Menu

Anyone figure out the holes in shirts mystery? I'm going kookoo!

momee

They're everywhere...tiny little holes. Clustered in groups, but sometimes only one.

For a while they used to just be the belly but after further inspection I'm finding a few of them at the shoulders too now.

We've switched to a top loader LG and I think it's waaay too hard on fabrics. Even using the low speed spin isn't helping.

Please don't tell me it's moths or belly button lint/bugs or seatbelts. We've been using seat belts for years before this! and never a problem.

I'm wondering about my recourse. ALL of my Loft shirts have them. Right at the belly. They weren't cheap, but they are thin.

Those thick undershirts? Not a one and DH wears those at home all the time. So dds and I can't possibly be the only one with snagging spots on counters or jeans.

UGH!

BTW, we use liquid HG detergent. And I do put my bras in bags. And don't wash my bathroom towels, cleaner rags with regular clothes.

I think it is friction on cheap fabric. Even if the shirt is from an expensive store, that doesn't mean the fabric is quality. I think it is from things rubbing on the shirt; pinching, poking and twisting it. I don't think one thing is the cause, it is a combination of things. Soft washed cotton that is very thin is common these days for shirts. I wonder if the chemicals/treatments/weave/type of thread, used on these newer fabrics makes them more susceptible to the holes. Another thing to think about...the damage may be done a time or two before you notice the holes appearing. You may damage it, but the holes don't appear until the shirt has been washed and then put on (being stretched over the head) or tugged in some way. That is when the fibers finally pull apart and the hole is big enough to see.

Seat belts rubbing on the shirts and the plastic pieces are pushing and twisting the cloth. If it didn't happen previously, it may mean that you didn't have shirts that were made with the cheap/thin fabric before.

Carrying children rubs the shirt against your belly and waist band of your pants. Children sitting on your lap is another idea.

Carrying heavy items like milk jugs, laundry detergent, grocery bags etc. Anything that you carry close to your body is rubbing the shirt against your pants and the item. (ie if you are carrying milk, it isn't just rubbing on your pants, it is rubbing on the milk jug. The fabric is pinched between the two, being twisted and rubbed.

Jeans have a sharp corner on the edge where the button is. It may create a spot that catches your shirt, and then the shirt gets stretched out on that spot.

Many pants have metal buttons. Many of the current buttons are made with cheaper and cheaper materials, often being recycled. There could be a small amount of chemical erosion happening. Just enough to weaken one thread, would lead to a hole appearing over time.

Rubbing counters are another source of friction. Especially the current trend of using different materials for counter tops. It doesn't have to be in your home...it can be in a restaurant, friends home, church, etc. There may be something you are rubbing against that you don't even remember. As far as other people in the same house not having the same issue....maybe they don't let their belly hit the counter. Again it doesn't have to be an all the time thing, maybe it is just when you are lifting something heavy onto the counter or when you are cleaning and stretching over the counter.

Laptops or anything else you sit on your lap.

Leaning over a shopping cart. The metal bits sticking up could be snagging it. Carrying a hand held basket in a store or lifting it onto the grocery belt.

I could go on and on. I really do think that the constant friction combined with cheaply woven fabrics/fibers are the cause.

I agree with the cheap fabric idea. I think it's just cheaply made, even nice brands. So these things happen. When we were kids I don't remember things wearing out like they do now. Even feeling the denim from then (My Mom has a lot of our clothes from when we were kids) and the cotton shirts from then, they feel much thinner now. You should feel the yummy cotton t-shirts my brother had as a child. They are so thick and rich and my Mom did NOT buy expensive clothing back then.

I used to have this happen when I worked in a lab. The holes would only be in cotton shirts, so if the shirt was stitched together with polyester thread, the thread would be preserved with a hole in the cotton around it. The theory was that it was acid on the countertop getting on the shirt. I never had trouble again after I started wearing a lab coat (polyester) consistently.

