Menu

Dh just asked me what year it is!

About an hour ago, I was cutting dh's hair. Out of the blue, he asked me what year it was. :001_huh: I asked him if he felt ok, and he just laughed and said 'Well, I know it's 2010 or 2011, but which one is it?' So I refused to answer him, since I couldn't really tell if he was pulling my leg or what. It was just so random, you know? So then he starts saying 'I think it's 2011. Right? Am I right?'

Dh just turned 35. He's a very bright guy; Senior Engineer, very good at his job, trains other programmers at his company's location in India, etc.

So, after confirming that yes, it is in fact 2011, I asked him, in all seriousness, to tell me what day of the week it is and who the president is. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't, I dunno, having a stroke or something.

He answered correctly (thank goodness, LOL), and said he felt fine, he just couldn't remember for sure what year it was.

We both kinda laughed about it, but now I'm wondering if I should be worried. Anyone btdt, or have any advice? He does have sleep apnea, but he's been using a cpap for several months now, and his apnea is much better.

About an hour ago, I was cutting dh's hair. Out of the blue, he asked me what year it was. :001_huh: I asked him if he felt ok, and he just laughed and said 'Well, I know it's 2010 or 2011, but which one is it?' So I refused to answer him, since I couldn't really tell if he was pulling my leg or what. It was just so random, you know? So then he starts saying 'I think it's 2011. Right? Am I right?'

Dh just turned 35. He's a very bright guy; Senior Engineer, very good at his job, trains other programmers at his company's location in India, etc.

So, after confirming that yes, it is in fact 2011, I asked him, in all seriousness, to tell me what day of the week it is and who the president is. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't, I dunno, having a stroke or something.

He answered correctly (thank goodness, LOL), and said he felt fine, he just couldn't remember for sure what year it was.

We both kinda laughed about it, but now I'm wondering if I should be worried. Anyone btdt, or have any advice? He does have sleep apnea, but he's been using a cpap for several months now, and his apnea is much better.

I think your explanation is bolded. He has widgets that date things. He doesn't actually need to know this information. You should be happy he can find his way home. :D

~Angela, who used to be Queen of the Traveling Geeks at the hotel bar.

I think your explanation is bolded. He has widgets that date things. He doesn't actually need to know this information. You should be happy he can find his way home. :D

~Angela, who used to be Queen of the Traveling Geeks at the hotel bar.

Hmm, you make a good point, Angela...

I think your explanation is bolded. He has widgets that date things. He doesn't actually need to know this information.

:iagree: I also have those kinds of swiss cheese moments. Not so long ago, I couldn't remember how DH and I came to be on our first date :confused: I could remember where we ended up at the end of our evening, but not how we got there! (We were supposed to meet a group from work at a bar, but no one else showed up, and we ended up hanging out together for hours.)

I think it's an age/preoccupation sort of thing.

i do this all the time so it wouldn't concern me at all. Do most people know the day, date, year all the time? I hardly ever can recall exactly what day of the week we are on. The date? almost ever. The year, usually I do get that one right; but sometimes... My age I always have to do math. These things just aren't really very important in my life.

I have no experience but could see where that might be disconcerting. However, I am beginning to forget how old I am. I have the general number, but get fuzzy on the specific one at times. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: when asked by an EMT recently "How old are you?" I answered...but then later when I gave my date of birth...he said "So, that would make you 39?" I just replied," if that's what the math says"...not sure if it's a memory issue, denial, or both...:lol:

:iagree: when asked by an EMT recently "How old are you?" I answered...but then later when I gave my date of birth...he said "So, that would make you 39?" I just replied," if that's what the math says"...not sure if it's a memory issue, denial, or both...:lol:

:lol: My dh has to give my age. I'm always mistakenly adding or subtracting a year!

This is perfectly normal for my engineer dh as well. What year is it, what month is it, what day is it, what's the date, how old he, I or our kids are, etc. Funny, but totally expected and normal for him.

I guess the main issue with your dh is whether this is typical for him or not. If so, no worries. If this is very usual, however, you might just keep your eyes open for any other strange behavior. But on the surface, I don't see a problem with it.

As soon as you said "engineer", I knew your DH and I were like minded. Stuff like that gets tossed to the side in favor of something more mechanical or logical. Life "things" are often forgotten by me. I have to ask the girls what year they were born so often that they made me sticky notes!

Ask me my phone number in a few hours, and I am sure that I won't remember. However, ask me which dynamic library to reference in my code, and I can spout that better than my own address!