Menu

Homemade Christmas Gifts?

I love that chalkboard book! Have you seen the chalkboard Contact paper? I bought it to make tags for my canisters, but havn't used it yet.

I'm trying to figure out how many mini loaves I get out of one batch of pumpkin bread. I think I shall do a little research on that today.

I'm considering making mini rum cakes, too. I love rum cakes and they keep so well that they don't have to be delivered fresh out of the oven. Always a plus!

Oh, and do you think it would be weird to give homemade vanilla and something to use on your body (the lotion bars) and something baked?

Oh, and pumpkin pie playdough!

some ideas from previous years...

aprons embroidered with child's name or initial or appliqued with initial and jar mixes for older child and homemade felt food for younger child

painted wooden peg people--i've even seen little bowling sets made with these too..

reindeer poop stocking stuffers

reindeer candy canes

rainbow crayons

decoupaged wooden blocks--decoupaged with scenes cut out from comic books and also pictures of the boys dressed up as various super heroes

this year we plan on making:

bubble magnets with pictures

beeswax candles

some deocupaged vintage comic art for the boy's bedrooms

essential oils

wet felted balls

would leave to hear other ideas....

seema

I'm finalizing the list and plans. I've made about a gallon and a half of vanilla and we are making body butter bars this week. I'm considering sugar scrub, too, and maybe some pumpkin bread.

What are all of you making? :bigear:

Oreo truffles are always a possibility, too.

And peppermint bark.

Do you have a good online source for vanilla beans? The site rec'd by my friends is always out of stock. :glare:

I have not even started planning, though I hoped to make most of my gifts this year. I had better hop to it!

My mother gave us a great idea, I think. She's an artist, and often cuts up old abstract water color paintings that didn't quite work, and uses them for bookmarks. They're beautiful, useful, and easy to mail or use for stocking stuffers. I, personally, never have enough bookmarks. :)

For children, last year I made some fleece afghan blankets with appliques of their initials, and this year I plan to make some beanbags/beanbag animals and prepare some packets of home-cut origami paper with instructions.

This year I'm making peg dolls for my girls, possibly some bean bags and felt food.

In past years I embroidered my dh's initials into some handkerchiefs (in a manly way). :) I also once etched a football logo onto a mirror for a friend who was obsessed and had a whole bedroom dedicated to this team's decor. It was pretty easy and not too expensive either.

I actually find that surfing around on Etsy gives me lots of inspiration for things to do, especially kids toys. I'm going to be making my car-obsessed dd3 one of these for Christmas this year as well. Well, not exactly like that one, but that sort of thing. I really wanted one of these, but can't justify the price in our situation. It looks awesome though.

Edited by MeaganS

Speaking of vanilla and vanilla sugar. I had some vanilla sugar sitting in my baking area for probably a year and finally used it to make a sauce for poached pears. It was delicious. I think it wouldn't really work or be too subtle.

I'm knitting myself a circular scarf. It it turns out nice, then I might make one for my MIL.

My DD is making something for relatives - we got this idea from a community art centre. You buy inexpensive bathroom tiles (white or black) they are about 15 cent each. Then you glue on mosaic tiles (can also add jewels, buttons, beads). If you leave the center flat with mosaic tiles, then you can call them coasters. Otherwise, they can just be 'art'.

I also like to root rosemary plants in the fall. We can sometimes overwinter the rosemary plants in our garden, but if we have a very cold winter then they die. I will usually give away a few at Christmas or in the spring.

Then there is baked goods.

I will definitely be trying out those body butter bars! They sound great!

Beyond that, I will make some chocolate covered raisin clusters, saltine candy, cookies (of course) and numerous varieties of applesauce, some salsa, and apple butter. I need another good suggestion, though. Maybe something for the menfolk?

I actually find that surfing around on Etsy gives me lots of inspiration for things to do, especially kids toys. I'm going to be making my car-obsessed dd3 one of these for Christmas this year as well. Well, not exactly like that one, but that sort of thing. I really wanted one of these, but can't justify the price in our situation. It looks awesome though.

Ooooh, love that car wallet. So cute!

I'm just wondering how I can get on your gift lists?? Those body bars sound wonderful!! :drool: I'm more of a 'bake-a-holic' around the holidays and my gifts are for teachers (@ our HomeConnection program), mailperson, neighbors and the like and the gifts tend to be cookies, loaves of some type of bread, fudge, candies etc. I love to make it all, but can't have it in the house!

not doing that much here---the few close relatives that we will be buying for I think this year I've made up my mind to get books....I've gotten 2 and haven't even started on the lists....one year I made bath salts.....just don't have the energy/gumption to do it that time of year-with Zach's birthday and the holiday stresses......this year I'm declaring NO STRESS HOLIDAYS.......

I agree about the no-stress holidays, but.....dh is about to deploy and I'm a stress baker, so that is how I work it all out.

Last night as I was about to spray Pam on my mini loaf pans I noted a spot of rust and just BURST INTO TEARS. Apparently,

9/11 + deployment + PMS=meltdown. :001_huh:

A pg friend of mine requested bread pudding so I am doing a Bread Pudding series this week:Apple Bread Pudding with Warm Vanilla Sauce, Double Chocolate Bread Pudding and I guess regular old plain bread pudding, although I've never made the plain kind.

I agree about the no-stress holidays, but.....dh is about to deploy and I'm a stress baker, so that is how I work it all out.

Last night as I was about to spray Pam on my mini loaf pans I noted a spot of rust and just BURST INTO TEARS. Apparently,

9/11 + deployment + PMS=meltdown. :001_huh:

A pg friend of mine requested bread pudding so I am doing a Bread Pudding series this week:Apple Bread Pudding with Warm Vanilla Sauce, Double Chocolate Bread Pudding and I guess regular old plain bread pudding, although I've never made the plain kind.

First, :grouphug:.

Then, Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Espresso Whipped Cream. :D

Ooooh, is there a pattern? :)

Nope!

Step one: Scrounge book case.

Step two: Decorate!

We've got one with two shelves which my dad made years ago to fit school folders, so it's a good size. He only put a bar across the back, so I'll have to take that off and replace it with a plywood sheet or something. When I was a kid I saw a book on decorating doll houses and they used red lentils as floor tiles which tickled my fancy, so I've wanted to do that ever since! Mum is making her some pipecleaner dolls to go with it.

:)

Rosie

I was just contemplating this tonight. I like to give homemade gifts, it seems more thoughtful somehow. Ds and I have been going through ornament projects so he can pick some to make for various relatives. I think I'm going with scented bath salts and flavored instant coffee mixes for the adult contribution.

I'd like to make this for my brother and SIL, but am not sure if they will like it or not. I think if I find nice looking plates I can do this on my miniscule budget, but my taste and theirs is different.

http://jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-your-own-tiered-serving.html

They live in CA, like Ikea, and kind of...classic-modern expensive looking stuff. Maybe Target for plates?

Yes, you should be able to find some at Target. They have the melamine plates that would work really well. Square solid colors or round with some modern patterns.

For the stem, probably a metal candlestick or the are direction on the web to use a metal rod. I'll see if I can find that for you. That would look more modern.