Menu

Food Police

Would this annoy you?  

1. 1. Would this annoy you?

• yes
    • no

Then you find a program better suited to your needs. I don't see the tide turning heavily towards bread and pretzle only camps.

It sounds like you're worried Lenin is coming because this short- term private camp program has asked children not to bring soda for lunch.

What you wrote is an amazing leap out of logic and also smacks a bit of paranoia.

Trust me, The Coca Cola company will lobby hard for our right to soda. :) Truly. That mega billion dollar corp is not going anywhere.

but that's just the point. If the "no soda" rule is there only because of someone's personal preference, then where does it stop? at what? will sports drinks be banned next because they are too high in sugar? Only water allowed? What if I want to send milk in a thermos for a child who needs plenty of fats in his diet, but they decide "only water" next year?

What if next year the person in charge says "no foods with HFCS"??

What if next year they decide pretzels only, no potato chips? Or plain chips, no flavored ones?

I realize we can, as parents, choose to take the rules with the activity but I automatically bristle -- big time -- at someone telling me what to do IF they do not have (or choose to share) their very valid reason for doing so.

Give me the reason, or the goal, and let me make my choices within that guideline. Tell me "we need our campers to stay well hydrated, so try to choose drinks that aid towards that" -- then I will choose water or fresh juice.

Tell me "we've had a large problem with crumbs and sticky drips attracting ants this year, so please keep that in mind when sending snacks for your child" and I will send fruit or veggie sticks instead of cookies or chips, I will send water or juice in a thermos/sports bottle that is unlikely to drip.

Give me the guidelines and the point of the rules, and trust me to choose well for my child. Don't tell me "do not bring a, b, c, d, ...., x, y, z" except for those life-threatening allergy items, or I will be tempted to give my child those forbidden foods at home before taking him to the event, carry my own in when I drop him off/pick him up, and otherwise be obnoxious about it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha!

I would irritate the crud outta me. See the thread about how much PS supplies cost to see what I mean about me.

I would sent whatever I wanted to send (aside from the allergy items). If I want to send a soda, I will send a soda. If I want to send a twinkie I will send a twinkie.

Until someone starts paying for the things they require me to bring I will purchase what I like when I like. (again not at the expense of the allergy items, I would respect that, it is dangerous. Anything above and beyond is ridiculous.)

I would much rather have these restrictions than think about what they would give the kids otherwise!

Yes, but THEY are not giving the children food. THEY are asking the parents to do so, and then THEY are imposing rather ridiculous and overly stringent rules on said parents who are sending food so that THEY don't have to.

Honestly, if THEY want this strict of a guideline, then THEY should provide the food, charge me a fee to cover the cost of doing so, and leave it at that.

If I want to feed MY child soda and twinkies, a program is not going to tell me I'm not allowed to do so. (and unlike the OP, I would probably choose a different program to participate in, or at the very least, make my opinion known to the powers that be in hopes of changing things).

But that's why you homeschool and would not send your child to a camp with rules that don't work for you (no soda) or has a philosophy with which you disagree. It's like agnostic me sending my kid to bible camp. I wouldn't do it. :)

Camp isn't mandatory. This one isn't even funded with tax dollars. They can have whatever guidelines they wish, and you can choose not to participate.

Ha!

I would irritate the crud outta me. See the thread about how much PS supplies cost to see what I mean about me.

I would sent whatever I wanted to send (aside from the allergy items). If I want to send a soda, I will send a soda. If I want to send a twinkie I will send a twinkie.

Until someone starts paying for the things they require me to bring I will purchase what I like when I like. (again not at the expense of the allergy items, I would respect that, it is dangerous. Anything above and beyond is ridiculous.)

Edited by LibraryLover

Then you find a program better suited to your needs. I don't see the tide turning heavily towards bread and pretzle only camps.

It sounds like you're worried Lenin is coming because this short- term private camp program has asked children not to bring soda for lunch.

What you wrote is an amazing leap out of logic and also smacks a bit of paranoia.

Trust me, The Coca Cola company will lobby hard for our right to soda. :) Truly. That mega billion dollar corp is not going anywhere.

Wow.....leap of logic and paranoia? Really, you are calling me paranoid?

First - the OP stated that each year the forbidden list has grown, and grown, and grown. From including items that specifically trigger life threatening allergies to now including items that appear to be only there due to personal preference, including (but I'm filling in "not limited to" since she said including in the first place) No Soda.

