Menu

Delicate question for Catholic converts...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind. This has gone way off topic and it is starting to feel like Bait a Catholic instead of asking an honest question, to me.

No offense meant, but I am bowing out for the night.

Edited by Asenik

Ishki: Actually the picture I have is of a tree trunk with many branches, still attached, but branching off from the main trunk in differing directions.

This is a much more accurate picture, than of a severed limb.

They keep with them much of the truth, but not the fullness of the truth.

According to them. Actually, while I think they do many things right, scripturally, I think claiming "the fullness of the truth" while claiming no other believers have it is hubristic.

I've been hurt and angry many times by people who claim Catholics aren't Christian. I hate to see that this happened to our extended Christian family. I certainly don't believe that other denominations aren't Christian. In fact, such a thought has never entered my mind until reading this thread. I am so sorry that people have been hurt.

You seem like a kind person.

I'd never say Catholics aren't Christians, though I have seen this said. But on the flip side, for Catholics to claim "the fullness of the truth" that other believers are missing sounds kind of the same.

A year long study of the book of Revelation. I won't go into details. I don't have that much internet time to burn.

Yet you wish your own questions answered on other's internet time?:confused:

Implication being that time spent = true understanding? And that answering the question is unprofitable to you, and unworthy of your time?

Edited by Lawana
Adding

A year long study of the book of Revelation. I won't go into details. I don't have that much internet time to burn.

Yet you wish your own questions answered on other's internet time?:confused:

Interestingly, it's the Revelations of John that mention the Saints in Heaven praying for those here on Earth :)

I was with you until the comment about the neighbors worshipping statues. That felt a bit antagonistic to me.

If you are ever interested in hearing how Catholics interpret Revelations, Scott Hahn wrote a wonderful book called "The Lamb's Supper" that goes into detail about it.

So I take it, Sheldon, that you entered into this discussion with a question, then clear statements of your belief, but are unwilling to engage about your beliefs? Implying that as you don't have "the internet time to burn," that the discussions are beneath you?

Is the supposed fact that Catholics believe they are the only Christians in the catechism? :confused: I have NEVER heard that taught from the Church, and we just went through a very thorough RCIA process this year. We were always told that Protestants were the "separated brethren." In fact, there were times I WISH they spoke more strongly on this issue, since I come from being a lifelong protestant and believe I was very, very misguided.

The accurate teaching is the RCC is the One True Church.

That is not the same as the only Christians.

Our neighbors have statues of Mary and perhaps some other saints that they kneel before and place things around. It *looks* like worshiping an statue, even if it isn't.

And do you also think people visiting graves on memorial or veterans day or just for loved ones on any other day to seem like worshipping a tombstone?:001_huh: They are very likely doing the same things as your neighbors in front of the statue. Kneeling, placing flowers, talking/praying, sharing tales of the deceased person's life ....

Interestingly, it's the Revelations of John that mention the Saints in Heaven praying for those here on Earth :)

HA! That was my first thought too! :)

The accurate teaching is the RCC is the One True Church.

Which is why it always puzzles the heck out of me to read the accusation that Catholics aren't Christians. They are the original Church from which all other Christians sprang!

Which is why it always puzzles the heck out of me to read the accusation that Catholics aren't Christians. They are the original Church from which all other Christians sprang!

But then you'd be thinking logically!

And no, I'm not RC.

:iagree: Seriously. And FTR, I currently attend a Lutheran church, but I highly respect, admire, and sometimes envy my Catholic brothers and sisters.

Some of you are makig me want to rush to my neighborhood neighborhood parish to join up. Catholics pretty much seem to rock. I'd be on board if it wasn't for the Jesus is Divine bit. I am looking for Jesus was a really cool who guy who preached love and acceptance, and so fat, dank. *But* I am rocking the Mary love! "Worshippping " a devoted mom (virgin or no) is pretty much up my alley. And worshipping a cool Jewish mom who might make you chicken soup when you're sick? Well, you had me a noodles. No...you at me at broth. :)

Yeah... Kind of leaves us scratching our heads too!:tongue_smilie:

Some of you are makig me want to rush to my neighborhood neighborhood parish to join up. Catholics pretty much seem to rock. I'd be on board if it wasn't for the Jesus is Divine bit.

Yep. That is indeed a deal breaker!

