Menu

I cannot get my yogurt to thicken. Can you help me problem solve?

So here's what I do:

1. Heat 1/2 gallon of milk on the stove until it gets to 180 degrees.

2. Cool it to 120 degrees.

3. Take out 1 cup of milk and incorporate 1/2 cup of yogurt. Every month or so I buy a cup of plain organic yogurt from TJ's.

4. Add starter mixture back in and swirl.

5. Pour mixture into Yogourmet container. Add warm water. Plug it it.

6. Incubate ~ 10 hours.

7. Refrigerate.

What am I doing wrong? TIA!

So here's what I do:

1. Heat 1/2 gallon of milk on the stove until it gets to 180 degrees.

2. Cool it to 120 degrees.

3. Take out 1 cup of milk and incorporate 1/2 cup of yogurt. Every month or so I buy a cup of plain organic yogurt from TJ's.

4. Add starter mixture back in and swirl.

5. Pour mixture into Yogourmet container. Add warm water. Plug it it.

6. Incubate ~ 10 hours.

7. Refrigerate.

What am I doing wrong? TIA!

Hmmm. When I use rennet powder it comes out thicker than when I use yogurt to culture. I love the texture, too. You might try that.

Dry milk will help.

I drain mine with a yogurt strainer. It's easy (if you have a strainer).

Some people find that scalding the milk longer makes for thicker yogurt.

I find that freeze-dried culture or my own yogurt work better than commercial yogurt as a starter.

Finally, I don't add freeze-dried culture until the temp gets down below 115.

To what are you adding warm water? To the maker, right, not the milk/culture? (My maker is an air incubator, not a water bath.)

Edited by jplain

Dry milk will help.

I drain mine with a yogurt strainer. It's easy (if you have a strainer). I line a strainer with a coffee filter. This works pretty well, but I'm reducing the amount of yogurt by SO much, I feel like I could buy organic Greek yogurt for the same price.

Some people find that scalding the milk longer makes for thicker yogurt. I did this one time, but I must have really scalded it b/c the yogurt was nasty. It definitely was thicker. Maybe I do need to heat it a bit more.

I find that freeze-dried culture or my own yogurt work better than commercial yogurt as a starter. I have used my own yogurt except for once/month when I use storebought. I felt like I needed to do this to be sure I hadn't killed off any cultures.

Finally, I don't add freeze-dried culture until the temp gets down below 115.

To what are you adding warm water? To the maker, right, not the milk/culture? (My maker is an air incubator, not a water bath.) Yes, to the maker.

So, what do you think? Thanks!

So, what do you think? Thanks!

Hmmmm. I do hear your concern about whether your yogurt might be dead. But as long as it was refrigerated, it shouldn't be. And the thing is, the commercial yogurt may not be all that robust either. My best advice is to start with freeze dried culture from a place with high turnover (Whole Foods?), and then use your yogurt as a culture for subsequent batches.

Tasting nasty: do you mean really tart? Or some other sort of nasty? Tart yogurt just means that all the lactose was digested, so you'd want to incubate for less time.

I make both yogurt and fresh mozzarella cheese because I enjoy doing it and because I prefer the taste. But I don't do it to save money, because by the time I buy high quality milk and culture, it isn't cheaper. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by jplain

Hmmmm. I do hear your concern about whether the freeze-dried culture might be dead. Thing is, the commercial yogurt may not be all that robust either. My best advice is to get freeze dried culture from a place with high turnover (Whole Foods?).

Tasting nasty: do you mean really tart? Or some other sort of nasty? Tart yogurt just means that all the lactose was digested, so you'd want to incubate for less time.

I make both yogurt and fresh mozzarella cheese because I enjoy doing it and because I prefer the taste. But I don't do it to save money, because by the time I buy high quality milk and culture, it isn't cheaper. :tongue_smilie:

I didn't know WF would carry that. Where would it be in the store? By nasty I mean nasty. The milk was just too burned. I do like making yogurt, but saving money is definitely part of the equation.

I'd just ask at customer service. The most commonly available brand is called Yogourmet, and it comes in a cardboard box that is 4 in x 5 in x 0.75 in. (Such a nerd. I just measured it.) It may be in the baking aisle, at room temp. It may be in the supplement area with probiotics, either refrigerated or at room temp. It could be stored with the dairy products. I'm sure there's one "right" place for it, but those are the places I've found it at various times in various stores. :)

Here are things to try:

1. Try cooling your milk to 107 degrees. If the milk is to warm when the yogurt starter is added, the bacteria will be killed.

2. Make sure your yogurt starter has live cultures (I don't think all organic yogurts have live cultures)

3. Add powdered milk to your milk when heating for thicker yogurt.

4. Use a higher fat content milk than you are currently using.

5. Make sure that the yogurt container is firmly sealed and that it is undisturbed during the incubation period.

Here are things to try:

1. Try cooling your milk to 107 degrees. If the milk is to warm when the yogurt starter is added, the bacteria will be killed. What happens if you cool it too much? What would be too cool?

2. Make sure your yogurt starter has live cultures (I don't think all organic yogurts have live cultures) Hadn't even thought to check. I'm surprised that it wouldn't. Why is that?

3. Add powdered milk to your milk when heating for thicker yogurt. Have done and will do again.

4. Use a higher fat content milk than you are currently using. Already using whole milk.

5. Make sure that the yogurt container is firmly sealed and that it is undisturbed during the incubation period. Pretty sure that I'm good on this. I get it ready in the late afternoon/evening and let it go through the night.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I do the crockpot way of making yogurt. The only difference is you add water to yours, I don't.

Also I allow mine an ENTIRE day in the fridge to drain through my strainer with coffee filters and the whey goes into a bowl underneath. I save the whey and use it in my cooking. The yogurt is then thicker :)

I do the crockpot way of making yogurt. The only difference is you add water to yours, I don't.

Also I allow mine an ENTIRE day in the fridge to drain through my strainer with coffee filters and the whey goes into a bowl underneath. I save the whey and use it in my cooking. The yogurt is then thicker :)

Sorry, I misspoke. I don't add water to the yogurt, but to my yogurt maker for incubation. What do you do with the whey? I use mine for soaking grains. What else can I do with it?

What would sterilizing have to do with thickening the yogurt? I use a Yogourmet incubator, not jars.

there's no bacteria in the yogurt that's not supposed to be there. If you use the maker, I guess that's different? I use ball jars and sterilize them. I've found great improvement with that addition.

I add dry milk for thicker yogurt. Sometimes I also drain it, but that's usually too much work.

I also use dry milk. I put 1 cup in for my 2 qts. I do mine in the crock pot, and it has come out thick every time (as good as the stuff you can buy). If I want it really thick, I strain it. It gets thick, but never as good as Chobani. :001_smile:

It sounds like you are adding water to the yogurt maker? I suggest rereading your manual as I've never heard of needing to do that with a yogurt maker. Mine you just put the jars in, put on the lid, and plug in. No adding water.

Aside from that I suggest you try a different plug in your house. Sometimes this can make a difference. My first couple batches turned out runny. I think the machine was running too hot. I used a different plug after that and had glorious, thick yogurt every time.

Next suggestion, if you aren't already, use a whisk when you add the yogurt starter in. Don't go crazy with it, but give a nice gentle whisking. If using commercial yogurt, do be sure it says live active cultures on the container. I have to use Dannon all natural plain as it doesn't have any additives I can't have on my diet. It works good!

I don't add anything extra to mine, just whole milk and yogurt. So it is possible to have a good, thick yogurt without adding other things. I also leave it for 24 hours so that the lactose is all gone from the yogurt.

My homemade yogurt normally comes out a little runny; I think that's normal.

However, a few days ago, I made really lovely, thick yogurt, completely by accident. This is what I did:

I dumped about 3 quarts of 2% milk in a stockpot and heated it over medium heat. I'd intended to get it to about 120 degrees, but I left the room and kind of forgot about it. When I came back, the milk was boiling a bit. Oops! I moved the pot off of the burner and waited until it had cooled to about 110 degrees; when it had, I stirred in a whole container of plain yogurt (the small, individual serving size containers) and whisked it really well. Then I poured the mixture into two half-gallon glass jars and put them in the oven, which was set to "proof." Left them there overnight and came in the next morning to absolutely wonderful yogurt.

My homemade yogurt normally comes out a little runny; I think that's normal.

However, a few days ago, I made really lovely, thick yogurt, completely by accident. This is what I did:

I dumped about 3 quarts of 2% milk in a stockpot and heated it over medium heat. I'd intended to get it to about 120 degrees, but I left the room and kind of forgot about it. When I came back, the milk was boiling a bit. Oops! I moved the pot off of the burner and waited until it had cooled to about 110 degrees; when it had, I stirred in a whole container of plain yogurt (the small, individual serving size containers) and whisked it really well. Then I poured the mixture into two half-gallon glass jars and put them in the oven, which was set to "proof." Left them there overnight and came in the next morning to absolutely wonderful yogurt.

I have found boiling to help too.

I keep a buttermilk culture, yogurt, and sourdough starter going. It's become a bit annoying trying to keep them separate because once my yogurt picked up something and became very snotty like from the sourdough LOL.

I purchase a yogurt culture from either cultures for health .com or .....now I forgot the other place :o I have only had to replace it once, because I accidentally cooked it. I always scald first, which is about 180 degrees, then cool. I don't know if there is anything to this, but the couple times I have added dry milk powder I heard about the taste change. I don't think I mind it, but they said it was good but a little weird tasting.

I started making 4-8 quarts at a time. My oven has a plug to keep the door ajar and dehydrate and I set it at 110 degrees. When it is done I strain it and keep the whey for making drinks. I usually save one or two quarts out for making smoothies/baking. I'm considering ending the life of my buttermilk because i have too many things going and drinkable yogurt is yum and just as good for baking applications as buttermilk.

If you add half and half or cream to milk is will be thicker, but the only way to get stand up on the spoon yogurt is to strain. And tzatziki is a favorite around here made with thick yogurt!

Edited by 425lisamarie

What do you do with the whey? I use mine for soaking grains. What else can I do with it?

I strain my yogurt in a colander lined with coffee filters as we like very thick yogurt. I then use the whey in place of milk/buttermilk in other recipes like muffins, biscuits, pancakes, bread, etc.

I didn't read the replies, but I would cool the yogurt down to 110 before adding the starter. You might be killing some of the strains at 120.

Also, let it go a little longer. I do mine 24 hours usually. (However, it is usually as thick as it will be by 10-12 hours, so I don't know if that would make a difference.)

You shouldn't have to add dry milk powder or strain it unless you want it really thick like greek yogurt.

Otherwise, I do mine exactly like yours, except I use a cooler with warm water instead of the yogurt maker. Mine turns out nice and thick every time.

Oh, are you using whole milk? That helps as well. (I even add some cream or half and half to mine from time to time to make it creamier, not really thicker though)