Menu

Is anyone here going to the Great Homeschool Convention in California in May?

My dh has just given me the go ahead to go... by myself! I am so excited, I have never been to a convention. The idea of 3 days to learn and browse homeschool stuff is so exciting.

So... should we have a WTM get together while we are there?

Nicole

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh wow! I want to go! I've only been out to California once.

We often go to the Florida one in May. It's HUGE!

Is the Great Homeschool Convention as large as the FPEA one?

Julie

I don't know, I have never been to a convention.

I am lucky with the location. Jet blue flies Portland to Long beach!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still planning on going, no dh and no dc, just me. I am so excited, knowing that I am going has made me stop buying curriculum. I am just planning at what looks good for next year. I am hoping to get most of what I need for next year at the convention.

We should try and do a coffee morning meet up. Once the schedule is up and we see what is going on.

I am giving up the boards for Lent, but please include me in any planning. I am planning on flying down the night before and leaving the day after.

I'm considering it, but worried it is not really my thing. We are not conservative Christian (we're Catholic), but the other relatively local one to us is a pretty much unschooler convention. We went several years but are over that. I would really love to hear some good speakers.

I'm thinking about going.

I'm considering it, but worried it is not really my thing. We are not conservative Christian (we're Catholic), but the other relatively local one to us is a pretty much unschooler convention. We went several years but are over that. I would really love to hear some good speakers.

We're Catholic too. I would really just be going to hear SWB speak.

Same, but Episcopalian. I want to hear SWB speak. Also have a chance to look through curriculum. The guy from Memoria Press that teaches logic is going to be there too.

I will go through my schedule and just make sure to avoid the young earth ministries.

This is my first convention, I just think I am going to get more out of one where there are a few classical models represented. I am just preparing myself to let other things slide by.

I am also not bringing my kids for the kid part.

Same, but Episcopalian. I want to hear SWB speak. Also have a chance to look through curriculum. The guy from Memoria Press that teaches logic is going to be there too.

I will go through my schedule and just make sure to avoid the young earth ministries.

This is my first convention, I just think I am going to get more out of one where there are a few classical models represented. I am just preparing myself to let other things slide by.

I am also not bringing my kids for the kid part.

It would be my first convention too. There is some curricula that I really want to see in real life (MCT for one) before purchasing.

Do we know when the speaker schedule will be up? I'm about 60 miles from there so I would probably just drive down for 1 day.

We are pretty much secular in our homeschooling and I've been to the Southeast convention by the same people. I was also worried since we aren't conservative Christian, but I found a LOT of useful speakers and exhibitors! SWB is an awesome speaker! It looks like she won't be at the SE convention this year, but will be in CA, so I'm jealous! I used to live in OC, so I have 2 reasons to be jealous. lol.

Here is a link to the registration page

http://homeschool-convention-registration.com//shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=12&cat=California+%28Long+Beach%2C+CA%29

It is $30 for an individual and $45 for a family. At some point the price will go up, that is the early registration price.

I don't know when they release the schedule as I have never been to one, this is my first homeschool convention.

Ok, so I will be gone after today until Easter. Ibbygirl has my real e-mail if you all are getting more into details about a meet up.

What about the tea cup stickers for the name tags?:lol:

We are pretty much secular in our homeschooling and I've been to the Southeast convention by the same people. I was also worried since we aren't conservative Christian, but I found a LOT of useful speakers and exhibitors!

Oh, that is useful information for me. I'm one county away, and am on the fence about it.

• 1 month later...

I may be coming, as well as another member of these boards (who's much more active here than me!). I'm the coordinator for the Marin County Christian homeschool group and she's the Co-op Director, so we may be road tripping together. I don't really know anyone who has said they're coming (except HenJen through Twitter) but it would still be fun to get together for coffee :)

Episcopalian here too, and I am going. I can't wait. :001_smile:

I may be coming, as well as another member of these boards (who's much more active here than me!). I'm the coordinator for the Marin County Christian homeschool group and she's the Co-op Director, so we may be road tripping together. I don't really know anyone who has said they're coming (except HenJen through Twitter) but it would still be fun to get together for coffee :)

Fancy meeting you here.

I can't wait. I'm especially looking forward to hearing Michael Clay Thompsom, SWB & Andrew Kern. I just wish it wasn't Memorial day weekend. My boys have a huge hockey tournament so I may have to fit everything in one day. I could spend one day alone just browsing the curriculum hall! :tongue_smilie:

The Memorial weekend thing actually worked out opposite for us. No games or swim meets because of the holiday. You named my top 3 speakers!

I'm going! And I am so thrilled that it is in Long Beach - the metro train stop is a block away so I don't have to drive (I live near Magic Mountain)!

I think we should all wear kilts.

My son's hockey tourney is right near Magic Mountain. Is it a fairly easy train ride? How close does it drop you off from the conference? That might be an interesting option.

My son has a kilt but I don't think I could squeeze into it. :D

I'm going! And I am so thrilled that it is in Long Beach - the metro train stop is a block away so I don't have to drive (I live near Magic Mountain)!

I'll be there, but probably not on Saturday. It's my son's birthday.

Don't think I can scare up a kilt, though! :tongue_smilie:

I received this email update from the convention organizers:

WE WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP...

You've likely noticed that we keep registration pricing extremely affordable! (We know what it's like to make financial sacrifices - - - homeschooling, and doing so on one income) However, in our continued efforts to keep registration extremely affordable, we would appreciate YOUR help...

1) If you would, please make your hotel reservations at one of the participating convention hotels. We've reserved blocks of discounted hotel rooms at these hotels. Additionally, this is a crucial part of securing an affordable "rent" at the convention center...which, in turn, allows us to keep registration prices lower.

2) If you would make it a point to encourage your homeschooling friends to attend, we would be ever so grateful! (Please don't forget to let folks know via Facebook, support groups, etc.)

Thank you so much! We're really looking forward to an OUTSTANDING convention! We'll be posting the initial WORKSHOP TOPICS and DESCRIPTIONS on the website later this week!

Workshop descriptions have been posted - this is the cream of the crop of homeschool speakers - just about everyone I've ever heard of, including Susan Wise Bauer conducting a number of sessions:

http://www.californiahomeschoolconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-California-Homeschool-Convention-Workshops.pdf

I know! I am so excited to hear so many of the great speakers and to get my hands on all of that curriculum!

Anybody going from the OC?

Workshop descriptions have been posted - this is the cream of the crop of homeschool speakers - just about everyone I've ever heard of, including Susan Wise Bauer conducting a number of sessions:

http://www.californiahomeschoolconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-California-Homeschool-Convention-Workshops.pdf

I am thinking about going. We live near Magic Mountain, too. Do you go to some of the local park days or field trips?

I live near Magic Mountain too!:D

I am on the email lists for two different HS groups. I go to the park days for the group that meets on Fridays but I haven't been on a field trip yet.

• 2 weeks later...