Menu

Is anyone here going to the Great Homeschool Convention in California in May?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could get our materials and head there and look through our books and chat, get to see faces. Exchange numbers if we want for lunch dates, and I will bring the red plaid ribbon I have. (a spools worth). Those who are staying for that session can stay, and others roam off.

I'm not coming until Friday and I'm carpooling with another awesome hs'ing mom from my local homeschool group (so totally at the mercy of her schedule & we don't have stuff planned out yet). But I'll try to remember some red plaid ribbon to wear and to look for those of you also wearing it. How fun!

Paula

Maybe someone with a smart phone can do a quick post after we meet Thursday with the time and location of our next meet up (for the Friday people)

Also, I don't know if I was clear, but first come first serve:D I am happy to give away lengths of my red plaid ribbon to anyone who wants it:001_smile:.

If the ballroom isn't open, we can meet up right outside of it (Just a back up)

I am leaving shortly. I hope I have internet at the hotel, but I am not a smart phone owner, so if I don't check in I will just be at the meeting point tomorrow.

I have an all about reading bag, it's black with yellow trim and a yellow front pocket. There is a red plaid ribbon tied to it. I am an overweight woman with very dark brown hair, and it's somewhat long.

I have 5 extra lengths of ribbon if anyone couldn't find some. See you then!

I was actually kind of curious to hear him as well, because I knew you were excited about that, so I had just been researching that curriculum. If you have his stuff, I'd love to check it out.

I used to post here, but now I just lurk every now and then. But I just started following you on Pinterest, didn't I?!? It's a small, small world. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting any and all WTM ladies. I'll be at the CiRCE booth, and I am bringing MY mom, so if you want to chat with a lady who has been homeschooling for almost 30 years (wow!!) be sure to come by the booth. She's pretty amazing.

Wow, how did I miss this thread??

First time HSer, first convention...it's disturbing how excited I am to "go look at a bunch of books," as my DH puts it. Maybe it's a mistake that I'm bringing him. (I can see it already: an hour in, "Are we done here?") At least my MIL has the kiddos.

Hope to see some of you there!

Dh really wanted to go so we are here. Unfortunately I had to leave Andrew Pudewa's talk because dd wouldn't crawl around quietly. ;)

The parking at the convention center is $10 each time you come in. I'm not sure about other parking costs as we buy discounted parking vouchers for the structure near the aquarium when we renew our aquarium passes. There are other parking structures nearby but my guess is they are as expensive as at the convention itself.

My Little Wonders ( or anyone else who's there)

Are there places in the convention hall to get lunch/ dinner, or do you have to go outside the Convention Center?

Trying to mentally plan out my day tomorrow :)

Bummer about having to leave Andrew's talk :( .

Also, question for all: what speakers/ sessions are you most looking forward to? I am still trying to map out who I most want to hear. I am having to google a bunch of the speakers, because I've never heard of many of them! I don't know how I am going to fit in eating and looking at the exhibits with all of these lecture possibilities :tongue_smilie:

I am leaving shortly. I hope I have internet at the hotel, but I am not a smart phone owner, so if I don't check in I will just be at the meeting point tomorrow.

I have an all about reading bag, it's black with yellow trim and a yellow front pocket. There is a red plaid ribbon tied to it. I am an overweight woman with very dark brown hair, and it's somewhat long.

I have 5 extra lengths of ribbon if anyone couldn't find some. See you then!

I think I was just sitting on the same couch as you outside the rooms on the first floor. My dh was going over his notes from Christopher Perrin's talk and I didn't get a chance to say anything before you left.

I think I was just sitting on the same couch as you outside the rooms on the first floor. My dh was going over his notes from Christopher Perrin's talk and I didn't get a chance to say anything before you left.

Maybe we will run into each other again tomorrow.

Andrew Pudewa was great, so great I am going to get up early and go again tomorrow at 8:30. If anyone sees me, say hi:D My name is Nicole.

I didn't meet anyone today, maybe tomorrow.

I am also going to SWB's 10am talk.