But we'll still share our chicken noodle soup with you.:)

Dh adds: And home brewed beer!

Yep. That is indeed a deal breaker!

But we'll still share our chicken noodle soup with you.:)

Dh adds: And home brewed beer!

Darn you Catholics with your "We were here before you" claim and your home-brewed beer! Equally convincing arguments to go back to Rome.;) Also, you guys have the coolest homeschool stuff.

How do they know they were the only church? Couldn't there have been very small bodies of believers spread out in villages and towns in the early centuries? Since the bible makes no mention of the word "Catholic" or "Pope" how can Catholics believe so strongly that they are THE church.

I didn't know this before we started inquiring into the Eastern Orthodox church, but there's a recorded history that you can read and know. And it points to either the Roman Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox church as being the original church (they were one and the same for the first ~1000 years; then one split off from the other one in 1054 AD -- they disagree on who split from who). There are letters from early church fathers (some from men who knew the disciples themselves), there were all-church ecumenical councils, there were martyrs for the faith whose life stories were recorded, etc. In all of these, the faith is one; the church is one. There are no denominations, no offshoot groups (unless heretical ones), none of that. The church is ONE as Christ said it should be -- the faith is a unified whole. And that church still exists. We got to the point of asking, "If that church still exists, why would we not want to be a part of it?" and ended up converting. Some choose Orthodoxy, others choose Roman Catholicism -- but the pull of the historical/apostolic church is easier to fathom once you understand this basic fact of church history: The church was one and this original church -- straight from the New Testament -- still exists.

Edited by milovaný

Interesting turn of topics. So I just want to say that I agree with all the Catholics here that have stated why they stayed. I was coming into church at the time it was front news everyday. Yes, I was very angry about it. I was angry how it all was handled by my those that should have stopped this a long time ago and I was also upset at how it was portrayed in the media. For me it was clear that the secular news media was having a grand time bashing and calling into question many of our beliefs. As time has gone on the years have exposed this even more, it seems to be more of the same. My heart went out to the abused victims and their families. My heart also went out to the priest that never abused anyone and yet were spit on and verbally assaulted. Many priests we know were very afraid at times.

The Church has taken steps to protect children, a lot late I think, but it is there.

I didn't know this before we started inquiring into the Eastern Orthodox church, but there's a recorded history that you can read and know. And it points to either the Roman Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox church as being the original church (they were one and the same for the first ~1000 years; then one split off from the other one in 1054 AD -- they disagree on who split from who). There are letters from early church fathers (some from men who knew the disciples themselves), there were all-church ecumenical councils, there were martyrs for the faith whose life stories were recorded, etc. In all of these, the faith is one; the church is one. There are no denominations, no offshoot groups (unless heretical ones), none of that. The church is ONE as Christ said it should be -- the faith is a unified whole. And that church still exists. We got to the point of asking, "If that church still exists, why would we not want to be a part of it?" and ended up converting. Some choose Orthodoxy, others choose Roman Catholicism -- but the pull of the historical/apostolic church is easier to fathom once you understand this basic fact of church history: The church was one and this original church -- straight from the New Testament -- still exists.

Yes, we have books of writings from those early fathers. There are writings through the ages from then until now. If there were other groups then I've yet to see proof that they existed. Studying the writings you can also see how the Church was formed. How the doctrines and practices took shape, some things that Protestants assume are 'new" things have been around for way longer than their particular branch has even existed.

As a former Catholic, even when I was a Catholic, other Catholics who claimed that only Catholics were Christians bothered me. Same as the Baptists who tried to claim that only Baptists are Christian. Both are and so are many others. That said, it would not bother me if one of my kids married a Lutheran, let's say. It would bother me if they married a Catholic but only because of the tendency of the Catholics to call themselves the One True Faith and not have it encompass all Christians but just Catholics. See I think I had true faith when I was a Catholic and still have true faith today as a Presbyterian. It is simply a matter for me where I felt I was learning the most about God, serving God, and worshipping God. The Catholic Church drove me away, not because of the priest scandals, which hadn't been brought to light then, but because of the totally inadequate preaching and worship experience I was having at the church. I was listening to sermons about Sandanistas (pro) and stupid tv sitcoms and nothing about the Bible. The congregation mumbled through the hymns and everyone there acted like yes, it was an obligation, not something you did because you wanted to get closer to God. So I started visiting Protestant churches. All of them had more involved congregations. We chose one where we learned more about God each week from the preaching in the sermon. We were given many opportunities to serve either in church or the community. Where people seemed genuily happy to be there. We have never looked back.

Since dh has been in the military, we have moved a lot. But we always find churches where we learn from the preaching and where the congregation is involved. My daughter looks forward to Church instead of seeing it as a Day of Obligation. My kids know so much more about God and the Bible then I did at each of their ages, and mostly because of what they have learned in church and Sunday School and youth groups.

Well... I'm not exactly sure where you get this from. John Paul II, in his encyclical Ut unum sint:

Appreciating the endowments present among other Christians

47. Dialogue does not extend exclusively to matters of doctrine but engages the whole person; it is also a dialogue of love. The Council has stated: "Catholics must joyfully acknowledge and esteem the truly Christian endowments from our common heritage which are to be found among our separated brothers and sisters. It is right and salutary to recognize the riches of Christ and virtuous works in the lives of others who are bearing witness to Christ, sometimes even to the shedding of their blood. For God is always wonderful in his works and worthy of admiration".79

48. The relationships which the members of the Catholic Church have established with other Christians since the Council have enabled us to discover what God is bringing about in the members of other Churches and Ecclesial Communities. This direct contact, at a variety of levels, with pastors and with the members of these Communities has made us aware of the witness which other Christians bear to God and to Christ. A vast new field has thus opened up for the whole ecumenical experience, which at the same time is the great challenge of our time. Is not the twentieth century a time of great witness, which extends "even to the shedding of blood"? And does not this witness also involve the various Churches and Ecclesial Communities which take their name from Christ, Crucified and Risen?

Such a joint witness of holiness, as fidelity to the one Lord, has an ecumenical potential extraordinarily rich in grace. The Second Vatican Council made it clear that elements present among other Christians can contribute to the edification of Catholics: "Nor should we forget that whatever is wrought by the grace of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of our separated brothers and sisters can contribute to our own edification. Whatever is truly Christian never conflicts with the genuine interests of the faith; indeed, it can always result in a more ample realization of the very mystery of Christ and the Church".80 Ecumenical dialogue, as a true dialogue of salvation, will certainly encourage this process, which has already begun well, to advance towards true and full communion.

a

It isn't offensive, it makes me sick. And I consider myself a faithful Catholic. (so maybe your question is kinda directed at people like me, how can we stand it?) Well, I practice my faith due to Jesus and the Holy Trinity. The externals of the faith (church attendance, devotions, prayers, Bible, faith activities, etc.) are all a means to bring me closer to my God. I see no reason to leave any of that just because the people running the joint seem to have less faith than your average Catholic.

It's puzzling, to be sure, but it isn't going to drive me away from my purpose of being on the planet. And it's VERY irritating, from a human standpoint. Cardinal Law got a cushy job in Rome instead of a lifetime of penance on a deserted island. Mahoney is another one. I could go on and on. WHY are they still around? Well, I have to separate the two -- what's going on in the church, and what's going on in my own personal spiritual life.

Personal opinion: this is an era that has been foretold at LaSallette and at Fatima. It presages the Fall of the Church, which will mirror what happened to Christ Himself. Then the church will be reborn and spotless, but not without going through a tremendous tribulation. Eh, I think we're very close to that moment, actually.

But on a day to day basis I keep doing my own personal spiritual thing.

I thought this same thing. So I asked someone "in the know". Apparently, his job isn't cushy at all - it's a completely powerless position that was deliberately given to be a professional shaming / personal embarrassment / "here buddy, you'll have plenty of time to think / pray about all of the damage you've done since we didn't have concrete evidence to throw you in the slammer" kind of thing.

The Vatican saves the oversight jobs of the various basilicas in Rome for the guys who have effed up and need to be watched like hawks. The rest of the ecclesiastical community avoids them like the plague at a time in their "careers" when they would have had people kissing their @sses.

It made me feel better.

a

Our neighbors have statues of Mary and perhaps some other saints that they kneel before and place things around. It *looks* like worshiping an statue, even if it isn't.

Cool. I am taking this to mean then, that you are correcting your children- that those Catholics are not worshipping idols, that they are merely participating in something that you don't believe in. The way that sounded- it sounded like you were allowing your children to falsely believe that those Catholics are in direct violation of the 1st commandment. Glad you clarified- thanks!

