Menu

Adopting 2 babies and need HELP!

We were on track with homeschooling over here, and are about to have a MAJOR disruption. I need the hive's help.

My oldest daughter Lilly, 4, loves her school work. We were doing a smattering of all kinds of stuff, trying a little bit of a few currics, and she is now showing all the signs that she wants to learn to read. I think she is ready.

My youngest daughter Daisy, 2, loves to do tot activites while sissy learns.

We have just accepted the referrals for two unrelated babies in Ethiopia and will be bringing them home in the spring, God willing. By that time, baby boy will be 7 months and baby girl will be about a year. People keep assuming that I will now drop my homeschooling desires and just send Lilly to school, since I will be so busy. I do not agree with this, but I am realistic about my expectations in so far as how much time I will have for planning activities and curriculum.

I have never been one for all-in-ones like Sonlight, etc, because as a former teacher I really enjoy putting my own creations together from all over the place. However, I now need to give the all-in-ones some consideration.

For this year, I need to find a program with lesson plans built in, etc. One that even a family mamber may be able to pick up on with the girls while I take the TWO trips to Africa required to bring home my babies. I also want to get Lilly started with reading. I am thinking that when reading about attachment disorder and how much work I am going to have on my hands with these new babies, I need a curriculum that basically drives itself. The exact opposite of how I like things.

So, can anyone help me? I need suggestions. :)

Here's our family website, in case you want to follow along with our crazy little adventure. www.roepnack.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Missy

We were on track with homeschooling over here, and are about to have a MAJOR disruption. I need the hive's help.

My oldest daughter Lilly, 4, loves her school work. We were doing a smattering of all kinds of stuff, trying a little bit of a few currics, and she is now showing all the signs that she wants to learn to read. I think she is ready.

My youngest daughter Daisy, 2, loves to do tot activites while sissy learns.

We have just accepted the referrals for two unrelated babies in Ethiopia and will be bringing them home in the spring, God willing. By that time, baby boy will be 7 months and baby girl will be about a year. People keep assuming that I will now drop my homeschooling desires and just send Lilly to school, since I will be so busy. I do not agree with this, but I am realistic about my expectations in so far as how much time I will have for planning activities and curriculum.

I have never been one for all-in-ones like Sonlight, etc, because as a former teacher I really enjoy putting my own creations together from all over the place. However, I now need to give the all-in-ones some consideration.

For this year, I need to find a program with lesson plans built in, etc. One that even a family mamber may be able to pick up on with the girls while I take the TWO trips to Africa required to bring home my babies. I also want to get Lilly started with reading. I am thinking that when reading about attachment disorder and how much work I am going to have on my hands with these new babies, I need a curriculum that basically drives itself. The exact opposite of how I like things.

So, can anyone help me? I need suggestions. :)

Here's our family website, in case you want to follow along with our crazy little adventure. www.roepnack.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Missy

I'd focus on reading and math, with some fun read-alouds when you can get to them. Lily is very young. When does she turn 5? Honestly, I wouldn't buy Sonlight or anything like that. Pick a phonics program you like, a math program you like, and check out lots of library books. There are no K/1 math nor phonics programs that will "drive themselves" -- kids that little need to be taught by a teacher. But I do think you can even relax about having any expectations for her academically. Really, she could just play for the next year and she'd be fine (IMO).

If you want to help her learn letters and sounds, Leap Frog's Letter Factory DVD is a fun way to do that -- that that *is* something she can watch/learn on her own.

Congratulations on the adoptions of your new babies!

I don't have any profound advice on what curriculum to use. I think as you adjust to being a mother of four you will need to really lower your expectations for a time. Your daughter is super young and you have lots of time. Choose something simple for phonics/reading instruction and a few other basics. Have a lot of books to snuggle on the couch with:grouphug:

We went from 2 to 4 kids through adoption 4 years ago (from Ethiopia as well). Our kids were all older, but it was a very hard (though wonderful time). I would give yourself a few months time of not making plans and just getting through the day. I bet by 6 months you will have found a new equilibrium and will be able to find time to do what you need. We did send our kids to public schools after the adoption for a year or two because I wanted them to have ESL help, but they were 5 and 6 and I was in graduate school at the time. Congratulations!!

As an adoptive parent myself, I am thrilled that you are going on this path.

When I had littles at home (oldest was 5, then 2.5, then a baby who was premature and has Down syndrome), I needed something open and go. I chose Heart of Dakota Little Hearts for His Glory. If you PM me, I have some ideas of how to buy materials at a lower cost, if you decide you are interested in this program.

Blessings,

Gwen

Your oldest is 4. I would concentrate on reading aloud and lots of playtime that is educational. Digging in the garden, playing with different types of blocks, sorting games, helping in the kitchen. Really, I wouldn't worry a lot about anything else. There is plenty of time for academics and formal learning. Next fall you could begin a reading program ala OPGTR and maybe some Miquon math sheets and you will still be ahead of the game. Right now is for having fun with a purpose.

Good luck with your adoption. I know they can be difficult.

I'll vote for dropping formal curricula for a year. :)

Except, possibly, teaching the 4 yo to read. That takes about 20 min a day to do a nice phonics program. Another 20+ min a day for reading aloud, but I am sure you already do that. It's only needed now if she's a precocious learner and really ready to read. Many kids are ready around age 5.

Everything else can be shelved until your oldest is entering 1st grade.

IMHO.

I'd enjoy all your excitement in the coming year, play a lot, make messes, run outside, etc.

The *last* thing I'd do would be to get a boxed curriculum with a schedule to feel guilty about not keeping.

Read TWTM's chapters about preK-K. They'll reassure you.

At that very young age, you can rest assured that you don't need an all-in-one curriculum. As another poster suggested, I would just choose a phonics program for reading, and a math program.

My faves for that stage were: LLATL Blue (lots of cute cut-n-paste activities, plus it has its own little readers), and Saxon K math. Now, the Saxon math needs you to have a bunch of manipulatives, but that's why we really liked it. There are many other programs out there that require less "stuff" and are just as good.

The easy part for you about these two programs is that they are made to be easy to use. They have the lesson plans laid out for you already. Another parent or caregiver could easily pick up the books and do the lessons with your oldest dd.

The only other thing I would do is go to the library frequently, check out lots and lots of good picture books, both fiction and non-fiction and read them aloud to both of your children. The youngest will benefit from the reading, but doesn't need any kind of structured program.

I have no experience whatsoever with adoption, so no advice there. Good luck with the process, and I hope your new additions bring you blessings. :001_smile:

we did this in March. My big kids were newly 6 and 4 and our babies were 10 months and 20 months. Honestly, it's a blur. We basically just survived. But I'm so glad my oldest wasn't in school. We really needed that time to get to know one another. I actually did not have a single minute of overlapping nap time until September. The baby slept 9-11, the toddler 11-1, the 4 yr old 1-2:30 and the baby again 2:30-4:30. It was INSANE!!!

My tips:

-School 6 days a week for 30 minutes, all year long. This way you can accomplish what a more typical family will do in a Aug-May 4-day calendar. You and your DD both have the routine of doing something every day, and it's just more manageable than trying to do 1 1/2 hours. Add to this time read-alouds when you can. (Now, depending on if your 20 month old is walking you might have more time than 30 minutes but not for long).

-Don't buy a boxed curriculum. You won't use it and it will make you depressed to see all the stuff you don't really have time for. I recommend Ordinary Parents Guide for Teaching Reading--and MAYBE five in a row if you're feeling ambitious. I don't think math is necessary for a bright five year old. If you teach her to count, she'll be able to go straight into Saxon 1 or Singapore 1 or whatever without a K program. OPGTR will be perfect for a relative to pick up while you are gone.

-Do double time now. If you think you need science, or history, or any extras for kinder, do them now. If your babies have similar eating and sleeping problems, or developmental delays as most institutionalized kids, you will not be able to do anything except eat, sleep, and play for a long while (a few months or more). Your primary goal when the babies come home should be PLAY and if it will help you to focus on play, double up on your schoolwork now, so you can rest easy knowing she can read when you go to Africa.

-Remember: You are building a family. The lessons your 4 kids will learn this year are much more important than whether they are fluent readers at age 5. This was hard for me (as I typically am prone to acceleration), but I preached it to myself and most days I believe it!

Many happy congratulations!! We have been so blessed with these little ones--I know y'all will be too.

Edited by brett_ashley

All of these posts are so encouraging and helpful. I love homeschool mommies. :)

Yes, I would love any adoptive mommies from anywhere to friend me on here, I am still trying to figure out how...or you can google connect me on the blog. I am going to need constant reminders not to panic about everyone (family, friends, lady at groceery store) telling me to "get that kid in preschool" BOOOOO! I can do this!

Anyways. Message me or friend me, or hit me up on my website. I would love to hear about MULTI CULTURAL ideas for preschoolers!!!

Thanks for making me feel tough again. :)

we did this in March. My big kids were newly 6 and 4 and our babies were 10 months and 20 months. Honestly, it's a blur. We basically just survived. But I'm so glad my oldest wasn't in school. We really needed that time to get to know one another. I actually did not have a single minute of overlapping nap time until September. The baby slept 9-11, the toddler 11-1, the 4 yr old 1-2:30 and the baby again 2:30-4:30. It was INSANE!!!

My tips:

-School 6 days a week for 30 minutes, all year long. This way you can accomplish what a more typical family will do in a Aug-May 4-day calendar. You and your DD both have the routine of doing something every day, and it's just more manageable than trying to do 1 1/2 hours. Add to this time read-alouds when you can. (Now, depending on if your 20 month old is walking you might have more time than 30 minutes but not for long).

-Don't buy a boxed curriculum. You won't use it and it will make you depressed to see all the stuff you don't really have time for. I recommend Ordinary Parents Guide for Teaching Reading--and MAYBE five in a row if you're feeling ambitious. I don't think math is necessary for a bright five year old. If you teach her to count, she'll be able to go straight into Saxon 1 or Singapore 1 or whatever without a K program. OPGTR will be perfect for a relative to pick up while you are gone.

-Do double time now. If you think you need science, or history, or any extras for kinder, do them now. If your babies have similar eating and sleeping problems, or developmental delays as most institutionalized kids, you will not be able to do anything except eat, sleep, and play for a long while (a few months or more). Your primary goal when the babies come home should be PLAY and if it will help you to focus on play, double up on your schoolwork now, so you can rest easy knowing she can read when you go to Africa.

-Remember: You are building a family. The lessons your 4 kids will learn this year are much more important than whether they are fluent readers at age 5. This was hard for me (as I typically am prone to acceleration), but I preached it to myself and most days I believe it!

Many happy congratulations!! We have been so blessed with these little ones--I know y'all will be too.

I would love to touch base with you and pick your brain about your adoptions!

I'd not worry about formal curriculum. The only thing I'd focus on is reading/phonics. It was not until my daughter was reading fairly well that we picked up other curricula.

:iagree: Your kids are so young, I wouldn't spend too much time, energy, or money buying a bunch of curriculum. Give yourself some time to settle into the new normal. You'll know MUCH more about your kids learning style and what your days will look like a year or so from now. If you're going to do something, I'd focus on read alouds, basic letters/phonics, and math games. Maybe some copy work if your 4 year old is willing.

Congratulations on your new additions! :grouphug:

I would love to hear about MULTI CULTURAL ideas for preschoolers!!!

The most important thing here would skin tone textas, or markers, or whatever you call them. :tongue_smilie:

Uh, I can't find a link for the ones we have, but Crayola has skin tone crayons. http://www.amazon.com/Crayola%C2%AE-Multicultural-Crayons-Large-Colors/dp/B001HA6IOE/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1318990943&sr=1-1-catcorr

:)

Rosie

I would look at 100 easy lessons for reading. Anybody can pick it up and just leave a bookmark when they are done. Or another scripted easy reading curriculum. Your oldest is 4 have you heard of better late than early. She will not be harmed by taking a year to do a few unit studies, lots of read alouds, and learning about caring for new siblings. Simple math games for math.

Enjoy the time I remember when my oldest was 4 and I was chomping at the bit to do school with him. I waited longer for his brother to start. ;) Congrats on adopting.

Hi! I also adopted two babies at once. They were 9mos and 12mos when I brought them home. I didn't have any other kids, but I'm a single working mom (had partial maternity leave for 3 months), so all in all, I can probably relate to the degree of disruption.

You will be exhausted and probably come down with some bug or other when your babies come home. Just plan on it. And then, you will struggle trying to communicate with them. They may have sleep difficulties, they may not want to eat what you offer. They may regress and not learn for a while. All this will take a lot out of you for quite a while.

So, it's great to have plans and visions for what you're going to do with all your kids after homecoming, but please be prepared with plan B. I wasn't, and it was really hard.

I would suggest that you plan at least a week or two "off" from any duties you don't absolutely have to perform. Maybe have some learning/movement videos stocked up for your kids to watch during this time. Maybe pull out a new and exciting toy for them to play with (on their own). But even if it's just a time for the girls to get to know the babies, that's fine too. You need extra time to figure out your new babies' rhythms and adjust to them.

Also, if you can afford it, consider getting someone to come and help you for at least some regular hours each week. They can help you to avoid getting behind on the basics and getting even more exhausted. You might want to look for someone with expertise that can lend itself to homeschooling or other need. For example, someone with an art or music background or someone with an Ethiopian heritage.

As for preschool multicultural activities, I'd look into multicultural storybooks (there are many awesome ones) and multiracial dolls. Check with the arts community and local international business organizations for family-friendly events around town. Take your kids to ethnic restaurants. There are some popular kids' videos about life in different countries - I've seen them at the library, but I don't have the name. I have a couple of good kid videos - Global Wonders? - but I don't know if they have any in that set that focus on Ethiopia or Africa. We also keep a globe and laminated world map in my kids' room. We refer to them frequently in connection with real world travels as well as the stuff we read about in books. So these are some things you can do before you bring your babies home, to get your older kids interested.

Most of all, good luck as you look forward to your 3rd and 4th blessings!

Wow! Congratulations. We went from 3 to 5 last month, getting 2 little girls from the foster care system whom we will be adopting. Adoption is a wonderful thing. It was a disruption and things were pretty crazy for about a month, but we continued homeschooling. It helped my older kids to adjust by sticking to a routine. But, my older kids are older than your kids are. We just stripped things down a while. Did the basics and that was it. As time progressed and we got adjusted we added stuff back in that we'd dropped.