Menu

Nourishing Traditions?

Have you read this? What are your thoughts? I just got it and am reading through the Fats section. Much of it makes sense to me, but I am struggling with reconciling what I have previously been taught about nutrition.

Just curious if anyone else was reading it and wanted to talk about it :D.

I gave it to DD31 and her dh as a gift when one of her physicians recommended it to her AND lent them her copy till they received their own.

I am unable to conduct a conversation about the book as I only know bits and pieces that DD31 has passionately spoken to me about --but I do know that dd calls it one 'those' life changing books.

I know that since she and her dh first became aware of the book, every single idea they had about food, eating and nutrition has changed -- for the better.

DD was almost 100% disabled when she began reading the book -- she had just begun treatment for Lyme Disease and a whole host of other maladies. That was 7 years ago. She and her dh began to systemically change their way of life and the way they ate and I know they have re-read the book many times over.

Today -- dd is probably almost 95% improved and on her way back to the life that she and her dh had envisioned for themselves. She is preparing to return to med school and complete her rotations - she had left med school at the end of year two when she had passed her boards and then literally went to bed and we doubted she would ever again be able to live unassisted.

Whenever I see that book at Barnes and Noble or on any shelf anywhere, I have to smile. :) Enjoy.

Have you read this? What are your thoughts? I just got it and am reading through the Fats section. Much of it makes sense to me, but I am struggling with reconciling what I have previously been taught about nutrition.

I love that book.

I read it a number of years ago (I have a copy), but I was already on the bandwagon against hydrogenated fats and for good saturated fats and had been for awhile (and many people thought I was nuts at the time - my stepmom and I went rounds a few times about her feeding my young ds stuff with hydrogenated fats in it). The main fats I use are coconut oil, butter and olive oil.

I really like it, though I don't really follow it at all (partially because I'm lazy, partially because I'm a vegetarian). But it does make a lot of sense to me. Even the meat-eating part :)

The breakfast porridge is what I make every day in the winter. It's so easy (so long as I remember to soak it overnight) and really good.

I am trying to implement that way of eating right now. I no longer trust any nutrition advice I was taught in school or the FDA.

Good for you! :D

The best way to implement it is to make a weekly schedule of when you are going to soak things and how often you need to care for your fermented foods (such as the sourdoughs, kombucha, etc).

I have made just about every kind of food she has a recipe for, although not all the recipes. It is more about changing the way foods are prepared than following the exact recipes, which can get quite expensive.

Eat Fat Lose Fat by the same author has specific schedules to follow, but they are expensive as well.

Glad there is quite a bit of interest. I was surprised by how cheap the book was on amazon last week when I bought it.

So, what is the best place to start as a family? If you had to advise me to do one thing for breakfast, what would it be?

I am not far enough into it to fully know what to ask about. :)

I love the book, with some caveats: I do not believe that any way of eating will keep us perfectly healthy and living forever in peace and harmony. As a Christian, I must acknowledge the results of the fall on the world. That being said, I agree with most everything they say about food, though I can't eat much of it (due to wheat and dairy issues). That being said, it has been life-changing. :)

I liked the book overall. From what I've looked into on traditional foods, some of the grain soaking stuff is controversial - some people don't think it makes a significant difference in most instances.

I also found I got a bit annoyed at some of her generalizations - she kept pointing out how our "hunter-gatherer ancestors" had diets that included a lot of meat, which really depends a lot on where one's ancestors came from.

I got it a few years back and love it. It is my go-to for all nutrition questions. It's so much more than a cookbook - it's a course in nutrition.

i own it. i love the soaking grains bit, but i tend to eat mainly vegetarian, ...so my diet doesn't jive with much of it, lol.

i would highly recommend mothering.com forums and visiting the sub-forum of traditional foods. the practices in nourishing traditions is shared in depth there and the ladies are incredibly helpful. that is my favorite place for info anyway. hth.

That's probably true. I'm convinced I came from meat eating ancestors though (so that part spoke to me). :D

This is one part where I am on the "other side." I do not crave meat much. Some days though I do want some, then I can go without it for days. During the summer heat, I can live on fruit, veggies and ice cream. :001_smile:

There was some research done on this issue and if I remember correctly, it's dependent on either sympathetic or parasympathetic nervous systems. One cannot live without the meat, the other does not necessarily need it.

Love this book. I have had it for a few years now and we have slowly been changing our eating habits based on her advice. I agree with what a previous poster said about the recipes not being anything special (although there are some good ones), but the main point is the way food is prepared and the ingredients used.

DH is still not convinced on the raw dairy, but he does agree to buying non homogenized milk, so at least it's a start. :)

I didn't believe what she had to say about the animal products and couldn't figure out what one of her footnotes actually meant. :glare: But I did find the non-animal sections an interesting read. I probably won't pick it up often since we're moving more towards the raw vegan style, sorta-kinda. I think it would have been nice if I could have bought a third of the book for a third of the price, but it all contributes to the evolution of my thinking, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Rosie

A good ferment to start with is the Apple Butter. If you are accustomed to eating sweet things, you and your family may find that you don't care for the taste of the ferments.

My son, especially, loved the apple butter recipe from NT.

It is the only ferment my kids'll touch willingly. You can also look at other ferment recipes online. I found a sour kraut recipe with red cabbage and apple which went over somewhat better than that plain green cabbage variety.

I don't really soak my grains - we are gluten free here and that is quite enough work on that front!

We have been drinking raw milk for a couple of years and we purchase pasture-fed eggs and meat.

The quality meat does lead to a higher food bill, but I try to offset it by cooking cheaper cuts of meat (pot roast anyone?), ground beef, and whole chickens rather than parts.

Sandra

I thought it made a lot of sense. I never cared for the low-fat bandwagon. From a Christian perspective, I figured that if milk was meant to be fat-free, God would have made it that way. I like how it stands up for eating real, whole foods. I haven't made a ton of the recipes, and some of them are a little weird (I have heard people say that there are better traditional foods cookbooks out there), but the basic premises are fantastic, IMO, and so are the basic directions for things like yogurt and stock. I like how it shows you how to get the most out of the food you have.

I really enjoy the quotes and sidebars in the book. They're interesting and really validate a lifestyle based on whole foods. One of the coolest things that is repeated throughout the book is the premise that it didn't matter if a culture ate mostly meat, little meat, fish, mostly grains, etc.; what they all had in common was that their food was largely unprocessed, and they all had fantastic health. What I took away from it: eat what foods/food groups you enjoy, but eat them as unprocessed as possible.