Menu

8th Grade U.S. History - looking for suggestions

I'm seriously considering focusing on U.S. History next year for 8th grade, and am open to any suggestions you may have.

We've used and loved TOG, but we need to reduce costs significantly next year. I could easily switch over to Biblioplan for a lot less money - and this may be what we end up doing. This would encompass world history along with U.S. though, and I haven't made up my mind about doing that or just studying America. Therefore, I'd also like to take a close look at courses that are focused completely on the U.S. spanning from about the early to mid 1800's to the modern world.

Some considerations I've already put on my list include BJU's American Republic (even though it starts with colonial America), and All American History II (BIP). Are there any other U.S. history courses taught from a Christian worldview that I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I used AAH in 6th grade for ds. I thought it was very good, maybe not the most exciting writing in the world, but a balanced (ie: not all rah, rah America) pov imo. I also added literature to the studies. Sonlight has great suggestions. They also have an 8th grade American history course. I didn't go with SL for the main history teaching because I don't particularly like the look of their spine and because I understood there to be a lot of writing in it, which I didn't think my 6th grader was up for. You may want to consider it for 8th grade, though.

I used AAH in 6th grade for ds. I thought it was very good, maybe not the most exciting writing in the world, but a balanced (ie: not all rah, rah America) pov imo. I also added literature to the studies. Sonlight has great suggestions. They also have an 8th grade American history course. I didn't go with SL for the main history teaching because I don't particularly like the look of their spine and because I understood there to be a lot of writing in it, which I didn't think my 6th grader was up for. You may want to consider it for 8th grade, though.

I'm assuming you mean SL's Core 100. I've looked at it, but I really don't need all the subjects that SL packages offer. We'll be doing WWS for writing, and also TWTM list for 8th grade literature. We have all the other subjects covered as well, so I just need to make a selection about history.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I don't like BJU for American history because it seems pretty biased to me in places. All American History is superior and 7th or 8th grade is just about right for it.

Steward Ship has unit studies on topics in American history that I would use for multi level work for grades 4-8.

I do know what you mean about BJU, as we used their 4th grade Heritage Studies. I just tweaked it here and there if I thought it needed it because as a whole, they do give a decent coverage of history.

Blessings,

Lucinda

What about Sonlight Core 100? It is designed for 8-9th graders. Also, Notgrass offers a middle school American History called, America the Beautiful.

I had never looked at Notgrass before. Thanks for the tip! It does look like a good option, and it looks like maybe a good breather just before heading into the intensive high school history and government courses that will be up ahead.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I am really liking TOG's spine for D, Year 4--The Complete Idiot's Guide to the 20th Cent. It talks a lot about American history alongside the World. I want to supplement with some of their choices for nonfiction, and with some of WP's Am Culture choices, too. Could you buy an old Year 4 for the history questions and teacher notes? I saw one not long ago on Homeschool Classifieds for under $50.

I also liked the looks of Notgrass' course, but I can't recall why I didn't want to use it.

There's K12, too--the second half of World Hist might be interesting, although I've heard some kids think it dry (but their parents love it--go figure! lol).

I'm seriously considering focusing on U.S. History next year for 8th grade, and am open to any suggestions you may have.

We've used and loved TOG, but we need to reduce costs significantly next year. I could easily switch over to Biblioplan for a lot less money - and this may be what we end up doing. This would encompass world history along with U.S. though, and I haven't made up my mind about doing that or just studying America. Therefore, I'd also like to take a close look at courses that are focused completely on the U.S. spanning from about the early to mid 1800's to the modern world.

Some considerations I've already put on my list include BJU's American Republic (even though it starts with colonial America), and All American History II (BIP). Are there any other U.S. history courses taught from a Christian worldview that I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Memoria Press has a Jr. High American History course using their edited version of Guerber's American history books. I haven't used it but I'm considering it for later.

Have you considered BF's high school history? You could easily use that for an 8th grader.

We are using Joy Hakim's US History in 7th grade. I'm actually using it along with STOW vol 4 (and many other resources).

Thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at BF, but somehow it just didn't jive for me. I'm thinking it would be a really great plan if I'd gotten familiar with it and used it already, but for 8th grade only it seems like too many components to get familiar with.

Your choices for 7th grade are what we would use with Biblioplan if we end up going that route. The only other thing we'd add to it would be Streams of Civilization 2.

Blessings,

Lucinda

BJU U.S. History 11th grade text

fine for an 8th grader

Hmmmm....I'll have to pop over to that site and take a gander. Thanks for the tip!

I am really liking TOG's spine for D, Year 4--The Complete Idiot's Guide to the 20th Cent. It talks a lot about American history alongside the World. I want to supplement with some of their choices for nonfiction, and with some of WP's Am Culture choices, too. Could you buy an old Year 4 for the history questions and teacher notes? I saw one not long ago on Homeschool Classifieds for under $50.

I also liked the looks of Notgrass' course, but I can't recall why I didn't want to use it.

There's K12, too--the second half of World Hist might be interesting, although I've heard some kids think it dry (but their parents love it--go figure! lol).

The more I look into this, the more I'm pulling away from the concept of using a lot of books for history next year. That may be one reason that the Notgrass course is pulling at my heart strings. I have really loved TOG, but I think I need to take a break from teaching history this way. If we end up hs'ing through high school (instead of private school), then I'll have to get back into it. I just need a break, so although your suggestion is really good, I think I'm going to keep looking for a program that is either textbook driven or just uses fewer pieces. I know this is a big shift from what I've been doing, but it seems like what we need next year.

For 8th grade I want U.S. History to be a strong focus, but I am recognizing a need to put more emphasis on the other subjects than I have been. So I've got to strike a good balance next year or dd just won't be ready for high school on time.

I'm not sure how K12 works, so I'll take a look at that too. But on the other hand, I don't want dd to get bored next year either. As to Notgrass, I love the way it is presented in that it pulls together the history, important figures, landmarks, daily life as well as God's wonders all packaged together in 3 main books coupled together with the maps, timeline and review worksheets. Not only is this appealing to me, but the reviews are good too. I'm going to have to do some in-depth reading of the text before making my final decision though, and there are all of these other suggestions to check out as well.

:lol:

Memoria Press has a Jr. High American History course using their edited version of Guerber's American history books. I haven't used it but I'm considering it for later.

Thanks for the tip, silliness7. I will go to MP's site and take a look. I've never thought of looking there for some reason.

Thanks everyone!

Lucinda

We used BJU's 8th grade text for history last year. We only did the 2nd half (Chapter 17 and on). If you use the Activity Manual along with the main text, there is plenty of material for a whole school year.

Take a look at this post/thread for more specific info:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245260

HTH!

Hi Jetta,

Thank you so much for sharing this. After reading your other post (from your link), I am quite interested in BJU!

I think I now have it narrowed down to three options: Biblioplan, Notgrass and BJU. That is, unless someone else throws me a suggestion I can't resist adding to the list of finalists. I do know that ultimately I'm going to have to go to the HS book store and get up close and personal with these in order to make a final decision.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'll share our experiences with Christian textbooks. Dd used BJU's 8th grade American history last year. She was a little annoyed by the authors' interjecting Christian though where it didn't seem appropriate, but she did like it better than Hakim that she started the year with in SL Core 100. I had dd finish out many of SL's literature books, but I wasn't happy with it and won't use SL again.

We are beginning a 4 year cycle for high school and I wanted her to read a Christian text and secular text, so I got Glencoe and BJU. She seemed even more annoyed with BJU this year than last. She really likes the Glencoe book. I had an A Beka high school world history book. I gave it to her to compare with BJU. She feels the A Beka book covered more of just actual history and less of the Christian thought where it didn't make sense.

It's finally an age where you have LOTS of good choices! Guerber doesn't go through modern btw. Like the others people mentioned, though I will say I sold off our AAH2 text. We just didn't like the writing. But to each his own. It definitely has a lot of virtues. The BJU8 and 11 really have tremendous workbooks. The 8 is of course a little more general in scope, but then you aren't dragged through all the details of the 11 that your dd may or may not be ready to appreciate. But I agree either one can work. The 11 workbook has a lot more analysis (compare this event with that, blah blah), which might be really great if you have a serious history buff.

Streams is so dry, I'm cringing at the thought. But apparently you've seen it and like it?

That 20th Century for Idiots book is interesting. Dd didn't like it right off the bat, but she's not much of a non-fiction reader anyway. It was pretty straightforward.

Ok, I'll just say this, and you see what you think. I think you should think long-term about this and figure out what spine you're going to want to use the NEXT time you come through. If you do american in 8th with the BJU 11 (which absolutely would be appropriate for some kids, history buffs, kids who would enjoy doing AP US History later), then you're relegated to that AP level the next time through. Not relegated, but you get what I mean. You're gonna have to up the ante again. If you do the BJU8, which is more general and age-appropriate, you can flesh it out with library resources and still have a nice time. You'd have to spend a lot more TIME to get the BJU11 done in a year with that student than to do the BJU8. And then, if you save the BJU11 for later, you can do the MFW course and spread it over two years.

I'm saying I don't think history needs are all the same at this age. Kids don't want to spend the same amount of time or have the same level of interest. It's ok to get honest about that and see where this is headed.

