Menu

Not in love with the art instuction books I bought...any suggestions

genny

DD will be 5 very soon and LOVES colouring and drawing. I want to include art instruction in our schooling and so I bought 'Artistic Pursuits' and 'Drawing with Children' ... I really don't like either... am I the only one not in love with them?

Any suggestions on what else to try??? I would like something to improve her stick girls and help her to draw animals. Not looking for arts and crafts kinda art projects IYKWIM...will be doing a whole bunch of that kind of fun stuff too;)

TIA:D

It might be a little advanced but I am loving The Phonics of Drawing which I got to use with my 11, 8, and 6 (almost 7) year olds this year. Every lesson is laid out with exactly what materials to use and what steps to take and it is written to explain the expectations one should have for different age levels. I've been very pleased with the lessons we've done so far and it has been very simple to implement.

DD will be 5 very soon and LOVES colouring and drawing. I want to include art instruction in our schooling and so I bought 'Artistic Pursuits' and 'Drawing with Children' ... I really don't like either... am I the only one not in love with them?

Any suggestions on what else to try??? I would like something to improve her stick girls and help her to draw animals. Not looking for arts and crafts kinda art projects IYKWIM...will be doing a whole bunch of that kind of fun stuff too;)

Oh no! Would you mind sharing what you don't like about Drawing With Children? I just found a copy recently and haven't gotten too deeply into it yet.

I can't get into Drawing With Children either.

I second Ed Emberley books. I like the Green Book and the Fingerprint Book best.

I also like: Teaching Art with Books Kids Love and Using Color in Your Art

Most of 1-2-3 Draw People might be too much for a kindergartener, but this is my favorite resource for introducing anything a step up from the potato people in the Green Book.

Oh no! Would you mind sharing what you don't like about Drawing With Children? I just found a copy recently and haven't gotten too deeply into it yet.

Don't let my opinion put you off ... I've heard a lot of people like it ... I'm probably just the odd ball here:lol:

I can't really put my finger on why I don't like it ... I guess I'm looking for something more fun...I've read through and it seems dry to me. I think I'll try a couple lessons with dd just to see if she feels the same way. It also doesn't seem to have a lot of projects .... I dunno maybe it 's just me:confused:

Feeling a little frustrated ... I would love to find something we could both have a lot of fun doing.

Have you looked at Ed Emberley's books? We got the Make a World book and my ds7 thinks it is neat. He especially liked that the pictures had steps that made even complicated animals possible for him to draw.

We have his pictur pie 2 book ... dd loves making animals out of construction paper and turning them into little thank you cards for people...

Which Artistic Pursuits did you get? We have book one and I love it. So does my mom, who is an artist. What don't you like about it?

I got the k-3 Book One .. an introuction to the visual arts. It feels more like art history than instruction...

Don't let my opinion put you off ... I've heard a lot of people like it ... I'm probably just the odd ball here:lol:

I can't really put my finger on why I don't like it ... I guess I'm looking for something more fun...I've read through and it seems dry to me. I think I'll try a couple lessons with dd just to see if she feels the same way. It also doesn't seem to have a lot of projects .... I dunno maybe it 's just me:confused:

Feeling a little frustrated ... I would love to find something we could both have a lot of fun doing.

I hope you find something! The only issue I have with DWC so far is the markers. :tongue_smilie: I swore I would never. ever. have markers in my house. Hah. At least they're washable.

I've always been curious about Teaching Art with Books Kids Love.

My boys aren't that much older. They like all the Usborne drawing books because the images are colorful and appealing and it leads them to try new techniques. Also, they like the Doodles for... series because it's step by step and leads to something they can actually copy (unlike a lot of art books we've seen).

Not sure but I really like this blog and the art is free.

Art Projects for Kids ( http://www.artprojectsforkids.org )

The lady also sells stuff but I use the art projects she has on her website. There are tons of them.

If you scroll down a little and look on the left hand side under Labels. She has it divided into grade, artist, and type of art. We just recently did a lot of her projects this summer to enter into the fair. I can't wait to see how they do. But we really had lots of fun with them, and it was all free instruction.

Art Projects for Kids ( www.artprojectsforkids.org )

The lady also sells stuff but I use the art projects she has on her website. There are tons of them.

If you scroll down a little and look on the left hand side under Labels. She has it divided into grade, artist, and type of art. We just recently did a lot of her projects this summer to enter into the fair. I can't wait to see how they do. But we really had lots of fun with them, and it was all free instruction.

Thanks for the link...free is always good:tongue_smilie::D

I was thinking of trying usborne...did your little one's have any favorite in particular?

This is the one we like best. It's not an instructional book per se. It's more like an inspirational book. Usborne also makes "How to Draw..." books that seem good too... We had one at one point from the library and they enjoyed it, but we haven't owned any. I think a lot of it depends on your goals with art, you know?

My kids really like the Draw Write Now books for drawing. They often pull them out on their own to use.

These are cute books... Do you have your kids practice writing before drawing??? DD isn't the greatest at printing but maybe using this will motivate her to practice more:001_smile: Did it help your kids with printing?

This is the one we like best. It's not an instructional book per se. It's more like an inspirational book. Usborne also makes "How to Draw..." books that seem good too... We had one at one point from the library and they enjoyed it, but we haven't owned any. I think a lot of it depends on your goals with art, you know?

I've been to the library to check out their art books for kids...basically nada:glare: The librarian said to bring a list of books I need for hs'ing and they would add to their library...I should put usborne on the list...

Agree with the Usborne suggestion... sooo motivating, so many styles and techniques, and so much fun!

There is actually a set of Usborne art books for younger kids, where they use crayon in imaginative ways (and other media too) and draw all kinds of little-kid friendly stuff. Good for age 4 - 7 or so, I'd say.

These are cute books... Do you have your kids practice writing before drawing??? DD isn't the greatest at printing but maybe using this will motivate her to practice more:001_smile: Did it help your kids with printing?

I never really used them as part of curriculum. I was lucky and somehow got a bunch free, I can't remember how. I just had them and we pulled them out in K and drew some animals. When ds was in 1st grade and we were studying animals I did use them more as part of his science notebook. We'd read about an animals, he'd tell me a few facts. Sometimes I'd write on the paper and he'd draw the picture. Sometime I'd write and have him copy the printing.

Now they mostly just pull them off the shelf on their own and draw. They don't use the writing part of it.

We participated in CC Foundations (Cycle 2) this past year, wherein we used Drawing with Children (drawing) and Discovering Great Artists (artists/other mediums) during Fine Arts. I tutored my little man class and I can honestly say that that is the only reason I used Drawing with Children, because it was required. I did NOT like it and most likely would never have used it on my own. Using some helps from CC's file sharing, and overview/lesson plans by Donna Young, my artistic and wonderfully supportive hubby, and (of course) God's grace were what got me through it. Otherwise I think I would have been throwing the book at the wall and canceling... ummm, well you get the point. That being said, our lessons sparked an interest in my little man, so I knew I wanted to keep up the same type of rotation between drawing and working with other mediums.

We're going to use I Can Do All Things by Barry Stebbings for drawing and Artistic Pursuits for artists/history/other mediums. Now here's some food for thought. I didn't care for Artistic Pursuits the first few times I looked at it (for K4, K5, and G1). At those times... my gut told me that my little man wouldn't like it either, but perhaps the timing just wasn't right. The last time I looked at AP, I realized it was exactly what I wanted. Now I think AP is going to work well for us this year.

Melissa (who willingly relinquishes and bestows the artist title upon my better half) :)

Edited by CMama

- "The Big Yellow Drawing Book" -- by Dan O'Neill

- "1, 2, 3 Draw ..." series by Freddie Levin

- "How to Teach Art to Children" -- Evan-Moore

- "Draw Squad" -- Mark Kistler

Don't be fooled (or put off) by the "cartoon" look to the Big Yellow Drawing Book and Draw Squad -- they teach the basic requirements for art (line, shading, contour, etc.) in a simplified format that then allows the student to really take off in ALL drawing!

It might be a little advanced but I am loving The Phonics of Drawing which I got to use with my 11, 8, and 6 (almost 7) year olds this year. Every lesson is laid out with exactly what materials to use and what steps to take and it is written to explain the expectations one should have for different age levels. I've been very pleased with the lessons we've done so far and it has been very simple to implement.

Thanks so much for commenting on this. I've been thinking about getting it, but wasn't sure. It is on my list of "things to get soon." :D

Art Projects for Kids ( www.artprojectsforkids.org )

Nice - thank you!

Thanks so much for commenting on this. I've been thinking about getting it, but wasn't sure. It is on my list of "things to get soon." :D

I just look through the preview for this book ... was it easy for your youngest to use?

I find Drawing with Children works with older kids, 8 and up (my second time using it). I still use Artpacs and other supplments with it to extend the concepts.

Try something simpler - Artpacs maybe even. Teach to cut, color, etc. Really it is much simpler and accomplishes quite a bit for such a small pack.

I know what you're asking for and I typically hate when people come in and respond with some other suggestion entirely. However... :tongue_smilie:

At age 5, I would recommend giving her good materials and letting her process evolve on its own. Be aware that once your child learns that there is a "right" way to draw something, she may find it a hard road to get back to her own artistic vision and free, wanton process. (This is especially true if she is a perfectionist--don't know if that applies.) Frankly, anyone can learn to draw people but then what you will frequently see is heaps upon heaps of crumpled papers from getting it "wrong." Once you have an example to go by, you have the immediate ability to fail, where before you just had free expression. I would encourage you to give Drawing with Children a good, hard second look. What it teaches are techniques that can be applied to any kind of drawing, not how to draw a _______. I am sure that there are some kids who can use these books and not feel locked into that example as the example. Still, I do not think they are necessary and I wouldn't give them to a child without the child specifically asking for such a resource.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. --Pablo Picasso (not my favorite artist by a long shot, but he makes a great point here!)

For good philosophical reading and to lay out a method of teaching art to children, rather than detailed instructions for how to draw specific things, I highly recommend The Art of Teaching Art to Children.

Feel free to ignore... I am annoying myself here! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I am using Artistic Pursuits with my kids specifically because it incorporates history. For applied art, we have an art area with supplies and I use the Art of Teaching book above as my philosophical guide.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I know what you're asking for and I typically hate when people come in and respond with some other suggestion entirely. However... :tongue_smilie:

At age 5, I would recommend giving her good materials and letting her process evolve on its own. Be aware that once your child learns that there is a "right" way to draw something, she may find it a hard road to get back to her own artistic vision and free, wanton process. (This is especially true if she is a perfectionist--don't know if that applies.) Frankly, anyone can learn to draw people but then what you will frequently see is heaps upon heaps of crumpled papers from getting it "wrong." Once you have an example to go by, you have the immediate ability to fail, where before you just had free expression. I would encourage you to give Drawing with Children a good, hard second look. What it teaches are techniques that can be applied to any kind of drawing, not how to draw a _______. I am sure that there are some kids who can use these books and not feel locked into that example as the example. Still, I do not think they are necessary and I wouldn't give them to a child without the child specifically asking for such a resource.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. --Pablo Picasso (not my favorite artist by a long shot, but he makes a great point here!)

For good philosophical reading and to lay out a method of teaching art to children, rather than detailed instructions for how to draw specific things, I highly recommend The Art of Teaching Art to Children.

Feel free to ignore... I am annoying myself here! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I am using Artistic Pursuits with my kids specifically because it incorporates history. For applied art, we have an art area with supplies and I use the Art of Teaching book above as my philosophical guide.

Not annoying at all and I somewhat agree with you:) I wouldn't want to ruin her crazy creativity:lol: I think she would be even more creative with some pointers/examples;):001_smile:

My boys did not like Artistic Pursuits at all, mainly because their work never looked like it was 'supposed' to.

My dd, on the other hand, loved it. She is a very good artist. However, I was frustrated with it because if her work wasn't what she wanted, I couldn't help her (I'm no artist). Eventually, I signed her up for art class with a real artist. She loves it.

I looked the Art Projects for Kids and it looks like something my youngest will enjoy, so we'll give it a try.

I am a former art teacher. The first thing you need to do is look up Lowenfeld's stages of development. It sounds like your DD is right on track! ;)

I posted this in another thread...here are some good links for sites.

http://www.universalleonardo.org/

This is a little more structured and probably a little to old for your DD.

http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/explore.cfm

Learn the elements and principles of art.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

This site is LOADED with tons of lesson plans and projects.

http://www.artsonia.com/

I used this site to get ideas for lessons. (Again I am a former art teacher, so I would see something on here, then pull info about the artist, ect...and then do it in class)

http://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/

http://www.picassohead.com/create.html

http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/

http://jacksonpollock.org/

http://www.kerpoof.com/

These are just some random links that are good to play on.

I also have a subscription to Mark Kistlers draw squad. (I am a child of the 80's and grew up watching him on Secret City!) My girls LOVE his drawing videos. We throw it up on the projector in our school room and they practice drawing while watching him.

Hope that helps!

I am a former art teacher. The first thing you need to do is look up Lowenfeld's stages of development. It sounds like your DD is right on track! ;)

I posted this in another thread...here are some good links for sites.

http://www.universalleonardo.org/

This is a little more structured and probably a little to old for your DD.

http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/explore.cfm

Learn the elements and principles of art.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

This site is LOADED with tons of lesson plans and projects.

http://www.artsonia.com/

I used this site to get ideas for lessons. (Again I am a former art teacher, so I would see something on here, then pull info about the artist, ect...and then do it in class)

http://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/

http://www.picassohead.com/create.html

http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter/

http://jacksonpollock.org/

http://www.kerpoof.com/

These are just some random links that are good to play on.

I also have a subscription to Mark Kistlers draw squad. (I am a child of the 80's and grew up watching him on Secret City!) My girls LOVE his drawing videos. We throw it up on the projector in our school room and they practice drawing while watching him.

Hope that helps!

Wow thanks for all the links ... quick question... do you think Mark Kistlers is easy for a 5 year old to do? I've heard a lot of good things about him but was initially turned off because I thought it was too cartoonish.

Wow thanks for all the links ... quick question... do you think Mark Kistlers is easy for a 5 year old to do? I've heard a lot of good things about him but was initially turned off because I thought it was too cartoonish.

Absolutely. My DDs are 6 and 9. They love Mark Kistler! I like him because he uses the correct terminology in his drawings. Yes, the things are very "cartoony" but he does a good job of building up how to draw. The videos for the most part are laid out in order that start simple and get more difficult. I look through them each week, and then assign the particular drawing lessons for my girls. (again, we pretty much go in order of the videos)

Just an fyi, the human form and animals are VERY difficult for children to draw. They do not have an understanding of form and space well enough to draw them until about middle school. I never had my students draw (for an assignment) a life-like animal or human. They could do that in their free time if they wanted. :001_smile:

I agree about the books a few other pp have mentioned...(they are in my never ending collection!)...The Art of Teaching Children is wonderful because it is written by an art teacher for parents who want to do art at home. And Teaching Art Through Books Kids Love is also great! That was a staple in my art room...most of my lessons started forming from that book.

Thank you for this recommendation. I am currently reading The Art of teaching Art to children by Nancy Beal and I find this an inspiring way to approach art. What she says about parents often being fearful of the material and fearful of "failing" in art makes so much sense to me. I am now in the process of gathering the materials for our art studies and looking forward to some open exploration without going too deeply into the elements of design at this point.

:iagree: