Menu

Latin is still relevant!

I was chatting with my dad last night about my plans for first grade next year. One of the subjects that will be introduced is Latin. He thought it was a great idea b/c you never know when it will be useful to know it. He visited Italy recently and had to use it. He was in a small village, had no clue where the hotel was as there were no signs, and no people were around. He started walking and ran into a Franciscan monk. The monk didn't speak English, my dad doesn't speak Italian. He thought he would give Latin a shot (fairly rudimentary at this point since he hasn't taken it since college). The monk's face lit up and they both started chatting. My dad learned where the hotel was, and both men found someone else who knew Latin.

I was chatting with my dad last night about my plans for first grade next year. One of the subjects that will be introduced is Latin. He thought it was a great idea b/c you never know when it will be useful to know it. He visited Italy recently and had to use it. He was in a small village, had no clue where the hotel was as there were no signs, and no people were around. He started walking and ran into a Franciscan monk. The monk didn't speak English, my dad doesn't speak Italian. He thought he would give Latin a shot (fairly rudimentary at this point since he hasn't taken it since college). The monk's face lit up and they both started chatting. My dad learned where the hotel was, and both men found someone else who knew Latin.

that is the best story EVER!!!!

That is awesome!! Reminds me of this book I have with letters between C.S. Lewis and, er, I forget the other guy's name...but a high ranking priest in the RCC. Anyway, the priest or whatever didn't know English and Lewis didn't know Italian but they both knew and corresponded in Latin. :D

Reminds me of this book I have with letters between C.S. Lewis and, er, I forget the other guy's name...but a high ranking priest in the RCC. Anyway, the priest or whatever didn't know English and Lewis didn't know Italian but they both knew and corresponded in Latin. :D

I believe it was Fr. Giovanni Calabria. Here's a link to the book: Latin Letters of C.S. Lewis.

So, how do you like the book?

Regards,

Kareni

Love it! What a great story. Another great reason to keep plugging along.

I bought it [Latin Letters of C.S. Lewis] awhile back and only got partway into it. I need to dig it back out again. I'm inspired to now. :D

Thanks for letting me know. I hope you'll enjoy it. I'm thinking I might buy the book for my daughter who is a Classics/Latin major at college.

Regards,

Kareni