Now, just to diverge, the coolest, coolest spine I've found for modern at this precocious junior higher level is the DK Story of America. http://www.amazon.com/Story-America-DK-Publishing/dp/0789489031/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319988655&sr=1-1 Not a christian text obviously, but it coordinates well to the BJU11. Lots of fodder for discussion there, and lots of visual. It engages ME, and it's hard to get a more picky, history-hater.

What about using TOG as a topical schedule but cutting way back on the readings and assignments?

Or since it's 8th grade you could do a high speed survey course using Thinking Company lectures and biographies and youth fiction.

I have been collecting up American Heritage Illustrated History of the United States volumes to complement the Hakim I find at library sales.

Thanks for all the great tips and recommendations everyone! This has helped me so much. I'm very, very thankful for this thread. Please see my replies below in green bold.

Lucinda ~

I just ran across this and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.classicalhistorian.com/

Dina :001_smile:

Thank you, Dina. I've never seen or heard about this before. I'll take a look at it, but I am leaning more and more towards a totally U.S. history focused course. We will be using WWS next year too, so the writing part in Take a Stand program wouldn't be useful to us. But gosh, there's getting to be more and more really great curriculum choices out there and this one looks like a decent option for those using the Classical approach.

We will most likely be putting dd in a private school for high school, but if that doesn't work out I am already planning to use MFW for that age level. So what I'm looking for now is a good course to use just for 8th grade history, and covering the time period I stated in my op.

It's finally an age where you have LOTS of good choices! Guerber doesn't go through modern btw. Like the others people mentioned, though I will say I sold off our AAH2 text. We just didn't like the writing. But to each his own. It definitely has a lot of virtues. Interesting that I keep finding this out! Hmmm..... The BJU8 and 11 really have tremendous workbooks. The 8 is of course a little more general in scope, but then you aren't dragged through all the details of the 11 that your dd may or may not be ready to appreciate. But I agree either one can work. The 11 workbook has a lot more analysis (compare this event with that, blah blah), which might be really great if you have a serious history buff. I think the 8th grade level would be more in line with what I want to use next year.

Streams is so dry, I'm cringing at the thought. But apparently you've seen it and like it? No, not really. I was just going by the book list recommendation and hadn't looked at it yet. I am going to have to see a book in person I think before making the final choice.

That 20th Century for Idiots book is interesting. Dd didn't like it right off the bat, but she's not much of a non-fiction reader anyway. It was pretty straightforward. The book may be a good one, but I cringe at the title every time I see it - LOL!

Ok, I'll just say this, and you see what you think. I think you should think long-term about this and figure out what spine you're going to want to use the NEXT time you come through. If you do american in 8th with the BJU 11 (which absolutely would be appropriate for some kids, history buffs, kids who would enjoy doing AP US History later), then you're relegated to that AP level the next time through. Not relegated, but you get what I mean. You're gonna have to up the ante again. If you do the BJU8, which is more general and age-appropriate, you can flesh it out with library resources and still have a nice time. You'd have to spend a lot more TIME to get the BJU11 done in a year with that student than to do the BJU8. And then, if you save the BJU11 for later, you can do the MFW course and spread it over two years.

I'm saying I don't think history needs are all the same at this age. Kids don't want to spend the same amount of time or have the same level of interest. It's ok to get honest about that and see where this is headed.

Good points! Like I said to Dina, above, if we hs during high school I plan to use MFW. So I think the 8th grade level of BJU would definitely be an option for next year and then save the higher level history course for rhetoric level. Whether she's hs'd or goes to private school, I think a really good U.S. History course in 8th grade would prepare her for more intense study later on.

Now, just to diverge, the coolest, coolest spine I've found for modern at this precocious junior higher level is the DK Story of America. http://www.amazon.com/Story-America-DK-Publishing/dp/0789489031/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319988655&sr=1-1 Not a christian text obviously, but it coordinates well to the BJU11. Lots of fodder for discussion there, and lots of visual. It engages ME, and it's hard to get a more picky, history-hater. Oooooh! I like this one too! Thanks for recommending it.

What about using TOG as a topical schedule but cutting way back on the readings and assignments?

Or since it's 8th grade you could do a high speed survey course using Thinking Company lectures and biographies and youth fiction.

Thank you for the suggestion. I love TOG, but have made a firm decision not to use it due to our substantially reduced income. I was able to work it out for three years by being very careful and planning ahead, getting mostly used books by the unit as I could afford to, but we can no longer afford it. So unless we are the recipients of a big windfall, I'm going to use other curriculum. As it is, I'm going to have to start saving now for whatever we do for high school.

I have been collecting up American Heritage Illustrated History of the United States volumes to complement the Hakim I find at library sales. That is a great idea! I'll have to take a look at that series too.

Blessings,

Lucinda