Menu

Questions about dance lessons and the Nutcracker

UPDATE POST #27 and #44

For those whose dc take classical ballet lessons and the studio also puts on the production of the Nutcracker, do the regular normal ballet lessons and practice for the dances for the Nutcracker overlap or are kept separate?

My dd takes lessons at a fairly new classical ballet studio. Prior to joining this new studio last April (running all summer too), she took (and still takes) classical ballet at another studio that does not do the Nutcracker. We were given the speech from the new studio that by starting last April instead of waiting until Fall would guarantee my dd and her friend great parts in the Nutcracker. At that point,there were only 3 kids in the class, my dd and her friend included. The new kids entering the studio in the Fall would take second place to the students already enrolled. This new studio also costs 3 times the amount as the old studio ($120 every 4 weeks).

Unfortunately, after joining, I learned a "friend" 's dd (several years older than my dd) dances at this studio and this "friend" is joined at the hip of the instructor/owner and has made herself the president of the ballet guild. (Yes, on top of the $120 every 4 weeks, we got a 6 page fundraiser/food and money donation (asking up to $1000)/make crafts to sell/make costumes at our cost/volunteer our time/go door to door to businesses asking for money etc, etc, etc. today.) And this is on top of stating that they got several grants to put on Nutcracker. She also sat at the judging table during auditions. I thought maybe the owner of the dance studio would be professional and this lady would not influence her.

I was wrong.

This past weekend, the studio had auditions for the Nutcracker. Rehearsals for the Nutcracker are scheduled for every Saturday until the performance. If you did not show up for auditions, you could not be in the Nutcracker. Well, the roles were posted on the door. My dd's classmates (the class size is now up to 12) are in several of the dances except my dd. Her friend is and so are the newbies. My dd is in only two dances. The newbies were jumping for joy and screaming. My dd was trying real hard not to cry though I could see tears. While the other girls were partying away with excitement, my dd came out and hugged me and hid her face in my shoulder and had a good cry. She is a great dancer and has more experience than even her friend. So, it is not a matter in that she just plain s**ks. I asked where she wanted to go with this. She said she still wanted to do the Nutcracker and was going to dance her best and then leave with a bang after the final performance. She dried her tears and marched back in the room.

I waited and watched in the hall. After warm ups, turns out they are learning the dance routines in the lesson class time. This is the scheduled class time that I am paying $120 every 4 weeks. My dd sits out on the floor while everyone else is learning the routines. She is told to sit in the front facing all the girls. Two of the girls are in other routines too and at that point, the rest of the class sits out with my dd.

I am having a hard time paying this $120/4 weeks for lessons when my dd is sitting on the floor. What if there was a child that did not want to do the Nutcracker and didn't audition yet was enrolled in the classes? What if another newbie signs up late for the class? Why was every Sat reserved for Nutcracker practices if they are just going to learn the routines in class?

I am sure, due to my "friend"'s involvement, I will be considered a trouble maker if I bring up my concerns to the owner. And that is where my "friend" is going with all this.

The photographer chosen last spring is also good friends with both my "friend" and the owner. I found this out when I complained to the owner that I had not received my photo order placed over two months ago. I am the only one that did not receive their order within the week they were placed. When I finally did get the order, the photographer put a note in it saying, "Oh, I found this under a pile of papers. sorry." The owner defended her photographer friend saying that they have been friends for a long time. So one strike against me already.

I am very proud of my dd for the way she is handling it. But, on the other hand I feel we should just walk away and skip all this drama.

Is this normal for a ballet studio that also does a Nutcracker performance?

What would you do in these circumstances?

Edited by Caledonia Academy

No this is not normal. We have a very serious classical ballet school in our area that puts on a great Nutcracker performance every year. They even bring in professionals from NYC for Sugar Plum Fairy and the king guy. They have mandatory rehearsals and THAT is when they learn the dances. Class time is for the class.

There are auditions for the Nutcracker and there is a fee to join the company to be in the Nutcracker.

I would be livid if I was paying that kind of $$ and they were using classtime for that. I also, in a skinny minute, would be speaking directly to the school owner..without giving it a second thought.

I hope that you do. You can do so kindly but firmly. It is entirely appropriate. It is not being a trouble maker.

So sorry you are going through this. That is entirely unfair and makes my blood boil!

I'm so sorry this is happening. How stunningly petty. What is wrong with this person?

I admire your daughter's attitude tremendously. However, I'd be out of there. Even if she were legitimately cut out of most of the performance, I'd find it a waste of time and money for her to take class but not receive instruction other than, "Sit over there."

Thanks Julie. I am not one to keep quiet long. But, I did want to know how it was done first since this is our first Nutcracker. I really don't want my dd to get hurt any more than she already has. But, I don't see how things are going to improve for her if she stays.

Does your school have all sorts of trophies in the windows, decorating the studio?

This ballet school just started/opened last January. They only offer classical ballet. We joined in April. It is located in an old school turned into an auditorium. The auditorium offers music lessons, art classes, pottery classes, and houses an alternative high school. They also offer the auditorium for functions and rent out their lobby for parties. They just recently started the ballet class. Each individual entity has it own name/business and the Auditorium takes its cut. Everyone regardless of which business you attend makes their payments out to the auditorium. They used to house a Theatre group too but they moved on. The auditorium took a big loss when this happened so are constantly fundraising to pay the salaried staff. The owner/instructor came from another studio to open up her own.

What type of studio is this? For most of my daughter's dancing years, she did Royal Academy of Dance. Now she's doing a much more informal one. I can't imagine this happening at either one. I would, unless I signed to agree for this, take her somewhere else. I would call another studio, explain that you are looking for a spot for her... just say "our current studio isn't working out for us" and move...right... on. Bummer about not getting to participate in the December performance.. but hopefully there will be an end of year one! ;)

We danced at a professional studio. Class was class, rehearsal was rehearsal. Never, not once in five years, did the two merge.

If this is a new studio, they are being very ambitious. Nutcracker is a big production to take on. The number of costumes, the set pieces, the number of cast members, is huge.

At first, I wondered if your dd was left out because of costume restrictions. Sometimes the casting must be driven by who fits in the costumes, and how many costumes there are. However, yours is a new production, so there may not be any costumes.

To buy all of the costumes at once will be an astronomical cost. At our school, it was a major undertaking to refresh/repair the existing costumes. The director made quite a few new ones each year, to change things up, or to fit dancers who were a different size than the previous year's dancer, etc. My SIL was volunteer costume mistress for Nutcracker at a different studio for a number of years; when she eventually gave it up she was replaced with a full-time paid costumer.

Your studio may have bitten off more than they can chew. It's up to you whether you want to ride that train or get off now and move on. If you're going to at some point anyway, I'm thinking now would be a good time to jump, while another studio is just beginning their year and things are still in flux.

Sitting around in rehearsal sometimes can't be avoided. Sitting around in class, with you paying for it, when she should be working, is a serious problem.

Edited by askPauline

What type of studio is this? For most of my daughter's dancing years, she did Royal Academy of Dance. Now she's doing a much more informal one. I can't imagine this happening at either one. I would, unless I signed to agree for this, take her somewhere else. I would call another studio, explain that you are looking for a spot for her... just say "our current studio isn't working out for us" and move...right... on. Bummer about not getting to participate in the December performance.. but hopefully there will be an end of year one! ;)

In our area, it is rare to have a real classical ballet school. Most are just instructors who took dance when they were a kid and opened up their own studio and offer ballet, tap, hip hop, etc. We had just one classical ballet in the area that my dd has been with for 4 years but the teacher is 92 years old (trained in Europe). He does have a year end recital (his own productions) and they are very well done. Before that, my dd danced with a classical ballet group in another state.

This second one opened up with a husband and wife team with high credentials-trained in Europe.

Uh, no....not normal. Very unprofessional in my opinion, and honestly...it's going to get a lot worse. I would complain about ANY class time being used for rehearsal. That is just not done anywhere with a decent reputation. The girls need daily class in order to be properly prepared for the rehearsals. You are going to be seeing a lot of injuries in the coming weeks if class time is being replaced with rehearsals. I guarantee it.

