Menu

Reading at Grade Level?

bluechicken

I am new to this as my ODD is starting kindergarten. I see a lot of posts here saying things such as, "DD6 is reading at a 6th grade level" or "DS7 is reading at a 10th grade level". How do you know that their reading is at a certain level? Is there some sort of test that tells you their reading level?

Thanks!

I only "officially" know one of my children's reading levels. He just underwent some testing at age 7 and reads at a 4th grade level. I think my youngest is 6 and reading at a 2nd grade level because of where he is in his reading instruction. My other two I have no idea.... I know my 10 y/o is far above grade level and my guess is my 9 y/o is above as well, but probably not as far above as my 10 y/o. I don't worry too much about it because they are all good readers. If I was concerned I'd probably figure out a way to test it, but I don't have good ideas for how to do that! :001_huh:

I am wondering this as well...I have tried using the Lexile level website and the AR Book Finder website and gauge it by them...I also found this PDF that shows the levels side by side...but I would love something that gives a more 'true' answer...if that's even possible, LOL!!

According to the AR site, all the books he reads are between 1.5 and 2.6, so I am assuming that would be about late 1st, early 2nd grade level based on their levels. With the Lexile levels, his level range is between 250L and 400L, which according to their site is about 2nd grade level.

I am not sure that they are accurate though when it comes to true reading level?! I am just keeping track of what he CAN read and hopefully someday I will find the answer :P So, according to that Scholastic one...he's also at a 2nd grade level...basing it on books like the Frog & Toad series, Mouse Soup, etc...??

Edited by nov05mama

I believe that much of the time (not all the time) people say that based on their child's decoding skills, not their actual comprehension, vocabulary, etc. If a child has his phonics down he can easily "read" some very adult words (but not have a clue what they mean). Don't worry, it isn't actually the case that 90% of children are geniuses.

I too really like the Scholastic Book Wizard. It's nice that it gives both reading level and interest level.

Edited by crstarlette

I believe that much of the time (not all the time) people say that based on their child's decoding skills, not their actual comprehension, vocabulary, etc. If a child has his phonics down he can easily "read" some very adult words (but not have a clue what they mean).

I wondered THIS as well...I mean...if I had him to try, he *could* read longer books (chapter books, etc like MTH and the like) but him read that and actually remember any of it or know everything he's reading? Probably NOT! I know he comprehends the easy books (Frog & Toad, Mouse Soup, etc etc) that he can read...but I am at a loss when it comes to this 'level' business :lol:

I also use the Scholastic Book Wizard. It is quick and easy and allows you to find other books at the same or slightly higher level. I just used the Sonlight reading test. It suggested core F. Does anyone know the grade level equivalent for reading? It is suggested for 5th-8th grades.

I go by what he's reading and comprehending, looking up grade levels in Scholastic Book Wizard. His phonics skills are actually behind his reading skills, as he taught himself to read. I don't know his exact reading level at this point, but he read a book recently that was grade level 7.3 and was able to discuss the story with me. I suspect that book was on the edge of his reading level.

I think different people mean different things when they say this.

Sometimes it's based on one of those short decoding tests.

Sometimes it's based on an ITBS score.

Sometimes it's based on an individual achievement test score.

Sometimes it's based on what the child is actually reading and enjoying (the easiest and most accurate, IMO).

A good online test is the DORA. Here's a link: DORA

I think different people mean different things when they say this.

Sometimes it's based on one of those short decoding tests.

Sometimes it's based on an ITBS score.

Sometimes it's based on an individual achievement test score.

Sometimes it's based on what the child is actually reading and enjoying (the easiest and most accurate, IMO).

A good online test is the DORA. Here's a link: DORA

How accurate is DORA? It seems high to me in my dd's case.

At 5 nearing the end of K she tested with a comprehension of 6.17. On the other hand it seemed super low for ds. At 6 nearing end of 1st he tested at 2.5. Same exact score for comprehension as last year - I'm pretty sure he didn't read the passages and just tried to answer the questions though.

Is it really accurate that she can comprehend at a low 6th grade level? She routinely reads books at a 5th grade lvl and then also blows through 5-6 books a night at a 2-3 grade lvl so I guess it's possible.

I only "officially" know one of my children's reading levels. He just underwent some testing at age 7 and reads at a 4th grade level. I think my youngest is 6 and reading at a 2nd grade level because of where he is in his reading instruction. My other two I have no idea.... I know my 10 y/o is far above grade level and my guess is my 9 y/o is above as well, but probably not as far above as my 10 y/o. I don't worry too much about it because they are all good readers. If I was concerned I'd probably figure out a way to test it, but I don't have good ideas for how to do that! :001_huh:

I don't know what reading level any of my kids are at, either. My 6 yro is probably on a solid 1st grade reading level. But, she's in 1st grade. :D

I've spent a lot of time in the last year getting the oldest 3 kids to enjoy reading and be able to pick out/ask for books that are interesting to them.

I believe that much of the time (not all the time) people say that based on their child's decoding skills, not their actual comprehension, vocabulary, etc. If a child has his phonics down he can easily "read" some very adult words (but not have a clue what they mean). Don't worry, it isn't actually the case that 90% of children are geniuses.

I too really like the Scholastic Book Wizard. It's nice that it gives both reading level and interest level.

Good reminder that reading is really a SET of many skills, not just decoding. I think different brains learn differently; some things are easier for one child, skills in one child don't develop uniformly, and imo it has NOTHING to do with intelligence.

I think the questions are: how well can their decode (read) new words? How is their comprehension of what was read? When they read aloud, can they read fluidly and with proper inflection/emphasis (requires lots of multitasking)?

My dd's are naturally abstract thinkers. They can see relationships between things (a math fact family is obvious to them when presented with one fact, for example), and easily grasp abstract concepts. "Most" kids won't develop those abstractions for several more years, but I consider that a brain wiring thing, not a "genius" thing. :lol: WRT reading, it means their comprehension and vocab preceded their decoding and their decoding (esp my eldest) moved quickly from CVC to skimming ahead. I'm glad these things come easily for them (other things will not), but in the long run does it matter what grade level they are reading at?

I think the age-appropriateness and content is most important. It can be difficult to find books for kids whose decoding/comprehension is "ahead".

I think it is helpful to have a feeling for where your kids are on each component of reading, but composite grade levels as a means of comparing kids, not so much! :D

One thing to keep in mind, especially when talking to parents of public schooled students, is that these statements are often based on standardized tests and many parents misinterpret the results.

Results on standardized tests come with a "grade level equivalency". So for example, you'll see a 2nd grader score a "6.5 grade level equivalency" on the reading comprehension section.

Many parents misinterpret this to mean that their 2nd grader is reading at a 6th grade level. That's not what grade level equivalency means. It means the child scored as well as an average 6th grader would if tested on the same material. On a standardized test, the 2nd grader isn't being presented with 6th grade level reading material so it is erroneous to say the 2nd grader is reading "on a 6th grade level" based on that result.

Obviously such a child is still above average and is doing quite well, but if you ever wondered why so many parents make claims of their kids' prodigy-level performance, this is why. There are not as many little geniuses running around as you might be led to believe based on parental claims. :D

I go by where the books my children are reading and comprehending are typically found. DS is mostly reading books like the Flat Stanley series, Capitol Mysteries series, Horrible Harry series, Magic Treehouse series, etc. I'd say those are late 2nd/early 3rd grade level. If he's motivated enough, he will read longer books (he loved George Washington's Socks and George Washington's Spy by Elvira Woodruff). But he doesn't typically choose those.

DD *can* read just about anything, but the books she typically chooses are mostly at a jr. high level.

How accurate is DORA? It seems high to me in my dd's case.

At 5 nearing the end of K she tested with a comprehension of 6.17. On the other hand it seemed super low for ds. At 6 nearing end of 1st he tested at 2.5. Same exact score for comprehension as last year - I'm pretty sure he didn't read the passages and just tried to answer the questions though.

Is it really accurate that she can comprehend at a low 6th grade level? She routinely reads books at a 5th grade lvl and then also blows through 5-6 books a night at a 2-3 grade lvl so I guess it's possible.

I don't think any of the tests are that accurate. Did you sit with your children while they were taking it? The comprehension test can be skewed by subject matter knowledge (and you can see if this is possible by seeing the test). And, like you mentioned, if they don't take it seriously, then the results are meaningless. FWIW, my son also tested at 6th grade for reading comprehension on the DORA at the end of K. He was a good reader.

The reason I recommend the DORA is that it is more comprehensive than the other online assessments, is easily accessible, and is relatively inexpensive. If your daughter is reading books at a 5th grade level for pleasure than I'd say that her reading level is at least 5th grade level (and probably more like 6th or 7th when she is being a bit challenged by the material) as children usually don't find pleasure in doing things that are difficult.

On about three of those reading tests linked here and on other threads, my daughter scores around grade 7.3 or G for Sonlight. She could also spell most of the words as well as read them. Based on the various reading suggestion sites such as Scholastic Book Wizard, the books she likes to read are in the ages 9-12 or grades 5-8 range. Anything higher than that level, it is too slow/frustrating for her to read. So I'm assuming those tests did a pretty good job helping me figure out her reading level, and thus I've found them very helpful.

I'm pretty sure the tests we did were pretty accurate, as she's writing her own books now liberally speckled with big vocabulary and spelling words.

For what it's worth, phonics was a huge part of our early learning. I never required her to read early readers that might bore her. She went from not reading on her own at all to reading 4th-8th grade books, and only started really reading this summer at age 6.5. Up until now, I was always worried she'd never read (on her own), but it seems all our hard work has finally paid off.

We are using OPGTR and HOP. I know that OPG gets you to a 4th grade reading level, but I don't know if that means you're ready to start 4th grade reading or you've finished 4th grade reading. But it OPG does not give you grade levels. So I compared OPG and HOP and I used HOP as the guides for K, 1, and 2. If you want me to list which OPG lessons correspond to which grade level, based on this, I can. I will consider my son to be reading at what level the HOP is is currently working with.

I used HOP as the guides for K, 1, and 2...I will consider my son to be reading at what level the HOP is is currently working with.

FWIW, I think HOP 1st grade corresponds to 1st semester of 1st grade and HOP 2nd grade corresponds to 2nd semester of 1st grade. The readers at the end of HOP 2 are about the same level as Henry & Mudge and those are rated around 2.1 (1st month of 2nd grade).

Like many others, I use the scholastic book wizard to get an idea of their reading level. I just punch in the title of what they have recently read to get an idea of their reading level. I use this information to choose more books. It's an excellent tool.

I have found the online assessments to be almost right on when it comes to determining reading level. Some people have a huge gap between what the results of the assessment are and what their dc can actually read so I wouldn't place much value on them. They may be useful in seeing progress but not in actually determining book choices.

:lol: :iagree:

:iagree: and :lol: at the last bit.

I just gave my DS an informal reading assessment I found while searching the board, and wow! Based purely on his decoding skills, he scores a 9.0. Yes, he has great phonics skills, but there is no way my 7yo boy is reading and comprehending on a low high-school level! He can read above grade level with decent comprehension, but not that high.

I'm actually thinking about scraping up the funds for the DORA, but I wonder whether it's worth it. Of course, it might just get my teacher-MIL and my sp.ed. teacher friend off my back....hmmm....

FWIW, I think HOP 1st grade corresponds to 1st semester of 1st grade and HOP 2nd grade corresponds to 2nd semester of 1st grade. The readers at the end of HOP 2 are about the same level as Henry & Mudge and those are rated around 2.1 (1st month of 2nd grade).

I was unclear. By K, 1, and 2, I meant Kindergarten, 1st grade (which is levels 2 & 3) and 2nd grade (which is levels 4 & 5.)

Some of us don't post our kid's reading levels because they aren't as high as other people's kids. Kind like when we are posting our curriculum list for the next year & leave off what level of math or LA we are using. We don't want to appear "behind" to the Hive. :mellow:

So, :iagree: with the not everyone's kids are genius's. I do have friends whose kids at the beginning of PS K were at 3rd-5th grade reading levels. Those were both test results & because of actual books they were reading/ comprehending/ enjoying on a daily basis.

I've used McCall-Crabbs for tracking improvement (trend) in reading comprehension. I've used some of the reading level links in this thread previously. I use the book leveled lists now only to find new books that are in the same realm as the ones my dc are enjoying. (Only to find out our local small town library doesn't have any of them.)

Some of us don't post our kid's reading levels because they aren't as high as other people's kids. Kind like when we are posting our curriculum list for the next year & leave off what level of math or LA we are using. We don't want to appear "behind" to the Hive. :mellow:

I agree - these sorts of posts will only make you fret that your child isn't up to scratch. The only people who usually answer are those with kids who read above grade level -it's rare that someone will reply who has a kid with an average/below grade level reader.

My DD doesn't have a reading level yet - she is just starting out - but from what I've seen on the hive she is way below average because it seems that most kids here start reading at 3 (self-taught too) :tongue_smilie:

I try not to get caught up in the "my child is..." dh and I aren't geniuses and we both turned out fine.

The scholastic book wizard reading level helps me find books for my ds. He was consuming 5-6 easy chapter books a day and I can't walk out of the library with 35 books for him alone. I don't want to keep track of that many books! Using titles that took him 1-2 days to finish, I located the reading level and searched for books at that level.

I used two of the free reading tests listed here which someone on this board had recommended on another similar thread.

I found it very helpful to do the tests. Even though it mostly confirmed what we knew about our kids (since we have them regularly read aloud from books which are challenging for them), it was helpful to get an idea about what they can do if they are pushed. My kids normally choose books to read for fun which are somewhat below their ability. These kinds of books are good for them to read since they help develop speed and provide practice. However, I would not judge their reading level just on their preference for "fun" reading books. I choose reading books for them to read aloud to me for a certain amount of time during school which are difficult, both in reading and comprehension, which helps them improve.

I also agree with others comments that besides decoding skills, we should work on comprehension and reading aloud with expression. It is easy to feel like we have finished reading instruction when the first goal is accomplished without realizing that the second two objectives need significant attention as well.

I agree - these sorts of posts will only make you fret that your child isn't up to scratch. The only people who usually answer are those with kids who read above grade level -it's rare that someone will reply who has a kid with an average/below grade level reader.

My DD doesn't have a reading level yet - she is just starting out - but from what I've seen on the hive she is way below average because it seems that most kids here start reading at 3 (self-taught too) :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I have noticed this as well...

My oldest son is reading and doing math below grade level...He is going to 5th grade and is still doing Math Mammoth 3B...I have never had his reading level tested, but I am sure most 10 year olds can probably read on a higher level...My 5 and 6 year olds (almost 7) can't read yet and are just starting out...But it does seem that every kid taught themselves to read at 3 here :tongue_smilie:

If you are reading this or lurking, please know that not every kid here is years above grade level, or even at grade level...Everyone didn't start early, and your child can learn what he/she needs to learn...I have at least 8 more years to teach my oldest son, and it is easier to teach him than my two youngest because he is more mature and just has a better understanding of things when they are presented to him...I will not wait as long with my younger two, but I am not going to push them either...Just make a plan and stick to it regardless of where other children are...I still struggle feeling like my son is behind, but I keep reminding myself of that last part in bold...

I'm probably in the minority but I use an informal reading inventory...

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Reading-Inventory-Pre-Primer-Assessments/dp/0757551270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313152284&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Qualitative-Reading-Inventory-2nd/dp/0673990869/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313152308&sr=1-1

The BRI tends to score higher than the QRI but includes more info about early reading. I found doing this extremely helpful in assessing decoding, fluency, and comprehension.

This frustrated me for a long time. DS couldn't read CVC words when he turned 5, even though we'd been doing gentle phonics work for almost a year. It made me wonder if I was doing something wrong, since so many other kids here were reading prodigies. I finally had to remind myself that reading is a developmental skill, and all the work in the world will not force a child who's not ready to read. When he was ready, he had a major leap in understanding that just wasn't possible before. These leaps can come for different kids at different ages. For some, it's at 3. Others, it's at 7, or 8, or even later.

Since it's relevant, I'll admit: DS is "behind" in math. He's a rising second grader, but still in the first 1/2 of RightStart B. If he continues at a steady pace, he'll finish it around Christmas. Maybe. I hope.

I was unclear. By K, 1, and 2, I meant Kindergarten, 1st grade (which is levels 2 & 3) and 2nd grade (which is levels 4 & 5.)

Yes, that's what I meant. The blue & green books in HOP 2nd grade strike me as being on a 2nd semester of 1st grade level. Second grade reading is beyond the readers in HOP 2nd grade, more along the lines of Magic Treehouse, Junie B. Jones, etc.

I'm probably in the minority but I use an informal reading inventory...

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Reading-Inventory-Pre-Primer-Assessments/dp/0757551270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313152284&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Qualitative-Reading-Inventory-2nd/dp/0673990869/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313152308&sr=1-1

The BRI tends to score higher than the QRI but includes more info about early reading. I found doing this extremely helpful in assessing decoding, fluency, and comprehension.

This is what I was going to recommend. These also give a student's independent, instructional and frustrational reading level for decoding and comprehension.

I have one of each. :D DD9 (starting 4th grade) is an excellent reader. Not off the charts but she scores high on decoding tests and her fun reading is a grade level or two ahead.

On the other hand, DS8 (starting 3rd grade) is reading right on grade level, finally. He has always been a struggling reader and public school didn't do him any favors. Last year was the first for him to be homeschooled all year and his reading level improved dramatically. He started 2nd grade at a mid- 1st grade reading level and a couple of weeks ago he tested (decoding) at 3.4. However, I think he does understand all the words that he was able to read on the decoding test so I think this is a pretty good assessment.

I'll also say something else about DS and I'm curious if other kiddos do this, too. He seems to "skip" words as he reads. Usually it's little words like a, an, the, etc. but he'll also skip words he doesn't know. He can't be doing it too much because he is able to tell me all kinds of funny things that Fudge did in the story. LOL.. He also does a lot of his schoolwork independently and if he were still really struggling with reading, I don't think he'd be able to do his writing or grammar effectively. Given all his troubles with reading, I am not harping on him about it at all. I want him to learn to love reading, not dread being judged on his ability.

I'll also say something else about DS and I'm curious if other kiddos do this, too. He seems to "skip" words as he reads. Usually it's little words like a, an, the, etc. but he'll also skip words he doesn't know.

Skipping words can be a sign of vision problems as well as a sign of dyslexia.

Skipping words can be a sign of vision problems as well as a sign of dyslexia.

Really? I always figured it was just because he tries to do everything so fast. When he slows down and takes his time, he can read all the words. It seems to be a matter of getting him to focus and pay attention.

DD does it sometimes, too, and I know she's not dyslexic and a recent eye exam for her was 20/20. I also know that many adults do not read every word when they're reading, either.