Second - you contrasted it to a No Baby Carrots rule/camp, which is quite a hyperbole/leap as well -- you jumped to the opposite extreme and I was trying to show a natural progression by which it might gradually become more and more restrictive. That's hardly a leap of logic.

I'm not suggesting that next year, in one year's time, the camp might insist on bread & water only; only suggesting that if this year there is suddenly the inclusion on the list of things that don't fit with Leader Jane's personal preferences, and no one stands up against that, then next year Leader Jane might have read more on the evils of HFCS and decide to ban all products which contain this offensive ingredient.

And so forth and so on, until the rules are *really* ridiculous. I used hyperbole in my example, sure. Just as you did. Does that mean my leap out of logic is done in good company?

I also was pointing out that a parent is perfectly capable of choosing appropriate food for his/her own child when given legitimate, broad guidelines. Rather than a list of every single food the camp would prefer I not send, list those allergy-triggering foods and then give me the guidelines and let me choose for my child.

I leave with this quote which helps sum up what I was thinking, though much more succinctly and thus not subject to accusatory statements about leaps of logic and paranoia. :glare:

:iagree: Yep, they are heating up the water under the frog and no one is noticing. Soon, they will be no freedom left.

I'm sorry if my train of thought doesn't work for you, but I don't appreciate the paranoia attack either.

No soda at a week-long private camp is 'ridiculously stringent'?

Really. Oy.

I need a job. I really need a job. My post count just gets higher and higher. :tongue_smilie:

Overly stringent, not ridiculously so. Please, quote me accurately at least.

Overly stringent, not ridiculously so. Please, quote me accurately at least.

Overly Stringent. I'll fix that. I did not call you paranoid. I said your posts smacks of paranoia. There is a difference. :)

I suppose I find the worry of whether a private camp has a right to take away the right of a child to have soda for lunch for a week rather ridiculous. So I got confused. ;) Not that anyone is ridiculous, only that I think it's ridiculous to think a private camp can't have certain guidelines/philosophies about...well, anything legal. If this were a public school, I'd be arguing the other side. In fact, I have.

Is Glenn Beck behind this movement to strip private camps of their right to strip the rights of parents who are not forced to send their children to no soda programs? :tongue_smilie::D Next thing you know is not that there will be whole wheat bread & water only camps, but worse, apple slices and "No French Fries for You! only camps.

But then! The other side could rise and have French Fries and Soda Camps! ;) Then everyone would be happy.

Except vegans and people who don't eat wheat.

Edited by LibraryLover

I voted, no, it wouldn't bother me.

Plenty of children react badly to things like soda. Not all parents are discerning. If I'm volunteering to be a counselor at a day camp, I might not want a bunch of hyped up kids to wrangle. Therefore, I can see asking that parents not send soda. I don't think that's really a matter of "personal preference," more like lots of personal experience managing other people's kids.

Have you ever been a summer camp counselor? Volunteer or otherwise?

The fact that a growing list of life-threatening allergens is even mentioned seems to indicate that that's part of the annoyance. Personally, I think it's more important to safeguard another child's life than my child have some specific treat.

It's not a requirement to send your kids to camp. It's only part of the day. Nobody is telling you that you can't feed your kid soda and twinkies the other 18 or 20 hours in the day if you so choose.

This is a private group and they can institute whatever rules they please on their turf. It in NO WAY affects anyone's rights as an American and to insinuate that it does is the very definition of hyperbole.

Overly Stringent. I'll fix that.

I suppose I find the worry of whether a private camp has a right to take away the right of a child to have soda for lunch for a week rather ridiculous. So I got confused. ;) Not that anyone is ridiculous, only that I think it's ridiculous to think a private camp can't have certain guidelines/philosophies about...well, anything legal. If this were a public school, I'd be arguing the other side. In fact, I have.

Is Glenn Beck behind this movement to strip private camps of their right to strip the rights of parents who are not forced to send their children to no soda programs? :tongue_smilie::D Next thing you know is not that there will only be whole wheat bread & water only camps, but worse, apple slices and "No French Fries for You! only camps.

But then! The other side could rise and have French Fries and Soda Camps! ;) then everyone would be happy. Except vegans and people who don't eat wheat.

Thanks for fixing the misquote. ;)

I do understand what you're saying, and I thank you for a somewhat nicer tone in this post than the last one, but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not to up on Glenn Beck, so can't speak to whether or not he's behind all of this. :D (kidding -- I realize you are poking fun/making a joke)

Would that a french fry and soda camp would open, I'd be all over it! LOL!! ;)

Sorry if I kind of went off the deep end -- I've been steeped in Ron Paul videos today and writing an article about personal freedom, and I guess the fact some camp, somewhere is daring to strip me of same by disallowing my child's soda!!! ;) just got to me a bit, given my current frame of mind/frame of reference.

I stand by my position that I'd rather them say "hey, limit the sugars and crumbs please!" vs. "No sodas for you!!" but you've made your point, and I concede it's valid.

No hard feelings? (says the new girl, shyly....)

If restricting soda is overly stringent, then I am a true totalitarian. That's a once every many months treat for my kids and I would prefer not to enroll them in a camp that would show it in any other light. They know, however, not to ask for unhealthy foods just because another child may not have hit his own parent's threshold for treats in a given period.

Yes those things make me mad. However, with soda there are 2 issues.

1st is dehydration. They dehydrate rather than hydrate, and at day camps this is a safety issue.

2nd is that the sugar attracts bees, which some kids may be allergic to. Our cub day camp always asked that parents not send soda or sugary fruit drinks for this reason.

Sorry if I kind of went off the deep end -- I've been steeped in Ron Paul videos today and writing an article about personal freedom, and I guess the fact some camp, somewhere is daring to strip me of same by disallowing my child's soda!!! ;) just got to me a bit, given my current frame of mind/frame of reference.

Except, it is *impossible* for a private day camp that you *choose to attend* to strip you of personal freedoms. That is not possible and it's very silly to imply that it is.

I do find "nazis," "police," and "evil" to be a bit silly in regard to a can of soda.

Just avoid the Great Lord Sauron and his Evil Overlords of Hydration and stay home. Sheesh.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Yes those things make me mad. However, with soda there are 2 issues.

1st is dehydration. They dehydrate rather than hydrate, and at day camps this is a safety issue.

2nd is that the sugar attracts bees, which some kids may be allergic to. Our cub day camp always asked that parents not send soda or sugary fruit drinks for this reason.

Fruit punch and such is allowed. So, I think it's a dehydration/caffeine-craziness that is driving the rule.

Plenty of children react badly to things like soda. Not all parents are discerning. If I'm volunteering to be a counselor at a day camp, I might not want a bunch of hyped up kids to wrangle. Therefore, I can see asking that parents not send soda. I don't think that's really a matter of "personal preference," more like lots of personal experience managing other people's kids.

The fact that a growing list of life-threatening allergens is even mentioned seems to indicate that that's part of the annoyance. Personally, I think it's more important to safeguard another child's life than my child have some specific treat.

It's not a requirement to send your kids to camp. It's only part of the day. Nobody is telling you that you can't feed your kid soda and twinkies the other 18 or 20 hours in the day if you so choose.

This is a private group and they can institute whatever rules they please on their turf. It in NO WAY affects anyone's rights as an American and to insinuate that it does is the very definition of hyperbole.

And here I was, so carefully typing, trying not to use the phrase 'red herring' or the word 'hyberbole'. Instead 'smacks of paranoia', "Lenin" and "Glenn Beck" and the like were bandied about.

I have another window open, and I am applying for a checker job at a local grocery chain. I am setting it up so I can say things like, "Are they all yours?" and "Why aren't they in school?" and "Soda is bad for you, you shouldn't use pubic money to buy something that is so unhealthy", and "You should buy the gross gristly meat with your food stamps" and "Hamburger Helper is really easy to make from scratch" and "Canned beans are really expensive. You should buy dry and soak them." etc.

I just really, really need a job. ;)

Thanks for fixing the misquote. ;)

No hard feelings? (says the new girl, shyly....)

You're welcome.

No hard feelings whatsoever. :) I don't hold strong opinions or thoughts against anyone. (Well, unless you're here representing the KKK or something ;) or child abuse---which the mods wouldn't allow anyway. ;) )

It's a general board and we like to debate. We are women (mostly) :) with strong opinions. That's all, nothing more. (Well for me, there is more...I miss work...I miss not having regular adult banter and challenge in an intellectual setting with other adults. Admittedly, this is where I try to get my fix.)

I learn things here all the time, even when I disagree with people.

Except, it is *impossible* for a private day camp that you *choose to attend* to strip you of personal freedoms. That is not possible and it's very silly to imply that it is.

right, I was saying that bit tongue-in-cheek, admitting that I'd overreacted to the situation and apologizing to LibraryLover for kind of going off the deep end at her in response to the paranoia attacks.

clearly I've not lurked here long enough to get a feel for the way these sorts of discussions go on this board, so I'll bow out now and leave you to it.

You're welcome.

No hard feelings whatsoever. :) I don't hold strong opinions or thoughts against anyone. (Well, unless you're here representing the KKK or something ;) or child abuse---which the mods wouldn't allow anyway. ;) )

It's a general board and we like to debate. We are women (mostly) :) with strong opinions. That's all, nothing more. (Well for me, there is more...I miss work...I miss not having regular adult banter and challenge in an intellectual setting with other adults. Admittedly, this is where I try to get my fix.)

I learn things here all the time, even when I disagree with people.

thank you; I appreciate it.

I do think I'll read a bit more before jumping into something so heated......must remember not to read soda threads when I'm in a feisty mood. ;)

ETA: and I miss adult interaction to, living in a country where my English interactions are limited. But I think I'm not quite cut out for debate with this crowd, as I tend to throw logic and caution to the wind when I get really into a debate kind of mood.....not the best thing for this group, LOL!

right, I was saying that bit tongue-in-cheek, admitting that I'd overreacted to the situation and apologizing to LibraryLover for kind of going off the deep end at her in response to the paranoia attacks.

clearly I've not lurked here long enough to get a feel for the way these sorts of discussions go on this board, so I'll bow out now and leave you to it.

Sorry, I wasn't just responding to your post, but the general feel of a lot of posts in the thread. :001_smile:

I do think I'll read a bit more before jumping into something so heated......must remember not to read soda threads when I'm in a feisty mood. ;)

For the record, I am a soda addict. I *heart* soda. But, I don't allow my kids to drink it when they are under the charge of other people because sometimes it makes them act like idiots. Like I said before, not all parents are that kind or discerning. That's why I completely understand banning it from a particular activity.

Sorry, I wasn't just responding to your post, but the general feel of a lot of posts in the thread. :001_smile:

Ah, see, I missed that for sure. Thanks for clarifying, as I was feeling a wee bit picked on.

Am taking one of these :chillpill: for myself, think I need one. Probably I need to limit the Ron Paul videos in the future :lol: Too much chatter about personal liberty turns me into a stark raving lunatic. :lol:

You guys are good to put up with me :001_smile:

Oh, I don't feel jumped on! My skin is thick. It's not personal for me (Mostly. lol leave my one public -schooled wonderful teen of out it and I am fine...fine...lol)

I was pretty strong in my belief a private camp can make whatever food rules they want and we can take it or leave it. I don't agree it's a stripping of our god-given rights as Americans.

LOL :lol: Oh, and on the bolded? That won't work. There is basically a 50 page long debate about mascara -usage. You don't know what turn a post will take. ;) That's a fact.

You can't win for trying. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride. :D

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, I don't feel jumped on! My skin is thick. It's not personal for me (nostly lol leave my one public -schooled wonderful teen of out it and I am fine...fine...lol)

I was pretty strong in my belief a private camp can make whatever food rules they want and we can take it or leave it. I don't agree it's a stripping of our god-given rights as Americans.

LOL :lol: Oh, and on the bolded? That won't work. There is basically a 50 page long debate about mascara -usage. You don't know what turn a post will take. ;) That's a fact.

You can't win for trying. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride. :D

:iagree: If you want to avoid contentious threads don't mention shopping carts or crockpots for the love of all that is holy!

:iagree: If you want to avoid contentious threads don't mention shopping carts or crockpots for the love of all that is holy!

crockpots? I thought that was only an international no-no...?

(we have that rule on the International Board over at SL......)

So, okay, duly noted! (did I spell that right??? duly..?)

I'm not worried about my personal rights being stripped away from me. LOL Like others have said, if you don't like it, move on to a camp that's a better fit. I thought the OP just wanted to know if others would find it irritating, and I do. :D

I put 'yes,' because I don't want to be micromanaged, BUT I wouldn't complain. When someone else runs the show I try, try, TRY to limit my response to "Thank You" and "How can I help?" as long as there isn't a health or safety issue.

I do see the reasoning. I'd rather wrangle a group of kids on water than a group of sugared-up caffeinated kids. Add in that some parents will send soda as an honest rare treat, so you'll get kids with no real caffeine tolerance processing the stuff on camp time. That, and it's hard to argue against sending real food.

I'm not worried about my personal rights being stripped away from me. LOL Like others have said, if you don't like it, move on to a camp that's a better fit. I thought the OP just wanted to know if others would find it irritating, and I do. :D

Ah, I'm fine if you just find it grating. I still disagree, but I'm not queen of the world...yet. MWUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

For the record, parents bring snacks for the *group* for our American Heritage Girls group. We ask that they bring healthy snacks.

:lol:

You cannot discuss crockpots on the SL board?!?!? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

well, the general board, anything goes. But there's an "International Forum" made up mostly of people living outside the US, and we made up our own by-laws (mostly tongue-in-cheek) of which one is "no mention of crock pots" because, well, mostly people don't have them and do miss them (the Americans living outside the US).

So, ya know, it's not a real rule, just a self imposed one. which is still just as funny, I guess.....

(we also don't discuss cheese, walmart, target, canned pumpkin, pre-made, store-bought pie crusts, etc........oh, or Dr Pepper, which I guess should have clued me in to stay away from this thread :lol: .... you get the idea....)

I thought we were the only ones!!!! :lol: Okay, we CAN discuss crockpots, it just often turns into a long, long debate.

so, what sort of debate are crock pots over here???

'cause I'm guessing it's not the "don't talk about stuff we don't have access to" issue.......

You are right that this would be the way to go to get results BUT I would have to be willing to follow through and I am not. This particular camp is something my dd looks forward to all year long.

First I think the OP deserves a :grouphug:

I agree with MrsM in general, and see that the OP will not go down the refund road. I gathered that the list of forbidden foods was presented as a late footnote -- info shared well after registration. That is a majorly crappy move of the organizers. If it were me, it's not that I would've wanted know early such as to offer input to change their minds -- but I might have picked a whole different camp experience altogether for my child. Welcome to the world of many food-allergy parents. (i.e. needing to get the food story straight upfront OR NO DEAL [i hate to resort to legalese ... but I will re-phrase as "needing to get the formal food policy disclosed in a final and binding written form or NO DEAL"] )

How come? Because the organizers could continually add more weird restrictions, like:

No foods containing any form of protein

No foods containing iron, or compounds of iron

No foods that contain less than 50% of water by weight or volume, whichever is less.

Edited by mirth

First I think the OP deserves a :grouphug:

I agree with MrsM in general, and see that the OP will not go down the refund road. I gathered that the list if forbidden foods was presented as a late footnote -- info shared well after registration. That is a majorly crappy move of the organizers. If it were me, it's not that I would've wanted know early such as to offer input to change their minds -- but I might have picked a whole different camp experience altogether for my child. Welcome to the world of many food-allergy parents. (i.e. needing to get the food story straight upfront OR NO DEAL [i hate to resort to legalese ... but I will re-phrase as "needing to get the formal food policy disclosed in a final and binding written form" or NO DEAL] )

How come? Because the organizers could continually add more weird restrictions, like:

No foods containing any form of protein

No foods containing iron, or compounds of iron

No foods that contain less than 50% of water by weight or volume, whichever is less.

And this would happen...why?

I remember a Waldorf school parent who was upset there were no computers in the Kindergarten. ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

As to the question at hand:

DD the Elder's Brownie (soon-to-be Jr. Girl Scout) troop tries to focus on developing lifelong healthy eating habits, but there's juice at almost every meeting. :glare: I have no problem with not allowing soda (or whatever) at events in the name of healthy eating as long as the decisions are well thought out and defensible, rather than selecting a couple token items. To say no soda, but allow juice or Kool-Aid or similar isn't.

I'd be interested to see the entire list of "banned" items.

And just to fan the flames :tongue_smilie: here is an example of our county's anti-obesity/healthy living campaign. Posters like these are all over the city... on billboards, mall elevator doors, on the sides of buses. And I heartily approve.

6a00d8341c629753ef014e604fed05970c-800wi

so, what sort of debate are crock pots over here???

'cause I'm guessing it's not the "don't talk about stuff we don't have access to" issue.......

They go something like this:

Hooray, I love my crockpot, we went to soccer and came home to dinner!

Don't you know they are glazed with lead? You are killing your family!

I agree. It's not the same as a public program telling you what to pack in your child's lunch. Private programs are chosen because they meet a particular need and you want that particular need met.

I'm also reminded of a song: You can't always get what you waaant, but you just might get what you nneeeed.