If the teacher doesn't change things...I would leave.

I think it all sounds weird. . . so many fundraisers, 4 months of class time for show rehearsals, promising more parts for early sign-ups then holding auditions for those promised parts, letting a parent make creative and business decisions. They sound flakey.

I agree. I always wonder why I am the only one that questions what is going on. Are the other parents clueless?

We danced at a professional studio. Class was class, rehearsal was rehearsal. Never, not once in five years, did the two merge.

If this is a new studio, they are being very ambitious. Nutcracker is a big production to take on. The number of costumes, the set pieces, the number of cast members, is huge.

At first, I wondered if your dd was left out because of costume restrictions. Sometimes the casting must be driven by who fits in the costumes, and how many costumes there are. However, yours is a new production, so there may not be any costumes.

To buy all of the costumes at once will be an astronomical cost. At our school, it was a major undertaking to refresh/repair the existing costumes. The director made quite a few new ones each year, to change things up, or to fit dancers who were a different size than the previous year's dancer, etc. My SIL was volunteer costume mistress for Nutcracker at a different studio for a number of years; when she eventually gave it up she was replaced with a full-time paid costumer.

Your studio may have bitten off more than they can chew. It's up to you whether you want to ride that train or get off now and move on. If you're going to at some point anyway, I'm thinking now would be a good time to jump, while another studio is just beginning their year and things are still in flux.

Sitting around in rehearsal sometimes can't be avoided. Sitting around in class, with you paying for it, when she should be working, is a serious problem.

I hadn't thought about it that way. It is very ambitious. They have hired two professionals for the lead roles. The grants they received must have been astronomical! How unfair to your SIL.

Technique class is for technique, not rehearsals. You are payongfor instruction in ballet, not choreography. I don't even let my teachers spend the whole class preparing for recital in the apring. Technique work must happen first. If they are getting good training, the Saturday rehearsals will ne more than enough.

Do they warm up at all before rehearsals? If not, run fast. Things sound bad already. As someone else said, they will injure themselves if they do nothing but rehearse. How many classes a week do you get for the $120. That seems high if it is just one class.

The fundraising is crazy too. We do fundraising for our small competition team. It is voluntary. They know what they owe if they don't want to fundraise. No one should have to fundraise on top of tuition payments, it should be to cover tuition payments.

I could say more, but opinions on dance studios that pull stuff like this is low amd it put me in a bad mood....:glare:

Rehearsals and classes should not overlap. A serious ballet school would not do this. I can't see a point in your dd continuing as long as your "friend" is there to ensure that she doesn't get to dance. IMO, paying $120/month to sit and watch rehearsals for 15 weeks is a bad idea. :grouphug:

:iagree:

It's actually worse than $120/month since they charge every 4 weeks. The other studio is $40 a month whether there is 4 weeks or 5.

Do they warm up at all before rehearsals? If not, run fast. Things sound bad already. As someone else said, they will injure themselves if they do nothing but rehearse. How many classes a week do you get for the $120. That seems high if it is just one class.

They have not actually had a rehearsal yet. Just class time. Two classes a week (3 hours total) for the $120.

Our dance studio does not do this either. Show rehearsals are separate from regular class time. Usually show rehersals are Saturday/Sunday afternoons. Not every child will participate in every show.

I would not be ok with my child sitting out during paid class time either.

The Nutcracker here is completely separate from the studio classes, and, in fact, usually involves kids from multiple studios. My daughter hasn't done one yet (she's at the very bottom of the age range, and I don't feel she needs the pressure yet). It's a separate cost to do the Nutcracker.

My DD takes dance at a community school that sounds like of similar to what your program does, but it's been around long enough and has enough room use that it's actually cheaper than other programs because of the cooperative use of space. I don't know what it was like 20+ years ago when it started, though.

UPDATE:

I emailed the owner/teacher asking about clarification of class technique time and Nutcracker rehearsals.

Her abrupt reply:

"The girls not in the routines are understudies. We will be doing technique every week for 30 minutes in and then working on choreography. If a student is not in the Nutcracker they will They will learn it anyway and work on technique. Saturday rehearsal's I gave you a list for."

The classes are 1 1/2 hours long. So one hour of every class will be devoted to the Nutcracker. If the girls "will learn it anyway" why was my dd sitting on the floor watching? They are tooting themselves a professional ballet company? I just don't get it. :mad:

:grouphug: there are many sides to the dance world, and this is unfortunately one of them. we are about to go thru nutcracker auditions precisely one week after one of our dds had to drop the class taught by the nutcracker director due to scheduling conflicts. it will be interesting to see whether she gets cast at all. if not, it will have nothing to do with how well she dances (she regularly gets solo roles), and everything to do with disapproval of her choice. this director is an excellent teacher and has many great qualities, and i'm hoping for those to come to the fore.

for you and your dd.....

i would ask for a meeting with the owner. i would talk about dds love of dance and the need to not destroy that. then i would lay it out as you did for us in your first post. the starting early for a chance at a good role, the money, the time, how it feels to have all her friends looking at her sitting on the floor, the difficulties with the other family, all of it. i would state that i hoped that the last hadn't in any way influenced the casting. i would indicate a willingness to pay for private lessons to address whatever dancing deficit led to dd not getting a larger part and ask for a list of those and a reasonable time line for them to be addressed. also for a list of exercises she could do at home to work on those. i would also mention that i understand it may be a height/weight/costuming issue. (this is to give them an easy and graceful out while still addressing your concerns.)

and i would ask specifically if as an understudy she could dance with the rest during that other hour. if they say no, then i would ask them to reduce the tuition you are paying by the amount of time she is sitting out.

coming out of all of that, i would have a pretty good idea as to whether i wanted to continue to work with these folks or not. sometimes even the best studios miscast folks and i tell my dd to understudy a role and make them wish they'd cast her instead. it has worked well for us. this weekend may be the exception to that for us... who knows?

good luck! dancing is wonderful.... except when it isn't.

ann

eta: i keep thinking of things. this is our world.

random things... $120- for three hours is in the ballpark for what most studios here in SoCal charge.... the photos thing may have been a coincidence (its hard when it fits a pattern, but it is so petty that i'm thinking it is more likely to have been accidental. photos for a studio are a good thing, but have a nightmarish quality to them in turns of organization in our experience)..... its important for them to realize that your focus is your dd becoming an excellent dancer and continuing to love it, not on her getting a larger part. there are parents who just push and push even if their children aren't well suited to whatever activity it is, and part of the owner's abruptness may be because she is afraid you are "one of those dance moms" ; ). and lastly, we have been involved with teachers from four different studios in the last year, often simultaneously. one of the things we have learned is that studios do have their own "personality", much as churches and schools do, and its good if you can find one that makes your dd and you most comfortable while still offering the experiences you and she would like her to have. dd dropped the one class at a studio that is not her "home" studio because of a scheduling conflict, and will miss the teacher very much, but will not miss the atmosphere there so much..... it fits some folks wonderfully, and that's good. it wasn't a good fit for her (or for me, for that matter, although that is less relevant)

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

UPDATE:

I emailed the owner/teacher asking about clarification of class technique time and Nutcracker rehearsals.

Her abrupt reply:

"The girls not in the routines are understudies. We will be doing technique every week for 30 minutes in and then working on choreography. If a student is not in the Nutcracker they will They will learn it anyway and work on technique. Saturday rehearsal's I gave you a list for."

The classes are 1 1/2 hours long. So one hour of every class will be devoted to the Nutcracker. If the girls "will learn it anyway" why was my dd sitting on the floor watching? They are tooting themselves a professional ballet company? I just don't get it. :mad:

I would find another studio. This is not right. You are not paying for a rehearsal. If the class was listed as a rehearsal/performance class, that would be different. But this is a technique class. Your daughter did sit out, she was not allowed to dance. Just email the teacher back and tell her that you will be unable to continue lessons. You pay for technique classes, not rehearsal classes.

random things... $120- for three hours is in the ballpark for what most studios here in SoCal charge....

:iagree:We are pretty close to that here in OK. We are mid-range on out prices and 3 hours is a little over $100 a month.

UPDATE:

Her abrupt reply:

I am a dance academy owner.

That makes NO SENSE!!! How is your daughter going to improve and have a chance at getting more parts in the future if she is sitting around and watching others practice??? (Assuming she really wasn't ready for some of the routines.....which sounds suspect to begin with).

Ugh! Brainstorming....

Same here. They also are constantly asking for donations and holding fund raising events. They don't make money on the Nutcracker. Even with $30ish ticket prices (and volunteer ushers, instructors, costume people, etc.) they can barely break even. It's extremely expensive to put on a large show.

Which raises another question - what will be the ticket price for this performance? We've been part of performances where your participation fee included a certain number of tickets, with $12 per for any extra, and we've been part of a Nutcracker where tickets weren't included and were $35 per. (To be fair, the former also included a costume fee, and the latter did not.) You should be able to ask questions about your expected total outlay for this venture, including costume and ticket prices (and any incidentals you will be expected to provide, such as tights of a certain color/kind, parking at the theater, etc.). Ask NOW, before there are any surprises. One wonders if the studio has thought this through.

Your dd is NOT getting a serious ballet class if an hour of class is spent on Nutcracker practice instead of barre, jumps, adagio, across the floor, etc. (Is this true of all three classes each week?)

Crazy management and lack of information is worth it if the instruction is excellent. That does not seem to be the case here.

Network with the other moms to get a sense of how everyone else is feeling.

Same here. They also are constantly asking for donations and holding fund raising events. They don't make money on the Nutcracker. Even with $30ish ticket prices (and volunteer ushers, instructors, costume people, etc.) they can barely break even. It's extremely expensive to put on a large show.

I pay $147 per month for 2 hours of technique classes and 1 hour of performance/Nutcracker.

Optional donations are requested for the Nutcracker. Our costume fee is now included. We pay $25 or $30 for tickets I think. They do not make money on the show at all.

Edited by JenC3

This school isn't going to change, they are happy with the way they are doing things. The parents are basically paying for their kids to be in a performance. You need to decide if this is what you want for your dd or not. It's not worth the emotional energy to stay upset. I'm really sorry. :grouphug:

This school isn't going to change, they are happy with the way they are doing things. The parents are basically paying for their kids to be in a performance. You need to decide if this is what you want for your dd or not. It's not worth the emotional energy to stay upset. I'm really sorry. :grouphug:

This "ballet studio" is a rip off. Class time is for learning technique. Rehearsal time is for rehearsal. My girls did Nutcracker many years. We practically lived at the studio during Nutcracker season. They were very well rehearsed. But class time was always for technique.

:iagree::iagree: I would switch studios as soon as possible.

UPDATE:

Her abrupt reply:

This is not a professional ballet studio. Rehearsal should always be separate from tech classes. My dds are in a serious ballet school and are studying with an instructor who teaches the Vagavona method. Combining rehearsals with class time would never fly at their school.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of ballet schools out there that purport to be professional or pre-professional, but they are not. Many parents are not able to tell the difference. I would say that what your dd's studio is doing is a huge red flag -- they are not interested in teaching proper technique -- they are interested in putting on a show. If I were you, I would pull my dd from that school immediately. It's sad that you've probably paid for this quarter, and they've started with these shenanigans. You paid for tech classes, not rehearsals.

update #2

Thank you for all the advice. I did approach the instructor/owner of the studio and it backfired. :mad:

First of all, while talking with her I felt she was not giving me her full attention, as if she were distracted. So, we were not off to a good start.

I was very careful on wording what I was saying to her. I had asked her about having a mom sitting at the judging table and what influence that had in the casting of the Nutcracker, explaining the effect this had on my dd. Her response was that she was just there to fill a chair and was not actually part of the judging.

Then thinking I should explain myself, I mentioned that this mom and I had a conflict over the involvement of another mom that told her lies about things I supposedly said. When this came to light the other mom cried and apologized to me for what she did but I was never really sure if the first mom believed me or not or still begrudged me. (Because I am sure this other mom never went back and told her the truth.) And I was concerned that this may have affected or hindered my dd's ranking.

She replied that this woman and she were bffs and even spent evenings together at each other's houses and didn't know what to tell me and abruptly ended the conversation.

That evening, I get a message from the instructor saying that she found a mistake in her casting and my dd's name had been omitted in one of the routines. So, now my dd was in the same number of dances as most of the girls in her class. A few have major/additional roles.

Then I get several messages from mutual friends that this "friend" posted on facebook, "Drama is for the stage... I can't understand why some people thrive on spreading untruths. Just for the excitement of making other miserable???" and that they are sure it was about me especially with all the comments that followed her post. :001_huh:

Then this "friend" came up to me during intermission while at a mutual function. She actually told me the instructor (her bff) said to her, "Whatever did you do to (my full name) that she would call you a liar? I told her ( meaning me) that you and I are very good friends and I don't know what to say to you."

WTW? How did what I said to the instructor get interpreted as I called this "friend" a liar?

I am absolutely flabbergasted. History repeating itself just different circumstances with the same woman.

Tomorrow, I will be having an exit interview with the facility her business is run out of.

They don't make money on the Nutcracker. Even with $30ish ticket prices (and volunteer ushers, instructors, costume people, etc.) they can barely break even. It's extremely expensive to put on a large show.

That's quite different from when my son was at the pre-professional ballet school here. They were quite honest about the fact that their annual Nutcracker production went a long way toward keeping the company in business. It was their biggest money-maker each year.

To answer the original question, though: No, what you are seeing is not typical. My son danced in six Nutcrackers. The procedure was always that auditions were held in September soon after classes began for the year. There was a small fee to audition (maybe $30?). If your child was cast and decided to participate, there was an additional fee of about $100 to cover cleaning, repairing and fitting the costume as well as a new pair of tights and shoes. (The first couple of years my son participated, we didn't pay the full fee, because they were desperate to encourage boys to be in the show.)

Rehearsals were always separate from classes, usually on Saturdays and sometimes one additional evening per week, depending on the part your child was dancing. They never, ever worked on choreography or rehearsals for The Nutcracker during class time.

In addition to the audition and participation fees, we had to pay for our own tickets (although we were often given a buy-one-get-one deal). They also asked parents to volunteer backstage and to contribute food and serving items to the cast party.

Ticket prices ranged, usually, from $25 up to $75.

Girls were expected to purchase their own hair accessories (curls for the party children, for example).

I'm glad you're removing your daughter from this dance studio. It is not professional in any way and the dramatics are never worth it. For future reference when evaluating a ballet school that claims to be "pre-pro" (and most do claim this now.....most aren't):

Instructors who have danced professionally with a reputable ballet company.

A sprung floor.

Live piano accompaniment for classes.

A syllabus for each class with a clear method of instruction (Vaganova, Checcetti, etc.)

A certain amount of required classes per week. After age 11, your dd should be in class 3-5 times per week (5 is better) for an hour and a half per class.

Children are not put on pointe before age 11. The bones in their feet need to be strong enough for this type of work.

A uniform dress code for each class, with a strict hair requirement (in a bun...nothing else is acceptable). Sometimes the oldest classes (where the dancers are already dancing professionally) have a rather lax dress code, but the younger classes should not.

Guest teachers who are usually currently dancing professionally with a major company should come to teach class a couple times per semester. I realize if you live out in the middle of nowhere, this might not happen often, but you should see it at least once per year. My dd's studio just had Robbie Fairchild from NYCB come and give a master class.

An encouraging attitude toward students auditioning for and being accepted by summer ballet programs in major companies around the world. (My dd started attending "away" summer programs at age 13.)

A decent number of previous students who are now dancing professionally in a ballet company. The studio should have a track record of success.

A studio company that is run by professionals with peripheral parental involvement (ie. drama). Parents should have NO say in choreography, auditions and role placement. They also shouldn't be hanging around during rehearsal times (unless they're sewing costumes or painting scenery...and even then, they should not be in the studio.)

HTH

I'm glad you're removing your daughter from this dance studio. It is not professional in any way and the dramatics are never worth it. For future reference when evaluating a ballet school that claims to be "pre-pro" (and most do claim this now.....most aren't):

A sprung floor.

