Menu

Life skills: pay phones

Not long ago someone here mentioned teaching a child to use a pay phone as a life skill. Don't bother. They are becoming obsolete.

I needed a pay phone recently and there was none to be found, not outside a shopping center, not outside a fast food restaurant, not even at Wal-Mart! Luckily customer services let me use their phone.

Since then multiple people have told me how rare pay phones are any more.

What's a pay phone? :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile: it's what mommy and daddy had to use when they weren't home and needed to make a call before they had cell phones. Just like mommy and daddy had to actually get up and walk across the room to change the channel or volume. and of course, we couldn't pause TV programs.

the updated version of walking four miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways.

*SNORT*

When we were in Malta Indy saw one of the red British style phone booths and asked why there was a phone in it. When we flew to England last year, he saw more and said "Hey look! It's one of those weird phone in a box things!"

I'd probably just tell him that it was just a red Tardis. :001_smile:

this is why I see cell phones for children as an important safety device. When I decide my dc is old enough to be dropped at an activity or get herself there on her own she needs a cell. I always had change for this reason as a kid.

There are pay phones. They are rare. However, your dc should know how to use and know that dialing 911 is free on a pay phone.

You can still find pay phones at many gas stations, and rest stops on highways - even though they're slowly disappearing, I think it's a good skill to teach how to use one, just in case!

Then again, I live in an area where I'll sometimes stop for gas at stations with old-fashioned pumps (without any overhead cover either) - you take the nozzle out, put it in your car, lift the handle and pump - holding the pump!.....the numbers SPIN telling you how much you've put in and then you go inside to pay!

You may even need cash in some of those areas as I have even recently (Saturday) encountered gas pumps with no debit/credit card slot.
Around here those are called Arco. They take cash only to keep the gas cheaper. Some take credit for fill ups with an additional fee. Edited by twoxcell

As a former employee of BellSouth, I have watched with great interest the disappearance of payphones. Same for the soon-to-be-extinct printed telephone directory.

I'm so old that I remember when a restaurant would advertise with a sign in the window that the establishment had air conditioning. This in the South, where AC now is regarded as essential.

I taught myself to type, at age eight, on a Royal typewriter, the keys of which were separate elements (non-touching) on raised metal stems.

In the eighth grade, we were taught computer programming with punch cards.

History-in-the-making . . .

Edited by Orthodox6

Regarding cleanliness, I would rather use a pay phone than a public water fountain. :)

Probably true, and park restrooms.:ack2: Unfortunately those two things are much more of a necessity for us. My kids will always try to pick up the payphones and stick them to their faces. Yuck!

Around here those are called Arco. They take cash only to keep the gas cheaper. Some take credit for fill ups with an additional fee.

It was a really really really old gas pump and store. They had one pump. There was not even a window looking out toward it.

The girl seemed surprised I had pumped gas ($57!!) and took my word for it on the amount.

I finally got a cell phone when I was out by myself and it took me over 20 minutes to find a pay phone and then cost me $17 for a one-minute collect phone call.

And, how hard is it to figure out how to use a pay phone, exactly, should one ever encounter one to use? :tongue_smilie:

Guest submarines
They still exist in very rural areas.

You may even need cash in some of those areas as I have even recently (Saturday) encountered gas pumps with no debit/credit card slot.

And in large metropolitan centers, at least in Canada. Downtown Toronto and Ottawa, for example, have plenty of payphones. Every subway station has payphones.

Two weeks ago I taught my daughter how to make a collect call.

Payphones might me obsolete in many areas, but it is not like teaching to use a payphone requires a unit study and daily lessons, if done when a child is ready. :tongue_smilie:When DD was 6, she would have been overwhelmed, as she is not into technology, and there was no need either--she was never alone. At 9.5, all it took was 5 minutes.

I received my first collect call from her this morning! :lol: (She was just around the corner, buying organic cookies for us).

And in large metropolitan centers, at least in Canada. Downtown Toronto and Ottawa, for example, have plenty of payphones. Every subway station has payphones.

Two weeks ago I taught my daughter how to make a collect call.

Payphones might me obsolete in many areas, but it is not like teaching to use a payphone requires a unit study and daily lessons, if done when a child is ready. :tongue_smilie:When DD was 6, she would have been overwhelmed, as she is not into technology, and there was no need either--she was never alone. At 9.5, all it took was 5 minutes.

I received my first collect call from her this morning! :lol: (She was just around the corner, buying organic cookies for us).

:iagree: They are here in Alberta too. I find pay phones more frequently than I can find air hoses to reinflate my tires. Those are being ripped out of service stations faster than the pay phones and the ones that are still there cost $1 to use.

Interesting payphone story: I know someone whose cousin was Deaf. When growing up, she said that if the phone rang and they picked up but no one was on the other end, they knew the cousin was coming to visit. The cousin would call from a pay phone, put the coin in, dial the number then wait a bit and hang up. If the coin came back that meant no one answered so she would try later. If the coin didn't come back, she knew they had answered and were home so she would go for a visit.

Now with texting, video relay and other technology, Deaf would not need that trick any more either.