Menu

D&C in office or O.R.?

Just went in for my first OB visit at 9weeks and was told it looks like the pregnancy ended within the last week. :angelsad2:

I would rather miscarry naturally at home but it may take a while and the risk of infection increases with time. I don't want to induce it chemically with an Rx so I think I'll go with a d&C. If I go to the OB office it's done and over quickly but I will hear things going on and cramp and bleed alot. I'm already very emotional about this pregnancy.

If i go to the OR its more hubub and prep and of course anesthesia but I'll be all groggy and maybe nauseous and I feel like I'd be checking out, like wake me up when it's over. What have you done?

I've had both, and I would never, ever do th OB again. Hearing it was really traumatic for me. Go to the OR and insist they put you all the way under.

And I'm so sorry for your loss :(

:iagree:

Although my opinion may mean nothing, I have never had this happen. However I have been in a room when someone had one done. I would want to be put out if I ever needed it done. Way out.

:grouphug:

I've had four miscarriages and subsequent D&Cs. Three done in the office...no problems whatsoever. It's over in less than five minutes. No pain and minimal bleeding and cramping afterwards. Less than a light period. The last one I had done in OR because I was pregnant with twins and they were concerned about bleeding. I did not want general anesthesia at all....hate the aftereffects. Hate them. Again it was very easy and over in less than five minutes.

I think either way is fine and honestly, the D&C is the far less painful way to go emotionally and physically.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

I've had three miscarriages, with one needing a D&C. I had it in an OR but they didn't give me a general anesthesia. I can't remember the name of what they gave me but it makes a person awake but unaware. I had no memory of the procedure but apparently I had been quite the chatty Cathy. :blush: Still, it was better than being completely under.

I went through this several years ago. I wasn't even given the option of an OB's office so it was performed in the OR. I was put out completely and I can't imagine any other way. I remember thinking, "The anesthesia isn't working!" and the next second having the nurse waking me up.

I'm sorry for your loss!

I've had both, and I would never, ever do th OB again. Hearing it was really traumatic for me. Go to the OR and insist they put you all the way under.

And I'm so sorry for your loss :(

:iagree: I've haven't had one in an OBs office, but when I had mine at the hospital after my miscarriage. The anesthetist asked about my preference in anestesia and I told him I didn't have one, but that whatever he gave me I expected it to completely knock me out.

:grouphug:I'm so sorry:grouphug:

I've miscarried twice. The first started naturally with really, really bad bleeding and cramping. It ended with a D&C in the ER. The second happened naturally with absolutely no cramping and only minimal bleeding. I didn't need any procedure afterward.

It was much less traumatic the second time, but if a D&C was needed, I would prefer the OR.

so much for your hugs, prayers and feedback.

This is my 3rd miscarriage---the first I had a d&c in the OR the day of or after the m/c dont remember clearly. I now have 3 children, 15, 13 and 9. Then a m/c in 2007 at 10 weeks and passed the pregnancy naturally with no problems. This time they gave me options and none of them are lovely---I am more distraught this time around because it was such a surprise, after almost 10 years and both of us much older, we were just wrapping our minds and lives around a new life and just as suddenly it's over. I'm trying not to spriral but I want to acknowledge my grief without more trauma. Thank you all for understanding.

I've had 5 miscarriages, treated at the OB one time due to heavy hemorrhaging, twice in the OR, the other 2 times things "took care of themselves" at home.

Given a choice, and good medical coverage, I would pick the OR route, hands-down. It's much less traumatic.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you this weekend. :grouphug:

:grouphug: so sorry you have to ask :grouphug:

Mine was in an OR and I was out for it. With all of the hormones/emotions I was inundated with for the 2 weeks prior, I was numb by the day it was scheduled. I remember walking around the hospital like a robot but on the verge of tears at the same time. I don't think I would want to remember any more that I do. It is a day burned into my memory.

Just make sure it's really over. I was told it was, because my Dr didn't know how big the "fetus/baby" should be. She was offering to schedule me for a D&C..... If you can have a miscarriage without intervention, it's better, as some of the complications from having an abortion... exist if you have a D&C :( I'm really sorry for you:(

I'm so sorry.

I don't see anything you posted that indicates you need to intervene at all. D&Cs carry risks and I'm not clear on why anyone would suggest this. The three times I miscarried I was told it was safer by the OB, nurse, and a researcher I read later to not intervene at all unless something was going wrong. D&Cs create a higher rate of miscarriage in subsequent pregnancies than in natural miscarriages where women refuse the D&C. There are risks of organ damage too (cervical and uterine.)

My first child died 4 weeks before the miscarriage process began (8 weeks developed at 12 weeks into the pregnancy.) I know people who miscarried a couple of months after the baby died. None of us had uterine infections from it. What is the actual rate of uterine infection from natural miscarriages? Considering how common miscarriages are and how recent the D&C process is in human history, I think automatically assuming it's necessary is questionable. Is there something that indicates you are in an unusual medical situation?

When I did get a uterine infection from my c-section several years later they were able to treat it.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
clarification

I had the d&c in the OR yesterday and it all went well. I was totally at ease in the morning having talked through everything with my husband and 2 close friends, praying and bathing my mind in the psalms on cd all night.

I woke up afterward and cried a little; went to recovery and was ready to go home within 2hrs. The staff was very kind and supportive.

I am home in my pjs with soup and bread and love. No pain/complications. I do thank everyone again for hugs and prayers

I had the d&c in the OR yesterday and it all went well. I was totally at ease in the morning having talked through everything with my husband and 2 close friends, praying and bathing my mind in the psalms on cd all night.

I woke up afterward and cried a little; went to recovery and was ready to go home within 2hrs. The staff was very kind and supportive.

I am home in my pjs with soup and bread and love. No pain/complications. I do thank everyone again for hugs and prayers

Your experience sounds just like mine after my first miscarriage. I know how hard it is and has been for you. :grouphug::grouphug:

BTW- for those that mentioned no need for d&c, when I was told that my baby had died, there is no way I could have waited indefinitely for nature to take its course. It was seriously messing with my mind to know that the baby was still there. Everyone is different and experiences are different. In my case, the d&c may not have been physically necessary but it was certainly mentally necessary.

:grouphug: we had friends over a few weeks afterwards, and everyone planted daffodil bulbs in memory of our "sojourner". we cried, ate a lot of chocolate, and felt much better. when the flowers came up in the spring it was a lovely and sad thing.

the healing from acknowledging the loss with friends was immeasurable.

ann

BTW- for those that mentioned no need for d&c, when I was told that my baby had died, there is no way I could have waited indefinitely for nature to take its course. It was seriously messing with my mind to know that the baby was still there. Everyone is different and experiences are different. In my case, the d&c may not have been physically necessary but it was certainly mentally necessary.

:iagree:

My OB gave me a choice. I could wait 2 weeks and still possibly need the D&C or have it done right away. There was just no way I could live in that kind of limbo for up to 2 weeks and keep my sanity. I just wanted it over with so I could heal and move on.

Whenever I have a D&C I cry when I wake up. I think it is a combo of the twilight meds they give me and the finality of the situation.

So sorry for you loss and thankful you have soup, bread, and love as you recover. Take it easy. And, if you have never gone through this before, be very aware of your due date. It kind of creeps up unawares and can throw you for a loop.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: