Menu

So what's everyone using for the 2011/2012 school year?

Still putting some of it together but I am working fast as we start August 15th.

DS11

Math BJU

Reading BJU

Spelling: All About Spelling

Vocabulary: BJU spelling book

Science: BJU

History: Blessed Heritage

Handwriting: BJU workbooks with my instructions.

Grammar: Winston Grammar, some BJU, and yet to be determined for writing.

DD4

BJU Pathways

HWT

lots of crafts, books, and fun stuff

We school year round (it's too hot to do anything in the summer anyway). My son is 6 (PDD-NOS) and this is our second year homeschooling. His curriculum is a bit all over the place in that he's better at some things than others and we'll graduate to the next level and strange times of the year.

Math:

MUS Beta

Saxon Math 2

I anticipated finishing sometime in the spring and moving forward w/ the next level of each.

Langauge Arts:

FLL- surprisingly, the 3 yr old loves listening in on this one!

WWE-this one is very slow going for us. I like it and he does, too but comprehension is not a strong skill for him.

HWOT

Saxon Phonics 1 and 2 (we'll finish 1 in October)

Science:

Real Science Odyssey-Life

Scott Foresman Science First Grade (we like the pictures)-again, fun w/ the 3 yr old

History/Geography: We're lapbooking these two-

Galloping the Gobe (I've also found a website that links FIAR w/ this and am trying to compile in a reasonable, not too fussy way)

SOTW 1

The ones I do everyday are Math and Language Arts. Science and History/Geography are only 2 days/wk. He's in several different therapies and recreational gymnastics. The therapy itself and travel time take up several hours of each day. So, I don't want him to be too tied down w/ school aslo. I want him to still have lots of fun/play time. He's still only 6 and I prefer to keep class under 2hrs. That is the upper most limit of his attention anyway.

ETA: I do w/ the 3 yr old whatever he will tolerate. We've been doing some Starfall, simple math (counting, sorting, etc), he sits in on anything he wishes.

Edited by JessicaLady

My son is older now- 16.5yo. He'll be 17yo in late fall. This year we are starting out, with fear & trepidation, on a new path for him. He'll be going to school for the first time since pre-school. By grade he's entering 11th, but this program is a charter school on a community college campus. It accepts students who are entering 10th or 11th by tradtional grade. For the first semester all new students are in a self-contained classroom doing high school level subjects to consolidate their basic English, Math, and study skills. Once they demonstrate their readiness by getting study skill credentialed & passing their subjects, they can begin taking classes in the CC. Ultimately, in 3 years time, they graduate with a high school diploma and a technical certificate or associates degree.

The emphasis on teaching study skills, how to relate to teachers & how to navigate the college system will be helpful because these are the areas where my son will need extra help to transition to the college environment. My girls didn't need help with those things; because of ds's executive function weaknesses he needs explicit instruction in the environment where he will be using those skills.

Ds will be taking 4 classes at school:

High School English

High School Math- probably an intermediate algebra or college algebra level class

Environmental Science

Critical Thinking

He will afterschool for these subjects:

Spelling: Wizardsspell for drill (I choose the words); Megawords 4 if we can make the time

Japanese: Rosetta Stone & Tuttle Publisher's Beginning Japanese; the CC does not offer Japanese & with his dyslexia I don't want to introduce yet another language. He is learning, but at a different pace than how a school program would present foreign language anyway. My goal is to get him proficient enough by graduation to satisfy a foreign language proficiency requirement for most 4 year colleges.

Math: I have purchased Thinkwell's Pre-calculus to give ds video instruction he can go back to for specific topics if he needs review or another perspective before completing an assignment- I've found he clearly "gets" math better when it's presented orally

Writing: he will see his writing tutor twice weekly to get help with completing his writing assignments for school (not going to leave it up to the school to help- they won't even be convening an IEP meeting until he's 6 weeks into the semester)

Of course, I will be moniitoring his homework & helping as necessary, making sure he gets it done completely and gets it all turned in. I will also be documenting how much effort I'm expending at home to help him, so the school realizes the kind of help he's getting outside their setting.

Mine's a work in progress, can be seen at http://missedumacated.blogspot.com

I reckon we're going to be starting in about 3 months, as we only began (due to some shipping delays) with K & Toddlers, about April. eldest has already naturally learned most things, so we're just fast-pacing through the workbooks in our spare time (when we're not doing messy craft ;) )

For my ds going into first:

Language arts:

IEW PAL writing

AAS level 1 & 2

GWG 1 or FLL

Grade 3 readers from Sonlight

Wordly wise 1

Lots of read alouds

Math

Rightstart B

Maybe Singapore CWP 1

Science

Nancy Larson Science 1

History and geography

Using The NAMC Montessori curriculum for this. Lots of hands on stuff, that I think the little man will enjoy.

Art

Artistic pursuits.

Extras

Music class, swimming, karate, gymnastics

We will also be continuing with speech, physio, social skills group and vision therapy. For some of our particular needs we are using super duper's hear builder auditory memory program, a ot/pt program called Ready Bodies, a couple of auditory processing programs from Great Ideas for Teaching and the book Teaching your Child the Language of Social Success by Duke, Norwicki and Martin

We're doing textbooks this year. I can't handle classical ed at this time, no matter how much I want it.;) Sometimes "good enough" has to substitute for best, KWIM? I am comfortable with the idea of using textbooks and we have a usable schedule, so I am hoping for a good year.

13yo:

Barton

CLE Reading 6 and 7

ACE English, Math, Science, Social Studies

10yo:

Barton

CLE Reading 3

ACE English and Math

Rod and Staff Science 5

Rod and Staff Social Studies 5

8yo:

CLE Learn to Read

Rod and Staff Science 3

Rod and Staff Social Studies 3

ACE Math

7yo:

CLE Language Arts 2

CLE Reading 2

CLE Math 2

Rod and Staff Science 2

Rod and Staff Social Studies 2

5yo:

Rod and Staff A-B-C/G-H-I series

All About Reading Pre-Level 1

CLE Learn to Read (101-105 or so)

Edited by Renee in FL

We're doing textbooks this year. I can't handle classical ed at this time, no matter how much I want it.;) Sometimes "good enough" has to substitute for best, KWIM? I am comfortable with the idea of using textbooks and we have a usable schedule, so I am hoping for a good year.

I switched to using textbooks as my primary method a couple of years ago. They are what works best for my son and the way he learns. This year I am adding other things in and switching some things out, but textbooks are still a central figure. My son prefers knowing exactly what is expected of him and being able to predict future requirements. Living books make him crazy.

My dd12 is going through some fog and flux and alternates between saying stuff doesn't have enough content and saying she just wants to be in and out, lol. So the whim of the day for her is BJU straight with dvds. (She normally despises BJU with a passion, vehemently and vocally. So no we're not doing this.) So the theoretical plan and what I'm prepping is:

R&S7 spelling

Wordsmith Craftsman

various workbooks to work on editing

Gene Moutoux's book on diagramming

something out of the stack of math books I have for pre-algebra, maybe some algebra 1 (and boy do I have a stack!)

an eclectic mix of kits, TOPs, ACS chem, etc. etc. for science

photography and cooking

VP online history plus the lit and non-fiction reading I throw in to go with it, online lectures from Cengage, and world geography (continued) to coordinate

Balancing the Sword and other theology selections and memory work

In other words I'm trying to have more doing and more discussion this year while still making sure we work on the basics (editing and math). I told her if, by the end of the year, she can CLEAN UP after herself from cooking, the year will have been a SUCCESS. ;)

The only really brilliant thing I've done so far in planning is getting her these: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Accel-Spine-Guard-Notebook-1-Subject-8-1-2-x-11/product_892270 They come in 1, 3, and 5 subject. The have thick covers, moveable divider pockets inside, flags, and, get this, PLANNER CALENDARS!!! You heard right! Every subject will have a planner calendar. And the post-it flags are so you can mark stuff that isn't right. It means I can take my 5 things for LA that all seem like separate stuff and turn them into *one* task that doesn't require mental transitions. And all her weekly writing (summaries, dictations, etc.) go in there, each in their own section. It's just marvelous. It cost me a pretty petty, but I'm excited at this new way of organizing. Her ability to lose organization and lose track and fillibuster is so supreme, anything that makes it easy on me is welcome.

