Menu

Hurricane Check-In Thread--Come here to tell us you are ok

Does anyone have news from Newport News, VA? We have family there.

Thanks.

My daughter and her family are stationed at Fort Eustis, which is near Newport News. Her power is back on and she said the puddles have all dried up in her neighborhood. I visited her in July and when it rained, puddles were everywhere and her backyard was saturated. Needless to say, when I heard they would receive the brunt of the storm, I was concerned, but all is well. I hope the same for your family in the area.:grouphug:

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have news from Newport News, VA? We have family there.

Thanks.

Newport News, Hampton, etc. seemed to have faired okay. You can see reports at www.wavy.com

There was power outages and flooding, but nothing that was too terrible. A fallen tree did kill a child though. :(

The bases will open this afternoon if memory serves me right.

This is for nono and Jeannie: :banghead:

Thank goodness everyone is safe and no one has been devastated. I hope Renthead Mommy is OK out on Long Island though!

My parents' power came back on a few hours ago, and the water has stopped seeping into their basement. We're all good here and did some driving around earlier. A few low-lying areas are flooded, and Route 18 through New Brunswick was flooded by the Raritan River, which has leapt its banks on both sides. Most of Johnson Park is underwater! Our neighborhood has some trees down, but nothing major.

I'm so thankful it's all over for most of us, and I'll be glad when it's over completely!

Once again, we moved inland to get killed by weather, while at our place on the barrier islands, things were less severe! :confused: We keep leaving 'cause we think our number is up, but it wasn't this time. Our street in Wildwood, NJ never lost power. Here inland a bit above the tip of the Chesapeake, yeah, we just got power back. Which is good, 'cause let me tell you, a tub full of water doesn't equal as many toilet flushes as you think it will! :tongue_smilie:

My liver may never recover. We made every drink known to man and beast in the last 36 hours. Still would rather die than drink gin. That's not really news, I guess. ;)

My dad is in Green Creek right on 47... he's w/my brother now because he's so prone to flooding. No idea how the house "did" until Monday. Can't get down 47 he heard. Ugh.

All is good here. The worse came through this afternoon if you want to call it that. We got some rain and wind gusts. Nowhere near what they were predicting though.

Prayers to all who have sustained any damage from this.:grouphug:

This is good news :grouphug:

If you pray please do...I live in a town that is at the crossroads of the conneticut and white rivers both are flooding and expected not to peak until tomorrow. Homes, bridges are being washed away and people have been evacuated. The rain appears to be done but the water will keep rising. We are quite high up and are safe but I am worried about a number of friends who are closer to the river on both sides.

If you pray please do...I live in a town that is at the crossroads of the conneticut and white rivers both are flooding and expected not to peak until tomorrow. Homes, bridges are being washed away and people have been evacuated. The rain appears to be done but the water will keep rising. We are quite high up and are safe but I am worried about a number of friends who are closer to the river on both sides.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Praying :grouphug: We just drove through there Friday, sunny and beautiful!

The flooding is catastrophic! Crested at one of the highest ever 29 feet (flood stage was 18). Covered bridge in Quechee gone, Simon Pierce underwater, the main shopping district in west leb was closed yesterday as the water rose don't know how damaged it is. Many many people evacuated to the High School to wait. Thank goodness the rivers crested this am and are going down but the damage is saddening. The hurricane produced no dangerous winds but the rains caused an incredible amount of damage. :(

Scary! Praying. :grouphug:

Hi NoNo, I was hoping you would check in. Same thing happened to us, we went to nephew's house in Egg Harbor Township where he lost power. We stayed there Fri and Sat and came back to O.C. today. Power was not lost here so everything in our fridge and freezer is fine. At nephew's we had ice cream for dinner last night and of course no showers until we got back on our island. No damage to house. This is only the second time we have left the island for a hurricane, the first time was in 1985 during Hurricane Gloria which also we had no damage. Had to take our 8 cats with us, that was an adventure.

Any damage in OC? Is the beach still there? My relatives have a condo not too far from the music pier and haven't been back yet.

My dad is in Green Creek right on 47... he's w/my brother now because he's so prone to flooding. No idea how the house "did" until Monday. Can't get down 47 he heard. Ugh.

Yeah, at this point, we're trying to figure out how/when to return, as Rt. 47's our usual way, and sitting stuck in traffic going home isn't my idea of the way to complete this journey. Lots of flooding inland, but the coast looks great.

Jeannie, I brought our freezer full of meat and we cooked all of it. I think it'll be 2 weeks before I can eat a steak again. On the downside, that was supposed to be our supply through the fall. :001_huh:

Oh, and P.S. school is running Tues - Sat at our house this week. Though I did bring everything with me. Maybe we will do school....

We lose water when the electric goes out; we're on a well. ;)

ah okay, we have city water. SO now I 'm wondering how much water I ever may collect again. WE have lots stored up right now. BLEAH

Sorry you didn't have enough. Do you have rain barrels. I wasn't worried about the stuff I didn't need to drink we had plenty :001_smile:

I am in VT on the border with NH, upper valley area, and it appears a rather unevent...Lots and lots of rain which is causing some localized flooding and supposedly the river that divides the states will start flooding today and into tomorrow but the wind has been pretty nonexistant, and only a comparatively small number of people are out of power here. So overall looks good, although we have a few more hours till it is officially past us. Have read about really bad flooding in other towns though like Brattleboro a town we drive through a whole bunch.

That's where I am too, and it was rather tame for us. We got some rain but not much wind. A couple trees went down in the neighborhood, but my willow did me proud and didn't drop a single big branch. The power flickered a couple times but didn't go out. We did lose our Internet on Sunday and just got it back on this morning. Whew. We were fortunate. Other parts of the state got much more flooding.

The flooding is catastrophic! Crested at one of the highest ever 29 feet (flood stage was 18). Covered bridge in Quechee gone, Simon Pierce underwater, the main shopping district in west leb was closed yesterday as the water rose don't know how damaged it is. Many many people evacuated to the High School to wait. Thank goodness the rivers crested this am and are going down but the damage is saddening. The hurricane produced no dangerous winds but the rains caused an incredible amount of damage. :(

Oh yikes! I have friends in the area--but I've had no phone, Internet or vehicle for the past couple days so I didn't know *any* of this. Maybe I should call the W. Leb library before heading down like I had planned this afternoon...

Oh yikes! I have friends in the area--but I've had no phone, Internet or vehicle for the past couple days so I didn't know *any* of this. Maybe I should call the W. Leb library before heading down like I had planned this afternoon...

It appears that basically everything is open except for JcPenney's (and surrounding stores) that got inundated. Water has gone down thank goodness! Now it is just time to clean up...I really feel for the families that have lost their homes though.

Just coming back online new. We still have no power and likely will not for some time as we have been told that our outage affects on a couple people and we are at the bottom of the waiting list. I am so happy we bought a generator after Isabelle.

Does anyone know what it's like around Roselle NJ? We are supposed to stay with friends there on Sat. night, but they say roads are blocked around them and they were waiting for rivers to crest - I'm trying to decide if we should just bypass NJ (from Lancaster PA) and keep driving north into New England.

Does anyone know what it's like around Roselle NJ? We are supposed to stay with friends there on Sat. night, but they say roads are blocked around them and they were waiting for rivers to crest - I'm trying to decide if we should just bypass NJ (from Lancaster PA) and keep driving north into New England.

Colleen, I don't know the Roselle area, but last Sunday, just as the storm was ending, I found a feature on mapquest that lets you see which roads were flooded. I just checked the map for Roselle and I saw only one spot that looks flooded on the map and that may be nowhere near where you're going. You may want to take a look.