[slight hijack]LDS and Mormon are the same thing. :D And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion of Catholicism. (which I'm finding quite informative!)[/slight hijack]

I thought that as I posted it. Talked myself out of it, then right back in. Okay, and dh gave me pumpkin beer so i was to lazy to double check. ;)

I feel like I missed a group though, and I was trying to avoid another "not all protestants" debate :)

I thought that as I posted it. Talked myself out of it, then right back in. Okay, and dh gave me pumpkin beer so i was to lazy to double check. ;)

I feel like I missed a group though, and I was trying to avoid another "not all protestants" debate :)

Where is this pumpkin beer? :001_huh: I would very much like some of that.

Sheldon, Thank you for clarifying. I'm sorry I judged your motives.

Where is this pumpkin beer? :001_huh: I would very much like some of that.

Sheldon, Thank you for clarifying. I'm sorry I judged your motives.

Went to the Lancaster Brewing Company yesterday, on a date with DH. The seasonal beer of the month was "Shoo Fly ale" UGH! Anything that starts with "Shoo Fly"...well, don't bother me!

btw, it's Greek owned...they have the best Lamb Burger and Portabella Sliders on Earth! Then add their soups...heaven...

Edited by mommaduck

Went to the Lancaster Brewing Company yesterday, on a date with DH. The seasonal beer of the month was "Shoo Fly ale" UGH! Anything that starts with "Shoo Fly"...well, don't bother me!

Isn't Shoo Fly chocolate and caramel or something? I like Young's Oatmeal Stout and Chocolate Stout, but Shoo Fly sounds all kinds of wrong. I hope the rest of your date went well!

I will now be on the lookout for pumpkin beer. :D

I love it when Asta posts. :D

Isn't Shoo Fly chocolate and caramel or something? I like Young's Oatmeal Stout and Chocolate Stout, but Shoo Fly sounds all kinds of wrong. I hope the rest of your date went well!

I love it when Asta posts. :D

Molasses. And if you have to live in Dutch Country, you learn to not like Dutch food. They have "BBQ Chicken" around here and there's NO SAUCE on it! (heretics!) Now the Puerto Ricans, they have it going on with the BBQ's :D

So I take it, Sheldon, that you entered into this discussion with a question, then clear statements of your belief, but are unwilling to engage about your beliefs? Implying that as you don't have "the internet time to burn," that the discussions are beneath you?

Edited by Sheldon

I am sorry you had that experience. Catholic parishes and priests vary in terms of what you are calling worship experience. Some priests are better homilists than others. Some people like Gregorian chant, while others like contemporary music. There is room for both inside the Church. I guess what I am saying is that i am glad you found what you are looking for, but you didn't have to leave the Catholic Church to find it. All of that exists inside the Church. Some parishes are more vibrant and active than others, but nothing you said is something that is exclusively not Catholic.

Having said that, the Catholic idea of what worship is and what it entails and centers on is often different from the non-Catholic one. Worship to me is in the act of the Mass and in the Eucharist. The music is nice. The homily is informative and enriching, but the Eucharist is the worship for me.

:iagree: I, too, am sorry your experience was so dismal. Sadly it happens all too often. A day of obligation should be a good day, not something to dread.

Can I carefully put a question in here? Why does the Catholic church believe that they are the church that Christ founded?

It isn't just the Catholic church that believes that. Reputable historians and Bible scholars will say that there was one Christian church that Christ founded. That church grew for 1000 years before the Great Schism between East and West. At that point the Orthodox church believed it was The Church and that the west was wrong, and the west (Rome) believed the East had gone wrong.

These two branches of the same chruch grew into what we have today. About 500 years later Luther decided he had enough of the corruption and scandal going on and nailed his Thesis to the door of the church in Wittenburg. Another split occurred.

We had a really good graphic that depicted the splits. I've lost the link to it. Mommaduck chastised me the last time I posted one that did not show equality between the east and west so I hesitate to post one that we have not vetted. But if you are curious you can google it yourself.

