Menu

Ok, bibliophile moms & dads, if the book fairy brought you 10 books tonight...

what would they be?

These are books for *you* (not spouses, significant others, children, or anyone else). Just you.

I'd be thrilled if the book fairy gave me these books:

:bigear:

:lurk5:

Honestly today I would just cry if someone brought me more books. :(

I had to dismantle the library to give my son a new bedroom (long story). I was able to keep about half of it. I have over 30 boxes of books in my upstairs hallway and stacks of books that I don't have boxes for. I have Nooooo Idea what I am going to do with these books! Dh says they are too heavy for the attic (I agree) so for this week, in the hallway they sit.

I'll play! I don't think I've read any of your choices, but I love finding new books to read so I'll have to check them out after this.

My top 10 for today

1. Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

2. The Ever-Blooming Flower Garden: A Blueprint for Continuous Color by Lee Schneller

3. Remarkable Creatures: A Novel by Tracy Chevalier

4. The Art of Steampunk: Extraordinary Devices and Ingenious Contraptions from the Leading Artists of the Steampunk Movement by Art Donovan

5. Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman

6. T-Minus: The Race to the Moon by Jim Ottoviani

7. Material World: A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel

8. The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels by Patrick O'Brian (please let this count as one!)

9. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

10. The 13 Clocks by James Thurber

Now I should either send this to my husband, or schedule a library trip fro tomorrow :D

Honestly today I would just cry if someone brought me more books. :(

I had to dismantle the library to give my son a new bedroom (long story). I was able to keep about half of it. I have over 30 boxes of books in my upstairs hallway and stacks of books that I don't have boxes for. I have Nooooo Idea what I am going to do with these books! Dh says they are too heavy for the attic (I agree) so for this week, in the hallway they sit.

How about a full wall bookcase in the hallway? We've never had the room to do that, but my parents had a wide upstairs hallway with bookcases down the length of it, and I loved looking at the books every time I walked through there.

1. Der Pianist: Mein Wunderbares Uberleben by Wladislaw Szpilman
  2. Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson
  3. Love Poems by Pedro Salinas: My Voice Because of You and Letter Poems to Katherine by Pedro Salinas
  4. A Month in the Country by J. L. Carr
  5. Book Lust to Go: Recommended Reading for Travelers, Vagabonds, and Dreamers by Nancy Pearl
  6. Commander of the Faithful: The Life and Times of Emir Abd El-Kader by John W. Kiser
  7. The Quran: A New Translation by Tarif Khalidi
  8. Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: A History With Documents by Charles D. Smith
  9. The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (The Schocken Bible, Volume I) by Everett Fox
  10. Last Tales by Isak Dinesen

I rarely buy books because we've got a small house and an awesome library but I could come up with ten books if I was forced too. :001_smile:

1. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

2. The Big Sleep by Ramond Chandler

3. Collected Works of Sherlock Holmes

4. Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey

5. - 10. Jane Austen books

How about a full wall bookcase in the hallway? We've never had the room to do that, but my parents had a wide upstairs hallway with bookcases down the length of it, and I loved looking at the books every time I walked through there.

I would love that so much, but alas, narrow hallway and dh hates anything in the hall. I would be fine with a narrower hall :D and lots of room for my books.

I think he would cry if I bought any more bookcases LOL we have 36 feet of Billy Bookcases upstairs as it is. :D

2. The Ever-Blooming Flower Garden: A Blueprint for Continuous Color by Lee Schneller

4. The Art of Steampunk: Extraordinary Devices and Ingenious Contraptions from the Leading Artists of the Steampunk Movement by Art Donovan

7. Material World: A Global Family Portrait by Peter Menzel

Now I should either send this to my husband, or schedule a library trip fro tomorrow :D

Ooh, the flower garden one is a good idea. Now I would just need to acquire a green thumb along w/ the book. I guess a book fairy could oblige, don't you think...?

Steampunk. If you haven't read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder, you might want to take a peek. (I have the sequel on my list.) Do you have any steampunk faves to recommend?

Material World is a fabulously interesting book. Really neat.

I agree -- send it to your dh or visit the library. I rarely buy books for myself (or even ask for them as gifts). I usually don't reread books, so I try to find them at the library. But, most of the ones I've listed aren't available at our library & I don't think I'm likely to ever get them through PaperbackSwap either. So, I was just daydreaming (and putting a list together for my dh ;)) & thought it would be fun to see everyone's choices. I might get a few more ideas too. :D

Ooh. Book fairies aren't limited by practicalities are they? So I think my book fairy would bring these books, which I'll never be able to justify, for me to drool over:

Austentatious Crochet (Hey, one day I'll learn to crochet!)

