Menu

Is anyone here going to the Great Homeschool Convention in California in May?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! :001_smile:

Do I need to sign up for the specific classes I want? Is it first come? Do they fill up (so I should get there early)?

I've only been to Montessori conventions, this set up is a little different. Thanks for helping me. :001_smile:

No, you just pay the admission price, and then you pick and choose which seminars to attend. I am not sure about how crowded this will be....it's my first one. I think that for the speakers I really want to hear, I will try to go as early as possible to get a good seat, if it looks like it will be crowded.

As far as I know they haven't posted the schedule yet....only topics. Is that correct?

I am in the Yorba Linda area, and was just planning on driving. I never even think to take a train! Do you know any details about the area that would make the train seem like the better option? I'm not familiar with the venue. In fact, I'm not all that familiar with Long Beach at all!

Anybody know.... what the parking will be like? Will it be possible to walk to lunch places, or will it involve having to drive to get lunch somewhere? Oh, and does anyone know what the walk from the parking lot to the convention center will be like?

Ah! Thanks :001_smile:

Here it is if anyone was wondering (and can't find things right in front of you :tongue_smilie:): http://www.californiahomeschoolconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-California-SCHEDULE.pdf

I hope they merge the workshops with the schedule soon, so I can start plotting out an itinerary.

I'm driving from OC, it's not far for me. I'm thinking of driving down and scoping out the eating options...I'm so excited!:D

Judging from the schedule, it doesn't seem like there will be much time to eat without missing something! Hopefully the best seminars will not be around meal times :D

I'm planning on going (I'm thinking taking the kids on Friday to just browse the vendor hall; my mom said she'd watch the boys for us on Saturday so dh and I can go together, but I don't think I can talk him into a day off to go on Friday too). I'm waiting, though, for them to put out the complete schedule so I know what day has which speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Email Update:

If you would, please make your hotel reservations at one of the participating convention hotels by Tuesday, May 1st. (This is a crucial part of securing an affordable "rent" at the convention center...which, in turn, allows us to keep registration prices lower.)

NOTE:Complete WORKSHOP TOPICS & DESCRIPTIONS and CONVENTION SCHEDULE will be posted on the convention website sometime later today. Thanks!

Email Update:

If you would, please make your hotel reservations at one of the participating convention hotels by Tuesday, May 1st. (This is a crucial part of securing an affordable "rent" at the convention center...which, in turn, allows us to keep registration prices lower.)

NOTE:Complete WORKSHOP TOPICS & DESCRIPTIONS and CONVENTION SCHEDULE will be posted on the convention website sometime later today. Thanks!

They have certainly been intimating a financial crunch with this convention. This may end up being the first AND last Great Homeschool Convention that California gets.

That's kind of their own fault - they certainly could have a chosen a much less expensive city than Long Beach.

:iagree:And I'm not sure they understand the geography/distribution of the West Coast. If they wanted to attract more of the coast, they really should have picked a more central area, like the Bay Area. I think they are losing a lot of the Northwest by choosing SoCal. It is a pretty far distance to travel compared to all the different locations back east.

:iagree:And I'm not sure they understand the geography/distribution of the West Coast. If they wanted to attract more of the coast, they really should have picked a more central area, like the Bay Area. I think they are losing a lot of the Northwest by choosing SoCal. It is a pretty far distance to travel compared to all the different locations back east.

I'm not sure about that. CHEA's bigger convention is in SoCal (previously held in LB) and up to this year, that was the biggest convention in the state. I guess depending on the turnout, it may still be. There seems to be a lot of homeschoolers in OC. I don't feel like there's a ton of homeschoolers around here, except maybe in San Jose. I probably would have also chosen SoCal if I were organizing it.

Yep, I think their aim was to choose a location with a higher concentration of homeschoolers. The farther up the coast you go, I'm certain the less you'll find. Also, the San Joaquin Valley is sort of the Bible Belt West , and has a fairly sizable HS population. I'm sure they wanted to be close enough to be accessible to all the Bakersfield, and even Fresno folks.

