Menu

A PIG? what the what?? HELP!

Every year we encourage our lace-and-fairy-tale princess do the county fair greased pig chase; it's part of our attempt to make her into a well-rounded individual. Of course she's too dainty to actually catch one, so we just go for the lark and Superior Education of it all.

Until today.

So, um, let me introduce you to the newest member of our family, Charlotte. She's the pink one.

Now what???

What I need to know: how much does it cost to raise and care for a pig? She's at a friend's farm right now with a few other pig buddies, and I THINK we can keep her there until eatin' time, which I'm told is in about six months. But it's all very Green Acres. Should we just sell her to someone? Or is the bacon worth the, er, bacon?

Lots and lots of advice, pretty please??? Thank you so very much.

post-9866-13535085386121_thumb.jpg

I had a pet pig. We ended up eating her. She was a pain. Charlotte's Web is fiction.

Sorrry, it was so long ago I couldn't tell you how much we fed her or any other details. I can tell you that she broke out of her pen and into my back porch where she ate dog and cat food.

You should definitely eat the pig.

If your kids feel reluctant, educate them about the realities of factory farming. Your pig is very, very lucky to live in the open air and root around like pigs love to do. If you don't eat her, you'll probably be eating a pig that was kept in a cage barely big enough for its body and never even had the chance ot stand on real earth.

is a good overview of what a pig's life is like in factory farming.

You. want. to. EAT her? :svengo: She's adorable. She should have her own room, w/ a t.v. and a canopy bed and everything. And yes, I loooove bacon, but umm, not her!

:iagree: ROFL! She should be treated like Mercy Watson. She's so cute! (I'm just joking - I'm all for people raising their own food if they have the ability!)

First let me say :lol::lol::lol:. Ok, I got that off of my chest. Second, call your local 4-H group and ask if they had any kids raise pigs this year for your local fair. They should have some idea how much it will cost in YOUR area. I could give you amounts for Northern California but I suspect that we pay far more than other areas of the country. Good luck with your new sausage factory.

We raise several pis each year, and don't buy food for them other than a bag of barley a month. We feed ours kitchen scraps( no meat), extra milk, and weeds from the garden.

They grow more slowly than if we were giving free choice grain, but I think they are healthier and it is not as expensive.

Did you know that if you make cheese, pigs thrive on the leftover whey? They can be raised on only whey and pasture or hay.

They also are easy to train to electric fencing. We pen ours in the spent garden where they eat the leftovers and till and fertilize for the coming year.

OK. So the good news is my friend says she can board Charlotte for us.

That means our dp has a place to stay indefinitely. Now we just have to figure out the food thing. And whether we're supposed to take her to get shots at the vet, if you have to scrub her in the tub once a week, and if we're supposed to bring her special treats when we visit so she'll know she's meant to like US best.

Yesterday I asked the guy handing out little bags of feed how much it costs to feed a pig. He very helpfully said it depends on how much they eat. :glare:

I DO think, Nance, you've got a brilliant idea on your hands with the kilt thing (assuming it's ok for a girl pig to wear a kilt? but her name is Charlotte, which is halfway to Mason, right?). So dd can learn to care for an animal AND sew at the same time. Unfortunately, she can learn neither of these things from me, so back to Google I go. After I edit my signature, obviously.