Menu

How long does your 4th grader spend on math?

smilesonly

It's so nice to hear that others of you have "spacey" math student! We shoot for 45 min/day. Some days that is all worksheet/workbooks, some days it's 15-20 min of Khan Academy videos & exercises and then deskwork (when I can tell she really needs a change of scene to focus). We do math first thing in the morning - later she would not be able to focus for that long on anything besides reading . . .

-Rose

My son is thankfully pretty focused. He spends 60-90 minutes in the morning (usually closer to 60), a few minutes on xtramath, some card games like Speed and 24 (do they count?) and reads math books/does math puzzles a few times a week. He has daily math homework which usually takes him 15-20 minutes, 30 minutes on the weekends.

So total math is somewhere between 80-120 minutes a day?

okay, ds is doing a total of 30-45mins, but that is broken up into two sessions.

with r&s, we have a longer teaching session as i make generous use of the white board.

when i'm using mm, i still do some teaching at the board, but that is usually only 5-10 mins.

since i am trying to get ds caught up, i am thinking of setting the timer for two 30 mins sessions, having him work till the ding-whether his assignment is done. is that reasonable? what if that means he is doing ten worksheets? that would be pretty crazy! he's not a game-boy, he's all about being outside and doesn't like computer, card, board or dice games.:glare:

It's so nice to hear that others of you have "spacey" math student! We shoot for 45 min/day. Some days that is all worksheet/workbooks, some days it's 15-20 min of Khan Academy videos & exercises and then deskwork (when I can tell she really needs a change of scene to focus). We do math first thing in the morning - later she would not be able to focus for that long on anything besides reading . . .

-Rose

That's pretty much what I would have said about dd2. Dd1 is a 45 minutes & done girl.