Menu

I'm always late with these things. Game of Thrones, book

I just started reading this book. I heard of it because of the HBO series, but I have not seen the series (and now that I've been reading the book I don't think I want to :tongue_smilie:) But I'm loving this book.

I'm only 200 pages into it, which is not a lot, but I'm so hooked. I got it from the library, which could be an issue because I don't think I can finish it in 2 weeks. I know there's a waiting list. I think they will let me renew it once, but I'm so busy, I don't know if I can get through the whole thing. I may have to buy a copy. :001_smile:

I waited all summer for this book. I had more time in the summer. I read some ok books this summer, but this is what I' would have preferred to read.

Anyone else here amazed by these books. They are well written. I can't fly through a page like I normally do. I have to go slowly to catch everything and keep everyone straight.

All through my busy day my mind is stuck in that place. I want to be there.

I just wanted to see if anyone was as taken with these books. :001_smile:

Just wait 'til you finish Book 5 and the world has become so complex you have NO idea what's going on AND there's no chance of tying up any story lines for YEARS. ;)

I hope you're taking notes as you read... On Every Single Character, event, hint of history or mythology... It all comes back.

I am reading the books, I am on book five. I am trying to read it as slowly as possible. I hate to think when the next one will be out.

I love how his characters evolve, they are not flat and predictable.

IMO Tyrion makes the series worth watching but there is quite a lot of nakie time and TeA

Edited by Sis

I'm listening to them on CD. The narrator is generally good about using different voices, but it's been a little humorous to have siblings with different accents (Cersei and Tirion Lannister - she sounds English, his accent might be Welsh? Catlyn and John Muir Tulley - she sounds English, he has a Scottish brogue).

I'm nearly done with the second book and Tirion is my definite favorite.

Did you see that the actor who plays Tirion got a Best Supporting Actor Emmy for his performance in the HBO series?

Also, if you're interested in buying the books, Costco has had them the past several months.

I'm listening to them on CD. The narrator is generally good about using different voices, but it's been a little humorous to have siblings with different accents (Cersei and Tirion Lannister - she sounds English, his accent might be Welsh? Catlyn and John Muir Tulley - she sounds English, he has a Scottish brogue).

I'm nearly done with the second book and Tirion is my definite favorite.

Did you see that the actor who plays Tirion got a Best Supporting Actor Emmy for his performance in the HBO series?

Also, if you're interested in buying the books, Costco has had them the past several months.

I was so happy to see that, it was well deserved. Tyrion is a great character. :)

I am reading the books, I am on book five. I am trying to read it as slowly as possible. I hate to think when the next one will be out.

I love how his characters evolve, they are not flat and predictable.

IMO Tyrion makes the series worth watching but there is quite a lot of nakie time and TeA

I can imagine how much "nakie" and TeA there is! It was all the blood that I would rather not watch. There is a lot of blood. Better to read then to see.

I just started the first book as well. My brother has been after me for a long time to read this series, and I finally decided to pick it up to read. What horrible timing I had! The new book was about to be released, and the older, early in the series books were on hold for months at the library. :glare:

So I've borrowed the first two from my brother. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's got my attention. I'm already thinking that I'll just have to buy them, because there's no way I'm waiting months for the hold list at the library to run its course.

I read the first 4 books....waited YEARS for the 5th one to come out, and made the decision NOT to read the 5th one right now.

I'm going to wait until #6 and 7 are done and then I'm going to sit down and read all 7 books in a row.

By the time you hit book 3 and 4, you don't even follow all of the characters anymore. You follow half of them in 3, then the other half in 4, so you go through entire books without seeing some of the characters. (Because there are so many and the plot so complex.)

I love a good story but can be really bothered and disturbed by violence in books. Is this a book that you think someone bothered by violence can read? I've heard that they can be a bit rough.

What do you think is past your threshold? What books have previously troubled you?

I do think it is very violent, but less violent than books I stopped reading because of violence. (like Sword of Truth series)

I wish I would have never started reading the books because there will never be an ending :( I was less than impressed with book 4 because it only followed some of the characters, and I haven't even bothered with 5 for the same reason. I'm going to follow Garga's lead and not read any more until the series is complete (so... never :P )

I had no idea there was a tv series! Probably wouldn't have ever watched it, but I should have at least known about it :glare:

Just wait 'til you finish Book 5 and the world has become so complex you have NO idea what's going on AND there's no chance of tying up any story lines for YEARS. ;)

I hope you're taking notes as you read... On Every Single Character, event, hint of history or mythology... It all comes back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire:D

I love a good story but can be really bothered and disturbed by violence in books. Is this a book that you think someone bothered by violence can read? I've heard that they can be a bit rough.

The violence is appropriate for the setting, but it is violent. It depends what you can handle. I can tolerate more in books. I still picture it all, but it's not as vivid. And with books you can read something and not dwell on it, but with tv or movies they can let the camera focus on the scene in order to emphasize it, KWIM? Same goes with all of the s*x. You can read it and not linger there, where as the camera always does.

Entrails are spilled, a seven year old boy is pushed off a castle tower, a baby is graphically killed after a battle-all of that happens within the first third of the first book.

There are regular battles - the realm is in a regular state of shifting control. It's rather medieval in setting with a side of magic. This means not just the battle, but dealing also dealing with the losers after the battle. There is also teA - consensual and non (as is the case with arranged marriages sometimes). Also, in the first book (i'm only on the second), a girl is married off at 13. I'd been watching the TV series (on HBO) before I started the books, so I had no idea she was supposed to be that young. The scenes during her "honeymoon" period will be upsetting to some.

There are regular battles - the realm is in a regular state of shifting control. It's rather medieval in setting with a side of magic. This means not just the battle, but dealing also dealing with the losers after the battle. There is also teA - consensual and non (as is the case with arranged marriages sometimes). Also, in the first book (i'm only on the second), a girl is married off at 13. I'd been watching the TV series (on HBO) before I started the books, so I had no idea she was supposed to be that young. The scenes during her "honeymoon" period will be upsetting to some.

:iagree: I didn't even finish reading the book. It was too upsetting to me. It seemed a bit too full of rape and murder of children in graphic detail.

There is another young girl married (she is Sansa Stark's age..which was supposed to be 13/14 right?) in book 5

I read the first 4 books....waited YEARS for the 5th one to come out, and made the decision NOT to read the 5th one right now.

I'm going to wait until #6 and 7 are done and then I'm going to sit down and read all 7 books in a row.

By the time you hit book 3 and 4, you don't even follow all of the characters anymore. You follow half of them in 3, then the other half in 4, so you go through entire books without seeing some of the characters. (Because there are so many and the plot so complex.)

Ugh. this is one reason why I stopped reading Jordan's Wheel of Time,

There is another young girl married (she is Sansa Stark's age..which was supposed to be 13/14 right?) in book 5

Probably there abouts. She has her first cycle near the end of book 2. There's also the treatment she received at Joffrey's hand (but never directly from him because a king doesn't hit women/girls).

My initial example was Daneres (sp) marrying Kal Drogo. I keep forgetting she's supposed to only be 13-14 in this second book as she's trying to gather a navy.

Ugh. this is one reason why I stopped reading Jordan's Wheel of Time,

GASP! Say it ain't so!

When the final book is released next fall I've already planned that I'm going to the midnight release. I've never, ever done that for anything, and don't plan on ever doing it again. But I HAVE to have that book the second it's available. :tongue_smilie:

I downloaded the 5th book to my Kindle the second that I could and devoured it in a couple of days. And now....I....wait....for years....again.:glare:

Yes, shudders, that whole scenario was pretty disturbing.