Menu

How to get a toddler to keep a diaper on?

DH put the boys to bed before he left for nerd poker. About 30 minutes ago, Digby started crying. I went up to check on him and he was huddled in the corner of the crib with his diaper off and his clothes on backwards:001_huh: He had peed all over. :banghead: He did it a few days ago too. He also did it a lot back in January. Also in January, he'd take the diaper off while leaving his clothes on (even while wearing a body suit and overalls:001_huh:) and since it all looked normal, I didn't know until a big wet stain started forming.

What do I do? I'm seriously considering duct taping it on. :crying:

Yep, we've used duct tape, too. We only had to use it for a few weeks until she got out of the habit. She still takes off her diaper if she is trying to tell me she wants a bath or if she wants to sit on the toilet. (Not to use the potty, yet. She just likes to drop bits of toilet paper between her legs like she's seen everybody else do. :001_rolleyes:)

But she doesn't take off the diaper just because she can anymore.

What do I do? I'm seriously considering duct taping it on. :crying:

That's what we did!!:tongue_smilie: We started with just duct taping over the fasteners but they (our two sons) could still get them off. So we ended up having to put the duct tape all the way around them. So they had their own little duct tape belts for their diapers.:lol: It was quite cute but, more importantly, it worked.;) It didn't take too long before they forgot about it and we were able to drop the duct tape.

Good luck! :grouphug:

I used to pin the zipper of the footy jammies closed with a diaper pin, right under the chin. Kid couldn't see or manipulate it, so it was very safe. You just pin the zipper to the fabric.

My toddler would wake up early, undress herself, poop without noticing much, and eventually turn around and freak out when she saw it. We would get woken up by her screaming "Messy messy messy!!!" and she would cower in the corner of the crib...:lol:

Duct tape is also good.

Another vote for duct tape! We had a progression of duct tape trials with my twins. When they figured out one we moved on to the next idea.

1. Duct tape over tabs of diaper.

2. Duct tape all the way around diaper.

3. No duct tape on diaper, but duct tape at the top of the zippered footie pj's.

4. #3 with overalls over the top of the pj's and the straps crossed in the back.

Good luck, some kids are just a little more persistent than others :lol:!

Marisa

Snappable diaper cover put over the diaper. They are for cloth diapers, but i don't see why you couldn't use them with a disposable, just to prevent access. Thirsties is the brand i use.

Or Prorap makes one with a toddler proof buckle, but it doesn't look comfy if you have a tummy sleeper.

Cut the feet off a one-piece sleeper and put it on the kid backwards, so he can't unfasten it. I did this when the twins were trying to climb out of the cribs - and had sewn the knees together with a scant inch of leeway so the kids could not left their legs to get out of the crib.

They are cute little rascals - but our brains are still bigger! ;)

That's exactly what we did when ds12 wouldn't leave his on…ran a strip of duct tape (we always had some) right around. Worked wonderfully! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I would think at 12 you would be ready to have him out of diapers.

I am sorry I just had to do it.

:lol::lol::lol:

I was in the same boat as the other twin momma...we did duct tape with the sleepers backwards until they figured out they could unzip each other, then we went to duct tape all the way around. Now we just duct tape the front of the diaper and they are better about leaving them on. Our pediatrician cracked up when he saw their diapers duct taped. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has resorted to using it!

Well, he is my youngest boy, I guess it wouldn't hurt too much if I ruined the boy PJs

A friend of mine had the same problem with her dd. She put her in footies and ran a safety pin through the hole in the zipper pull and pinned it to the neck of the PJs. That worked quite well.