There is a coffee/jamba/pizza thing on the main floor. In the vender hall it looked like there was a place that sold hotdogs.

I am hoping more vendors will be there tomorrow, there were a lot of empty booths tonight.

Nicole, thank you for letting me know the food situation. Sounds like slim pickens! But, maybe like you said,there will be more there tomorrow. I will look for you, too. I am tall, 5 10, brown shoulder length hair, am carrying about 30 lbs too much ( can I still blame it on baby weight after 18 months :tongue_smilie:) and will be in all black tomorrow.

Good to hear about Andrew Pudewa's talk. I am hoping to hear him tomorrow afternoon!

I just figured out my day tomorrow. I will be listening to SWB's talk from 1-2 and then I am going across the street for lunch.

So 2pm, I will go to the bottom of the main stair case. The one opposite the registration desks where the escalators are to go to the ballrooms.

I will wait until 2:10 and then I will be on my way. Anyone who wants to join me, please do. I don't care where I eat, I just want to get out of the convention center for awhile.

I will still have my AAR bag and red plaid ribbon. I didn't see anyone else carrying and AAR tote, so I should be good.

Night all

I just figured out my day tomorrow. I will be listening to SWB's talk from 1-2 and then I am going across the street for lunch.

So 2pm, I will go to the bottom of the main stair case. The one opposite the registration desks where the escalators are to go to the ballrooms.

I will wait until 2:10 and then I will be on my way. Anyone who wants to join me, please do. I don't care where I eat, I just want to get out of the convention center for awhile.

I will still have my AAR bag and red plaid ribbon. I didn't see anyone else carrying and AAR tote, so I should be good.

Night all

I have a 2:30 session planned, so I'll have to pass. I hope you're able to connect with someone for lunch!

SO worth going to this conference- I am exhausted from listening to so many great speakers and getting ready to do it again Saturday. Was there all day, and have to say I didn't see ANY red plaid. I wore a little red plaid ribbon and didn't see anyone else:confused: But I'm with another local hs mom, so I'm not lonely;)

I'll be keeping my eyes out, though, for you guys. My hs friend is hardcore- we didn't even get out to eat lunch. I had to resort to the expensive food inside---- I would much prefer grabbing a bite outside within walking distance.

Nicole- if I can I'll try to go to lunch with you :)

Paula

I am loving all the speakers, and having the best time! But, I looked all day for plaid ribbons, and didn't see any. Hoping to meet at least one person from here tomorrow.

Was anyone else in SWB's last talk this afternoon? It was amazing! So much wisdom to glean!

Today was much better! Dd sat through Catherine Levinson's talk this morning (we were late and didn't get there until the 11:30 session. I also was able to see Christopher Perrin - I really like him. Unfortunately we had to leave early as we had dinner plans with my parents. But, we will be there tomorrow. Dh is really looking forward to seeing SWB (as am I), and I'm looking forward to buying some CDs of talks we missed. In all, despite my not wanting to go, I am glad dh talked me into it. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention - dh saw Jim Weiss twice today and loves him (we already love listening to his audio books). He took the boys to the Sherlock Holmes talk and now the older two are so into S.H. I'm thinking I need to add the book to our reading list this year.

ETA: We eat on-site with food we bring. We have too many food restrictions (at least it feels that way at times) to hassle with eating out.

I am loving all the speakers, and having the best time! But, I looked all day for plaid ribbons, and didn't see any. Hoping to meet at least one person from here tomorrow.

Was anyone else in SWB's last talk this afternoon? It was amazing! So much wisdom to glean!

There were 3 of us on the aisle in the first few rows. I have got to meet a few hive members and the are all nice.

I haven't seen any other plaid, but mine is tied around my bag. If you see me come and say hi.

I tend to sit toward the front.

My plan tomorrow will be 8:30 Adam Andrews in Ballroom B

1pm Andrew Pudewa in ballroom B

4pm SWB in Ballroom B

I am thinking of going to Martin Cothran at 10 and Catherine Levison at 2:30, but I may be tired of sitting at that point.

I am going to wear a sea foam green shirt tomorrow with greenish cargo pants. I will have my black tote with the yellow trim and pocket.

Oh, and whenever the 10-11 session gets out, I am going to get a cup of coffee and sit in that area for 20 min or so and caffeinate myself, longer if someone comes to chat:D

I LOVED SWB's last talk today, it was wonderful! All her talks were great, but that one made me feel so much better about the path I am on.

Edited by Northwest_Mama

There were 3 of us on the aisle in the first few rows. I have got to meet a few hive members and the are all nice.

It was nice to meet you, Dolphin! I'm the one that enjoys the decor as much as you do. :lol:

It was great to meet you both! (I was the one in the Great Gatsby t-shirt.) :)

I will be going to Martin Cothran's talk, so maybe I 'll see you there :) . I have been sitting in the back ( I have commitment issues; I want to be able to slip out if I'm not getting into the talk:) . But, I know I'll like his talk, so I'll try and join you in the front:).

Laura

I haven't seen any other plaid, but mine is tied around my bag. If you see me come and say hi.

I tend to sit toward the front.

My plan tomorrow will be 8:30 Adam Andrews in Ballroom B

1pm Andrew Pudewa in ballroom B

4pm SWB in Ballroom B

I am thinking of going to Martin Cothran at 10 and Catherine Levison at 2:30, but I may be tired of sitting at that point.

I am going to wear a sea foam green shirt tomorrow with greenish cargo pants. I will have my black tote with the yellow trim and pocket.

Oh, and whenever the 10-11 session gets out, I am going to get a cup of coffee and sit in that area for 20 min or so and caffeinate myself, longer if someone comes to chat:D

I LOVED SWB's last talk today, it was wonderful! All her talks were great, but that one made me feel so much better about the path I am on.

I arrived just in time for SWB's 5:30 session and she was wonderful!! I was so inspired by her talk.

Sugar Plum, I saw you! I just knew someone with that shirt would be a kindred spirit, I should have gone and talked to you. I am kind of shy, I already went to 2 complete strangers and asked them if they were from the WTM boards and got blank looks...so I gave up....:tongue_smilie:

I'm going to meet up with Dolphin after the 10 a.m session on Sat, hopefully I will meet up with some of you, too. I have longish red hair and am carrying one of those B&N book bags- white with quotes from books in blue on it. I didn't have a ribbon, but maybe I can find something by tomorrow.

I'm going to Kathy's talk this morning!

I am wearing my plaid ribbon like a bracelet today. I'm heavy set blonde with glasses in jeans and gray tshirt over black lond sleeve and looking really tired- been dealing with some family stuff and up late past 1 a.m. Every night- but wasn't going to miss the conference!

Will be looking again for the plaid:001_smile: and will try to swing to the cafe today around 11ish to see if I can connect-Jen come out of hiding:001_smile:Would love to meet other oc wtm'ers!

Paula

It was nice to meet you, Dolphin! I'm the one that enjoys the decor as much as you do. :lol:

It was great to meet you both! (I was the one in the Great Gatsby t-shirt.) :)

It was fun talking to both of you too! If you are free at 11, head to the cafe and have coffee.

I will be going to Martin Cothran's talk, so maybe I 'll see you there :) . I have been sitting in the back ( I have commitment issues; I want to be able to slip out if I'm not getting into the talk:) . But, I know I'll like his talk, so I'll try and join you in the front:).

Laura

Ok Laura, look for me, my name is Nicole. I will sit in the back for that talk. I understand commitment issues. If he is not brilliant I might have to head back to the ballroom:001_smile: I hear he is a good speaker though.

Sugar Plum, I saw you! I just knew someone with that shirt would be a kindred spirit, I should have gone and talked to you. I am kind of shy, I already went to 2 complete strangers and asked them if they were from the WTM boards and got blank looks...so I gave up....:tongue_smilie:

If you see me today, say hi! I'm carrying a To Kill a Mockingbird bag from B&N , and will be wearing a t-shirt with a vintage image about donuts. (What a silly sentence. :))

I'm going to meet up with Dolphin after the 10 a.m session on Sat, hopefully I will meet up with some of you, too. I have longish red hair and am carrying one of those B&N book bags- white with quotes from books in blue on it. I didn't have a ribbon, but maybe I can find something by tomorrow.

