Menu

In Virginia now (was Kay in Cal) HELP VA boardies! SOI due in two weeks!

How and where do I send an SOI? We are commutning on a bi-weekly basis between Arlington and Williamsburg--where should we file? What do I need to write? Anyone have an idiot-proof example?

Also, we are looking for a town to live in. My goal for the next two months is to drive all over the state and find the perfect, place, but you can help!

Things we like:

College town -- Academic liberal arts leaning, not super conservative

Interesting main street/downtown

Not tiny, not huge

Willing to accept our California family

Friendly

Drivable to mainstream shopping (Best Buy key)

Natural beauty

Sense of place, not just anonymously anywhere

Arts or crafts scene

Methodist church

We like the Charlottesville area, but it is perhaps bigger than we are looking for, and expensive. Also thought about Staunton, Lexington... any other ideas we'll add to list.

Thank you!

Kay (formerly in Cal)

Also, any good groups in Williamsburg or Arlington for this fall?

How and where do I send an SOI?

Things we like:

Natural beauty

Arts or crafts scene

Also thought about Staunton

Thank you!

Kay (formerly in Cal)

Well I left in the things that describe Staunton. I love their downtown, very artsy(really cool glass blowing demo at one place) and we spent a week camping near here to enjoy the town. I don't anything about the college there though. But Mrs Rowe's is there to eat at...and that is worth moving there for :lol:

As for your NOI...if you don't have an address I wouldn't send one in until you do. It would be more hassle to do an NOI and then let them know later you won't be sending test results. Just wait until you have a permanent address. They don't know you are here, they don't know where you are living. Send one in when you move to where you will be staying.

How and where do I send an SOI? We are commutning on a bi-weekly basis between Arlington and Williamsburg--where should we file? What do I need to write? Anyone have an idiot-proof example?

Just a couple of comments:

1. How jealous am I that you'll live so close to Williamsburg!!!!

2. The rule of thumb on the kind of information you give to the PTB is to read the law v.e.r.y. closely and provide the minimum. According to HSLDA (and are you a member? If not, why not???) parents are just supposed to submit a "'description of curriculum,' which is a list of subjects they intend to teach. Families are not required to describe the contents of individual courses." Read #4 especially, under "Options."

Lake Monticello! You can buy my house

Seriously, this is an awesome place. Wonderful homeschooling community, walk to swim or fish at the lake, just east of Charlottesville (it is toward Richmond/Williamsburg from Cville). All the daily shopping you need is out here, bigger stuff in Cville. It's about 25min to get downtown from the Lake. There is a Methodist church out here, and plenty more in Cville.

Best wishes,

Amy

Edited by Amy in VA

Also, we are looking for a town to live in. My goal for the next two months is to drive all over the state and find the perfect, place, but you can help!

Things we like:

College town -- Academic liberal arts leaning, not super conservative

Not tiny, not huge

Willing to accept our California family

Friendly

Drivable to mainstream shopping (Best Buy key)

Natural beauty

Sense of place, not just anonymously anywhere

Arts or crafts scene

Methodist church

We like the Charlottesville area, but it is perhaps bigger than we are looking for, and expensive. Also thought about Staunton, Lexington... any other ideas we'll add to list.

Thank you!

Kay (formerly in Cal)

Also, any good groups in Williamsburg or Arlington for this fall?

Hi Kay, glad you're here again!

Our son recommends Harrisonburg or Staunton (about 30 minutes apart)

Friendly people both places, and Harrisonburg has a food co-op, farmers market, and large international community (two colleges - James Madison U and Eastern Mennonite U) so many ethnic restaurants, etc.

Between Harrisonburg and Staunton - Green Valley Book Fair - wonderful place for bibliophiles.

Staunton has a Shakespearian theater and Mary Baldwin College (women's college).

We lived in Charlottesville and then Palmyra (about 45 min from C-ville) for a few years and when we moved back west our son stayed on to go to college - and is still there. He prefers Harrisonburg/Staunton to C-ville.

Good luck; keep us posted where you land-

Dana

HEAV has lots of great info for hs'ing in VA.

http://heav.org/basicinfo/howtobegin/index.html

Here is a getting started link. Somewhere there is a form you can use for your NOI. I just sent mine last week with last year's test scores. For the curr. requirement, I typed out a list of each subject and the primary text we will be using for each. Like FLL for Grammar. That's what I did last year and had no problems. You don't have to be super specific.

Oh and I would file wherever you are residing the most. If you aren't really living in either place and just staying in hotels both ways, then I would file with where ever you pay state taxes. If you still own a home in California, then I would continue to file with them and then switch over to Va once you get settled.

Harrisonburg/Staunton are good bets, as is Blacksburg. Traffic in Charlottesville is horrendous and housing prices are very high. Harrisonburg and Staunton are going to be more conservative than Cville, however. I don't know about Blacksburg, but with a big university there, it won't be very right leaning.

As for the NOI, I wouldn't do anything until you are either permanently in a location or know you will be in one place for a long time (long enough to get driver's licenses and register to vote).

While I would love to have you down here, this area is very conservative (even though they will vote democrat). Our artsy-ness is growing, however. They say Abingdon is the next Asheville only smaller.

Thanks for all the responses! I think we'll just wait, then... we are going to get a post office box here, but not a permanent address. We still will pay taxes in CA this year, so I think that should count. I'm thinking we shouldn't borrow trouble until we have a permanent home. Please let me know if you have any other VA advice, know of some groups we can join, etc.

For those who asked:

We moved from LA to San Diego a couple years ago because I was assigned a new church. It was a bad fit, and took up most of my emotional energy for the last two years. I'm now taking a leave of one year as we resettle here in Virginia.

Mostly we are moving because my husband continues to have health issues. Nothing life-threatening this year, but he did spend over 2 months in the hospital last year. So far this year he's had two one-week hospitalizations, but I think some of that was induced by the stress of moving. Both of our parents are out here, so I really wanted to be closer to them in case of emergency. It is just very hard to work and homeschool when he goes down. But, chronic illness is that way...

So I'm reevaluating this year. I may take a small church, may change career... but one thing I know is that we want to settle in one place. No more moving.

Thanks all!

Kay (formerly in Cal, now Three Crows)

Hmm, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The MLS # is 491023, if the following link doesn't work. You can go to http://www.mycaar.com and enter the MLS number.

http://mycaar.com/(3q1v2i3hfa511be1j555ef55)/propertySearch.aspx?fromSearchForm=true&moreSearchMode=true&openHouseSearch=&sitecode=&gateway_la_code=&gateway_lo_code=&scope=&loo_category=1&arr_prop_type=&mortgageSp1=mortgageSp&rng_loan_price=&rng_loan_price=&tex_Annual_rate_interest=&tex_Term_of_loan=&rng_current_price=&rng_current_price=&act_ilo_subdivision=&num_bedrooms=NA&num_baths_full+%2B+decode%28baths_half%2Cnull%2C0%2Cbaths_half%29=NA&tex_zip=&tex_mls_acct=&tex_address=35+zephyr&tex_city=&mortgageSp2=mortgageSp&mortgageSp3=mortgageSp&ftr_business_type=&mortgageSp4=mortgageSp&arr_prop_type=&mortgageSp5=mortgageSp&mortgageSp6=mortgageSp&btnMoreSearch.x=0&btnMoreSearch.y=0&arr_area=

Mostly we are moving because my husband continues to have health issues. Nothing life-threatening this year, but he did spend over 2 months in the hospital last year. So far this year he's had two one-week hospitalizations, but I think some of that was induced by the stress of moving. Both of our parents are out here, so I really wanted to be closer to them in case of emergency. It is just very hard to work and homeschool when he goes down. But, chronic illness is that way...

So I'm reevaluating this year. I may take a small church, may change career... but one thing I know is that we want to settle in one place. No more moving.

Thanks all!

Kay (formerly in Cal, now Three Crows)

We've been down that road too, although DH is stable now after four surgeries last summer. Mine are more and more independent, but it still was tough going for six years, and we can't assume that it will always be this way. We've never had family close by, but thankfully have several trusted families in the area that have filled in.

Welcome to Virginia!

You may enjoy looking at Ashland, VA. It is a small college town and has many neat features -- coffee house/music venue, nice cafes, etc. It's a few miles from big box shopping (Target, Best Buy) and about 20 minutes from Richmond, which is an eclectic city with art, culture, restaurants, and home to Virginia Commonwealth University.

Ashland is in Hanover County, which is very homeschool friendly. Duncan Memorial Methodist Church is right in town, and there are other churches in the area as well. Feel free to PM me, as I live in the area.

Good luck with your decision!

Hi Kay! Welcome back to the area! We met for dinner at a pub in Williamsburg a few years ago (trying to remember how long it has been... I remember being pregnant, but I don't know which kid I was pregnant with LOL!!).

I am in the Hampton Roads area, a group of cities in the souteast corner of VA. We only fit a couple of your criteria, but if you want to come visit and look around, let me know! There are little pockets that fit more of your criteria than others, but only visiting this area will give you a true sense for it (we have the beach that is usable year round!).

There is a classical co-op in Williamsburg, but I do think they are rather conservative. Actually, the vast majority of co-ops in this area are conservative, but the one we have attended for the last 4 years is very welcoming of all types of homeschoolers.

As for the VA NOI, it isn't a big deal at all. If you decide to file here and would like to see mine I would be happy to private message you a copy (which gives only slightly more info than I am legally required to submit, but I called the school system and asked what info they were looking for in an NOI and I was fine with it).

I hope you find a place soon so you are able to get settled a bit!

Edited by Colleen in SEVA
typos

You've gotten good advice on where to live. I lived in Cville for three years and liked it. I think there are a lot of smaller towns outside Cville that would be slightly less expensive but still meet your stated desires.

For the NOI I used the one from the HEAV site. I just plug in our info and send it in each year.

Also, you do not have to do testing each year. Another way to meet the requirement is to have an evaluation by someone who states that the child is "making adequate progress". I used to think this had to be some kind of qualified evaluator but when I read the law more carefully realized anyone who has a master's degree in an academic subject or anyone who has a VA license to teach can do it. I had a good friend who has a master's in English and used to be a teacher do ours. It was a very gentle way for my son to have his first evaluation (and fun to listen to them talk for 2 hours about what he'd learned this year). I paid her a small amount since she went above and beyond the bare requirements. I know there are people in our area (NOVA) who do this as a business, but wherever you end up you might be able to find someone who has a master's and is happy to do the evaluation for you if you want to avoid the testing.

Also, if you are going to be in Arlington semi-regularly you might want to check out two groups. One is the Arlington yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arlingtonhsfamilies/ It's a mostly secular group, fairly liberal. There are no meetings or things but it's fairly active and there are frequent park days and notices about various classes, free ice-skating, etc. I don't do a ton with them but I have gotten a lot of info from there.

Another thing that is helpful in this area in general is Sharenet. It's a free bimonthly email newsletter with a ton of opportunities of stuff to do in Northern Virginia (it also sometimes has stuff in Virginia in general). You write Sharenet@att.net and just ask to be added to the list.

Finally, Williamsburg does have homeschooler weeks in September. http://www.history.org/History/teaching/groupTours/SchoolandYouth/homeschools.cfm I've never been but we plan to go this year for the first time.

Oh, and we kept hearing about bad traffic, but that hasn't been our experience at all. I think it must depend on where you live. And really, it must all be relative. We used to live in L.A.

:iagree:

Really the traffic is nothing compared to traffic in major cities. It would take me maybe 15 minutes instead of 10 to get certain places and the "traffic" times would only last for about 30 minutes in the morning and evening.

Looking in Albemarle County would help as far as housing costs go. Going out a little further would still make for an easy commute to the city center and open up housing options.

If you don't see what you want in Albemarle County, look west at Crozet (great little town), south at North Garden or Scottsville, or north at Ruckersville. The housing costs are much lower but you still have easy access Charlottesville.

Just a couple of comments:

1. How jealous am I that you'll live so close to Williamsburg!!!!

2. The rule of thumb on the kind of information you give to the PTB is to read the law v.e.r.y. closely and provide the minimum. According to HSLDA (and are you a member? If not, why not???) parents are just supposed to submit a "'description of curriculum,' which is a list of subjects they intend to teach. Families are not required to describe the contents of individual courses." Read #4 especially, under "Options."

The model from HSLDA has what I consider to be an error. If you are filing under the paragraph of the parent having a high school or college degree, their sample says that you will provide a copy of the diploma or transcript upon request. It looks to my (non lawyer eyes) that the law does say that you will provide a copy of the relevant document. My school district did in fact ask for a copy of this.

To my mind, rather than not providing info that isn't legally required, this makes it seem like we couldn't follow the law in submitting our NOI. I found it interesting that only one of the statewide homeschool organizations followed HSLDA's send only if requested format.

I don't have a beef with HSLDA and have been a member for almost a decade. But I don't agree with the forms template in this case.

I don't think there would really be that much of an issue with starting in one district and then changing mid year if you find a place. Just judging by how long it has taken us to get settled places, if you haven't even picked a city at this point, then it might easily be the end of the school year before you are moved in at a new district. Pick the city that seems to be where you spend the most time, has the most permanent address or has the better rep for homeschooling. Since the OP is staying within VA, the testing requirements or other proof of progress requirements would be the same. It's just a matter of where you send the results.

We moved into our district mid year and had no issue with registering with them at that late date (March). Fairfax Co has tons of homeschoolers, so I don't think they really bat an eye anymore.

The model from HSLDA has what I consider to be an error. If you are filing under the paragraph of the parent having a high school or college degree, their sample says that you will provide a copy of the diploma or transcript upon request. It looks to my (non lawyer eyes) that the law does say that you will provide a copy of the relevant document. My school district did in fact ask for a copy of this.

To my mind, rather than not providing info that isn't legally required, this makes it seem like we couldn't follow the law in submitting our NOI. I found it interesting that only one of the statewide homeschool organizations followed HSLDA's send only if requested format.

I don't have a beef with HSLDA and have been a member for almost a decade. But I don't agree with the forms template in this case.

I don't think there would really be that much of an issue with starting in one district and then changing mid year if you find a place. Just judging by how long it has taken us to get settled places, if you haven't even picked a city at this point, then it might easily be the end of the school year before you are moved in at a new district. Pick the city that seems to be where you spend the most time, has the most permanent address or has the better rep for homeschooling. Since the OP is staying within VA, the testing requirements or other proof of progress requirements would be the same. It's just a matter of where you send the results.

We moved into our district mid year and had no issue with registering with them at that late date (March). Fairfax Co has tons of homeschoolers, so I don't think they really bat an eye anymore.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. I just sent in my NOI 2 weeks ago for the 2010-2011 school year as we just recently moved here. I sent in his test results last Friday. I use the form off of VA Homeschoolers, write a couple sentences about our plans, and a copy of my college degree. Done.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/NOI_form.asp

This page also has a good amount of info and some sample NOI's.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/filing_NOI.asp

Good luck!!

Is it really that easy? If I were to send one in, should it be in Arlington or Williamsburg? Which is easier? And do people really have access to their high school diplomas? I haven't seen mine for years. I have a B.A. and an M.Div., but both are framed--and in our household goods in a storage unit in CA. I think. Again, been in the garage for years.

I sent for a copy of my college final transcript that had my graduating info on it. I decided I should probably have a copy anyway, so I used that for proof of college degree.

If you want a copy of an NOI letter, I'd be happy to email you mine. Just PM me your email address if you want to see it. I've used the same basic thing in Albemarle County and Fluvanna County, and never had a problem.