I remember a Waldorf school parent who was upset there were no computers in the Kindergarten. ;) lol I remember running a child's art program where glitter, feather and sequins were forbidden beause they make too much of a mess. There are all sorts of odd little rules that at first don't make sense, but if one stops and thinks, some things do make sense. Do you want an angry custodian who glares at you...over glitter? Maybe these girl scouts have a health badge they are working on. :auto: Do Girl Scouts still earn badges? Or does everyone get a prize just for showing up?

Yes they still earn badges. Several of them at this particular camp.

You could not be more wrong about the part in red. There is not any annoyance at all about the allergens. I am willing to go WAY out of my keep a child safe. It was mentioned because when you add the things that can not be brought for allergen reasons (which are legit) to the things that you can not bring for food police reasons (which are the annoyance) it is an intimidatingly long list.

You know what we could do for kicks and jollies? We could edit my quickly typed posts. You can put hyphens and commas in all the correct places, and take them out of all the wrong places. It would also be educational.

Oooh, that does sound fun. :D

You could not be more wrong about the part in red. There is not any annoyance at all about the allergens. I am willing to go WAY out of my keep a child safe. It was mentioned because when you add the things that can not be brought for allergen reasons (which are legit) to the things that you can not bring for food police reasons (which are the annoyance) it is an intimidatingly long list.

I see. But, it's only intimidatingly long when the items are take altogether?

Ah, I'm fine if you just find it grating. I still disagree, but I'm not queen of the world...yet. MWUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

:lol:

For the record, parents bring snacks for the *group* for our American Heritage Girls group. We ask that they bring healthy snacks.

And that is totally reasonable. In fact, it probably would do wonders for my street cred if it was group policy, and not just me being the kill joy that brings whole wheat veggie wraps. ;)

Yes they still earn badges. Several of them at this particular camp.

Nice! I loved GS and I loved sewing my badges on my sash. I miss GS.

What's the rest of the list. Inquiring minds want to know. I was once part of a Waldorf parent-child playgroup with a super long list of don'ts. One of the rules was no plastic sippy cups. The children drank from cute teeny tiny metal camp mugs. Also, no food with dyes, nothing that wasn't whole, hats and undershirts (preferably wool & silk blend-- not enforced, but they spoke of keeping the body warn, although they never did a T -shirt check ;) ) and oh, no clothing with characters or words.

I knew it going in and I was thinking 'a tad nuts' but I loved that little program. So gentle and sweet and the teacher baked us bread every Friday. Loved walking into that room on Friday mornings. :) And I do think the layers on the children helped keep them mellow. ;) lol

Edited by LibraryLover

They go something like this:

Hooray, I love my crockpot, we went to soccer and came home to dinner!

Don't you know they are glazed with lead? You are killing your family!

-snort!-

hilarious.

Okay, will refrain from mentioning them here as well.

Now I'm off to do dishes and start prepping for dinner. Thank goodness my crock pot meal is not until tomorrow so I don't have to mention that.... :lol:

'night, everyone! By the time I check in tomorrow morning you guys will have this to 27 pages and there will be kilts showing up already....

You know what we could do for kicks and jollies? We could edit my quickly typed posts. You can put hyphens and commas in all the correct places, and take them out of all the wrong places. It would also be educational.
Hmmmm.... That might be fun if you changed "comma" to "dot" and started writing in Morse Code.

.. / -.. --- / -. --- - / -- .- -.- . / ..-. ..- -. / --- ..-. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . .----. ... / ... .--. . .-.. .-.. .. -. --. / --- .-. / --. .-. .- -- -- .- .-. / .. -. / ..-. --- .-. ..- -- ... --..-- / -... ..- - / ... --- -- . - .. -- . ... / .. / -.. --- / .-- .. -. -.-. . .-.-.-

I'm pretty amazed at some of the responses that say they would demand a refund, they would send it anyway, and so forth. If the banned list truly is ridiculous or appears nonsensical, then yes, I might address it. But surely it would make sense to ask if there were valid reasons behind the list, and to ask that those reasons (if they exist) be printed along with the list. And, if the reasons don't exist, to politely ask that the policy be reconsidered, or politely bow out of the activity.

Rules like "Please limit sticky and sweet items" don't get through to many people. That's why a specific list is often required, silly as it seems.

I run some local classes, and I promise you that I have never needed anyone's money badly enough to put up with defiant Twinkie smugglers. If a child has a forbidden item, I will put it on the side for them to take home and offer a substitute. If a parent comes in with guns blazing after that, I will happily refund their money. Heck, I might even give them a little extra, if they promise never to come back ;)