Menu

What to do with Pears?

Our pear tree has an abundant amount of pears. I need some ideas of personal use and what else to do with them. This is our first year with a pear tree.

I am a basic cook. We don't have stuff to do canning, nor can we afford it right now.

We'll be gifting our neighbors and family as well.

Any other bright ideas? Thanks.

One of our favorite deserts:

peel pear, halve it, steam in little water with sugar cinnamon and cloves (and some white wine if you like) until tender but not mushy.

Remove from liquid, reduce liquid to siroupy sauce

Pour sauce over pears.

You can also serve the pears with chocolate sauce (Pear Helene) or vanilla ice cream.

Compote of steamed pears with spices

Pear cobbler

Pear pie (like apple pie - just use pears, or mix apples and pears)

One of our favorite deserts:

peel pear, halve it, steam in little water with sugar cinnamon and cloves (and some white wine if you like) until tender but not mushy.

Remove from liquid, reduce liquid to siroupy sauce

Pour sauce over pears.

You can also serve the pears with chocolate sauce (Pear Helene) or vanilla ice cream.

Compote of steamed pears with spices

Pear cobbler

Pear pie (like apple pie - just use pears, or mix apples and pears)

These sound wonderful, pear pie sounds so good about right now.

You can get set up with canning pretty cheaply by buying used jars on kijiji or thrift store.

You can mix them with apples and sauce them, freeze.

We have a lot of pears from our orchard every year and I can, sauce, and juice ours. :001_smile:

Pear sauce sounds good. :D

OT: Our elderly neighbor has a pear tree and we asked permission to pick pears but...when is it ok to start picking them? How do you know if they are ready to be picked?

Pears continue to ripen even after they're picked, so I would pick when they're close to ripe. You can keep them in a cool, dark place to make them last longer, or you can leave them on the counter to ripen slowly, or you can put them in a paper bag to ripen quickly.

As for using them, you can use them in most of the ways you'd use apples. I'd probably go with an easy crisp:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/maple-apple-crisp/detail.aspx

You can mix apples and pears or just use pears. I would personally cut back on the sugar when using pears, but I tend to like sour apples in things like crumbles and pies anyway.

My suggestion is more an after thought, but...my parents have pear and apple trees in their yard and all the ones that are marred they deliver to the horses in the stables next door. The horses really gobble them up and my kids LOVED getting to help. It was much better than leaving them piling up in the yard with all of the bees ;)

Two of my favorites. The honey could also be stored in jars in the fridge without processing.

Autumn Pear Pudding Cake

4 medium pears or apples — peeled,cored,sliced

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 cup butter — softened

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 large egg

1 cup flour

1/2 cup milk

3/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup hot tap water

There are two parts to this recipe, the cake and the topping.

To make the cake: Lightly grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan, place this pan onto a baking sheet to catch drips.

Place the fruit in the pan, and sprinkle it with the lemon juice.

In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, baking powder, spice, and salt until smooth.

Beat in the egg, then add the flour alternately with the milk (1/2 cup flour, the milk, remaining 1/2 cup flour), beating well after each addition.

Spoon the batter over the fruit in the pan, spreading it to mostly cover.

To make the topping: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spice.

Sprinkle this mixture over the batter, then carefully pour the hot water over the whole thing.

Bake the cake in a preheated 375°F oven for about 60 minutes, until it’s nicely browned on the top.

Remove it from the oven, and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Makes about 8 servings and is also delicious at room temperature.

Pear Honey

3 lbs fresh pears — peeled,cored,and finely chopped

5 1/2 cups sugar

1 can crushed pineapple in juice — (8 ounce)

1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a 6 quart stainless steel kettle combine all ingredients.

Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.

Simmer 40 mins.

Spoon into sterile jars, leaving a 1/2 inch head space.

Wipe jar rims, adjust lids.

Process in boiling water for 10 mins.

Makes 7 half pints

We had a bumper crop of pears this year. I had hoped that they wouldn't all ripen. But they all ripened within two weeks of picking. So we poached them all (cooked in sugar and water).

I make pear bread or pear muffins. You can freeze these. We can't can, because we have a flat surface stove. The second thing I did was put the pears in jars with a little alcohol (vodka, brandy whatever). About a tablespoon of alcohol to a quarter of pears and poaching liquid. These are delicious over ice cream.

Thank you, now I'm really hungry now and I'm ready for bed. I can't wait to try some of these great ideas.

Anytime! :tongue_smilie: It did the same thing to me, and I don't even like pears :lol: Fortunately, I was in the middle of making banana bread, so at least I had something to nosh on. And may I say that I am sooo jealous! We don't get enough sun here to grow fruit-bearing anything :glare: I hope you can find a way to use every single one of your yummy bounty.

We always canned our pears, so I'm no help.

Pear sauce is divine with pork, chicken, ham. Where is the lip-licking emoticon?

Obviously, you could eat them until your digestive system protests.

Give them away.

Trade them for something else you need? Haircuts? Other produce at a farm stand?

You are in MO now, right? There HAVE to be little old ladies with canning sets living right outside your door, Paula. When I lived in MO, every little old lady had a canning set, and they all knew how to can.

Could you find such a little old lady, offer to can some pears with/for her, bake her a lovely pear pie, IN EXCHANGE for the use of her equipment and/or some lessons?

When I lived in MO, there was this beautiful pear tree outside my house (not on my property). A little old lady -- Bessie B., aged 89 -- lived in the house next door, and I visited her every day. One day she said, "You know, Honey, that pear tree always had the juiciest, tastiest pears this time of year. I used to make the best pear pies, but I can't get out there to pick them now...."

;) She really did make the BEST pies EVER.

I keep thinking this thread has got to be a euphemism for something. But then, I look and - alas! No kilts! It really is about pears. Just the fruit. That's all.

:lol: I went to a 9/11 memorial service, complete with bagpipe corps. I saw more KILTS than I have ever seen in my life. From the angle I had, it was evident that these kilts were VENTILATED... :glare:

What size necks do you think those guys had? Wow. And the calf muscles. :001_huh:

:lol: I went to a 9/11 memorial service, complete with bagpipe corps. I saw more KILTS than I have ever seen in my life. From the angle I had, it was evident that these kilts were VENTILATED... :glare:

What size necks do you think those guys had? Wow. And the calf muscles. :001_huh:

See? Now it makes sense! :D