Menu

Best workbook-style grammar

EmmaNZ

I'm looking for grammar for grade 2/3. Could you please help me compile a list of options?

I just want good, solid grammar. FLL is great, but my ds doesn't thrive with oral work - he needs to be kept busy. I think the act of writing helps him to retain information. The more independent the better.

My guys have had good success doing Abeka grammar independently. I was in the same boat as you; we like FLL, but my boys need more practice to make it all stick. Abeka has lots and lots of practice in grammar and mechanics. We used it in conjuction with FLL 2 and 3. This year it is just Abeka workbooks (3rd and 4th grade) for grammar (no FLL) for the older two, so that I have more time to give to my third boy and his turn with FLL 1.

Edited by Zoo Keeper

Our boys (2nd & 3rd grade) love workbooks, and we use all the workbooks from the Growing w/ Grammar Company. There have been several times they have started their day with the 'spiral' books on their own. Gotta love that!

We just started the CLE workbooks for other subjects, and they asked to get more of the Light Units. The directions are very easy for them to follow. I have heard great things about CLE Language Arts.

I wish our boys loved the FLL and WWE more, but they don't, so we just add them in when we can.

I have a 1st grader using CLE LA and a 4th grader using Growing with Grammar. We like both of them. CLE is religious (we aren't so we just skip over those parts). It is thorough and easy for my DD to understand. Growing with Grammar is secular, also thorough and easy for my son to understand and complete. GWG is just grammar while CLE also includes spelling and some writing (but not a complete writing program). You could easily skip over the parts you don't need in CLE and still have plenty left.

we use Growing with Grammar and also FLL, they they compliment each other well

That's interesting to hear. Dd 8yo is doing GWG 3 and is doing "well" but I'm not sure how much she is retaining. It's easy for her to look at the text and figure out what is required without committing much to memory so it doesn't translate to other work. I've recently wondered about doing FLL 2 with dd 8yo and 6yo together (partially because I've never tried FLL and there is less financial investment for level 2 than 3).

It's hardly mentioned here, but we really like Voyages on English 3. We do it orally, and ds really enjoys the format and is learning well with it. I would say only use the student textbook. You can get it cheaper of you buy it used.

Just remember that even though it is independent, you may want to talk through the lessons with them so they understand the concepts and aren't just copying the examples. I got to test 2 before I realized ds didn't even understand simple things like verb, noun, subject! :)

If you really want them to know grammar, stick with FLL or something where you teach it. I wish sorely that I had. R&S or BJU or ABeka or, for the truely hands-on, Winston. Voyages is supposed to be excellent as well, but I have no experience with it.

GWG produced zero retention here. We used GWG3-5. We are trying Easy Grammar Plus for my older 2, but I do not like it as the explanations are too vague and too few. Just my $.02

If you really want them to know grammar, stick with FLL or something where you teach it.

Even though my dc use GWG very independently, I still sit with them and make sure they 'get it' thoroughly. I've been working w/ dd8 on lessons 3.15 & 3.16 for the last 30 min. Before yesterday she had not learned principal parts of regular/irregular verbs and participles. We've been going over past, present & future participles for the last 2 days. I would not hand over a workbook to my dc to learn this on her own. Grammar is like math in so many ways. It is a conversation. But an open & go workbook w/ user-friendly instructions sure makes the job easier for mom. Just a thought.

FLL killed me slowly. :)

Even though my dc use GWG very independently, I still sit with them and make sure they 'get it' thoroughly. I've been working w/ dd8 on lessons 3.15 & 3.16 for the last 30 min. Before yesterday she had not learned principal parts of regular/irregular verbs and participles. We've been going over past, present & future participles for the last 2 days. I would not hand over a workbook to my dc to learn this on her own. Grammar is like math in so many ways. It is a conversation. But an open & go workbook w/ user-friendly instructions sure makes the job easier for mom. Just a thought.

FLL killed me slowly. :)

Does GWG teach diagramming?

Throwing out some other ideas. I have not seen all of them, but I'm in search of the same thing.

It's hardly mentioned here, but we really like Voyages on English 3. We do it orally, and ds really enjoys the format and is learning well with it. I would say only use the student textbook. You can get it cheaper of you buy it used.

I think Exercises in English can be used as a stand alone workbook also.

Just remembered that there are free printable (PDF) workbooks here: Scott Foresman Online Grammar and Writing Handbooks.

There is also this free one by McGraw Hill.

I have also heard good things about Ridgewood Grammar (by EPS, the Explode the Code company) There is always Evan Moor or Spectrum.

I'm using Easy Grammar with my 3rd grader and I'm really liking it. I like the simple and few explanations :lol:

Anything more wordy and my kiddo would be lost in daydream world. His constant interruption is "okay okay I got it" and he usually does.

I like it because it's visually clean (no over stimulation) and has just enough practice that he's learning but not getting bored with it.