Menu

Relative concerned about "standards"- elem.

daysaregifts

The curriculum we use has a different science and history sequence than the local public school. This relative is wanting to know if we could also "cover" the same topics that are covered in the public school, though we have freedom in our state to pursue our course of studies with more freedom. I am not planning to alter our main course of study, but was wondering:

Any websites or online programs that would help my kids to at least read up on those concepts that the local public school is "covering" and "testing"? In case we entered public school at some point?

Thanks!

Just go to your state department of education page.

All the standards and core curriculum points are there.

Well, then there are the national standards.

Then there are the new & improved stem standards.

And then there are the "new" core standards.

And then there is the NCLB testing range standards.

ugh..believe me, it's tough...

Do you know which arena / level of standards or curriculum this was in reference to?

A few thoughts:

1. If your kiddos are really young, I wouldn't worry about state standards. If you'll notice, they are generally the same things from one year to the next (in sci and social studies of young people).

2. People (the person) who asked that question know little about home schooling. If you wanted state standards, you'd use the state's school.

3. To answer your questions, yup, your state website will give you those standards. You'd be surprised at how much you can get through (and forget b/c it lacks depth) when you find what you need on the subject matter.

Don't let someone make you doubt this decision. The school's way is not the only way and certainly not a superior method.

I wouldn't worry for a nanosecond about history and science standards. The only things that will affect a child's ability to do well academically are English and math skills.

I would also absolutely NOT make it a practice to change what I was doing based on the natterings of someone else.

This is a helpful yet scary tool.

http://www.greatschools.org/

If you are wanting very very localized information, go there, type in your zip code. Find the school in which your child would be "district assigned".

Open.

Print.

And try not to have a heart attack when you see the percentage of children meeting these "standards."

In the district which we would be assigned, less than 16 percent are at science fluency level.

Only 45% are at standard reading level.

26% meeting standards in math.

s.c.a.r.y.

I think all home school parents should tote around a printed copy for those times when someone gets all uppity about why you home school.

And if you really want a shocker, a big one...go order a copy of the state standards testing booklets and what's in there. It will make your eyes water and your heart just sink.

Seriously.

It is frightening they are bombing out on these tests.

Having just left ps after 11 years, I will say this: If you have a history and science curriculum that you follow, you will be fine. The standards are just that, BASIC standards that any child should be able to meet. I have never met a hs that had a curriculum that was "behind" going back to ps (unless they were unschooled--not saying anything bad, but with the lack of curriculum, they are often not on grade level with all subject areas). In fact, I opened a new school and that always brings out the hs wanting to come back to ps to try again...all of them qualified for the gifted and talented program. :)

But as the pp mentioned, you can look on your state education site and find the standards for each subject/grade level. You can probably find the older state tests as well so you can see how they would fair if forced to take them.

I wouldn't worry for a nanosecond about history and science standards. The only things that will affect a child's ability to do well academically are English and math skills.

I would also absolutely NOT make it a practice to change what I was doing based on the natterings of someone else.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

FWIW, many schools in my area have eliminated science & social studies altogether in the primary grades in order to devote more time to teaching reading & math. Those are the only subjects tested until 5th grade, so many schools have decided to dispense with science & SS until then.

I personally follow the TWTM 4-year cycle and don't give the state standards a 2nd thought. My kids do get a bit of incidental exposure through games like Trivial Pursuit Jr. and Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? and those Brain Quest cards.

great schools site also has a directory of standards which is a nice shortcut

I'm in WA state, so this is the page for that...

http://www.greatschools.org/content/stateStandards.page?state=WA

If you click on that, just toggle the state drop down tab to your particular state.

You should see some information for state level and national levels along with subjects and then the ability to drill down for grade level.

A few thoughts:

1. If your kiddos are really young, I wouldn't worry about state standards. If you'll notice, they are generally the same things from one year to the next (in sci and social studies of young people).

2. People (the person) who asked that question know little about home schooling. If you wanted state standards, you'd use the state's school.

3. To answer your questions, yup, your state website will give you those standards. You'd be surprised at how much you can get through (and forget b/c it lacks depth) when you find what you need on the subject matter.

Don't let someone make you doubt this decision. The school's way is not the only way and certainly not a superior method.

:iagree:

Focus on reading, writing and math. Enjoy history and science.

If you are wanting very very localized information, go there, type in your zip code. Find the school in which your child would be "district assigned".

Open.

Print.

And try not to have a heart attack when you see the percentage of children meeting these "standards."

In the district which we would be assigned, less than 16 percent are at science fluency level.

s.c.a.r.y.

I think all home school parents should tote around a printed copy for those times when someone gets all uppity about why you home school.

And if you really want a shocker, a big one...go order a copy of the state standards testing booklets and what's in there. It will make your eyes water and your heart just sink.

Seriously.

I just looked up our best schools and was HORRIFIED. DH isn't sold on HSing throughout so maybe he should check out these numbers. I find it problematic to rely on test results since I think testing can be so ridiculous, but the numbers were so low that I am truly disturbed!

I checked our local scores a couple of weeks ago and was horrified. Our local school is supposed to be a "flagship" school for our district, and our district fields over 17,000 students, the largest in our very small state.

The kids score okay in the third grade or so. But by 5th grade, they are failing horribly, and by high school, only 20% are meeting the state science standards, 50% reading, and math. The high point is social studies (not history) at about 65%. Wheeeeeee.

I think we'll just do our own thing and not worry about what the kids in the public schools are doing, and I think we'll be just fine.

Not everyone's local districts are failing these tests. 3rd grade here was 87% for reading and 97% for math. Whipping those results out isn't going to be a very effective argument here.

I felt the same way when I first looked and saw my local school district's test scores for Elementary 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.

In 3rd grade the scores were in the mid 80's and 90's for both math and reading and again just a little less in 4th grade.

By 5th grade the scores fell drastically to just the mid 60's range and continued to spiral downwards when I checked the junior high level.

I then looked at our local high school scores and they were awful !

11th grade Math was 54% down from 64% last year.

11th grade English was 66 % down from 70 % last year.

Science was 40 % down from 50 % last year.

You might want to re-check your local school for the higher grade levels to see if they students still did well on their standardized testing, I found in our school district that you could see the scores really dropped off after 4th grade.

I printed them out to show my mother, she is always harping on me that she feels the kids should "go back to public school for high school so they can have prom and " a real graduation ceremony".

It's okay to be skeptical about the testing results. I was as well.

Then I went and fetched a copy of what the tests consisted of...the actual tests.

I don't have any words for it. I really don't.

You should be able to view example test questions on the net as well if you are inclined to go that deep.

What (if you care to share) were the percentages of fluency or meeting of standards where you are?

Now do you get what I mean by carrying around those sheets as an answer to skeptics of homeschooling?

I don't care about the standards, but I'll answer one of the original questions. If you have a LeapPad, there are guides for X grade & things for science/social studies for X grade books. (We have the Quantum Pad.) I got a few so the kids had exposure to some different topics before we covered them & would already know a few facts. Mine particularly like some of the animal & science ones. The geography one hasn't made it out too often.

& for the record, our "great" local school shows results of no lower than 87% in all areas (with increasing scores each year) through high school because the state testing they do is inherently geared toward getting perfect results. For example, the state average for Math in 11th grade in 2009 was 90%. The state is in the process of changing this, so there are no new results yet.

Edited by RootAnn
added something on 'standards testing'

I keep a copy of our state standards on hand. I don't live and die by them, but I do check them at the beginning and end of each year to see if there is anything I want to teach for the coming year. A lot of what is listed isn't fact- specific, but skill-specific. If someone asks me if I have seen them, I honestly have and I can discuss them intelligently, which sometimes is more than the questioner can do. There is no need to dramatically whip out test scores.

What (if you care to share) were the percentages of fluency or meeting of standards where you are?

Now do you get what I mean by carrying around those sheets as an answer to skeptics of homeschooling?

For my local district the scores for 11th grade PSSA testing were:

*Reading 66 %

State Average or Reading 67 %

*Science 40 %

State Average for Science 40 %

*Math 54 %

State Average for Math 60 %

So our local district was below level or on level in accordance with our state average on all the testing, but our state average seems so very low, so I don't think that is a great encouragement either.

Very unimpressive, for both the school and the state.

TCAP Results

Scale: % at or above proficient

Grade 3

Reading/Language Arts

apipixorange.gif 38% (2010)

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 42% in 2010.

Social Studies

apipixorange.gif 88% (2010)

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2010.

Science

apipixorange.gif 58% (2010)

The state average for Science was 61% in 2010.

Math

apipixorange.gif 57% (2010)

The state average for Math was 48% in 2010.

Not everyone's local districts are failing these tests. 3rd grade here was 87% for reading and 97% for math. Whipping those results out isn't going to be a very effective argument here.

Ours are 97% in math and over 90% in English. Not all schools are failing.

Bill

Just a random tidbit I picked up a few weeks ago.

The state that causes a lot of controversy & comparison is Massachusetts. They are the top scoring state in standardized testing.

They were also one of the first states to adopt the use of Singapore math and experienced a dramatic acceleration of placement rankings.

Love, love, love the discussion! LOTS to chew on and mull over. I do not intend to change our main course of study because of "said" relative, but I did hope to find out some sources to check out for extra reading, etc. I wonder if this is a spot where I could pull some videos from Netflix or Discovery Streaming...Thanks for Leap Pad information.

Regarding testing, the reason the relative was concerned because in the local district this particular grade didn't fair well in science. Just as you are all discussing...

I don't know if this would work for you but Harcourt Brace (publishers) have on the net here and there charts of how their books are sequenced to meet core curriculum standards for our state. (WA)

If you are concerned about science in particular and standards, there are new standards which are issued out this year.

The science curriculum adjustment paper for STEM and such was just published a month or so ago. The science proficiency targets are discussed within this site: http://www.nsta.org/

The framework document is available for download now, and it is quite large...but only a specific portion of it may apply for you as far as grade level or ability.

You can find it here:

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13165

Reading the portion which are in your realm might be helpful as a guide, it breaks the areas of study down quite nicely but is very detailed.

This is a pretty academic site. Grab a cup of tea and the printer paper.

There is a related recent forum discussion on the release of the standards here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293623&highlight=new+science+standards

Edited by one*mom

Regarding testing, the reason the relative was concerned because in the local district this particular grade didn't fair well in science. Just as you are all discussing...

You say to the relative, "Thanks for the concern, but we're doing fine. How about some bean dip?"

Really. Don't even let that little conversation start in your head where you feel the least bit curious to go compare what you're doing based on any relative's comments.

Yes but there have been many cheating scandals in the schools including PA:( I suspect there is a lot more of this due to the pressure to meet AYP. Also, the benchmark for passing is often set pretty low so that really is not an achievement:(

Edited by priscilla

I just looked up our best schools and was HORRIFIED. DH isn't sold on HSing throughout so maybe he should check out these numbers. I find it problematic to rely on test results since I think testing can be so ridiculous, but the numbers were so low that I am truly disturbed!

For more interesting numbers at the high school level request a copy of the school's annual "College Board Summary Report." This report lists how the students actually performed on the AP exams.

I live in an "excellent rated, blue ribbon, yada yada, school system. Our high school is listed in Newsweek's expanded list of top public high schools. However, what the magazine's rankings do not take into account are the actual AP scores. The year I requested the report, only 18 students in the entire school (about 250 per graduating class) took AP Calc - 16 students received a "1", one student received a "2", and one student a "3." This year the school is not even offering AP Chemistry.:huh:

And many neighbors think I am crazy for not using our great school system.:confused:

Open.

Print.

OK, now I am worrying. The school my kids would be attending has 94 & 90% pass rates for english & math. Soc studies 89 and science 78. My thought all along is "it shouldn't be THAT hard to give them a better education than they would get in public"...

The district my oldest daughter came from was impressive as heck. She spent several years in charter. It was a gt charter, just so cutting edge I can't explain. Phenomenal program.

The school twenty miles away has a 28% graduation rate tracking kids that start as freshman and graduate in the senior year. It's a drop out factory as well as gang-infested. I seriously doubt there is a single AP word uttered in the joint.