Another vote for cheaper fabric. My Gap 'favorite' tees never get those holes in them, but they are still made from thicker, sturdier cotton. My dh's and the boys' shirts never get them, but they are all thick, cotton t-shirts and such. My thin 'layering' type shirts always get those stupid holes, sometimes after just one wash. :glare:

Cheap fabric and something in my washing machine is doing it, I think.

Mine are itty bitty holes in the belly or near seams, so I think they are getting ripped up from the agitator.

But I can't believe how cheaply-made clothes are now. It really annoys me to spend $20 for a shirt that is going to have a hole in just a couple of months.

I agree with the cheap fabric idea. I think it's just cheaply made, even nice brands. So these things happen. When we were kids I don't remember things wearing out like they do now. Even feeling the denim from then (My Mom has a lot of our clothes from when we were kids) and the cotton shirts from then, they feel much thinner now. You should feel the yummy cotton t-shirts my brother had as a child. They are so thick and rich and my Mom did NOT buy expensive clothing back then.

:iagree: Cheap fabric. That is why I tossed all my clothes and went with a line I know is good quality.

I find it on cheap fabric also.

I also discovered one of our cats has a laundry kneading fetish. She sneaks into clothes whereever she can and just kneads and kneads. She's responsible for a few shredded clothing items here...

:iagree:

In our house, we have a laundry thieving puppy. He doesn't chew it, just takes clothes out of the hampers and stashes them in his crate. I think it's the inside dog version of burying bones. He also has a fixation with my shoes. :tongue_smilie:

We get the holes in some of our clothes too. I'm positive that we started having this problem when we bought our HE washing machine. I also find that larger loads of laundry are usually the ones with the most damage. My solution that works most of the time is to make sure the washer isn't very full (at most 3/4 full) and adjust to a lower speed spin cycle. I would say it helps 95% of the time.

I don't know, but if you ever figure it out, you're a genius.

My husband's undershirts -- not that he ever actually wears them under anything, but rather for sleeping -- all eventually end up with those tiny holes. Usually, there are multiple little holes, just at the belly button.

As far as we can tell, there are no silverfish or other insects in his dresser drawers. I do put lavender and rosemary sprigs in there, to be on the safe side. His shirts smell nice, but still have those holes.

My theory is that he scratches his belly button in his sleep. :lol:;):tongue_smilie:

About a year ago I was noticing teeny tiny holes in my little dd's shirts. I couldn't figure it out....until I caught her one day.....wearing her shirt and chewing on it. The holes came from her little teeth. It took her awhile to break the habit.....but she did ruin probably half a dozen shirts. :glare: I am soooo glad she outgrew doing that!

But.....something tells me this isn't your problem. :001_smile:

Sorry, I'm not help. :tongue_smilie:

Another thought.....

I have wondered if it could be from getting stretched when we put them on. Little threads breaking each time, and then once they are washed the holes start appearing.

This would make sense as to why they are primarily on the belly area (the region most people grab when they take off the shirt), and why they do appear other places too.

I had a brand of t-shirt that the seams broke in, due to how I put it on. It was a t-shirt, and while I haven't ever had that problem again, all 3 colors that I bought that shirt in, had broken seam threads. I think they used too fine of a thread (a thin layering t-shirt) and it couldn't hold up to the stretching. Again, back to the cheap fabric (not necessarily a cheap priced) shirt.

OMG! This is an awesome thread (shows what a dork I am :glare:) It has been driving me insane why my t-shirts have been getting holes right around the belly button. Mine are mostly Gap t-shirts and favorite ones at that. It was driving me bonkers how I could have these in the same spot on multiple shirts.

In all actuality I was thinking mine were from being so thin and rubbing on the counter in the kitchen. It still is pretty pathetic though that the quality is that poor.

Do any of you have granite counters with chips in them? My parents' counters were chipped (before they got them fixed) and I ruined about 6 shirts when we were staying with them from the counters. Holes right at the belly button from rubbing against the chipped spots at the sink and reaching up to get dishes. I know it was the counters, I saw myself snag one shirt and it happened in slow motion so I couldn't stop it. :glare:

I also want to know which line is not made cheap like the others now??