Menu

Walmart? America's Best for eye glasses?

I've had pretty good luck with Walmart. Nothing fancy, and my prescription is simple, but when the prescription was "off" for one of my new pairs of glasses, they were easily replaced once they had checked the lenses with their machine and determined they weren't the same prescription at which I had tested. I don't use it for my wee ones with more complicated prescriptions, though, because the exam isn't as thorough as I would like.

So...I guess it depends! Hope someone else chimes in!

Sandy

We get our glasses at Walmart because it is the only place in town. For the past ten years, we have been satisfied with the optometrists and with the glasses themselves. We never had issues with breakages or incorrect prescriptions. The customer service is good, they adjust bent glasses for free. It usually takes less than a week to received the new glasses after they have been ordered.

DD's new glasses cost only $29.

We use Wal Mart. DD4 began wearing glasses when she just turned 3 and we got her pair from there. They ended up being like $40 or $50 and we didn't get the flexible kind....they never broke. I did get a pair of rimless ones there and they ended up breaking. But I've heard that they can break easily anyways.

This time we got DD4's glasses from Target because they had a red pair. We paid nearly $200. Then we walked into Wal Mart a few weeks later (we had previously checked there before buying from Target) and they had a red pair for like $50. :glare: We're getting those as her back up pair.

Yes, I've also ordered from Zenni too. The glasses that I ordered were fine. But I ordered some prescription sunglasses and they seemed blurry. The only thing I don't like about Zenni is the shipping time....plus the fact that you have to have the distance between the pupils, which I always seem to forget to ask our doctor to do. :glare:

I tried using WM once to get the glasses (exam was done elsewhere), but they messed it up (my prescription is pretty strong). I also didn't like having to wait about a week for the glasses to come in. I gave up on them and went back to Lenscrafters...yes you pay a little more, but you get same day service and it takes less time to fix something if they mess up.

If you have a prescription you can get a free pair from Coastal Contacts this Tuesday the 16th. They run specials all the time so if you miss out, just keep checking their Facebook page. I got a free pair a couple of weeks ago and I ordered a pair for dh last week. You just pay for shipping and handling (around $15). They come pretty quickly too. Mine only took a few days.They're awesome, you ought to try them :001_smile:

Coastal Contacts

I've never done Walmart, but I like America's Best. AB comes out cheaper without using our insurance than Lenscrafters does WITH our insurance.

The wait time is kind of a pain but, fortunately, our scripts aren't so drastic that we might find ourselves in a glasses "emergency". We can read and I can drive without them if need be.

We have gone to Walmart for our vision appointments for the last 15 years. We don't have vision insurance, but their prices are the most reasonable in our area. My frames actually cost $8 - before lenses - and they are cute enough to wear in public :tongue_smilie:

We have 3 in glasses and contacts and have never had a problem!

We get ours from Zenni Optical online. My husband got two pairs of glasses plus the extras (fancier lenses, etc.) for $50 shipped. They have lasted him over a year so far and are still going strong.

I tried Zenni Optical based on recommendations here. The glasses I got, with transitions lenses (automatic sunglasses), were $30 including shipping. My only complaint with them is that the ear-pieces are too long and I don't know how to adjust them, so I keep having to push them up when they slip down.

But, I'm going to check Sam's Club this year, heard they are cheaper. You don't need a membership for optical.

Sam's is not cheaper. They sell major name brands and run a little bit less than Pearl. I was not impressed because I don't care if I have Ralph Lauren frames. They are slightly cheaper for contacts.

I tried Zenni Optical based on recommendations here. The glasses I got, with transitions lenses (automatic sunglasses), were $30 including shipping. My only complaint with them is that the ear-pieces are too long and I don't know how to adjust them, so I keep having to push them up when they slip down.

Here's a video showing how to adjust them. The bend in the ear piece needs to be adjusted.

We are also fans of Zenni Optical.

I went to America's Best a few weeks ago for the first time. Their promo of two pairs of glasses for $69.95 just sounded too good to pass up, and I haven't had new glasses in ten years- It was time.

I thought they had a nice selection of frames, and I thought the visit with the optomotrist was excellent. It was quick- we moved from task to task, and within ten minutes I had a new prescription.

The only problem I had with them, really, was that the $69.95 for two pair was really only for the cheapo pop-bottle plastic lenses. In order to get the polycarbonate, I had to pay quite a bit more. I chose two different pairs, and got one of them as prescription sunglasses. When all was said and done, I ended up paying just shy of $200 for two pairs of glasses- but that did include the eye exam and a prescription that's good for two years. I also have a 1 year warranty, so if something breaks or gets majorly scratched, they're covered.

I had to wait a week for the new glasses to come in, but when they came in, they fit perfectly, and I'm very pleased with them. I will go back to them for sure.

I used to go to WM for my eye exams, but every time they really, really pressured me to get the contact lens exam and contacts. Even though I really only wanted glasses, two visits in a row I walked away with contacts instead, which I have never found comfortable. Each time they promised that "these disposables will work better for you". :glare:

I used Zenni Optical online after I woke up to my youngest trying to put the lens back into my frames after she bent the ear pieces all the way forward. I got my prescription at Costco because they offered the earliest appointment and were willing to give me the pupilary distance (other places flat out told me they wouldn't). Then I ordered online for $37.90 shipped. My glasses came with magnetic clip-on sunglasses. The clip-on's were flimsy, but fine. You can't beat the price.

I had the same problem I was in a place last week getting my exchange student's glasses fixed (a screw fell out) and he adjusted mine for free.

We have used Walmart for DS's glasses. He started wearing glasses at 5, so the adjustments and free replacement frames was a must. He has transitions because he has always worn sunglasses, so scratch thing does not work for us.

HOWEVER, this year we got his new frames and lenses from Costco. Walmart still adjusts them for us for free. Turns out our puppy liked the ear pieces and nose pads. Went to to walmart because Costco is an hour away and did not have the time. They offered to use or frame warranty - IT COVERS this too!!! BUUUTTTT.... we did not get the frames there! :glare:

All that said, we are regulars for adjustments (9 year old gymnast) and they removed the ear plastic pieces and replaces them for FREE!!!

We will spend more time looking for frames that fit at Walmart next year when it is time for new glasses! GOOD GRIEF!

We have used Walmart for DS's glasses. He started wearing glasses at 5, so the adjustments and free replacement frames was a must. He has transitions because he has always worn sunglasses, so scratch thing does not work for us.

HOWEVER, this year we got his new frames and lenses from Costco. Walmart still adjusts them for us for free. Turns out our puppy liked the ear pieces and nose pads. Went to to walmart because Costco is an hour away and did not have the time. They offered to use or frame warranty - IT COVERS this too!!! BUUUTTTT.... we did not get the frames there! :glare:

All that said, we are regulars for adjustments (9 year old gymnast) and they removed the ear plastic pieces and replaces them for FREE!!!

We will spend more time looking for frames that fit at Walmart next year when it is time for new glasses! GOOD GRIEF!

Our Sam's Club (where we go for our eye exams) has great service like this, too, even though they know we can't afford to buy our frames there. The drs. and staff are excellent and have replaced nose pieces for free, even though we would have paid. And we always go there for adjustments. The dr confided to me last time that he was looking into something to be able to provide glasses at a much more reasonable cost, even though he knew all the other eye places in town would be furious. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.