It was fun talking to both of you too! If you are free at 11, head to the cafe and have coffee.

I will likely see you both for coffee, though I do need to pick up something in the exhibitor hall during that window.

Did anyone get to my sil's talks? Kathy Kuhl?

Yes, she's AMAZING!!!!!! I'm going to have to contact her later with more questions. What a blessing that she's willing to share her knowledge and journey with others.

I am processing all the wonderful sessions and things I learned. And it was GREAT to meet up with the WTM group for coffee.

For my first homeschool convention, it will be hard to top this! I went to 3 of SWB's lectures:D It is well worth seeing her in person. She's very inspiring!

Paula

I went on Saturday on a whim. I didn't realize how cool Long Beach was. Next time I will make more of an adventure of it.

I finally got stuff that I had my eye on for years but never made the plunge.

So 'fess up! What did you all get? Here is my list of shame ...

Atlier Level 5

Atlier Leve 1 Module A

Discovery Scopes x 2

Maps Charts and Graphs D, E, G, and H

MUS Pre-Algebra (everything)

4D Science Animal Cell Model

4D Science Plant Cell Model

AVKO Level 1 DVD

AVKO Level 2 DVD

Sonlight Core F

Sonlight Science F

We had a good time (though unfortunately lost our iPad 1 at the very end :( :( ). SWB is phenomenal! I have a few of our lecture on audio, but have never been able to see her in person. What a pleasure. :) SWB and Jim Weiss make up for losing the iPad.

We bought quite a few CDs at the end - SWB, Jim Weiss, Sonya Shafer, Adam Andrews, Christopher Perrin, and Martin Cothran. (Oh, and an aside ... my boys, especially the older two, were star-struck when they met Dr. Perrin!) They were also a bit star-struck meeting Jim Weiss. ;)

In terms of buying, I did pretty good. It was distracting going down there with kids (they LOVED the Timberdoodle booth and talked us into 2 sets of Mashoonga swords), but there were a couple times I was able to slip down there with only the baby. Here's my short list (I realized I forgot to pick up the New American Cursive level 1 book for ds#3 from Memoria Press):

Reading Road Maps (Center for Lit; Adam Andrews - his son Aaron was the sweetest)

Hours in the Out-of-Doors (Simple Charlotte Mason)

5 Jim Weiss audio books (it was buy 4, get one free ;) )

Lost Tools of Writing (Circe - this was more for me at the moment but the plans are to use it with the kids)

WWS 1 student & teacher manual (we have the student book on the iPad, but I realized ds#1 would probably benefit from having a print copy because it's bigger and he can flip back and forth pages more easily)

Potty Time DVD (Signing Time)

a couple books from Ed Zaccarro (only one written by him on statistics - dh wanted this one as he just finished teaching AP Stats)

I think that covers it. LOL

I had a great time! I met so many kind people.

I was happy to find Maestro Classics CDs, but mostly bought from Beautiful Feet. I got to look through a lot of books I've been considering for high school and ask a lot of specific questions (that were finally answered, YAY).

I'm going through my crazy notes today. I got so much out of the lectures, I don't want to forget why I wrote some of this stuff down. :001_smile:

I ate lunch with two WTMers. That was a real treat! I never did see the ribbon though...

I was the girl with the pink ponytail. I kept look at everyone and thinking they might look like an avatar pic I've seen. :tongue_smilie:

I'm feeling tired today, but very inspired. Hope you all had a good time too!

So 'fess up! What did you all get?

My daughter and I went on Friday for the day. We had such a great time!

I didn't buy too much, but I enjoyed looking at everything. I bought The History of the Medieval World for my daughter and then I went a little crazy at the Timberdoodle Booth. It is my youngest son's birthday tomorrow, and my daughter and I saw so much we thought he would enjoy. It was hard for us to choose, but I think we picked out some good gifts for him. I know he will love the magnetic putty we picked up.