Getting out alive is all that counts.

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/interactives/wdc/dropout/index.html

This is very eye opening. Thanks for posting it:001_smile:

Lisa

Open.

Print.

s.c.a.r.y.

Seriously.

Yes but there have been many cheating scandals in the schools including PA:( I suspect there is a lot more of this due to the pressure to meet AYP. Also, the benchmark for passing is often set pretty low so that really is not an achievement:(

Hey Priscilla, thanks for bringing this up. I was thinking the same thing since I was listening to NPR on that very topic today.

There is an alternate argument out there floating around; it borders on conspiracy theory sometimes.

The theory goes like this:

NCLB has set the pace of educational reform *so* high (including testing levels) that it forces the government to step in and "take over" failing schools in the form of charters and/or other alternatives. Never mind what they've done to the teaching profession as a whole...

The charters are funded by gazillionaries such as Bill Gates and other major private funding players.

The question underneath it all is why would privatization of public schools funded by mega corps be a good idea anyway?

Answer: Money

Standards are for the teachers, not for the students. Students are moved ahead every year, regardless of test scores. The only area that I would be at all concerned about is math. But most math curricula have approximately the same scope and sequence (though there are exceptions). And if you are homeschooling, chances are your children will be ahead of their public school peers anyway.

You say to the relative, "Thanks for the concern, but we're doing fine. How about some bean dip?"

Really. Don't even let that little conversation start in your head where you feel the least bit curious to go compare what you're doing based on any relative's comments.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

There is an alternate argument out there floating around; it borders on conspiracy theory sometimes.

The theory goes like this:

NCLB has set the pace of educational reform *so* high (including testing levels) that it forces the government to step in and "take over" failing schools in the form of charters and/or other alternatives. Never mind what they've done to the teaching profession as a whole...

The charters are funded by gazillionaries such as Bill Gates and other major private funding players.

The question underneath it all is why would privatization of public schools funded by mega corps be a good idea anyway?

Answer: Money

And my response would be something like...while there are some passing schools, the national standings are quite low - Too low - and as such are unacceptable. We are no longer in a society where we can compare American schools soley to themselves, but must turn globally to properly asses the prosperity of our schools.

If private individuals care enough about the educational standing of our nation and the future of their working force, let them put their money where their mouth is. The US Government certainly does not have the funds to revamp a broken, and in my honest opinion, unrepairable, system of public education. These privately funded charters are working and tax payers are saving money as a result.

Parents Want to send their children to charters because they see the inherent value. Minorities are finding greater success in charter schools. Excellent teachers are finding professional fulfillment in them.

That is all. Off the box now :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

And my response would be something like...while there are some passing schools, the national standings are quite low - Too low - and as such are unacceptable. We are no longer in a society where we can compare American schools soley to themselves, but must turn globally to properly asses the prosperity of our schools.

If private individuals care enough about the educational standing of our nation and the future of their working force, let them put their money where their mouth is. The US Government certainly does not have the funds to revamp a broken, and in my honest opinion, unrepairable, system of public education. These privately funded charters are working and tax payers are saving money as a result.

Parents Want to send their children to charters because they see the inherent value. Minorities are finding greater success in charter schools. Excellent teachers are finding professional fulfillment in them.

That is all. Off the box now :)

Yep, I'm with you. I follow various schools of thought on educational theories.

I do see honest back-door prying in the above situation, and it is what it is. Can't complain if you don't put in time to change it. I find it quite comical to watch the factions sweat it out. Factions being the NEA and other like minds.

I think back to when I was a kid living in a one company town, and the influence that corporation had on the educational topics in our schools. It was very heavy in chemistry and science; and it was good for us. Yes, we were molded from a very early age and did not know any better, but it worked out well.

Having come out of a wonderful ps system, excellent charter exposure, a few years of homeschooling- there sure is a lot out there to customize a child's education if one wants or needs to.

It was during my years at the charter that I learned (it was actually required of parents to do this) the testing landscape in education. Different forms of testing, what they tested, why they tested and the attached pathways of funding that went along with the results.

That charter used that system to gain more funding and it was really amazing to watch.

After some time of seeing the systems of standardized tests in different arenas, and really understanding what national and state mandatory testing were about, my views today of the percentage results mean a lot more than if I were to knock on my neighbors door and say, "Well, what do you think this means for your kids?"

That testing achievement barrier is very low.

You could launch off into the whole "teach to the test" argument; which has valid points and some propaganda involved that's a difficult arena to sort out; but there is something there to consider all the same.

I read quite often that other countries laugh at the US testing system (because we score so low globally) and we as a country spend a lot of time in worry about catching "up" to others such as China.

China is worried that all they know how to do is score high, but have no creative abilities in the final product (students). China and others are studying the US system to try to locate and adapt education to turn out students that can think independently and with a creative spirit.

Yesterday, I was watching a speaker I like very much, Yong Zhao talk about this very concept.

He stated something to the effect that if he ran the Dept. of Ed., he'd throw out testing standards completely.

Just a random tidbit I picked up a few weeks ago.

The state that causes a lot of controversy & comparison is Massachusetts. They are the top scoring state in standardized testing.

They were also one of the first states to adopt the use of Singapore math and experienced a dramatic acceleration of placement rankings.

Interesting. We just moved from MA to NH this summer. The scores for our local high school are depressing. But what really gets me is this:

The state average for Math was 36% in 2011.

OK, now I am worrying. The school my kids would be attending has 94 & 90% pass rates for english & math. Soc studies 89 and science 78. My thought all along is "it shouldn't be THAT hard to give them a better education than they would get in public"...

Don't just look at test scores - look at what the grade level expectations are for each year that is being tested.

I'm not impressed with my district's "social studies" - here is just K-2:

Social Studies Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Kindergarten

Identify maps and globes as tools.

Identify how the flag and Pledge of Allegiance represent the United States.

Explain the purpose for rules in a family and classroom.

Recognize similarities and respect differences in the classroom.

Use a democratic decision-making process in the classroom to make class decisions and resolve onflicts.

Identify basic necessities for survival. (Food, water, shelter).

Social Studies - First Grade

Discuss the purpose for rules and how they are enforced or carried out in a family, classroom, and school for the common good.

Identify their rights and responsibilities in a family and classroom.

Identify how symbols such as the Statue of Liberty and monuments in Washington D.C. represent the United States.

Recognize similarities and respect differences in the classroom and school.

Describe the contributions of American Presidents (George Washington and Abe Lincoln), and the role of president.

Identify the difference between goods and services.

Able to read and make simple maps (including a title, legend/key, and direction arrow/compass rose).

Social Studies - Second Grade

Demonstrate democratic decision making and conflict resolution skills in the classroom and school.

Explain how and why decisions are made in schools.

Able to interpret a simple time line.

Construct and read maps with a title, legend/key, and direction arrow/compass rose.

Describe and illustrate physical features (land forms, water bodies).

Identify consumers and producers.

Here's our district's K-2 Science:

Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Kindergarten

Describe characteristics and properties of balls and their motion.

Describe the relationship between the physical properties of balls and their motion.

Conduct a simple investigation (fair test) to answer a question.

Communicate observations using words, pictures, and numbers.

Name and describe the characteristics of the four seasons.

Describe how seasons affect plants, animals, and humans.

Make qualitative observations using the five senses.

Sort objects based on observable physical properties (e.g., size, material, color, and shape).

Observe using simple tools and equipment (e.g., magnifiers, hand lenses, magnets, equal arm balances,

thermometers).

Compare different sounds (loudness, pitch, rhythm).

Observe and describe that the Sun, moon, and stars are in the sky.

Describe the Sun as being seen in the daytime sky and stars are seen in the nighttime sky.

Science - First Grade

Use a balance to order and weigh objects.

Order a set of objects from lightest to heaviest.

Make qualitative observations using the five senses.

Observe using simple tools and equipment (e.g., magnifiers, hand lenses, magnets, equal arm balances,

thermometers).

Compare amounts/measurements.

Identify the stem, leaf, root, flower, and seed on a plant.

Identify the basic needs of animals as air, water, food, and space/shelter.

Observe and describe characteristics and behaviors of two different animals and plants over a period of time.

Communicate observations using words, pictures, and numbers.

Observe and describe differences in the appearance of clouds.

Chart and summarize weather changes from day to day and week to week.

Science - Second Grade

Classify substances as solids, liquids, or gases by their properties.

thermometers).

Use observations to describe relationships and make predictions to be tested.

Observe and record the phases in the life cycle of different organisms.

Identify and relate the similarities and differences between animal parents and their offspring.

Diagram the transfer of energy from sun to producer to consumer in a food chain.

Describe how physical features (bird beaks, thorns, camouflage, eyes) and behaviors (hibernation) help

animals and plants survive.

Identify the components of soil (e.g. plant roots, fungi, bacteria) and its properties.

Describe uses of soils in our daily lives.

I'm also not impressed with the scores that continue to decline year-over-year as kids age up into the middle and high schools around here - while they start out great (seeming) in 3rd with 80%+ reading at grade or above and 80%+ doing math at grade or above ---- by 10th grade those numbers are dismal - 18% at grade or advanced in math, 32% reading at grade level or above!

Plus our state ranks 39th in the nation - which sucks!

Interesting. We just moved from MA to NH this summer. The scores for our local high school are depressing. But what really gets me is this:

The state average for Math was 36% in 2011.

The 36% would be that particular school?

Here's a fairly recent article with some of the common broo-haha-ness (my word, I own it) about Mass. & standardized testing results.

http://iowaeducation.iowa.gov/2011/07/28/where-top-performing-massachusetts-is-headed/

The 36% would be that particular school?

Here's a fairly recent article with some of the common broo-haha-ness (my word, I own it) about Mass. & standardized testing results.

http://iowaeducation.iowa.gov/2011/07/28/where-top-performing-massachusetts-is-headed/

The 36% is for the 11th grade in the state of NH, according to the site. Our local high school came in at 20%.

I looked up the city in MA that we moved from. While the greatschools website ranked the high school a 1, the math proficiency scores are at 41% and "The state average for Math was 75% in 2010."

That is however comparing the MCAS results in MA to the NECAP in NH. It would be interesting to compare the tests side by side.

:auto:Off to read the article you linked.

We are also in a very high scoring, top ranked district. My son scored 100% in 4 of the 6 math sections in 4th grade this year, and 94% and 92% in the other two sections. This was during his one and only year in public school.

However, I agree with the pp who said to ignore test scores. High test scores does not equal better education. Sure, my son scored 100% on his math. But he learned to hate math that year. It was all drill and kill. Timed tests every day leading up to the test. He was feeling incredibly stressed and depressed about his failure to "pass" the 1 minute, 3 minute, and 5 minute tests they did in class. He had to do worksheet after worksheet on things he already knew. He started complaining about how boring math was, whereas previous to entering school he would tell anyone who would listen how much he loves math. He used to make up math games, ask me questions constantly in the car about advanced math concepts that he was "just thinking about." After a year in school, he didn't want anything to do with math.

I would much prefer a child who loved math and scored "passing" on a standardized test than a child who has been completely turned off to math but has been whipped into shape with daily drills to score 100% on a test.

Our local school is over 90% for everything. People look at me like I have 3 heads when I say we homeschool.

:iagree::iagree:

It sets a really bad precedent when you allow people to have that kind of input into your homeschool. It's none of their business.

I giggled :)

Then I read the whole article. PS is such BS. (sorry for the language my friends, it's just so suitable).

"We have learned after nearly 20 years of education reform and success that on average, the intervention of schooling by itself is too weak to overcome the effects of poverty. We have put our system on steroids in terms of setting high standards, but the gaps are still wide and we need to do more to address the non-academic needs of students if we are to finally meet success for all students."

So, I'll just say it...DUH. ALL things start in the home...or don't start there and a Ker is behind before (s)he starts.

READ to your kids daily...read, read, read. Play games to introduce math concepts. Don't let it take 20 years before you or a state school figures it out. The responsibility for *Every.Child's.Education* STARTS AND FINISHES at HOME.

My home schooling friends, you'd be sick to see the lack of foundation impoverished kids get. Sick.to.your.stomach.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert