Menu

Progressive or Geico (insurance)

Which company for auto insurance?  

1. 1. Which company for auto insurance?

• Geico
    • Progressive

Well, it's down to these two for our auto insurance. Please let me know what you think about either company. Thanks.

ETA -- Progressive is $15/mo. less expensive. Is there any reason NOT to go with Progressive? I guess that's my more precise question.

Edited by milovaný

I've never filed a claim with Progressive, but I did have to file with Geico and it was a total nightmare. I ended up having to pay my own medical bills out of pocket (well, I am still paying, LOL). My coworker was in an accident recently and unable to get them to pay claims either. I've heard all kinds of stories since then. Apparently they spent all their claim-paying-funds on idiotic gecko commercials.

I have never heard any complaints about Progressive paying claims.

ETA If either Geico or Progressive has a local office where you can deal with real people (and even have an actual agent), I would choose that option.

Edited by Hwin

I was with geico for 14 years. They were fine. BUT when I did have a couple fender benders (high stress moments, but very minor repairs), they separated my policy from my dh's and sent us separate bills for over 2 years and our rates have been too high. They put our teen on dh's for his inexpensive car, which was paid for and it was very reasonable. But, then my son moved to his dad's and we sold that car and they refused to stop the car insurance. Just this last week they kept telling me I had to send a BILL of my SONS to prove his address change (it's over 100 miles away) and my son does not HAVE any bills... I said I could have the high school fax them proof of his being in school over 100 miles away. They insisted that I sign an affidavit stating that our son would not be covered on our insurance policy any time in the future if he drove one of our vehicles in the future and that then they would remove him from the policy...

We switched last week to Progressive, getting one policy and saving $150 PER MONTH!!!! I was so happy. They do not require anything regarding our teen son who does not live with us...

That's funny you're not using any other insurance companies in your poll.

We had Geico for years, then we switched to Progressive for lower rates. I didn't want to because...because ....I don't like the way that girl wears her hair and makeup.:lol:

It was a better deal...then they increased their rates on us for what reason I do.not.know. So we checked with Geico and it was lower by about $300!

"I'll take the little green fellow.":tongue_smilie:

ETA: I have now read the entire thread. Sounds like the little green guy is lousy to deal with when it comes to claims.

Edited by gingerh

We had Geico for a while. My husband hit a deer and they wanted to put after-market body parts on his brand-new Honda. We had a lot of trouble with them over it and afterwards switched back to AllState.

We have home, life, and car through them and have NEVER had any problems with claims. We were affected by the tornado in AL in April and my agent was calling me throughout to make sure we didn't need anything else and the claims adjuster was great to work with. Afterwards my insurane didn't go up either.

We switched from Geico to Progressive. We were happy with Geico. Then, one month we forgot to pay our bill. Once we realized our mistake, they had added on late fees. (understandable) So, we waited for payday to pay it. At that point, we called to make the payment and they wanted 2 full payments, even though the next wasn't due yet, in order to keep us. We told them that we didn't have that, but would happily pay the payment and the late fees. Nope. So DH went online, signed up for progressive, and our bill per month went down considerably. We've now had Progressive for a few years.

ETA -- Progressive is $15/mo. less expensive. Is there any reason NOT to go with Progressive? I guess that's my more precise question.
The quote in big numbers on Progressive's website is a 6-month rate that has a one-time $50 discount applied. Please be sure to compare the rate you will pay once that discount is removed.

AllState...

That's who we've been with for 5+ years. Our monthly cost with them is more than twice what it would be with G. or P. Just can't do it anymore solely because I want to "shop local." I think our frustration with our local rep. has soured us, too, but the overall cost is the biggest factor.

I have been with Geico for about 16 years. No other insurance company has been able to match my rates or coverage (I do call around and waste my time every couple of years!.) I have never had a problem with them. I call them at least twice a year for various reasons and customer service & underwriters are awesome. I love the 24 hr service. They do not pay me but really should. I heart Geico!

Had Gieco switch to progressive.

I have had hail damage, 2 or 3 deer accidents, dh had 2 accidents. We get our checks delivered in person to us either that day or the next. We have gotten carseats replaced twice due to deer accidents. They looked at my models and gave me the price of comparable models in the case of discontinued ones. I have also had minor glass accidents and gotten them taken care of quickly even when one was out of state on vacation.

Good luck in your quest.

Can't tell you about Progressive. Their quote for us was higher than Geico, so we went with Geico. We've had them almost three years.

I can tell this about Geico:

1. They haven't raised our rates during that time.

2. They have very good customer service.

3. When we were unable to pay our payment (which happened quite frequently the first year) they were more than willing to work with us.

We had Allstate for over twenty years. Loved our agent. Great customer service, but our rates went through the roof. We literally got to the point that we couldn't make the payment. Our agent tried several things to lower our rates and every time it renewed it still went back up. Geico has great customer service and is affordable. We'll never go back to Allstate.

I think we'll go with Progressive. Our bill with Allstate recently went up to $180/mo., whereas with Progressive it will be $85. Of course that's not counting our almost-licensed son, and I'll ask about that when I call Progressive. But at Allstate it was going to be an additional $100/mo. and I can't imagine it would be that much with Progressive. I guess we'll see.

Have you looked at Amica? They gave us way lower rates than either of the two you've listed, and their customer service is top rate.

:iagree:

We've been pleased with Amica for car and homeowners for years, and nobody we've ever found has been able to touch their rates, even after I had an accident. They are a pleasure to do business with, easy to contact if you have a problem, will help you research your plan to see if you need to make any changes (ie your car has aged, should you decrease your deductible; you are traveling for six months and are not using your main residence-- can you get a reduction on your main home insurance and do you need renter's insurance, etc) very quickly and efficiently.

They don't waste a lot of money on TV ads or agents, and pass the cost savings on to you.

We have moved across state lines across the country several times and stuck with them, because in different regions of the country, they keep coming up the cheapest, and still have great service.

:iagree:

We've been pleased with Amica for car and homeowners for years, and nobody we've ever found has been able to touch their rates, even after I had an accident.

I tried them after seeing them mentioned here. They were more expensive than Geico and Progressive.

Mila, do you have AAA (also known as Triple A or the Auto Club)? I went through them and got a much cheaper quote than Allstate, which is what we had before. We have Travellers now. What I like is having AAA be the mediator for me if I have a question. What I don't like: Travelers charges you $5/ month if you want a paper bill, $1/month to pay by automatic deduction. There is no other choice. But it's still way less than Allstate. I don't have any experience with them and claims, though.