it could be a factor in helping him win this election.

Erica

I don't know. Loving a politician is a dangerous thing. Love blinds. :tongue_smilie:

Obama has no national political leadership experience.

I keep hearing this but the *fact* is a large portion of our presidents have lacked "national" political leadership.

Since Nixon resigned I think *all* of our presidents except for Bush 1 have been governors.

No, in my OP, I asked about his policies. I haven't read much about McCain's policies, so I'd like to know what it is about this health care and economic policies, for example, that make the better choice in the estimation of his supporters.

I've heard all the rhetoric about Obama and Clinton, but what I"m interested in is the nuts and bolts of McCain's platform, KWIM?

Ummm I think maybe there are no or very few died in the wool McCain supporters. My dh who is a Democrat is voting for McCain maybe, I will be writing in my cat's name if they will let me, Baby Leo Kitty also known as Snow on Sand. He has a nice platform he is sitting on it right now watching a cardinal in my yard :D He is peaceful, healthy, plus he will be the youngest candidate, and has survived a tough kittenhood, almost eaten by a coyote. It was the coyote that convinced him to be peaceful although he does enjoy an occasional sneak attack on our elderly 15 yo lady cat. He is very loving for a cat I think due in part to the coyote and loves to sleep next to my dh's German Shepherd, otherwise known as Ginger, so he has demostrated that he can cross party lines ;)

:DSorry folks, but I dont understand you are voting for lesser evils. How about voting for no evil.

If you do vote, put down who you believe in. It just sounds like one big poll game.

Sorry again.

Jeannette

If there was someone I really believed in on the national scene, I would vote for that person. However, such a person doesn't seem to exist in the presidential campaign this year.

And when I say that McCain is the lesser of two evils, I don't mean that he's actually EVIL, lol. If that were the case, I could not morally justify voting for him. I think when they use this phrase, people generally just mean that neither of the two main candidates totally fits their ideal, but they are choosing the one that fits better.

One more thing... while of course some people feel differently, I do feel that it would be a waste of a vote for me to write in some other name on the ballot. That person would have absolutely no chance of winning, and if all Republicans who weren't totally happy with McCain did that, it would just make it all the more likely that Obama would win, which would concern me greatly.

Erica

I will be writing in my cat's name if they will let me, Baby Leo Kitty also known as Snow on Sand. He has a nice platform he is sitting on it right now watching a cardinal in my yard :D He is peaceful, healthy, plus he will be the youngest candidate, and has survived a tough kittenhood, almost eaten by a coyote. It was the coyote that convinced him to be peaceful although he does enjoy an occasional sneak attack on our elderly 15 yo lady cat. He is very loving for a cat I think due in part to the coyote and loves to sleep next to my dh's German Shepherd, otherwise known as Ginger, so he has demostrated that he can cross party lines ;)

He has to be at least 35 :lol:

No, in my OP, I asked about his policies. I haven't read much about McCain's policies, so I'd like to know what it is abou this health care and economic policies, for example, that make the better choice in the estimation of his supporters.

His nuts and bolts are that he's not a democrat (that's what he says!).:lol:

I have always respected Senator McCain for his service to our country. Four years ago I was certain that I wanted him to be my president some day. I met him when he was campaigning for a candidate in our state back then, and I had the chance to tell him as much.

Recently, though, I don't find that his voting record reflects the same values I had previously appreciated in him.

I don't know who'll I'll be voting for in November.

This is exactly where I am. Up until McCain-Feingold, I would have voted for him happily.

I don't know who I'll be voting for, but I strongly suspect I'll be writing someone in.

I keep hearing this but the *fact* is a large portion of our presidents have lacked "national" political leadership.

Since Nixon resigned I think *all* of our presidents except for Bush 1 have been governors.

Govenors are typically considered more qualified because they are executives. They actually are responsible for running a branch of government. Both choices are Senators this cycle. Obviously McCain has years and years more experience than Obama.

Crissy,

What do you think has changed about his values? I am not happy with his abortion views but feel overall he is a good candidate for me.

Ok, I am not a "McCain must win or I'm going to cry" kind of supporter. I may end up voting for him. But I wanted to put in something about his experience. He has 22yrs. in the Senate with a pretty fiscally responsible voting record and has never taken an earmark. Given that government spending is out of control, much of it due to pork barrel politics, I think that is something to be commended for on his part. We need a balanced budget, if I have to have a household one, so should our government.

IMO, he is not conservative enough for me to be going door to door for him or anything but he still may get my vote.

I actually may write in Alan Keyes.