A syllabus for each class with a clear method of instruction (Vaganova, Checcetti, etc.)

A certain amount of required classes per week. After age 11, your dd should be in class 3-5 times per week (5 is better) for an hour and a half per class.

Children are not put on pointe before age 11. The bones in their feet need to be strong enough for this type of work.

A uniform dress code for each class, with a strict hair requirement (in a bun...nothing else is acceptable). Sometimes the oldest classes (where the dancers are already dancing professionally) have a rather lax dress code, but the younger classes should not.

Guest teachers who are usually currently dancing professionally with a major company should come to teach class a couple times per semester. I realize if you live out in the middle of nowhere, this might not happen often, but you should see it at least once per year. My dd's studio just had Robbie Fairchild from NYCB come and give a master class.

An encouraging attitude toward students auditioning for and being accepted by summer ballet programs in major companies around the world. (My dd started attending "away" summer programs at age 13.)

A decent number of previous students who are now dancing professionally in a ballet company. The studio should have a track record of success.

A studio company that is run by professionals with peripheral parental involvement (ie. drama). Parents should have NO say in choreography, auditions and role placement. They also shouldn't be hanging around during rehearsal times (unless they're sewing costumes or painting scenery...and even then, they should not be in the studio.)

HTH

Excellent post!!!!!

I think you can tell a lot simply by looking at the older girls. If they are in pretty-but-not-flashy black leos and pink tights, with their hair in a very neat (ideally flawless) bun with perhaps a tiny bit of a flower or other accessory, then it's worth looking further.

If they are in colored leos with messy hair and soffee shorts, then it's unlikely that you are seeing a pre-pro studio. (That said, there's nothing wrong with a well-run recreational studio. It's just a completely different kind of thing than a pre-pro studio.)

A sprung floor.

HTH

Thank you for this fantastic reference. Certainly going to keep this handy while looking for a replacement.

One more question: How far are you willing to drive to be in such a program?

Excellent post!!!!!

I think you can tell a lot simply by looking at the older girls. If they are in pretty-but-not-flashy black leos and pink tights, with their hair in a very neat (ideally flawless) bun with perhaps a tiny bit of a flower or other accessory, then it's worth looking further.

If they are in colored leos with messy hair and soffee shorts, then it's unlikely that you are seeing a pre-pro studio. (That said, there's nothing wrong with a well-run recreational studio. It's just a completely different kind of thing than a pre-pro studio.)

The younger girls are required to wear black leos and pink tights with no skirts. I think they are also required to do the buns though I am not sure if the girls follow through. The littles are dressed in pink leos and pink tights. I will have to see how the older girls dress.

Around here, girls are being fitted for toes as young as 9. the dance store owner always tries to talk the moms out of buying toes for their girls until they reached 11. She was more concerned about the girls than the profit of selling shoes. She said I was the only one who actually waited until their dd was 10. My dd was a little over 10 and even then she was instructed not to practice at home and only practiced 2x week for 10 minutes each. (This is at the old studio where she will still be taking lessons twice a week.) At the new studio, it would have been a half hour class once a week.

I'd be willing to drive an hour or so each way for that kind of studio.

We live north of Salt Lake City. I drove my dd 40 minutes each way M-F (and some Saturdays if they were rehearsing) so that she could attend a pre-pro academy that started at 11:30 AM and finished at 6 PM (with an hour break for food and studying in the afternoon).

This school also had a nutritionist, Pilates room, and physical therapist on site (two days per week). They had classes in ballet, pointe, character, variations, pas de deux and Pilates. They had 3 lectures per week on either nutrition for dancers, injury prevention or other "dance" topics (how to audition, etc.). They had a company performance twice a year with separate times for rehearsals, etc. Costumes were provided by the studio and not at the dancers expense (that should be the rule, too).

It was an amazing opportunity for her and definitely helped further her career as a dancer. She was fortunate enough to get a scholarship, which help to mitigate the cost considerably.

They are lots of ballet schools like this across the country. I don't know where you live, but generally, if you are near a professional company with an adjunct school, that is a good place to start.