In fact, that's my whole goal for the year, personally, is STRUCTURE. Clear expectations, clear accountability, etc. I'm trying, sigh. My own wish was to see a little more vim and vigor, a little more pro-activeness. There's such a fine line. She really does seem to need more structure. Thing is, some structure encourages passiveness. Trying to avoid that.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I switched to using textbooks as my primary method a couple of years ago. They are what works best for my son and the way he learns. This year I am adding other things in and switching some things out, but textbooks are still a central figure. My son prefers knowing exactly what is expected of him and being able to predict future requirements. Living books make him crazy.

It's nice to know dd is not the only one.

DS2 alone:

Semple Math

AAS

Writing Skills A, Cursive and Keyboarding

Master Reader and SRA Comprehension cards

Together with dd:

Sonlight 3

Supercharged Science

Destinos (heavily modified, but it's time to learn Spanish grammar)

Lots of books on tape, dvds and field trips.

I've got Visualizing and Verbalizing for me to read and see how I can implement it.

This year we are doing a few things we have never done before so its all new for me and my kids but we are excited...

DD11:

IEW writing

Grammar {Essentials Classical Conversations}

Latin - Prima Latina and CC

Math- Math U See/LoF/CC games

Science- CC

History- CC/SOTW 3/4

Fine Arts: CC

DD9:

IEW Writing

Grammar {Essentials Classical Conversations}

Spelling- AAS

Latin -Prima Latina and CC

Math- Math U See/Right Start games/CC games

Science- CC

History-CC/SOTW 3/4

DD8: {Dyslexic, HFA, Expressive/Receptive Language Disorder}

Reading: LiPs/Barton/PAL? Not sure yet. Ugh. Just want her to be able to read already!!!!

Writing: PAL {IEW Primary Art of Language program}

Spelling: AAS

and using Some of Dianne Craft's right brained techniques with cards, etc

Math: Right Start Math

Speech therapy: NATHHAN {home therapy}

Vision: Maybe VT? {will find out on Thurs.}

History: CC/SOTW 3/4

Geography: CC

Science: CC

Latin: CC

DD7: {ADHD}

All of Language Arts: PAL {IEW's program- covers spelling with AAS, writing, reading, speaking}

Math: Math U See/Right Start games

DD5: {so excited to start school already! Hearing impaired}

Language Arts: PAL & ETC

Math: Math U See/Right Start games

Fine Arts: CC {composers, drawing, tin whistle}

DD3 1/2: {4 in Sept}

Preschool workbook

Mighty Minds magnet cards!

Inchimals {blocks math game}

puzzles

coloring

Lots of good reading aloud with Mom!

ALL KIDS: Sonlight readers and read alouds with Mom! :)

DD11

Math: finish Thinkwell, then possibly Dolciani or Chalkdust

Analytical Grammar, VFCR

Apologia General Science w/ co-op

Early American History

Classic "girl" literature

Elementary Greek: finish 2, start 3

Getting Started w/ Spanish, Visual Link and Rosetta Stone

Writing:??? open to suggestions :D (may default to WWS)

Spell Well http://www.susancanthony.com/books/sw.html

DS10

Semple Math

AAS

Writing and dictation

lots of read-alouds for history, science and lit

Devotional and Memorization: Young Person's Guide to Knowing God, 100 Bible Verses, His Word in My Heart, poetry, hymns and missionary stories

We just decided to change it up and use ACE, which is generally maligned as not rigorous enough. I tend to agree, but I am finding that my ideal is not a good fit for my boys. My 13yo in particular likes ACE because regular textbooks overwhelm him - he likes the thin workbooks. I'll be happy with progress forward, instead of the stagnation we have recently had.;)

I've changed my plans so many times with ds over the summer, I'm driving myself crazy! This is what I have tentatively planned:

Math -This is where we are really behind. We finally started making progress using Strayer Upton Practical Arithmetics. It's a reprint of a 1934 text, and ds gets a kick out of the prices used in the word problems. I supplement with Rod and Staff math and the Key to... series. We work mosly on the white board, with some drill work on paper.

Grammar - I think I'm going to give Analytical Grammar a try. I've heard from a few people that their spectrum kids have done well with it. He has done ok with previous programs, but it seems like he is just following the examples. Adverbs were a difficulty last year...

Science - RS4K, with some biographies of important scientists.

Spelling - Ds is quite a good speller. In lieu of a formal spelling program this year, I am thinking of doing something with spelling rules using Startwrite. He still needs cursive work, so I figured I could combine handwriting practice and spelling review. I don't plan on testing for spelling at all this year. Only a handful of times in 5 years has he misspelled a word on his spelling test.

Writing - Another problem area... I'm going to continue with WWE, perhaps moving to WWS later in the year. I'm also planning on using Winning with Writing. IEW has been looking very tempting to me, and I've heard many tales of good results with spectrum kids. It's just so darn expensive and I always miss out when someone sells it here. If I get a financial windfall of some sort I will order it.

History - We will be doing American history and government, along with a Rome study. I have a Catholic textbook that ds absolutely loves (Sea to Shining Sea) but I really want MP's program... Oh well. I plan on using Barron's Painless American Government, along with some lapbooks for govt.

Latin - Lively Latin, which will tie in to our Rome study. I used this, tried something else, and came back to it. I seem to do that often.:glare:

Logic - Mindbenders

Religion - MP's Christian Studies 4, Baltimore Catechism, Seton Religion series.

That's what I've got so far. My main issue for this year is my mom being ill. She was dx'd with lung cancer, and my sister, one of my brothers and I are the ones who seem to be taking on most of the responsibility for helping her. I'm exhausted, and I haven't started school yet. I'm feeling very pulled to order the 6th grade Memoria Press package deal. I'm so far behind on my planning, I love MP's materials, and it would be nice to have it all laid out for me. Financially it would be a bit of a stretch, but it may be worth it. I just can't seem to make a final decision.

My son is older now- 16.5yo. He'll be 17yo in late fall. This year we are starting out, with fear & trepidation, on a new path for him. He'll be going to school for the first time since pre-school. By grade he's entering 11th, but this program is a charter school on a community college campus. It accepts students who are entering 10th or 11th by tradtional grade. For the first semester all new students are in a self-contained classroom doing high school level subjects to consolidate their basic English, Math, and study skills. Once they demonstrate their readiness by getting study skill credentialed & passing their subjects, they can begin taking classes in the CC. Ultimately, in 3 years time, they graduate with a high school diploma and a technical certificate or associates degree.

The emphasis on teaching study skills, how to relate to teachers & how to navigate the college system will be helpful because these are the areas where my son will need extra help to transition to the college environment. My girls didn't need help with those things; because of ds's executive function weaknesses he needs explicit instruction in the environment where he will be using those skills.

Ds will be taking 4 classes at school:

High School English

High School Math- probably an intermediate algebra or college algebra level class

Environmental Science

Critical Thinking

He will afterschool for these subjects:

Spelling: Wizardsspell for drill (I choose the words); Megawords 4 if we can make the time

Japanese: Rosetta Stone & Tuttle Publisher's Beginning Japanese; the CC does not offer Japanese & with his dyslexia I don't want to introduce yet another language. He is learning, but at a different pace than how a school program would present foreign language anyway. My goal is to get him proficient enough by graduation to satisfy a foreign language proficiency requirement for most 4 year colleges.

Math: I have purchased Thinkwell's Pre-calculus to give ds video instruction he can go back to for specific topics if he needs review or another perspective before completing an assignment- I've found he clearly "gets" math better when it's presented orally

Writing: he will see his writing tutor twice weekly to get help with completing his writing assignments for school (not going to leave it up to the school to help- they won't even be convening an IEP meeting until he's 6 weeks into the semester)

Of course, I will be moniitoring his homework & helping as necessary, making sure he gets it done completely and gets it all turned in. I will also be documenting how much effort I'm expending at home to help him, so the school realizes the kind of help he's getting outside their setting.

This sounds like a wonderful program! I need to move from Japan to send our son. Where is it?

Juli in Japan

I just updated most of our curriculum plans in my siggie. I didn't include the planned list of readers/read alouds (still organizing) and I am planning to include a "course" on poetry, continuing Child's Introduction to Poetry.

My 12 year old has Asperger's, but high functioning - the 9 year old is dealing with ADHD and dyslexia and the 5 year old is unknown but delayed socially/emotionally and totally uninterested in school - should be interesting to see how he does in K this year!

My son is 5 and has Asperger's. He is bright and has a short attention span.

SOTW 1 (modified as needed) - really looking forward to the supplementary materials. I know some of the text will go right over his head, but the stories and activities are right up his alley. I was actually going to wait until next year to start, but it looked too good....

Phonics - ETC 2 and 3, plus OPGTR - he reads well, but doesn't get the WHY - so I am hopeful that going through these phonics programs slowly will help

Math Mammoth 1B (just have to finish up Horizons K, first :P )

Science - we are just winging it with science. Plants, animals, whatever. I have a science textbook that I picked up at a garage sale and I am just flipping through it for ideas. (next year we will do "real" science)

Read-alouds and Independent Reading - we got a lot of great stuff from library book sales, and I think I am going to try and hit most of the books from the Ambleside list.

Bible - Bible stories and short memory verses

Fine/Gross motor - Rod and Staff "Finding the Answers" and when that's finished we're doing Thinking Skills 1. For gross motor, we are using some activities found online.

Except for Math and Reading, we are hitting each subject once or twice a week.

DS13

Barton 9 and 10; and maybe something to give him more practice with multi-syllable words, BJU 6 for extra outloud practice.

Finish JAG book 2, begin AG

WWS - completed WWE 2 last year and started working on writing lessons in R&S 4

Spelling - start back with Barton 3 rules and lists and and add in Fry's list using Natural Speller ideas. I always feel like we are wasting our time with spelling.

Science - God's Design for Heaven and Earth, Gizmos (It took us 2 years to get through the 3 God's Design Life Science books)

History - Ren/REf WTM style (did no history last year, had this planned from the year before. We can only manage to get in either history or science in a year but not both. No therapy this year should give us more time.)

Math - Abeka pre-algebra with Kahn academy and Gizmos to assist

Art - Meet the Masters on-line, Feed My Sheep with videos (I doubt that we will get to much of this.)

Logic - Orbiting with logic (never seem to get to this.)

Community Choir

Local soccer and basketball

Mine is in my signature. We use HOD, Singapore Math, R&S English, and my oldest son does Rosetta Stone French. For those who aren't familiar with the HOD guides at each level, I will break it down a little:

RTR uses MOH Vol 3, Apologia Astronomy, and IEW Medieval writing lessons among MANY other resources and living books.

Bigger Hearts uses the "One Small Square" books, First Book of American History, Dictation based spelling and other living book resources.

We have already started our year (starting week 3 now) and it is going to be a great year!

I have no idea how, if at all, my son's special needs will affect him academically, so it's a bit of a guessing game. His IQ has tested as normal, and I can easily accommodate his more severe practical life needs.

I opted to put him into the Minnesota Virtual Academy (which uses K12) for K this year. I used K12 phonics with my older kids, so I can teach it in my sleep, and I know K12's kindergarten curriculum really well. MN only pays for half day kindergarten, so we'll only get K math, language arts and history (and I *love* K12's K history!) which will be perfect.

It'll be nice and light, and will keep him in the public school system until we figure out where we're at academically.

I have resisted joining this thread because it is still summer break here, and also we are joining a public school resource center which will offer classes to us, but we won't start that until Sept (so that also may affect curriculum choices!) But, I will give my current thoughts for my 7th grade dyslexic/ dysgraphic son.

Verticy Grammar/ Writing (final level)

Calvert 7th grade math (thinking of adding in additional resources)

Lightning Literature 7th grade

History/ Geography (either Oak Meadow or K12)

Science (hoping for something at the co-op)

Introduction to programming (DH is teaching)

Logic (Critical Thinking Book 1)

Of course, I may ditch and go back to Verticy for the Core....who knows! I have started a business so my need for ease may trump.

• 2 months later...

Hey! :iagree: DD10 is the same way. We switched to mostly CLE last year (we use VP on the computer) and school is MUCH better for us. She NEEDS the predictability and she's retaining more.

Hmm, just realizing I didn't post here! This year for 7th dd is doing:

-writing class through the co-op--paragraphs and essays, 3-4 paragraphs or 2 essays a week, takes her 6+ hours typically and leaves her wiped, but she's enjoying it

-VP online self-paced history--She did NTGR during the free one month trial and now she's plugging through the two american history courses, throwing in extra books and stuff. She LOVES this.

-some editing and LA workbooks from Critical Thinking Press, Editor in Chief, that kind of thing.

-Lial pre-algebra--Neither amazing nor terrible.

-Mark Kistler online drawing classes (one fee for 3 years, she loves it)

-co-op art class (Hmmm, you don't notice a THEME here, do you? :) )

-co-op yearbook

That's the stuff that really gets done. I have some things like Balancing the Sword and whatnot I've been trying to do with her. She's been doing some Mindbenders I have in a notebook (one daily for when she has seatwork). Science utterly flopped. That's probably my most disgruntling thing, and I haven't figured out a solution. I want her to do Mavis Beacon more, but the writing class homework has been leaving her so tired, it's hard to get much else done. I have a notebook of technology assignments I made for her, and she has done some of them. I'm trying to integrate technology tasks into her life, both overtly and covertly (hmmm, let's make a new grocery checklist on the computer!) but always intentionally. She's very, very good on the computer, and the more she does the more ways she has to let her creativity and design ability come out. In the yearbook class they're learning layouts and whatnot. It's basically a form of digital scrapbooking (that design thing again). I want to get her Photoshop when they come out with a new edition to support Lion.

I keep her reading, so I didn't even include that, mercy. To stop that, I'd have to plunge out her eyeballs and remove all the lightbulbs, lol. But it's usually fiction or some form of narrative writing.

I think this week we're going to start a Christmas ornament making binge. I got her a book, and I think we're really gonna go at it, doing decoupage and the whole thing, exploring lots of techniques. She's just getting so worn out with co-op stuff and has PUT IN HER TIME, we need to do something else. Science is the only thing that isn't really adequate, and I just haven't figured it out. Maybe in January I'll have a better sense of what we can do. Right now we're just going to watch NOVA videos and enjoy looking at the stars. It's something and it can get done.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I probably need to update my signature, but we are using:

DD (15):

Penn Foster Mechanical Engineering program

Community College English Comp. 121

Community College Pre-Algebra

Vocabulary From Classical Roots D

Rosetta Stone Italian

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Rosetta Stone Latin

DD (8):

Winter Promise Middle Ages

Story of the World Middle Ages

Exploring Creation Through Astronomy

Exploring Creation Through Botany

Saxon 5/4 with teaching discs (invaluable!)

Exercises in English D

Vocabulary From Classical Roots 4

Writing a 5 paragraph essay every 2 weeks

Rosetta Stone French

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Rosetta Stone Latin

Plus various Waldorf-style handwork, songs and crafts.

The Sponge is just dealing with ADHD-Inattentive and being a VSL, so my biggest changes are just doing short lesson times with LOTS of play breaks, using a whiteboard instead of paper & pencil, letting her write her own math problems, etc. We change our work constantly, lol, but here's what we have right now:

Phonics--ETC 3 & 4

Spelling--AAS on the whiteboard

Grammar--English for the Thoughtful Child with lessons split in half

Logic--a mix of Logic Countdown, Creative Thinking Skills Book 1, and chess.

Reading--just reading aloud for now, building up her decoding skills and stamina

Writing--occasional use of HWoT cursive, iPad apps, mostly just using her AAS dictations and her grammar sentences as her writing practice

Math--our new love is Miquon!!!!!! We have paused Singapore for the moment in favor of Miquon. Love it for the VSL style.

Science--BFSU plus interest-led, videos, experiments, etc.

History--just US states & presidents for now, a quick treatment once a week

Fine arts--outsourced

Vision Therapy

The Drama was in therapy for sensory & communication issues, looked very ADHD, but now seems pretty normal, minus emotional sensitivity/overexcitability. It's so interesting to see that she can now burn through her entire school day in one sitting, while her sister needs so many breaks all day. I'll list her anyway:

Phonics--ETC 1 & 2

Spelling--AAS on the whiteboard

Logic--Lollipop Logic 2

Reading--an occasional BOB book

Writing--HWoT

Math--MEP Reception

Science--following along, and picks out some books at the library for interest-led

Fine arts--outsourced (including gymnastics)