Menu

Washington, DC...planning a trip...need your input

We will be planning a trip to Washington, DC either next year or the year after. It will be mostly for educational purposes although my dh's mother is in assisted living in the area as well as his sister and her family.

What would you recommend we see in this governmental power house of a city? And, the history!

Here are some ideas I have, even before researching.

1. Air and Space Museum ( I forgot what it's called)

2. Smithsonian

3. Art Museum

4. White House (at least we can walk by it)

5. Library of Congress

6. Mt. Vernon

7. Congress

8. Holocaust Museum

9. Lincoln Memorial

10. Washington Monument

11. The "Wall"

12. My sister mentioned a little museum, can't remember the name, in which some of the original manuscripts for Shakespeare's works are kept.

What other tours/attractions are there? What would you recommend and why? I know we can't see everything. My sister who lived there for a time advised us not to go in the summer as it's so busy and HOT and she knows I don't like super hot temps. Would it be cheaper to go "off season"? When? Maybe Oct to Feb she suggested. Hotel recommendations? We'd stay maybe 5-6 nights. We can take the metro if there's a better deal for hotels. Where? Tysons Corner, Falls Church?

For what do you need advance tickets? I'd like to "map" out our days (like Disney) as efficiently as possible. So, try to combine places that are logistically close to one another.

Restaurants....don't want to spend a ton of money on "downtown" premium restaurants.

:bigear:

Suggestions from you I'm adding (with more to come):

Bureau of Printing and Engraving

Spy Museum

Edited by sheryl

so i don't know about restaurants and hotels, and the washington monument is closed indefinitely because of the earthquake, but i'd get a good map (online or through triple-a) and map out a plan.

we parked north of the city, took the metro in, got out near the smithsonian, walked to jefferson memorial, then came back and did the ww2, vietnam, lincoln memorials, then by the white house before ending at as many smithsonians as we could before we were spent.

it's a great city and there are many books (check your library) that give details about each site.

there's the folger shakespeare library (with great events, if you're into shakespeare i'd plan my trip around one of those, usually held on a sunday) and the met is fun if you've studied any of the works there.

great city. and mount vernon is not too far south of d.c. and has a great tour, including a "national treasure 2" tour for a few extra dollars if your kids enjoyed that movie.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses yet.

If you'd like to see the pandas, the zoo would be in order, but parking costs even though admission is free. $15 first three hours, $20 after three hours.

Smithsonian

www.si.edu/

Why am I assuming you've looked at this?

It will most likely be chilly or just plain cold if you go in the late fall through March.

If there are any holidays in your schedule, well, I'd reschedule. We went to the zoo on Presidents Day one year, busy and crowded.

It is very, very expensive to eat, even in the little "not premium" eateries. We take food with us, leave it in the vehicle in a cooler.

Some places you cannot take stuff in with you, like the Washington Monument, but it was damaged during the earthquake...so I don't even know if this applies. Someone posted about this one other time, that if you leave your stuff outside on the ground or whatever, people rifle through it!!!

Bureau of Engraving and Printing...here you need a reservation, or so I heard.

October would be a good time of year to go.

If you can, go out a little further for your big meal. In the Kensington area there are lots of places to eat.

It sounds like you have a lot of research to do.;)

Due to the fact that there are five of us and we need more than one hotel room, we chose to go with renting a home with vrbo. We stayed here and loved it. We just drove into the city each day rather than take the metro, it was surprisingly easy. We saved money by carrying in our lunches. We went in July, and yes, it was extremely hot and crowded. If you can avoid going then, I would. My oldest liked the Spy Museum, and all of us liked the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (didn't see those on your list). Mount Vernon was also great. We had a great time, I'm sure you will, too!

How many days are you going for? There is a lot of walking involved and not much close in parking, so you do want to spread this out over a long period, or chop the list down. It's a hard city to only see in two or three days.

Don't go in May! We were just there...school tour groups everywhere, not enough chaperones, and constant frackus of poorly behaved kids. Though we were grateful to have been able to go, I surely would have enjoyed it more without the numerous times I was nearly knocked over while minding my own business.

You could take the kids to meet with your congressman. Sometimes it works out, sometimes you only meet a staffer. But, it is usually very interesting.

There are also tours of the Whitehouse.

I've heard the Spy museum is really neat.

Faith

Well "art museum" is pretty general. We have many art museums. There's the National Gallery, which has two buildings, the Hirshhorn (modern and contemporary, especially sculpture), the Sackler and Freer (early 20th c. American and Asian), African Art (duh), Dumbarton House (Byzantine, Pre-Columbian, etc.), American Art and Portrait Gallery (another duh), the Phillips (early modern), the Kreeger (modern and some contemporary)... There are a few others too, but that's my highlights...

So... it depends on what sort of art you want to see.

The Star Spangled banner--I assume is still on display at museum of Amer. History, I think.

Drive or walk around the monuments lit up at night--beautiful and very romantic. ;)

See if there is a military band or Sea Chanters concert going on--free, good quality and patriotic.

Catch a lovely view of Lincoln, washington and the Cap all lined up if you drive south on GW parkway and kinda look back over your shoulder. Okay, obscure, but it's lovely.

Yes to Changing of Guard.

The war memorials are nice--the Korean is really eerie, especially lit up at night.

Of course, the National Archives to see the D of I, IF it's on display. Call first to see what they have displayed.

Enjoy!

We recently got back from a trip to D.C. - I don't have time now, but I'll try to get back and give you the run-down of what we did. Do you need lodging?

That would be great, Susan. Thanks!

Well "art museum" is pretty general. We have many art museums. There's the National Gallery, which has two buildings, the Hirshhorn (modern and contemporary, especially sculpture), the Sackler and Freer (early 20th c. American and Asian), African Art (duh), Dumbarton House (Byzantine, Pre-Columbian, etc.), American Art and Portrait Gallery (another duh), the Phillips (early modern), the Kreeger (modern and some contemporary)... There are a few others too, but that's my highlights...

So... it depends on what sort of art you want to see.

Ah, yes, it's been 23 years since I've been to DC.....so I didn't realize there were so many art museums. I believe, from your descriptions, it would be the National Gallery. Thanks much for your input!!!

Contact your senators office for a tour of the capitol. They will have one of their staff give you a private tour. We loved it and the staff member took us to places the regular tours didn't do. They will also give you passes to the house and senate chambers so you can see them in session.

When we asked our kids what they liked best, they said the monuments at night. It was my favorite part too. Prepare to walk. It is two miles from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial.

We also loved the Air and Space Museum, American History Museum and the Natural History Museum (their rock collection is incredible.) There is also a second air and space museum at one of the airports that I wish we would have had time to see. Also, when it comes time to eat the Air and Space Museum has a McDonalds in it which comes in handy if you just need a little pick me up. This came in handy when we where scheduled for the tour of the capitol. (If you go into the capitol or White House tours you can not carry in much at all including my handbag.) The food places in the other museums are way, way over priced. My son is still talking about the $3.00 banana.

National Archieves was cool too. You can get passes for this that will help you shorten your time in line.

If you want to tour the White House, contact your senators office way in advance. Even then only about 25% of requests are honored.

Union Station is a fun place to go if you are looking for a variety of food for everyone at fairly inexpensive prices. It is like a huge food court downstairs. Just be prepared for crowds if there are a lot of school kids in town. My kids blended in with all the groups so it was hard to spot them at times.

A lodging option: http://mysite.verizon.net/igh_dc/

We like the Botanical Garden beside the Capitol (to the right if you're standing on the Mall).

I would personally choose a travel date in October or April (if choosing from the months recommended to you). Cold, wet weather in DC is depressing if you're trying to walk on the Mall between museums.

ETA: Oops, you said Oct. - Feb.; I'd choose Oct. or maybe Nov.

Edited by LAS in LA
mistake

Another cool place to hit is Ford's Theatre and the home across the street where Lincoln died. When we went to DC the first time we came up out of the subway and hit this first. There was a 20 minute talk and then we went to the basement to see the museum. It is only a few blocks from the mall.

On our second trip to DC we had contacted our state rep and though we didn't meet him we did go to his office and then went on a tour of the capital with one of his staffers. We traveled through the tunnel between his office and the capitol and then had a great tour led by him.

One day we also packed a lunch and ate at the Theodore Roosevelt Island national Memorial....it is a wonderful wooded island in the middle of the Potomac and not far from from the mall....It was really fun to find such a natural place in the middle of a huge city.

My husband went on a tour of the state department while my dds and I opted out and went to an art gallery. He still talks about how cool it was to see the desk with which they used to sign the declaration of Independence.

Oh, and I agree that the monuments at night are spectacular! Plus when we went we could actually find parking at night along the mall...don't now if that has changed since we went in 2001.

A good idea is to use a map and figure out what you want to do in a certain area...such as the capitol, Library of congress and the Supreme Court...all fairly close together. The Smithsonians, White house and Washington monument more in the center and the memorials on the other end.

It is a fabulous trip to do with your family! We loved it so much that we made two trips from Oregon with our girls.

Edited by Reesegirl

We loved:

The National Archives: not just the major documents. When we were there they had a special exhibit on the school lives of the presidents, displaying grade school handwriting assignments, yearbook pictures, etc. There were also many other interesting letters and documents to see that were fascinating.

All of the Smithsonians: I won't even go into detail as these are well known and you'll see them all along the mall.

The Spy Museum: Lots of fun, particularly since my kids had a huge "spy" phase not too long before we went there.

Folger Shakespeare library.

We also found free performances at the Kennedy Center (I think every night). We saw a performance of "Comedy of Errors" there.

So much to do and see, but fortunately it is all so close together. Enjoy!

Don't know if the National Cathedral is going to be open to the public by then (damaged in the earthquake), but my guess is that it will. It's really quite fascinating--taking a tour would be best. You can see the gargoyles (including the Darth Vadar one!), the stained glass window that has the space rock in it, and the pew decoration that is a snake with Hitler's head, among other things. It's an active church, so go when it's not a Sunday or a Wednesday. There's several cool chapels off the main nave, and a crypt, too. AND a neat bookstore. If you call ahead, you can even do a brass rubbing, which makes an excellent souvenir. The gardens are lovely--and there's an herb shop (which may be closed now--can't remember). There's a sandwich/salad place at the top, too, which is usually open for lunch and less $ than most of DC restaurants, and affords a good view of the city (the Cathedral is the tallest building in the city and nothing is allowed to be taller).

Don't know if the National Cathedral is going to be open to the public by then (damaged in the earthquake), but my guess is that it will. It's really quite fascinating--taking a tour would be best. You can see the gargoyles (including the Darth Vadar one!), the stained glass window that has the space rock in it, and the pew decoration that is a snake with Hitler's head, among other things. It's an active church, so go when it's not a Sunday or a Wednesday. There's several cool chapels off the main nave, and a crypt, too. AND a neat bookstore. If you call ahead, you can even do a brass rubbing, which makes an excellent souvenir. The gardens are lovely--and there's an herb shop (which may be closed now--can't remember). There's a sandwich/salad place at the top, too, which is usually open for lunch and less $ than most of DC restaurants, and affords a good view of the city (the Cathedral is the tallest building in the city and nothing is allowed to be taller).

I think the crane they were using to fix the spires damaged in the quake fell on the herb shop! The National Cathedral has had a tough month!

Mary

No one has mentioned the National Museum of the American Indian yet? It's one of our faves! This one is on the Mall with all of the other big Smithsonian museums. And if you do have the extra cash, the cafeteria in the museum is AWESOME. You can try native cuisine from different geographical regions (they even have lots of choices for different dietary considerations, such as gluten-free or vegetarian). Downside, of course, is that it's pricey. But well worth it for a splurge, IMO.

And yeah, don't visit here in the summer. UGH. Hot and humid. But remember that, even though our winters are relatively mild, we do get the occasional nasty storm in the winter--and it absolutely shut downs the city. So I would try visiting in spring or fall, if possible. Just try to keep in mind that you do a lot of walking in this town. I love the Metro, but it's not like the NYC subway system where you can get on or off on practically any corner of any street.

Here's what we did:

National Archives - we only saw the Big Three docs due to time and toddler issues. But there were other rooms to explore which would have been fun. People will act like lemings and follow around in a big line, despite the fact that security kept telling people NOT to line up and simply walk to the document they wanted to see. We followed their advice and enjoyed the docs in time-reversed order, despite dirty looks from the people who insisted on standing in line. :glare:

Holocaust Memorial - I didn't make it there (was keeping the littles entertained at the American History Museum) but everyone else said it was amazing and an absolute must-see.

Library of Congress - stunning art and architecture. Gutenberg Bible and Thomas Jefferson's library on display. I could've spent an hour just looking at the ceilings.

Supreme Court building - right next door to the Library of Congress. There's a hallway of displays and a short 25min film that you can watch. Then go upstairs to peek into the main courtroom (not in session when we were there) and see the grand hall.

National Gallery - there's just not enough time. I went back twice (5 hours total) and still had to skip 1/3 of the building. Didn't even make it to the modern art building.

Moonlight Monuments tour - Old Towne Trolley drives around giving interesting information and stories while showing the monuments all lit up. We got out at the Jefferson, Iwo Jima, and Lincoln/Korean/Vietnam Memorials, and drove/stopped at the rest. It is very expensive, but worth it, IMO, vs. having to drive/park or walk to all the monuments.

Arlington National Cemetery - we took the step on/step off Tourmobile ride for this - nice especially because it started to rain at the end. Many many groups were walking, though, so it's definitely do-able - we had littles and grandma and grandpa with us, so the ride helped a lot. I would have loved to stay longer, especially around the Lee Mansion and gardens. The view of D.C. from the house are stunning.

Old Post Office Pavilion - this is a nice, free ride up to the bell tower, great views of the city. Washington Monument was closed when we were there.

White House tour and Capitol Building - these were nice, historically significant places to see. It took us as long to get through security at the White House as it did to tour the place (they had an issue w/16yods who is 6'2" and put up a stink because he had no photo I.D.) Capitol Building tour was very nice, but I think it would've been better with a personal tour. Check around with your Senators and Reps and see if any of them offer personal staff tours. Ours didn't, but did get us passes into the House Gallery (not in session).

Spy Museum - very fascinating - tons of history that goes way back. Especially interesting perspective of 20th C. history.

Air and Space - I didn't get here because I wanted to go back to the National Gallery, but everyone else, especially Grandpa, seemed to enjoy it.

American History Museum - Flag on display and the 1st Lady's dresses. I liked the old instruments. The younger ones loved the history of transportation exhibit. The SparkLab! is not anything to make a special trip for, but there are some fun and interesting activities for the 12 and under crowd on the 1st floor.

My personal favorite memories are having a picnic lunch on the National Mall, picnic lunch on a shady bench by the Capitol Building, picnic dinner in the National Gallery Sculpture Garden - they had a free jazz concert that evening, and the Iwo Jima memorial at night. So I liked picnics :). But really I think it's more that we just stopped and sat and the littles ran around in the grass and climbed trees and just enjoyed being in the Nation's Capitol. Plus, there was a guy on the bench w/a "California" accent who also spoke perfect Russian. We think he was a spy ;).

One thing that surprised me is that you can photograph almost everything everywhere (except White House). Even in the National Gallery. Once in a while you'll come across something with a sign that says "no photography", but not often. How cool is that to take a picture of Rembrandt's Self Portrait and all the beautiful architecture in the Library of Congress!?

The National Cathedral was top of my list of must-see places, but was closed due to the earthquake. By the time you take your trip, it should be open :). At different times of the week they have free organ recitals and ringing of the cathedral bells - just check their schedule. Also check the Kennedy Center Millenium Stage for free concerts every evening at 6pm.

We were there the 1st week of September and had wonderful weather (right after Hurricane Irene) - low 80's and very little rain. When it rained it was just a short 15 or 20 minute shower and then it'd clear up. When we go again, I'll plan to go late Sept/early Oct. There were no crowds/lines anywhere at the time we went - after the summer tourists but before school groups, except around the National Mall on Saturday - I'd forgotten it was Labor Day weekend, so it was packed and we were very lucky to find parking anywhere. We ended up parking at Union Station which fortunately had high enough clearance for our 12-passenger van.

Since we had a big group (10 total) we rented a row house in the historic Le Droit Park district (right by Howard University) and drove or took the metro train. For a small group (4 or fewer) I'd love to be in a hotel right near the Mall and/or at a metro station if it had a microwave/fridge or maybe a small kitchenette.

Everyone we ran into - from security guards to people on the subway - was friendly and helpful. The attendants at the Metro rail stations were more than happy to help us figure out how and what kind of tickets to buy and what train to get on. Security in the museums, shops, metro stations, tours, etc. were able to answer all our questions and even appeared pleased when my 5yo would ask questions like "do you sell unicorns here", or announce proudly that she is completely potty trained. It's as though they went through some kind of "Treat Visitors Especially Well" training, (and passed with flying colors).

Here's a map you can print out with the basic layout of the National Mall, plus metro train stations color coded for train service. I printed out a few of these to bring along.

http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Sorry I went so long here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh no! I loved that little shop! Dh had told me last year it was closed, anyway, but I was hoping they'd revive it. I know it's seasonal, but he meant it was no longer a shop. Not sure, tho...

Chris,

I think they still have the shop-I looked at their web site. I checked after I posted and it looks like the crane just winged the side of the roof. Hopefully it will be repaired soon.

Mary

We went earlier this year (June). Yes, it was hot, but not unbearable to us Georgia folks. Over-all the trip was nice, but I was disappointed on several levels.

I was very disappointed with the way the whole mall looked. They were doing some sort of construction or something. There were temporary fences and tents everywhere, and it was very much an eye sore. I envisioned nice, pretty green areas between all the buildings and such. It was definitely NOT what I imagined. So if you're expecting pretty grass and trees and such, be prepared that's not what you'll get.

And make sure you bring lots of hand sanitizer and tissue. I was appalled at the dirtiness, especially the bathrooms. The streets and such were cleaner than I remember NYC being, but several of the bathrooms (not all) were terrible and most of them did not have soap. At the McDonald's close to the zoo, you have to pay a quarter to get into the bathroom. After a very disgusting earlier experience, I happily paid the quarter.:tongue_smilie: But dh found that you could get a token from the counter if you're a customer (we were).

We stayed up in MD and rode the Metro quite a bit. During the day, it wasn't crowded, but when rush hour hits--you'll know how a sardine feels.

Also, if you're taking the Metro, be prepared to encounter escalators that don't work. We had more escalators that didn't work than did, and the lines for elevators were always long.

You should have heard one of the locals fussing loudly (probably aimed at the officials in the booth nearby) about the escalators being down AGAIN and "see what your tax dollars are going toward!" ...he was preaching it! :D I thought it was amusing listening to him rant, but that was when we got off the metro for the first time. After we had climbed about 5 stories worth of escalators (not at the same time), I was heartily agreeing with him.

Don't plan on parking in any decks if your vehicle is over 6 feet tall. Street parking is available, but most of it has a time limit (2 hours, I think), and it's not easy to find a place.

The actual museums and monuments were impressive, but the city itself seemed neglected. The people were friendly. I don't think I encountered anyone that wasn't, but I think the city really needs some serious infrastructure upgrading--which is not likely to happen in this economy, but should have happened years ago!

Aura

If you use the metro, and choose to treat the escalator as a ride, for the love of all that is decent and holy, STAND TO THE RIGHT. Do not let your family span the escalator and stand for a ride. You will block the locals who cherish their right to walk up the left hand side of the escalators. This is not a law, and there are no signs; it's just a fact. If you block the left and hear about it, don't say you weren't warned. You will be called 'escalefters' and publicly scorned. If you count on elevators or escalators, then check the metro website to see which stations have machines under repair that day.

Also, I can't believe nobody mentioned a family tour of IKEA. :lol::lol::lol: The one in College Park is huge and relatively new :D

I was very disappointed with the way the whole mall looked. They were doing some sort of construction or something. There were temporary fences and tents everywhere, and it was very much an eye sore. I envisioned nice, pretty green areas between all the buildings and such. It was definitely NOT what I imagined. So if you're expecting pretty grass and trees and such, be prepared that's not what you'll get.

If you were here in late June it was probably the set up for the annual Smithsonian Festival which is pretty cool, although the set-up isn't so pretty.

You've gotten good advice.

Some others we like that I didn't see mentioned yet:

Renwick Gallery: near White House, free, American craft

Building Museum: Small suggested donation, focuses on architecture and engineering, my husband is an architect so we go there a lot, the building itself is beautiful and it has an enormous central area where kids can run around (sometimes they have model airplane clubs meet there). They also have a cafe and tables but are ok with you bringing in outside food. There is a good playroom for toddlers and younger children that is also free.

Newseum It's pricey, especially compared to all the other free museums. But it's pretty impressive. If you have younger kids it might not be the best place, but for older kids and teens it might be very interesting.

Places to stay:

I often recommend looking along the orange line in Virginia. There is Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Ballston. It's convenient for transportation and there are lots of restaurants and shopping at any of those points.

We often pick places to eat of the Washingtonian Cheap Eats list. http://www.washingtonian.com/sections/restaurants/cheapeats/index.html

Favorites in the city are Jaleo (spanish tapas), Cactus Cantina (across from the Cathedral, excellent Tex-Mex), 2 Amy's (Pizza across from the Cathedral), the cafeteria at the Indian Museum. I also went to the National Gallery museum recently and was surprised by how it was better than expected for a cafeteria. That's not a resounding endorsement but if you need a cafeteria on the mall I'd go there over Air and Space (which is McDonald's) or Natural History which I last remember as being atrocious and expensive.

If you were here in late June it was probably the set up for the annual Smithsonian Festival which is pretty cool, although the set-up isn't so pretty.

You've gotten good advice.

Some others we like that I didn't see mentioned yet:

Renwick Gallery: near White House, free, American craft

Building Museum: Small suggested donation, focuses on architecture and engineering, my husband is an architect so we go there a lot, the building itself is beautiful and it has an enormous central area where kids can run around (sometimes they have model airplane clubs meet there). They also have a cafe and tables but are ok with you bringing in outside food. There is a good playroom for toddlers and younger children that is also free.

Newseum It's pricey, especially compared to all the other free museums. But it's pretty impressive. If you have younger kids it might not be the best place, but for older kids and teens it might be very interesting.

Places to stay:

I often recommend looking along the orange line in Virginia. There is Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, Ballston. It's convenient for transportation and there are lots of restaurants and shopping at any of those points.

We often pick places to eat of the Washingtonian Cheap Eats list. http://www.washingtonian.com/sections/restaurants/cheapeats/index.html

Favorites in the city are Jaleo (spanish tapas), Cactus Cantina (across from the Cathedral, excellent Tex-Mex), 2 Amy's (Pizza across from the Cathedral), the cafeteria at the Indian Museum. I also went to the National Gallery museum recently and was surprised by how it was better than expected for a cafeteria. That's not a resounding endorsement but if you need a cafeteria on the mall I'd go there over Air and Space (which is McDonald's) or Natural History which I last remember as being atrocious and expensive.

Thanks, Alice! Excellent ideas. I so appreciate the tips on restaurants as I'm really not interested in McDonalds every.single.meal. Not expensive, just healthy cheap....:D

If you use the metro, and choose to treat the escalator as a ride, for the love of all that is decent and holy, STAND TO THE RIGHT. Do not let your family span the escalator and stand for a ride. You will block the locals who cherish their right to walk up the left hand side of the escalators. This is not a law, and there are no signs; it's just a fact. If you block the left and hear about it, don't say you weren't warned. You will be called 'escalefters' and publicly scorned. If you count on elevators or escalators, then check the metro website to see which stations have machines under repair that day.

Also, I can't believe nobody mentioned a family tour of IKEA. :lol::lol::lol: The one in College Park is huge and relatively new :D

Noted. That's just the polite thing to do and I appreciate it. I did think it was pretty standard though....when seeing others to stay to the right as in cars passing lanes...still, it's a good reminder. I don't blame them. They have alot of ground to cover and limited in their time, perhaps. Thanks. IKEA....good one.

We went earlier this year (June). Yes, it was hot, but not unbearable to us Georgia folks. Over-all the trip was nice, but I was disappointed on several levels.

And make sure you bring lots of hand sanitizer and tissue. I was appalled at the dirtiness, especially the bathrooms. The streets and such were cleaner than I remember NYC being, but several of the bathrooms (not all) were terrible and most of them did not have soap. At the McDonald's close to the zoo, you have to pay a quarter to get into the bathroom. After a very disgusting earlier experience, I happily paid the quarter.:tongue_smilie: But dh found that you could get a token from the counter if you're a customer (we were).

We stayed up in MD and rode the Metro quite a bit. During the day, it wasn't crowded, but when rush hour hits--you'll know how a sardine feels.

Also, if you're taking the Metro, be prepared to encounter escalators that don't work. We had more escalators that didn't work than did, and the lines for elevators were always long.

You should have heard one of the locals fussing loudly (probably aimed at the officials in the booth nearby) about the escalators being down AGAIN and "see what your tax dollars are going toward!" ...he was preaching it! :D I thought it was amusing listening to him rant, but that was when we got off the metro for the first time. After we had climbed about 5 stories worth of escalators (not at the same time), I was heartily agreeing with him.

Don't plan on parking in any decks if your vehicle is over 6 feet tall. Street parking is available, but most of it has a time limit (2 hours, I think), and it's not easy to find a place.

The actual museums and monuments were impressive, but the city itself seemed neglected. The people were friendly. I don't think I encountered anyone that wasn't, but I think the city really needs some serious infrastructure upgrading--which is not likely to happen in this economy, but should have happened years ago!

Aura

Hand sanitizer...of course. Thanks for the reminder. Ah yes, the potty issue. Well, I do keep germs away, so this may be an issue for us. I would DEFINATELY be willing to pay a reasonable amount for us to use the toilets. Actually, this does lead in with restaurants. If we time it right, we may eat 1 meal a day "out" and use their facilities. Otherwise, is this standard for most establishments to charge?

Are y'all saying it would be hard to find parking for our tourist plans during the work week, say, sometime b/t Oct - Feb or early March BEFORE school spring breaks? IF we stay downtown is it safe? Is their a shuttle bus service or do you walk everywhere? Maybe that would be the way to go. Walking takes time. We'll still be walking, but if there's a shuttle to go b/t "some" of the places, we'd be able to use that time staying longer at our destination spot. Otherwise, I guess we'd stay out a bit.

Going soon ourselves. Only 3 days though. Doing air/space museum and Amer. history (which we are studying this year). If you want to tour the White House, email your state reps. 3-6 mos. in advance to request tickets. It has to go through them. They need at least 35 days to do background checks.

We are not able to do this because we didn't have foreknowledge of this. BUT we do get to tour capitol hill (again contacting your reps). Hoping to get face time too since the SBAA (Spina Bifida Assoc. of America) is trying to set us up with appts. along with their lobbyist to escort us. My son has SB and they love to bring in families as the 'face' of sb. Those others of you with any special needs in your fam. contact your national associations.

VERY COOL! We are excited and nervous. he he

In order of what my family enjoyed the best:

1. National Archives

2. Ford's Theater and Peterson House

3. The Monuments (you could walk most of them in 1/2 a day)

4. US Capitol (tickets required)

5. Smithsonians (American History & Air & Space specifically)

6. Arlington Cemetery (tickets required)

7. Holocaust Museum (tickets required)

8. National Portrait Gallery (get a tour and learn about it's Civil War history)

9. The Spy Museum-especially the gift shop (this one is $)

We stayed in the city near the Capitol using only the Metro for transportation. We did a lot of walking. Everything was further than it looked on the maps. If I did it again I would consider a bus tour or maybe renting a car. :auto:

Are y'all saying it would be hard to find parking for our tourist plans during the work week, say, sometime b/t Oct - Feb or early March BEFORE school spring breaks? IF we stay downtown is it safe? Is their a shuttle bus service or do you walk everywhere? Maybe that would be the way to go. Walking takes time. We'll still be walking, but if there's a shuttle to go b/t "some" of the places, we'd be able to use that time staying longer at our destination spot. Otherwise, I guess we'd stay out a bit.

YES! Parking is difficult. Near the mall there is actually very little parking. There are metered spaces, but it doesn't matter what time of year it is--they fill up fast. I think the closest public parking is L'Enfant Plaza? Of course, this can get pricey, and it's going to be full during the week, too (it's a metro station). I would highly suggest leaving your car at your hotel and surfing the metro, just be prepared for it to be slow and crowded if you can't time your comings-and-goings to avoid rush hour.

Parking is tricky any time of year because so many people pour into the city for work. Rumor is that traffic is actually lighter in the summer. I don't know why. (Fewer school buses? Folks on vacation? Telecommuters hiding from tourists?) i pretty much make a point of going at off-peak times. We have driven in at during the evening with no parking trouble, but we usually get a day pass for the metro. Not only does it prevent parking woes, but once you start walking around you'll realize that going to the nearest metro stop is usually closer than backtracking to your car.

Here's another site we found by accident when we went in for a doctor's appt. It was nice and you can see it in 2 hours if you want a calm break from the city: http://www.myfranciscan.org/ It's called the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America. They built full scale replicas of holy sites like Mary's tomb and Ascension Chapel. They have tours too.

Also, if nobody mentioned the National Arboretum, it's really nice and the parking is free and easy.

Parking is tricky any time of year because so many people pour into the city for work. Rumor is that traffic is actually lighter in the summer. I don't know why. (Fewer school buses? Folks on vacation? Telecommuters hiding from tourists?) i pretty much make a point of going at off-peak times. We have driven in at during the evening with no parking trouble, but we usually get a day pass for the metro. Not only does it prevent parking woes, but once you start walking around you'll realize that going to the nearest metro stop is usually closer than backtracking to your car.

Here's another site we found by accident when we went in for a doctor's appt. It was nice and you can see it in 2 hours if you want a calm break from the city: http://www.myfranciscan.org/ It's called the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America. They built full scale replicas of holy sites like Mary's tomb and Ascension Chapel. They have tours too.

Also, if nobody mentioned the National Arboretum, it's really nice and the parking is free and easy.

Can we buy a day pass? Is it cheaper than going from point A to point B or is it more for people who have multiple destinations in one day?

Also, I like the attraction mentioned above.....THANKS!

YES! Parking is difficult. Near the mall there is actually very little parking. There are metered spaces, but it doesn't matter what time of year it is--they fill up fast. I think the closest public parking is L'Enfant Plaza? Of course, this can get pricey, and it's going to be full during the week, too (it's a metro station). I would highly suggest leaving your car at your hotel and surfing the metro, just be prepared for it to be slow and crowded if you can't time your comings-and-goings to avoid rush hour.

Yes. you and KungFu are saying the same thing about busy and crowded parking any time of the year. Well, to avoid breakins, auto tampering, etc (which happens anywhere...not picking on DC), perhaps the metro is the better choice. I'm confused though. I've taken the metro years ago in DC and in Canada. But, regarding DC, can you navigate the downtown via metro hopping? DC is big, right? I'm not opposed to walking. We walked DW last Nov and it really was not bad at all....1 full day was devoted to each park. We were not exhausted at the end of the day. Little breaks built in. So, we'll walk dt DC, BUT..........if we need to save time or we are tired, raining, or whatnot, can you board the metro at 1 dt location and get off at another point downtown? I'll have to look at the maps y'all have sent me. THANKS!

In order of what my family enjoyed the best:

1. National Archives

2. Ford's Theater and Peterson House

3. The Monuments (you could walk most of them in 1/2 a day)

4. US Capitol (tickets required)

5. Smithsonians (American History & Air & Space specifically)

6. Arlington Cemetery (tickets required)

7. Holocaust Museum (tickets required)

8. National Portrait Gallery (get a tour and learn about it's Civil War history)

9. The Spy Museum-especially the gift shop (this one is $)

We stayed in the city near the Capitol using only the Metro for transportation. We did a lot of walking. Everything was further than it looked on the maps. If I did it again I would consider a bus tour or maybe renting a car. :auto:

Appreciate it! I asked BrookValley if you can take the Metro DT. Is that what you all did? When you said you walked alot; is it going from attraction to metro site and arriving at another metro site to walk again a ways to your next tourist attraction....b/c the metro sites are "removed" from these attractions! I'm going bonkers over this trying to understand AND remember. :tongue_smilie: THANKS!

Going soon ourselves. Only 3 days though. Doing air/space museum and Amer. history (which we are studying this year). If you want to tour the White House, email your state reps. 3-6 mos. in advance to request tickets. It has to go through them. They need at least 35 days to do background checks.

We are not able to do this because we didn't have foreknowledge of this. BUT we do get to tour capitol hill (again contacting your reps). Hoping to get face time too since the SBAA (Spina Bifida Assoc. of America) is trying to set us up with appts. along with their lobbyist to escort us. My son has SB and they love to bring in families as the 'face' of sb. Those others of you with any special needs in your fam. contact your national associations.

VERY COOL! We are excited and nervous. he he

Very good to know. When everyone mentions tickets...these are "buyable" tickets? Are adult/children tickets expensive to the Holocaust Museum and any other museums? THANKS!!

I haven't read many of the responses, but I think your initial list was great. If you are anywhere near Dulles Airport, The Udvar Hazy Museum is amazing for any lovers of flight and generally all people with XY chromosomes. They have an actual space shuttle inside. The Air and Space Museum downtown is the most visited museum in the world (last I heard anyway) and for good reason.

Natural History Museum

American History Museum

Spy Museum

Presentations/Dance/Cafeteria at the National Museum of the American Indian

Hirshorn and Sculpture Garden (for little ones, be prepared for them to want to run-- the spiral nature of the floor plan pretty much demands it. The docents are pretty good about this. They ask you nicely to slow down. lol)

Sackler (fantastic for Asian art) We've also lucked out on programming for kids. Check before you go. The programming we did was free.

Lincoln Memorial

Mount Vernon

Air & Space

I think 'the mint' is a huge waste of time. It's hot, smelly, the docents are cranky, plus you don't get to see much.

The Holocaust Museum is intense. I still haven't taken my youngest (12), although the rest of us have been a couple of times. It's a lot for a young one to take in. There is a kids' tour and I've known people who have done that. Still, be prepared for sobbing.

I personally love Ford's Theater and find I'm not satisfied if I leave DC without a visit. It's less interesting for small children, I think.

Edited by LibraryLover

We just got home yesterday from being on the East Coast, including D.C. Here is what we learned:

Plan at least three days. We only had two days and while we got to see a good bit, another day would have been really nice.

The Air/Space was....eh. Our kids were bored.

The Natural History museum was fun!

The Archives building was our most favorite!!!

The cafe inside of Smithsonian Castle has reasonable food and it's REALLY good!! We did a hot dog cart the first day (2 pretzels, 3 hot dogs, and 3 waters) and it was the same as our meal at the Castle the next day (Greek wrap, Turkey sandwich, sub sandwich, three sodas). Needless to say, the meal at the Castle was MUCH better.

We visited Arlington on our way out of town. Plan plenty of time for that. It is worth the time walking around and I wish we had had more time to spend there.

Due to the fact that there are five of us and we need more than one hotel room,

We stayed at a Homewood suites. All six of us in one suite. Free breakfast. Free reception during the week day evenings that looked like almost a full dinner according to the menu that was on the fridge.

We bought Metrorail fair each day ($24 each day for all of us). The Day Pass was going to be more $ since we were just going from where we parked to the Smithsonian station.

We probably could have parked too and spent less. Before we left town on Monday we drove into downtown so my oldest girls could go to the Archives gift shop again. I found a spot no problem, near lunch time, right across from the Archives building.

We're already planning our next trip and what we want to make time to see!

Aura

I think maybe you just had bad luck. We live "here" so we go into the city ALL the time. It sounds like you came during a time when they were doing lots of maintenance work. It happens, the city is old... something always needs to be fixed.

I envisioned nice, pretty green areas between all the buildings and such. It was definitely NOT what I imagined. So if you're expecting pretty grass and trees and such, be prepared that's not what you'll get.

If you come in the Spring, that's exactly what you will get. With the plus of tulips in bloom all over the Mall area. I L-O-V-E going to DC in April when the tulips are in bloom, they are EVERYWHERE.

Public bathrooms can be dirty, but we hardly ever use them. There is always a museum around with nice, clean bathrooms, just make sure everyone goes potty before heading out to the Memorials.

Yes escalators go out, but it hasn't ever bothered us or been a problem.

Like I said, sorry, but it seems you just had really bad luck. Maybe you should try again ;)

We go in all seasons and each one has it's pros and cons. We spend a LOT of time in the city during the winter. There are hardly ANY tourists at all and we feel like we have whole museums to ourselves. We have even gone into DC on light snow days, or after the snow storm. You can bring in a sled and sled on the slopes of the Capitol Building :) I LOVE walking through the city in the snow!!! We go the least during the summer; only on 4th of July... or if we have guests who want to go. But during the other 3 seasons, we go 3-5 times a month.

LOL, I guess I just really love DC :) I don't think I have ever found it to be neglected. Of course, I'm originally from new Orleans, so that's what I call dirty and/or neglected.... DC is pristine in comparison.

I think DC is one of the easiest cities to navigate. The streets make sense and you can get everywhere by metro. The metro maps are color-coded and so intuitive you could let your child lead the way. Honest!. If you want a good meal, just stop off at the Chinatown station. Cheap, delicious eats to be found.

The tickets are free at the Holocaust museum and Capitol building. We reserved them online.

Most of the attractions are a bit of a walk from the Metro stations. We didn't investigate the Metro bus routes. We bought the unlimited Metro weekly pass which was a mistake because we were there over Memorial Day weekend and could have purchased a cheaper pass. grrr

Our legs were aching at the end of the days. We are very active- swim team, cycling, hiking Pikes Peak several times a year, we all do triathlons... So I was surprised at how exhausted we were at night.

One of my daughters wore Heely (?) shoes which helped when she got tired of walking. Although, the sidewalks were uneven and old. Also she had to put the wheels up at the museums and Arlington.

We took the Metro from the airport. My kids really enjoyed using it for transportation. Living in Colorado Springs we don't experience that kind of life very often. Our hotel was a few blocks from Union Station so we did eat there more than I would have liked but the choices were very limited.

You can get a day pass on the Metro, depending on your plans it's not always less expensive.

You can certainly get on and off the Metro and ride to different destinations, the issue is that for most of the major tourist destinations the easier route is to walk. You can't take the Metro easily from say the Lincoln Memorial hop off at the Washington Monument, and then take it again to the National Gallery. What I would do is try to plan your days around Metro stops/clusters. Also, tourists often assume that the Smithsonian stop is the closest to all the Smithsonian museums. That's not true at all. For example, L'Enfant Plaza is probably closer to Air and Space Museum. Many of the attractions will have a closer Metro stop but one that you have to walk off the main tourist drag and so people don't do that.

Here is a map that shows some of the places and some of the stops. http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasmicons/navicons/map_nationalMalll.gif The various museum and other attraction websites often list the best Metro.

You can also see on this map that the monuments are not close to a Metro stop. http://www.dcmetromap.net/colormap_lettersize.pdf

There are tour buses that you can hop on and off the bus that go to the major sites.

There is a newer Courtyard Marriot near Andrews Air Force base. It's an easy(ish) commute to DC. They have a pool (which is difficult to find in DC itself) , the staff is super-nice, and there is a discount for military folks. Also, mini kitchens in most rooms, with microwaves. Last trip we got the room (two queens, pullout sofa bed) for $99/night.

You do then have to park in DC. We have fed meters and moved the car. ;) I usually find a spot, and it will be easier in winter. The other thing we often do when we don't stay near a metro stop is to pay to park in a DC hotel gargage. It's cheaper than buying multiple people day metro passes (our family is fairly large). I do think it's good to ride the metro at least once if your kids don't have subway experience. :)

oops, wrong hotel link, here's the one I meant:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasaf-towneplace-suites-clinton-at-joint-base-andrews/

Edited by LibraryLover

I haven't read many of the responses, but I think your initial list was great. If you are anywhere near Dulles Airport, The Udvar Hazy Museum is amazing for any lovers of flight and generally all people with XY chromosomes. They have an actual space shuttle inside. The Air and Space Museum downtown is the most visited museum in the world (last I heard anyway) and for good reason.

Thanks for sharing that and also the suggestions.

Natural History Museum

American History Museum

Spy Museum

Presentations/Dance/Cafeteria at the National Museum of the American Indian

Hirshorn and Sculpture Garden (for little ones, be prepared for them to want to run-- the spiral nature of the floor plan pretty much demands it. The docents are pretty good about this. They ask you nicely to slow down. lol)

Sackler (fantastic for Asian art) We've also lucked out on programming for kids. Check before you go. The programming we did was free.

Lincoln Memorial

Mount Vernon

Air & Space

I think 'the mint' is a huge waste of time. It's hot, smelly, the docents are cranky, plus you don't get to see much.

The Holocaust Museum is intense. I still haven't taken my youngest (12), although the rest of us have been a couple of times. It's a lot for a young one to take in. There is a kids' tour and I've known people who have done that. Still, be prepared for sobbing.

I personally love Ford's Theater and find I'm not satisfied if I leave DC without a visit. It's less interesting for small children, I think.

Thanks, LL!!! Yes, the Holocaust Museum is one in which I'm "very" interested in visiting. You are right though. I remember growing up and being on vacation with my parents (I think July and in Colorado..maybe that's not right...anyway) and I saw news reel of the actual "troughs". That image has not left my mind. We do discuss much about Jewish people past and present. That brings up a good point....I'm assuming these are still photos, right? Do they show video footage? Perhaps I should call this one and ask about the adult vs. kid tour. This would be such a rich museum to visit...definately on my short list :001_smile: but I do not want to give my dd nightmares either. Thanks for the tip.

We just got home yesterday from being on the East Coast, including D.C. Here is what we learned:

Plan at least three days. We only had two days and while we got to see a good bit, another day would have been really nice.

The Air/Space was....eh. Our kids were bored.

The Natural History museum was fun!

The Archives building was our most favorite!!!

The cafe inside of Smithsonian Castle has reasonable food and it's REALLY good!! We did a hot dog cart the first day (2 pretzels, 3 hot dogs, and 3 waters) and it was the same as our meal at the Castle the next day (Greek wrap, Turkey sandwich, sub sandwich, three sodas). Needless to say, the meal at the Castle was MUCH better.

We visited Arlington on our way out of town. Plan plenty of time for that. It is worth the time walking around and I wish we had had more time to spend there.

We stayed at a Homewood suites. All six of us in one suite. Free breakfast. Free reception during the week day evenings that looked like almost a full dinner according to the menu that was on the fridge.

We bought Metrorail fair each day ($24 each day for all of us). The Day Pass was going to be more $ since we were just going from where we parked to the Smithsonian station.

We probably could have parked too and spent less. Before we left town on Monday we drove into downtown so my oldest girls could go to the Archives gift shop again. I found a spot no problem, near lunch time, right across from the Archives building.

We're already planning our next trip and what we want to make time to see!

Heather, Glad to know it was a successful and enjoyable trip. Thanks much for all the info. All of these tidbits of info y'all are offering will help make my planning easier.

I think DC is one of the easiest cities to navigate. The streets make sense and you can get everywhere by metro. The metro maps are color-coded and so intuitive you could let your child lead the way. Honest!. If you want a good meal, just stop off at the Chinatown station. Cheap, delicious eats to be found.

This will be one on our list....we'll be on a budget.

The tickets are free at the Holocaust museum and Capitol building. We reserved them online.

Most of the attractions are a bit of a walk from the Metro stations. We didn't investigate the Metro bus routes. We bought the unlimited Metro weekly pass which was a mistake because we were there over Memorial Day weekend and could have purchased a cheaper pass. grrr

Our legs were aching at the end of the days. We are very active- swim team, cycling, hiking Pikes Peak several times a year, we all do triathlons... So I was surprised at how exhausted we were at night.

One of my daughters wore Heely (?) shoes which helped when she got tired of walking. Although, the sidewalks were uneven and old. Also she had to put the wheels up at the museums and Arlington.

We took the Metro from the airport. My kids really enjoyed using it for transportation. Living in Colorado Springs we don't experience that kind of life very often. Our hotel was a few blocks from Union Station so we did eat there more than I would have liked but the choices were very limited.

Again, these are pactical tips that will prove to be useful. THANKS! There is the subway aka metro which connects the "burbs" with DC downtown. Additionally, there are "buses" which transport passengers WITHIN DOWNTOWN, right!?!??! Is it worth taking the buses? I'll look at the links everyone has sent and map it out.

You can get a day pass on the Metro, depending on your plans it's not always less expensive.

You can certainly get on and off the Metro and ride to different destinations, the issue is that for most of the major tourist destinations the easier route is to walk. You can't take the Metro easily from say the Lincoln Memorial hop off at the Washington Monument, and then take it again to the National Gallery. What I would do is try to plan your days around Metro stops/clusters. Also, tourists often assume that the Smithsonian stop is the closest to all the Smithsonian museums. That's not true at all. For example, L'Enfant Plaza is probably closer to Air and Space Museum. Many of the attractions will have a closer Metro stop but one that you have to walk off the main tourist drag and so people don't do that.

Here is a map that shows some of the places and some of the stops. http://www.nasm.si.edu/nasmicons/navicons/map_nationalMalll.gif The various museum and other attraction websites often list the best Metro.

You can also see on this map that the monuments are not close to a Metro stop. http://www.dcmetromap.net/colormap_lettersize.pdf

There are tour buses that you can hop on and off the bus that go to the major sites.

Alice, so appreciative. THANKS! I think I understand a bit more and will have to finalize our plans and make it out. If we stayed "out" and took metro in, would you advise taking the bus from place to place?

There is a newer Courtyard Marriot near Andrews Air Force base. It's an easy(ish) commute to DC, there's a pool, the staff is super-nice, and there is a discount for military folks. Also, mini kitchens in most rooms, with microwaves. Last trip we got the room (two queens, pullout sofa bed) for $99/night.

You do then have to park in DC. We have fed meters and moved the car. ;) I usually find a spot, and it will be easier in winter. The other thing we do when we don't stay near a metro stop is to pay to park in a hotel gargage. It's cheaper than buying multiple people day metro passes.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/travel/waswd-courtyard-waldorf/

:lol: Feed meters....love that. That is something we would normally do, but we will need to maximize our time and will not be able to run back and forth to the care breaking our visit/walking path etc. I don't know, maybe we'll stay downtown. All of these replies have helped so much and I just need to take this entire thread, re-read it and investigate/plan from that. Are the hotels expensive DT? Which one/s would you recommend? Maybe that would be the better route to go. However, if it's more expensive then back to the drawing board. Thanks again....I'm keeping all of these in a folder for our trip.

forgot: the hotel above sounds great for us..like kitchen idea to serve food in and save $$$

:) I did mean I move my car, which is a pain. I usually send dh. ;) However, if we do plan to take a whole day on the mall, or do the bus hopping, we have paid to park in a nearby hotel garage. There is a time limit for spots around the mall. I wish you could leave the car at one meter all day and go out to feed it. ;)

I changed the hotel link. I had the wrong one. We live in MA where there can be some rotten traffic, so DC traffic isn't worse than Boston, say. I prefer to save money staying a little further away. Hotels in DC are pricey, and few have pools (which is nice for kids). Most are rooftop and only open in summer.

--":lol: Feed meters....love that. That is something we would normally do, but we will need to maximize our time and will not be able to run back and forth to the care breaking our visit/walking path etc. I don't know, maybe we'll stay downtown. All of these replies have helped so much and I just need to take this entire thread, re-read it and investigate/plan from that. Are the hotels expensive DT? Which one/s would you recommend? Maybe that would be the better route to go. However, if it's more expensive then back to the drawing board. Thanks again....I'm keeping all of these in a folder for our trip.

forgot: the hotel above sounds great for us..like kitchen idea to serve food in and save $$$

How expensive are the DT garages? Are they "typically" safe?

I am remembering it's usually $20-25/ day. Up to $40, depending. We've never paid $40.

Looking for garages around L'Enfant Plaza is good. There are other areas, but this a major landmark, so easy to plug into the GPS. I may be complicating things for you. lol You're fine in downtown DC.

Of course, L'Enfant Plaza Hotel is a great place to stay. Pricey ;) lol, but really nice and in the heart of things. I have friends who love to stay in Georgetown. Again, pricey, but really nice.

Edited by LibraryLover

Dh just mentioned there is a Metro stop a few minutes away from the hotel I linked. You can park there or take a cab, and he thought the hotel had a shuttle to it, but we can't recall. You could call and ask.

DH also reminded me about the time we stayed in Crystal City, VA. It was a biz trip and the kids were all very small. He was working during the day and I was able to bring the kids into the city alone via Metro without issues. It was right by the hotel. (Not sure what hotel. There are several in the area.) I had the double jogger at the time and I remember there was an elevator in the metro, so manuvering even with all that was not an issue. At least I don't recall any mishaps. ;)

Did anyone mention the National Zoo? That's a must see, even in winter. There are many indoor exhibits.

ETA: DH says that above is not the double jogger trip. lol We had the jogger when we stayed downtown, on another biz trip. I did have a stroller in Crystal City , but not the jogger. lol Does it really matter? I don't know how he can remember this stuff. lol ;) :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Dh just mentioned there is a Metro stop a few minutes away from the hotel I linked. You can park there or take a cab, and he thought maybe the hotel had a shuttle to it, but we can't recall. You could call and ask.

DH also reminded me about the time we stayed in Crystal City, VA. It was a biz trip and the kids were all very small. He was working during the day and I was able to bring the kids into the city alone via Metro without issues. It was right by the hotel. (Not sure what hotel. There are several in the area.) I had the double jogger at the time and I remember there was an elevator in the metro, so manuvering even with all that was not an issue. At least I don't recall any mishaps. ;)

Did anyone mention the National Zoo? That's a must see, even in winter. There are many indoor exhibits.

ETA: DH says that above is not the double jogger trip. lol We had the jogger when we stayed downtown, on another biz trip. I did have a stroller in Crystal City , but not the jogger. lol Does it really matter? I don't know how he can remember this stuff. lol ;) :)

:lol::lol::lol: Re: your earlier reply....no, I'm not fast. I made the oversight and did NOT see that the price went up to $40/day in the DT garages. Really, to be honest, for a major city like DC it may not be all that unusually high. But, it would be out of our budget.

Decisions....just don't know which to do with staying in/out, driving in/out.....what to do??? I'm OVERWHELMED!! :D

:lol::lol::lol: Re: your earlier reply....no, I'm not fast. I made the oversight and did NOT see that the price went up to $40/day in the DT garages. Really, to be honest, for a major city like DC it may not be all that unusually high. But, it would be out of our budget.

Decisions....just don't know which to do with staying in/out, driving in/out.....what to do??? I'm OVERWHELMED!! :D

But most are not $40. $20 is dh's best memory and he has a good one. You really can't go wrong staying in Crystal (I edited ! lol) City VA, or the hotel I linked near Andrew's Air Force Base. You can take the metro from both, and they are not going to be crazy $ hotels. The price for the hotel I linked is a good one. (Nice kitchen area is a bonus for us cheapskates!) If you drive or shuttle to their metro stop, you're golden. If you drive and get hotel parking for $25 or so, you're also good. I wouldn't hesitate to book either of those if staying in the city is financially out of the question.

DC is a *wonderful* destination. The Smithsonian Museums do not charge admission. It's a great bargain, really. Pack lots of high protein snacks for the kids and just do it. :) DC is one of my most favorite trips. It never gets old.

Edited by LibraryLover