As I said it isn't just the Catholic church that teaches it was the first church. There was one church for the first 1000 years of Christianity. (Unless you count the heretical Gnostic church)

Is the supposed fact that Catholics believe they are the only Christians in the catechism? :confused: I have NEVER heard that taught from the Church, and we just went through a very thorough RCIA process this year. We were always told that Protestants were the "separated brethren." In fact, there were times I WISH they spoke more strongly on this issue, since I come from being a lifelong protestant and believe I was very, very misguided.

No. the Catechism says:

"However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers. . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."

How do they know they were the only church? Couldn't there have been very small bodies of believers spread out in villages and towns in the early centuries? Since the bible makes no mention of the word "Catholic" or "Pope" how can Catholics believe so strongly that they are THE church.

Thanks for answering. I live in a highly Catholic area, but didn't want to offend friends by asking. My kids always ask me why many of our neighbors are worshiping statues in their backyards :)

No history does not show that there were many small bodies that were not united. The Bible is full of letters written to and from leaders of unified Christian churches.

The Orthodox would argue this with you. :D

Edited by Parrothead

You seem to be looking for a fight. You are going to have to pick on some else.

I think she's just saying "tit for tat". They answered your questions and they would like you to be willing to do the same. #1 it keeps the conversation going. #2 it helps them understand why you believe the way you do, especially since you can get ten people doing "a year's study on the book" and they will tell you five to ten different beliefs or views on it...especially when the historical view on Revelations says quite the opposite than what you have taken from it (irt the saints in heaven).

You seem to be looking for a fight. You are going to have to pick on some else.

I don't think you are being picked on.

Common curtsey dictates that when one is asking questions one should be open to being asked questions.

Perhaps you have time today to answer questions asked kindly about your beliefs.

:iagree: I, too, am sorry your experience was so dismal. Sadly it happens all too often. A day of obligation should be a good day, not something to dread.

It isn't just the Catholic church that believes that. Reputable historians and Bible scholars will say that there was one Christian church that Christ founded. That church grew for 1000 years before the Great Schism between East and West. At that point the Orthodox church believed it was The Church and that the west was wrong, and the west (Rome) believed the East had gone wrong.

These two branches of the same chruch grew into what we have today. About 500 years later Luther decided he had enough of the corruption and scandal going on and nailed his Thesis to the door of the church in Wittenburg. Another split occurred.

We had a really good graphic that depicted the splits. I've lost the link to it. Mommaduck chastised me the last time I posted one that did not show equality between the east and west so I hesitate to post one that we have not vetted. But if you are curious you can google it yourself.

As I said it isn't just the Catholic church that teaches it was the first church. There was one church for the first 1000 years of Christianity. (Unless you count the heretical Gnostic church)

No. the Catechism says:

No history does not show that there were many small bodies that were not united. The Bible is full of letters written to and from unified Christian churches.

The Orthodox would argue this with you. :D

I didn't mean to chastise you, hon. I was just having fun with ya, is all. :)

okay :) I need to go find some coffee. Time for me to detach from this addiction and let my kid do her algebra on here.

I forgot we were on vacation this week until dd got the schedule out and saw nothing scheduled for the week.

Noting like a surprise vacation. I'm going to clean today and.... I don't know what we will do the rest of the week.

I hate to interject a note of controversy into such a lovely thread (:D) but "pumpkin beer" is not BEER.

Beer is made of water, malt, hops, and yeast. That's it!

This other stuff is some kind of flavored malted beverage. That is all :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I think she's just saying "tit for tat". They answered your questions and they would like you to be willing to do the same. #1 it keeps the conversation going. #2 it helps them understand why you believe the way you do, especially since you can get ten people doing "a year's study on the book" and they will tell you five to ten different beliefs or views on it...especially when the historical view on Revelations says quite the opposite than what you have taken from it (irt the saints in heaven).

I don't think you are being picked on.

Common curtsey dictates that when one is asking questions one should be open to being asked questions.

Perhaps you have time today to answer questions asked kindly about your beliefs.

My internet time is limited to an hour a day. I simply do not have hours and hours to pour into message boards and on-line relationships. I prefer to pour myself into my family and IRL friends. I asked a quick question. If I am not allowed to do that and move on, then I guess I need to find another homeschooling board.

I hate to interject a note of controversy into such a lovely thread (:D) but "pumpkin beer" is not BEER.

Beer is made of water, malt, hops, and yeast. That's it!

This other stuff is some kind of flavored malted beverage. That is all :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I know I know! But it is yummy and great for Fall ;)