A collection of articles on Polish heraldry

Another thing on Polish heraldry

Polish Folk Embroidery

A book on Jewish costume

Book featuring the most fabulous sleeves in history

And these too:

A seaweed cookbook

A tempeh cookbook

*The* tablet-weaving book

A Polish cultural history book

Ahhhh. Books...

Hmm. I've put that steampunk book on my list for dh. He'd probably never read it, but he'd like not reading it. And it is tradition to buy him books he won't read. :P

Edited by Rosie_0801

Ooh, the flower garden one is a good idea. Now I would just need to acquire a green thumb along w/ the book. I guess a book fairy could oblige, don't you think...?

I could actually use a green thumb fairy too. But I do love to dream... :D

Steampunk. If you haven't read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder, you might want to take a peek. (I have the sequel on my list.) Do you have any steampunk faves to recommend?

I saw a wonderful cabaret play based on The Five Fists of Science a few years back, which was my first experience with steampunk. I don't have much to recommend as I haven't read a lot in the genre, but I will definitely check out the ones you've mentioned. It's awesome to find a recommendation here since I don't have any steampunk friends IRL (except maybe DH).

Oh, I did see that you have a Walter Moers book on your list. The City of Dreaming Books would have been my #11.

I would love that so much, but alas, narrow hallway and dh hates anything in the hall. I would be fine with a narrower hall :D and lots of room for my books.

I think he would cry if I bought any more bookcases LOL we have 36 feet of Billy Bookcases upstairs as it is. :D

We have full Billy bookcases too, but not 36 feet (yet :lol:).

Books just for me? Like, not homeschooling books?

It's been a long time since I asked for anything just for me....

To complete some of my collections I would need:

Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz by J.K Rowlings

Harry Potter und der Heiligtuemer des Todes by J.K. Rowlings

The History of the Medieval World by Susan Wise Bauer

(Then save two spots for the rest of the series when she finishes.)

Good Eats 2: The Middle Years by Alton Brown

Good Eats 3: The Later Years by Alton Brown

I was collecting Margaret Barker (the ancient texts scholar) when I could find inexpensive copies of her work, but I'm not sure my mind is nimble enough to keep up anymore...

And one LDS work, to complete my set (I have the other three from the series): The Life and Teachings of the New Testament Apostles: From the Day of the Pentecost to the Apocalypse by Richard Neitzel Holzapfel and Thomas A. Wayment

I like books on politics, religion, economics and leadership. Strange thing is since dd was born I have been picking up more classics that I never read partly because I want to get a feel for some of them before dd gets into reading them. I hadn't read any fiction in a long time before I started reading some of the classics, but I have really enjoyed most of the classics I have read recently. Since Borders has gone out of business I am working my way through books that I picked up from them, so I still have several that are unread. I would have a very difficult time just coming up with 10.

Nup! You can have 9 more! If you say you want Michel de Montaigne's writings, I might come to Tassie and beat you up.

Rosie

Ooh, is that a challenge?

Nah, he isn't at the top of my list. I feel that some books are more quotable than readable. But what do I know?

I'd like to get a nice set of the complete works of Thomas Hardy (yeah, I know that's more than 9 books, but some aren't very thick so I might get away with it).

Edited by Hotdrink
the books weren't think but the poster was thick

I'd like to get a nice set of the complete works of Thomas Hardy (yeah, I know that's more than 9 books, but some aren't very think so I might get away with it).

I think book fairies are easy to trick. So, you could probably get away with it. ;):lol:

Since this will bump the thread for the morning crowd, please chime in with your lists too. Book fairies work night & day.... :D

:lurk5:

Could the book fairy surprise me with things that don't exist? I'd like a new Sara Foster cookbook. Or things that I don't know what they are? Surely there's three perfect novels that I'm going to love. Can she just bring those? And a book about homeschooling that doesn't bore or annoy me. And one nonfiction history book and one science that will thrill me. And a perfect math book for me to start relearning algebra for the future.

A book I know I want is The Bone House by Stephen Lawhead. There are a lot of books I want to read but not necessarily own. Does this mean that I couldn't go into my library store or Goodwill and come out with a handful of books? Absolutely not. :)

1. Melissa's Marvelous Meatless Meals...everyday recipes that are free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar byMelissa Pickell

2. Winter Harvest Cookbook: How to Select and Prepare Fresh Seasonal Produce All Winter Long by Lane Morgan

3. The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome by Susan Wise Bauer

4. The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade by Susan Wise Bauer

5. L'élégance du hérisson by Muriel Barbery

6. Papercrafts for Christmas: Making Cards and Decorations by Judy

Balchin

7. Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings

8. The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig (Won't be released until February, so the book fairy would have to be magic!)

9. Don't Sing at the Table: Life Lessons from My Grandmothers by Adriana Trigiani

10. Horta: Art Nouveau to Modernism published by Henry N. Abrams

I would like the book fairy to bring me the following:

1. Complete Works of Oscar Wilde

2. A Game of Thrones: A Song of Fire and Ice - George R.R. Martin

3. Lionhart - Sharon Kay Penman

4. The Pilgrim's Regress - C.S. Lewis

5. The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun - J.R.R. Tolkien

6. All New Square Foot Gardening - Mel Bartholomew

7. The Gun Seller - Hugh Laurie

8. Payne's Gray - Magne Furuholmen

9. Watership Down - Richard Adams

10. The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Great thread! I love seeing what books other people are listing. :001_smile:

Have had no time to really read and look through all the posts. I absolutely love threads like this. Stacia, thank you for starting it. :D

1. Bel Canto

2. Five Quarters of the Orange

3. The Matchmaker of Perigord

4. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

5. The Shadow of the Wind

6. Fair Game

7. The Thirteenth Tale

8. The Likeness

9. Blood Feud

10. Wench

I have LOTS and LOTS of books on various wish lists. Fiction alone is 4 pages long. I also have some non-fiction, not so much self-help. As well as some fun style and fashion books. :D

Can't wait to soon read all the other posts. :)

I would like hardback copies of the 7 Outlander books,

Verra nice, I'll take those as well. (and now I am thinking I may need a Jamie and Claire re-read, at least Outlander) I dearly love those books.

I would also love for her deliver The Rhythm of the Home by Amanda Blake Soule, Sew Liberated by Meg McEltee and she can surprise with the last! :)

Non-Fiction Books I Would Love:

1. The Shadow Market by the same author of Geography of Bliss (one of my all-time favorites)

2. Getting Things Done

3. How to Live

4. The Emperor of all Maladies

5. The Invisible Gorilla

6. Can't mention this one ... scared to mention it on a public forum. Not inappropriate or anything like that. Not political either. Think religious. Think of a certain religion that attracts celebrities. Okay, now you know ...

Health/Fitness Books I Would Love:

1. The Botany of Desire

2. Ayurveda Secrets of Healing

3. Perfect Health

4. Why We Get Fat

5. The 17 Day Diet

6. The Guru in You

7. The Edgar Cayce Remedies

8. Better Bones, Better Body

9. Conscious Eating

10. Power Healing

I have too many health books already and too little time to read them ...

1) Inheritance (The Eragon Series) by Christopher Paolini

2) The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

3) The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

4) Bartimaeus: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud

5) Moral Lives of Animals

6) Moral Landscape

7) Incognito

8) Annoying

9) House of Wisdom

10) Price of Everything

I realize that technically four of the books are children's books but they are parts of sets and I can't stand to have partial sets. The rest are the next six books on my BOMC list. I have another 20 of so on my Amazon wish list.

Edited by KidsHappen

I personally believe that all available wallspace should be covered with booksshelves. I am running out of walls though. Once the teens leave home I will have an empty office which will promptly be turned into a reading roon but that's about it. After that there will be nowhere else to put book shelves. Luckily, I just got a Kindle so I can start collecting cooks there. :D

Edited by KidsHappen

• 2 weeks later...

I have shelves overflowing with books that I have yet to read, but I'm sure I could come up with a few titles. Does the book fairy have an in with the housecleaning fairy? I'd trade a few book choices for a few waves of the housecleaning fairy's wand.

Regards,

Kareni

I have shelves overflowing with books that I have yet to read, but I'm sure I could come up with a few titles. Does the book fairy have an in with the housecleaning fairy? I'd trade a few book choices for a few waves of the housecleaning fairy's wand.

Regards,

Kareni

If the housecleaning fairy waved her wand in my house, I wouldn't need the book fairy because I would have immediately found at least 10 books I didn't know about.

I just realized all of my books on my Amazon wish list are all kid related. :lol:

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Poems by Eugene Field

The complete works of Charles Dickens

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I loaned my copy to a relative and never got it back)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Water for Elephants

The Art of Racing in the Rain

Jane Eyre

Little Lord Fauntleroy

Sherlock Holmes

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

I just finished reading this one. :thumbup:

My dc & I are also listening to Neil Gaiman's lovely voice reading the entire work: http://mousecircus.com/videotour2.aspx?VideoID=1

For those that are following NPR's back-seat book club, here's is today's transcript & audio from the interview w/ Neil Gaiman: http://www.npr.org/2011/10/28/141766112/kids-book-club-a-graveyard-tour-with-neil-gaiman