They got as close to the OC as was financially feasible, I'm sure. It would have been a bigger money pit if they had tried to do this here in the OC.

Edited by Singingmom

Yes, here in the Bay Area, especially the north bay, there is nowhere near the population of Christian homeschoolers as down south and inland. That said, if there was any way to make it a little more central - like say Monterey or even San Luis Obispo (talk about expensive!) - it might attract the most people from different parts of the state. My dream location for something like this would be Mount Hermon (Santa Cruz Mountains) - I'm betting Shannon would agree :)

In any case, I'm so glad I'm going this time, in case they don't come back! And I was excited to read that they're hopefully posting the full schedule by the end of today :lurk5:

Yes, here in the Bay Area, especially the north bay, there is nowhere near the population of Christian homeschoolers as down south and inland. That said, if there was any way to make it a little more central - like say Monterey or even San Luis Obispo (talk about expensive!) - it might attract the most people from different parts of the state. My dream location for something like this would be Mount Hermon (Santa Cruz Mountains) - I'm betting Shannon would agree :)

In any case, I'm so glad I'm going this time, in case they don't come back! And I was excited to read that they're hopefully posting the full schedule by the end of today :lurk5:

Mount Hermon is nowhere near big enough, thought the commute would be nice. I actually like LB as a location. The convention center is nice.

Schedule is out. No Andrew Kern. No MCT. The lineup is still good, but those are 2 that I was really looking forward to. I specifically asked GHC if MCT was speaking and they said yes. Wonder what happened? Does he have a controversial blog that I'm unaware of?

Schedule is out. No Andrew Kern. No MCT. The lineup is still good, but those are 2 that I was really looking forward to. I specifically asked GHC if MCT was speaking and they said yes. Wonder what happened? Does he have a controversial blog that I'm unaware of?

Seriously? No Andrew Kern either?? I saw that MCT wasn't on the schedule so I emailed RFWP. All I received was an email saying that neither he nor they are attending...no explanation. The convention is listed on their Facebook page. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I'm upset that I paid $$ to see certain speakers who are no longer attending. I'd see SWB anytime but I've heard all but one of her scheduled lectures. Totally annoying!

Seriously? No Andrew Kern either?? I saw that MCT wasn't on the schedule so I emailed RFWP. All I received was an email saying that neither he nor they are attending...no explanation. The convention is listed on their Facebook page. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I'm upset that I paid $$ to see certain speakers who are no longer attending. I'd see SWB anytime but I've heard all but one of her scheduled lectures. Totally annoying!

So RFWP won't be there at all?! ARRGGGHH! I REALLY wanted to get my hands on that material.

Leah Lutz of Circe is speaking, and I've heard really good things about her.

Hey Dolphin :)

Are you flying?? I looked through the conference info...

I am. Jet blue straight into Longbeach.

Noooooo.....I was really looking forward to MCT. I am still really excited to hear SWB's workshops.

I am going to go to Joanne's and see if I can get a strip of plaid material to tie to my tote...anyone else?

Dh and I were planning on going (complete with babysitting for the boys courtesy of my mom), but after seeing no Andrew Kern nor MCT, and being somewhat disappointed by what is being offer, I just can't justify the money. :( I am bummed because I was looking forward to it, but the Bravewriter stuff began a bad taste in my mouth and it just feels like it's getting worse (the overall feeling I have regarding GHC; I was going to put it aside to see some people speak, but not now). Oh well ... maybe we can still hit my mom up for kid-sitting and go do something else.

Shannon, you're not changing your mind, I hope :) The link to the schedule is here http://www.californiahomeschoolconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2012-CALIFORNIA-SCHEDULE-04-30.pdf

I should also say, especially for a first timer, there's a lot to love on the schedule. SWB, Andrew Pudewa, Adam Andrews, Todd Wilson... I'm looking forward to Sonya Schafer and Catherine Levison now that I'm on this CM kick. I'm also looking forward to Leah Lutz and Marcia Somerville. I was just REALLY looking forward to MCT. Majorly bummed about that.

