Menu

Need board game recommendations

I love Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride. Zooloreto is also awesome for younger kids up to adults. You've Been Sentenced is a new one for us--build sentences, lots of fun.

Mystery of the Abbey is another new fave--kind of like Clue, there's murder mystery in the Abbey (with some Latin as well!), but much more challenging and more complex gameplay. This would be great for teaching logical thought as well (there are 24 suspects, a variety of characteristics, and you have to ask good questions).

The best games are never found at mainstream toystores.

A great site to really search out some fun games:

Boardgamegeek.com

I love Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride.
I'd recommend starting with these, perhaps with Carcassonne (Hunters and Gatherers is our fave) thrown in.

We own over 170 board games and it's my dh's hobby, soo...

10 days in europe, asia or USA - these are actually TONS of fun and we don't "believe in" buying games for the purpose of education, but this one has TONS of educational value, and *very* fun- intense, quiet thinking, moderately paced game.

SNORTA- this was a hit with our friends from church and it was absolutely hilarious. Very fun, silly game for adults and kids over 11 or so.

Lost Cities- this is an inexpensive, fun, fast card game that uses some math skills too.

San Juan- if you're interested in trying out your first real resource management game, this one is my absolute favorite. We've played ours over and over again. At firs the directions are difficult to understand but once you get going it's easy, fun, intense, and addicitive. Also it may open up the world of resource management gaming to your kids, which is a clean, moral, fun, and intelligent hobby.

I highly recommend www.boardgamegeek.com There are reviews, and lots of information. If you create an account, I think it will recommend games for you now.

I also love FOR SALE which is another inexpensive, fast moving card game which involves some math. Players bid on real estate.

And another easy play, gentle, conversation game is Carcassonne. It's not really that exciting, but it's fun in a completion sort of way...it's sort of like the satisfaction you get completing a puzzle. That's how you feel playing this game. And you can talk while playing because it's not very hard or intense. It's very nice and should be in everyone's collection.

Hope that gets you started.

For variety and travel, I can recommend a number of Gamewright card games. Your gang may be too young for Sleeping Queens, but I like to remind everyone that it was invented by a homeschooler. Zeus on the Loose and Frog Juice are fun card games as well.

Jane

We really enjoy many of the suggestions above--Carcassonne, Settlers, San Juan, Ticket to Ride, Zooloretto.

However (and maybe we're just slow?) I think the OP's kids are too young to really play and enjoy these games. The oldest is 7, right? That's about the bottom age for our kids to play these, and even then they needed lots of help and coaching. I think the 5yo would get frustrated.

But, like I said, we might be below grade level here. ;):D

Zooloretto even works with non-readers (my 4 year old enjoys it), and Ticket to Ride is pretty simple as well. Probably depends on how many games you play! But you are right... I don't think the average 4 or 5 year old would like Settlers or San Juan. You know your own kids!

Rivers, Roads and Rails is a younger children's game with sort of the "feel" of Carcassonne. Enchanted Garden also fun for non-readers.

I didn't even know there was a Monty Python Fluxx! I've been missing out!

My sixteen year old son sends his deep thanks for this news flash. He only wishes that he did not have to wait until the autumn for Python Fluxx to be released.

Jane

My sixteen year old son sends his deep thanks for this news flash. He only wishes that he did not have to wait until the autumn for Python Fluxx to be released.

Jane

I just love the Looney Labs games! Do you have Fictionary? We bought the blanks pack and have made a ton of our own cards. We also love Chrononauts.

Not an actual game, but Snap Circuits provide hours of fun. Also, there are some great deals right now on Amazon for Cranium games, if you decide to go that route. These are things we recently bought and are very happy with:

http://www.amazon.com/Briar-Patch-BP06120-Spy-Eagle/dp/B000EMRVB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1212002196&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DMBG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M5YKI6

This isn't really a board game, but have you tried "Rush Hour?" It keeps my kids busy for a long time!

Laura

I haven't tried that one yet but I've been thinking about getting for my son for Christmas.

My son loves the card came Duck Duck Bruce! I change the rules slightly so that all hands are facing upward. He caught on to the game quickly and loves to play.

My daughter loves UNO. She has an Angelina Ballerina kids set that is pretty nice - I don't normally like "character" stuff but the artwork is kind of cute.

The Amazing Labyrinth that has been suggested is a hit with my kids too.

Gulo Gulo always gets recommended over at BoardGameGeek but we haven't tried that one yet.

I just love the Looney Labs games! Do you have Fictionary? We bought the blanks pack and have made a ton of our own cards. We also love Chrononauts.

No--we own and have given several versions of Fluxx. Some of the adolescent humor that has made its way on to the blank cards is, well, interesting.

My son often attends 4-H functions with a Fluxx deck in his pocket, perfect for those hurry up and wait moments that inevitably happen within groups.

These other games look like perfect stocking stuffers.

Thanks! Jane

We have enjoyed Apples to Apples!

I was just getting ready to recommend it too, lol! Great game, best w/ 4 or more people playing. We love it & have a blast.

Thanks, everyone, for all the other recommendations. There are some great ideas here!

oooh, I bought Rat-a-Tat Cat for my daughter's 4th birthday (on June 2nd) Should I hold it until Christmas or do you think its reasonable that a 4 year old can play? She plays UNO now and she plays well, how would Rat-a-Tat compare?

Hello Jumping in Puddles,

There's a good review here which discusses the game and also gives a variant version for younger children. See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/217881

See what you think! For the regular game, knowledge of numbers and good memory are key.

Regards,

Kareni