So, I am going to pretty much all of SWB's workshops. Is there one that everyone is planning on going to? If so, maybe we can meet for coffee before and all sit together. If we all have plaid ribbons we would just be a sea of plaid ribbons:D

Edited by Northwest_Mama
spelling

I should also say, especially for a first timer, there's a lot to love on the schedule. SWB, Andrew Pudewa, Adam Andrews, Todd Wilson... I'm looking forward to Sonya Schafer and Catherine Levison now that I'm on this CM kick. I'm also looking forward to Leah Lutz and Marcia Somerville. I was just REALLY looking forward to MCT. Majorly bummed about that.

I was actually kind of curious to hear him as well, because I knew you were excited about that, so I had just been researching that curriculum. If you have his stuff, I'd love to check it out.

So, I am going to pretty much all of SWB's workshops. Is there one that everyone is planning on going to? If so, maybe we can meet for coffee before and all sit together. If we all have plaid ribbons we would just be a sea of plaid ribbons:D

I am planning to go the first SWB workshop - Teaching Students to Work Independently (seriously need that for my soon-to-be 5th grader so I can spend more time with my up and coming 3rd and 1st graders).

After that, I'm debating between a sit down dinner or a quick bite so I can explore the exhibit hall when it opens - guess it will depend on how I feel after 8 hours of driving and several workshops :blink:

I'll make sure to get on my plaid ribbon...if I don't forget :tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...

I got a red plaid ribbon from Joanne's fabric store. I am also going to go to the first SWB lecture. For the first day at least I will probably be walking around with my All about reading tote(as that is my fav tote:001_smile:) with a red plaid ribbon tied around the handle.

I am getting soooo excited!

I got a red plaid ribbon from Joanne's fabric store. I am also going to go to the first SWB lecture. For the first day at least I will probably be walking around with my All about reading tote(as that is my fav tote:001_smile:) with a red plaid ribbon tied around the handle.

I am getting soooo excited!

You know that the schedule changed, right? SWB doesn't speak until Friday. Is that the lecture you're talking about?

No, I will have to look at the schedule again.

Have you been to a convention before? Do they give us a booklet with the workshop description and schedule when we check in?

ETA: I just checked the schedule. So I will be going to Andrew Pudewa? (The IEW guy's) first session, Friday, and SWB's first session on Saturday. I think I will be at most of SWB's workshops as ds is heading into Logic, and writing is the main subject we struggle with.

Anyone who has been around awhile that has looked at the schedule, who would be good to listen to for Math?

Edited by Northwest_Mama
add something

No, I will have to look at the schedule again.

Have you been to a convention before? Do they give us a booklet with the workshop description and schedule when we check in?

Yes, you get a goody bag with the convention schedule and vendor map.

I was curious....do you have to pay the registration fee for each day that you go, or is one fee good for the whole convention?

Just one fee.

As for meeting up for lunch, I'm not sure. There's no clear lunch break, so I have a feeling that I will just be perpetually wandering between the exhibit hall and the conference rooms. I'm also seeing my grandfather while I'm there, so that cuts my evening availability.

Just a thought. Registration opens at 2 on Thursday. The first session starts at 3:30.

I was going to listen to Andrew Pudewa in Grand Ballroom B. That sounds like a big room.

We could get our materials and head there and look through our books and chat, get to see faces. Exchange numbers if we want for lunch dates, and I will bring the red plaid ribbon I have. (a spools worth). Those who are staying for that session can stay, and others roam off.

This way we will recognize each other when we are in other sessions etc...

We will also have the final schedule in front of us so we can see if a dinner or lunch would work, even if it is a couple of smaller groups.

I won't be at the convention Thursday. But I'll be there Friday morning. Leaving 29 Palms bright and early to get there by 8:30. :) I'd love to meet more homeschoolers in SoCal. :)

Quick question! Do vendors and the used curriculum sale accept CC normally at conventions? Or is it just cash/check?

Vendors- yes. Used sale? I didn't know they were having one! Where's the info on that? IME, used sales don't take CC.